close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Substantial :: Official Substantial Sacrifice Discussion Thread ::

still waiting for mine to come in the mail! i didn’t pre order it, so i’m not worried. but it should be here soon and as soon as it comes i’ll post my reaction!

cant wait.

im really sick and i didnt really have expectations to get out of bed unless i absolutely had to.
but my mom brought me a handful of mail and she was like

nursing stuff..
oh and some package from u..g..h..h..
whatever that is

i jumped out of bed.
will discuss as soon as i finish listeninggggggggg :]

Good Album, I Like It.

The interlude at the end of That Damn Good is so damn money. (I’m trying to start a new saying)

Listening to the album again today, I noticed that “It’s You (I Think)” sets up the second half of the album perfectly. During the intro, he says “The following tales of love, confusion and heartbreak are true. Let’s go!” From that point on, the mood shifts and the tracks to follow are all laced with various struggles/pain/sacrifices. I just think that’s very cool foreshadowing.

The more and more I listen to this album…it just keeps gettin better. Labor Pains and QT are just so damn nutso.

Labor Pains is so damn real!

This is a big time album from Stan. My favorites are 4DozDatDontKno, The Wake Up Call, Labor Pains (loved the double meaning/not-so-average hip hop approach on this and the entire album), and Hood Hope.

There definitely are some very fresh ideas and takes…very entertaining.

I was stuck in traffic while Sign Language and most of Hood Hope was on. Then I started picking up some speed and heard the “Nothing can stop me now” part…needless to say I picked it up to like 90.

QN5: We Make That Shit That You Drive To Then Take Out of Your Car and Listen To Some More

stan spits. solid debut bruh

Something I Noticed:

In that damn good, Stan kinda shouts out Madlib. Which is interesting seeing as the beat has the same sample as The Hand That Leads You by Percee P produced by none other then Madlib hehe.

I prefer That Damn Good though, Madlib’s beat and Percee’s raps were boring imo.

szabo said:Something I Noticed: In that damn good, Stan kinda shouts out Madlib. Which is interesting seeing as the beat has the same sample as The Hand That Leads You by Percee P produced by none other then Madlib hehe.

I hate when that happens. That Damn Good was actually one of the first songs done for Sacrifice way back yonder years ago. It’s just another one of those unfortunate coincidences. It’s great that you caught that though. Means you’re listening.

szabo said:I prefer That Damn Good though.

Likewise, I think Algo destroyed that ‘tune’ and made it knock way harder.

Now, I’m just waiting for a discussion re: Sign Language. That shit is like, a new watermark in storytelling on a hip hop track. lol Too much to digest, folks?

Hollerate.

That Damn Good was on 28 Tracks Later as well, and that’s like 4 years ago, so that track has been around for a while.

QN5 said:Algo destroyed that ‘tune’ and made it knock way harder.

sorry i havent written it up yet. i love the album and i’ll write a full review eventually.

sign language is taking me hella long to digest.

QN5 said:I’m just waiting for a discussion re: Sign Language. That shit is like, a new watermark in storytelling on a hip hop track. lol Too much to digest, folks?

I got Sign Language only after a few listens (and some serious concentration), but I simply cannot get over when it comes along on the CD.

My absolute favorite track on the album is Q.T., a slow, soothing song that you can just sit back and kick it to, but then here comes Sign Language, which literally crashes right into your palette. Now I am FULLY aware that this is exactly what y’all were seeking to accomplish, but I can truly say that I am not digging that decision. At all. I find myself having to skip that track just because I still want to ride out my Q.T. high that Sign Language totally smothers.

Sign Language
is a brilliant song, but for me, it has to be the first song I listen to when I boot the CD up. Great single, guys.

wtf on the lack of discussion.

u can get it makes me wanna have sex.
hahaha

^ Dangerous stuff to write on an internet forum, you being of female gender and all.

Sign Language Is Seriously so hard to follow, crossing back and forth between characters and time going back and forth..lol

But after 5 straight listens I am starting to get it

Also…This album has grown on me SO MUCH, At first I thought it was good, and that has progressed to Great now. Im guessing it will be Classic in a couple weeks rofl.

^^^

yea i agree. Lemme listen a few mo times and then i’ll comment some mo.

One thing I’ve noticed after listening to My Favorite Things and A P.G. Boy so much is that when QN5 does songs with real instrumentation, they always turn out ill as fuck. (My Favorite Things, A P.G. Boy, The Light, Mexico, Gathered, etc.)

I could have sworn APG Boy was sampled on the beat just because it feels somehow familiar…you would know more then me though Smile

I had to check the booklet to make sure.

PG. Boy is 100% original instrumentation.

szabo said:Sign Language Is Seriously so hard to follow, crossing back and forth between characters and time going back and forth..lol

Sign Language is a great song/story!

I’ve been sitting down trying to follow the story and make ALL the connections.

bry said:

szabo said:Sign Language Is Seriously so hard to follow, crossing back and forth between characters and time going back and forth..lol

Sign Language is a great song/story!

I’ve been sitting down trying to follow the story and make ALL the connections.

Agreed. It’s catchy, complex, and has a ton of replay value…Somehow they can probably make a video about it even thought it’d be tough because there are characters you’re not supposed to see until certain times I guess. It is one of those few songs you can make your own video for in your head though. Unreal.

Finally got it… am really enjoying it & look forward to listening to it more.
Great job! Smile

Yeah Sign Language Is Amazing.

Aiighty…so I promised I’d post more once I gave the album more listens…and here I am. I have to admit I haven’t listened to the album much recently (or any music for that matter) since my ipod got stolen. I basically only listen now when I get home from work that is until I get a new ipod (can we say ipod touch people Wink) and sacrifice has been the only thing I’ve played in those few moments I get to listen to music without the portability I’ve been used to. That is until the BBFP EