close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Substantial :: Official Substantial Sacrifice Discussion Thread ::

I love the live instruments on My Favorite Things
sounds real nice

I think like a lot of people here, I wasn’t feeling it it first listen. I think the problem is that I get so excited about these releases that when they drop, I expect every song to jump out of my headphones and kick me to the floor with awesomeness.

When I first heard Sacrificial Lambs I was a bit suprised that stan chose to leave out some songs I really liked (like Hammered, that was awesome and I don’t hear SOS enough) and now I totally understand why. Sacrifice works in so many ways and there are so many fantastic tracks.

This album reminds me a lot of Archetype and Whutduzfmstand4 in the way that it doesn’t neccesarily just sound like an album, but a representation of what the artist is in the dopest form. There are all sorts of different types of tracks that are all equally as good.

My fav song changes everytime I listen to the album. That’s a sure way of showing it’s hot as f**k.

I wouldnt say I wasnt feeling it the first time around, but the second time around I was feeling twice as much!

And I agree with everyone else that the cover art is amazing~!

Im not even sure what my favorite songs are yet!

and a couple random questions, is Keith Olbermann in the intro? and is that guy from borne ultimatum in the this instrument interlude?

bourneultimatum4.jpg

Love the album. Like others have commented, Stan’s personality comes through in every aspect of the album. It feels very candid and open. Production is on point, and Substantial’s flow is tight. I was pleasantly surprised on a number of songs on how he came over the beats (pause). Very well made album.

Mine just arrived. Headphones are on, CD is in drive.

Still waiting for mine….Sad

So i just got mine, threw it in the CD drive…and my computer just spits it right back out! I tried another CD and it worked fine, so my laptop’s not the problem..anybody else experiencing this?

I have had it in may car, in my computer, and in some random cd player and they all work fine.

The problem I experienced was ripping it onto my computer…it didn’t recognize any data on it…not the artist, producers, tracks…nothing. I had to name all the tracks myself. I don’t know whether it’s my computer being difficult, or whether that’s just the way the CD is…

^

looks like we need to work with another manufacturer. hahah

Every CD I’ve ever ripped to my computer has had empty properties for the song files..

So I’ve tried it in multiple CD players now, but my computer still won’t recognize it! WTF!!!

Here it is. After playing the shit out of this album I got my little opinions typed up for ya’ll. First thing, the flow of songs works real well. As an album, it’s very cohesive and now here’s my thoughts on each track individually.

Let it Go: Dope beat. The drum pattern is fresh. The keys are horns are jazzy and that’s my cup of tea. Stan’s delivery and flow is so ill throughout the album. On this track it’s aggressive and fits the beat. (Stan we need the lyrics up!) A lot of good lines.

That Damn Good: Drums are so tight once again. The sample came out mad clean. Listen with good headphones and production sounds tight. Stan does his thing and proves he’s that damn good. At first I wanted a hook on this track, but it’s definitely better without one. Stan just goes 2:51 of doing what he has to. Dope track.

Chain Reaction: This beat is just fuckin fresh. Drums ain’t crazy, but the beat sets up Stan to spit a crazy flow. Concept of song is so dope and that trippy sound in the background is crazy. I like it a lot, my only gripe is that it’s not as clean as it coulda been. The sample popping noise makes it grimey, and for me personally it woulda been doper if it was cleaner. The popping sound gets a bit annoying, but overall I’d never skip this track.

Resurrection of the House Party: Cool

U Can Get It: Jazzy. And once again that means I’m vibing to this beat. The drum switch makes it better. Groovy bass and keys are nice. I like how Stan approached this song with a lower tone. Very smooth and fits the song well especially with some very sick lines. Eventually it gets a bit repetitive, but Stan’s genius makes it go into This Instrument with a nice solo.

My Favorite Things
: One of my favorite QN5 tracks ever. The intro puts you into the mood right away with the keys. “Let’s do it” and bang drums hit and Steph (who is fuckin brilliant) kills the hook. This beat is just bonkers. Once again killer keys. In my opinion, Stan spits his best verses on this track. The flow is oh so ridiculous. Like, ya’ll realize how many times he switches it? The horns that come in are a perfect touch. A fun perspective on a topic that too many emcees forget to celebrate. The outro with the live instruments letting loose. I get lost in the music everytime. Beautiful.

4DozDatDonKno: I don’t like this song. It don’t mean it ain’t good, cos a lot of heads here like it. This would probably kill a show. Shit knocks. I’m just not crazy about the beat. It’s too abrasive for me. The vocal sample bugs me. I don’t know why. Stan kills it nonetheless. His personality on this track is recognizable. When it changes to the violin ... yeah, it just doesn’t do it for me. I may be the only person who isn’t feeling this track so it is what it is.

It’s You: This beat sucks. Who the fuck produced this? Jokes. This track is still my shit after months of having it, andit still hits home in a lot of ways. Can’t wait for the video.

Go Wait: This is like.. a lot of fun. LoL. Go! Go! Go!

Spaticus: Chea! I feel like Stan coulda killed it more on the 1st verse. Not that he’s whack by any means on this track. I feel like he coulda came stronger with the flow. This is the one track I’d tell him in person that I feel like he coulda done better on the first verse. The 2nd verse and on is fuckin bonkers. The delivery and swag just fits the beat more from this point on. Nonetheless, I’m done complaining about it cos this track is still fire.

A.P.G Boy: At first I wasn’t feeling this track. I dug the lyrics a lot. The beat just put me to sleep though. The soul guitar is fresh and it’s another thing I’m a stickler for but it was still dull to me. The beat is growing on me. It has all the elements I like, it may be that I’m not feelin it after a certain amount of time.

The Wake Up Call: Cool idea. I like how Stan’s voice is a bit distorted. Fits the idea. The beat is mad fresh like I just ...woke ...up. Hey, wudddya know! Good job with putting this song together. The break fuckin vibes. Gotta gotta get it together. I’m still in college, but I’m sure a lot of ppl on here are noddin in agreement throughout this whole song. Fuck wakin up for class is hard enough. Beat’s dope. (once again… lyrics gotta get posted!) Aside from the literal point of the song I like the idea of Stan talking to himself. The reflection of important things in his life and how he handles it from family to job are universal things that really hit on this track. I could write more on this one, but I’m sure more heads will write on it.

Labor Pains: My second fav track. Guitar is real nice. It’s a bit cluttered, but the change in melodies keeps it fresh. So many ridiculous lines. I’m a social issue type of dude, so when a QN5 artist releases a song in this field, I usually feel it a lot. I repeat this a lot cos there are so many dope lines. My favorite message on the album. Please play this song and listen to lyrics! The outro when Stan is talking about pushing. Sweet touch with just the notes being played alone till the baby cries. Love this.

QT: Haha this is my shit. Ladies gonna love this one. Great transition as far as production goes from LP to this. Stan sounds mad sharp on this. Quality of vocals seems best on this track. The horn is just screamin sex music. I love this track. ‘We gon work it out’. I love the verses. Once again, I’m not at the point where I can relate to this song as much as others, but it still speaks to me. I’m sure as I age it’ll hit home even more. The flow towards the end is real tight with the hook as it leads to the ending. The vocals humming in the background is a real nice touch.

Sign Language: Not even close to done digesting this. Need lyrics. Concept is real fresh. All emcees were dope. The beat fits the pace of the story real well. These guys are soo good.

Hood Hope: Emotional track. At 1:53… Damn. Like seriously.. Steph once again gives it a real nice touch. I like can’t help but wanna feel for this track. Every verse just has so much substance. 3:20 is just fuckin dope. That shit made us dance at the IC show on some Gospel ish. 4:05 it comes back. I love this ending. Great way to end the album. “Nothing can stop me now!” Chea Stan! Aiight, as I finish my fanboy behavior. I felt that the album should have just ended there, but I mean you gots Kool Herc on your album! No one has commented on this. Fuckin man began this shit. He’s on Stan’s album. Idk, I think it’s pretty cool. Once again, I love the ending before ‘Sacrifice’ , but it still works in it’s own way. Nice touch with the fading of “Give it up, Let it Go”, which is also the name of the second track. I wonder if this could have been the introduction instead of what’s there now, but ahh fuck it. Stan did what he wanted and that’s all that matters.

Anyways, I’ma bump this for a while. Most important thing is that if you really do mean it when you say, “Substantial is dope! I like this album a lot!,” please please help do something about it. As Tone showed us how to help promote it, us Blue Schoolers gotta contribute as much as we can. It’s really not hard. We wait for releases and they finally come and it’s our chance as fans to participate in the culture by helping the hustle, or for relevant terms—helping the sacrifice. I personally think Stan is beyond dope and his name in the U.S. isn’t near where it should be. If Japan can do it, so can we. That is all.

Thanks for a dope project Stan.

The Obvious said:The problem I experienced was ripping it onto my computer…it didn’t recognize any data on it…not the artist, producers, tracks…nothing. I had to name all the tracks myself. I don’t know whether it’s my computer being difficult, or whether that’s just the way the CD is…

I noticed that, the first time I listened to it in my car I was always grabbing the CD and look at the back. And I almost crashed a few times!

Bosoxfanpw7 said:

The Obvious said:The problem I experienced was ripping it onto my computer…it didn’t recognize any data on it…not the artist, producers, tracks…nothing. I had to name all the tracks myself. I don’t know whether it’s my computer being difficult, or whether that’s just the way the CD is…

I noticed that, the first time I listened to it in my car I was always grabbing the CD and look at the back. And I almost crashed a few times!

LMAO

Kags said:4DozDatDonKno: I don’t like this song. It don’t mean it ain’t good, cos a lot of heads here like it. This would probably kill a show. Shit knocks. I’m just not crazy about the beat. It’s too abrasive for me. The vocal sample bugs me. I don’t know why. Stan kills it nonetheless. His personality on this track is recognizable. When it changes to the violin ... yeah, it just doesn’t do it for me. I may be the only person who isn’t feeling this track so it is what it is.

BUGGIN!

Anyway, I’m just here to chime in that Sacrifice is an amazing album… It has a little bit of everything, from deep shit, to romance, to shit that knocks out the whip. Put more tracks up on your Facebook off the album… it’s hard advertising when there’s only one track on there from Sacrifice!

Could we get My Favorite Things on the MySpace page?

I think I can now crown My Favorite Things as my favorite track off the album.. with honorable mentions That Damn Good, A P.G. Boy, Hood Hope, and Quality Time.

Steph is pretty ill.

I’m pretty happy with this album. I originally felt like Stan had some good solo work in the past, but nothing all that great. Then Sacrificial Lambs dropped and had some cool stuff with a few really nice tracks (What U Want in particular, along with Big Foot, I Own You, Opium, & The Starving Artist) which really had me thinking he was seriously capable of some stellar stuff.. and yeah.. Sacrifice has proven so nicely.

cosign on the My Favorite Things on Myspace

houstonz said:Could we get My Favorite Things on the MySpace page?

Done. I also added That Damn Good the original for good measure. Wink Holla

thanks stan

Aight when I first opened it I fumbled cd when I took it out and now there is a small scratch on it, before I even got a chance to play it. FUCK. Luckily it has not fucked up yet.

Listening to it the first time now, on Labour Pains. I’ve found out why it took 6 years to make, great job.

Just got through my first listen. Man… I enjoyed every second of it. One thing I noticed which I don’t think has been discussed yet is the detail and layering of the vocals on the tracks. I love those little elements which aren’t in the forefront or may not be apparant at first, but truly enhance each song with its subtlety. (e.g. Stan’s adlibs, Tone’s lush background singing). I just wanted to point out my appreciation for the meticulousness and taking the Quality Time (yes, pun) to put 110% into every track—truly the mark of a great album. Congrats, Substantial. Another QN5 gem. Wink

Oh yeah… “My Favorite Things” makes my heart smile.

Great job on the release Stan. Came in the mail this morning along with Dirty Acres. Haven’t got a chance to listen to the whole thing yet but what I’ve heard so far is great. I’ll come back after it has had a chance to sink in. Album art is fantastic as well.

For those of you that were not able to get the track names artist etc when ripping I added the information to musicbrainz.org

http://musicbrainz.org/release/8d5bad64-be12-4f78-9020-db3448923f33.html

I run Linux (Ubuntu) and the default ripper (Sound Juicer) couldn’t find the track names either. Dirty Acres worked so I added the info for Sacrifice to that database. If any of you run Linux that should do the trick. So all two of you can thank me later.

I’ll be back after I get through the whole album. Congrats again Stan.

Q.T. is my favorite jam in a very long time.

Stan, I have to say man, the album is really tight. I’ve never bought your mixtapes or anything over the years, but I’ve always enjoyed you at shows and on compilations and just felt that Sacrifice would be a work of art…so I copped and I was not disappointed.

That Damn Good is just monstrous, just like it is at shows. My Favorite Things is really well done, Steph kills and your flow is impeccable, plus the live drums sound really tight. There are some really creative songs on this album that I think are going to take me a few listens to fully appreciate as well. Spaticus is rugged and P.G. Boy is nice on the story-telling tip. I love Labor Pains, it’s definitely one of my favorites on the album…Tone killed it with that beat, the spanish guitar sounds beautiful underneath the picture you paint with the lyrics. The jazzy feel of a some of these songs, QT in particular, is really nice to listen to. Sign Language is really well done…fucking christ, Tone’s verse is intricate (maybe even for Tone)...your verse is really tight too. The album finishes really strong with Hood Hope (once again Steph really adds nice touches vocally) and Sacrifice is a nice little finishing touch. It’s a really nice album Stan, the work you put in definitely shows.

Peace.

I’m loving the album more and more every time I hear it.
Kags you crazy 4DozDatDonKno is that shit. Cool
Resurrection of the House Party always makes me wanna get up and dance Wink

Here’s something I will say about this album, I certainly love it.

I know for some of you, it’s been tough to come off of Dirty Acres into Sacrifice so quickly. It’s a completely different sound. This record is certainly the “jazziest” QN5 record that we’ve done so far, but even with the multiple producers I still think it feels like a baby blue release (as some of you have noted). But it has it’s own pacing, that’s uniquely Substantial’s, so I can see where the “i didn’t like it at first” comments are coming from.

The same goes for alot of great albums. Things with depth take some time to get into. And believe me, there’s alot of stuff I don’t think has been touched on in this topic thus far (ie. the definitive split of the album into two halves, or a dissection multiple storylines in “Sign Language”). But I’m hoping we’ll get into that.

With that said, as some of you have already noticed… once you get past the initial “I want every single song to blow me away on the first listen” phase, you start to appreciate it from what it is - one man’s examination of his own mundane existence as he struggles to create. I think Amen nailed it on the head with his comment - all of this is real life, autobiographical stuff. If you listen to this album, you KNOW Substantial by the end of it.

And I have to say - being entertaining while reveling in the mundane is extremely difficult. This is something I think Common does beautifully, and Substantial, IMO picks up the torch and carries it up to the next level.

Just to add to the convo, I’m a big fan of “Q.T.” cause I can relate 100%. I’ve almost adopted it as my personal anthem myself. FINAL produced it, but I laid alot of extra keys/vocals on it. There’s a special little part at the beginning of the 3rd verse that kills me. The snare drops out and I bring in this little piano sequence underneath the horns. I nearly turned it into its own song cause I loved the way it emoted his point. The cadence/pattern Stan rocks is key and he managed to fit exactly what he needed to say within that container and that to me, is real skill.

I can go on and on all day, but I’ll save another song for another thread.

... as you were, folks.

Hollerate!
Tone

QN5 said:This record is certainly the “jazziest” QN5 record that we’ve done so far

...and I’m so glad, ‘cause in my humble opinion, I think he sounds best with that vibe and it compliments his voice so well. Personally, my favorite Substantial joints happen to be those which are on that jazzy, smoothed out tip. (“Q.T.”, “What U Want”, “My Favorite Things”, “Eclipse”, “Hood Hope” [Smooth RMX], The Joe Brothers, etc.)

P.S. “Sign Language” needs a video—“Move In, Ride Out” comic book style. Idea

I_Khan said:

QN5 said:This record is certainly the “jazziest” QN5 record that we’ve done so far

...and I’m so glad, ‘cause in my humble opinion, I think he sounds best with that vibe and it compliments his voice so well. Personally, my favorite Substantial joints happen to be those which are on that jazzy, smoothed out tip.

Word to that. The Blessing It (Remix) is one of my favorite songs by Stan (as are “Let It Go” and “Q.T.”). Don’t get me wrong though, “That Damn Good” and “Spaticus” are a force to be reckoned with for sure.

Stan + Nujabes = Hip-hop crakkrokk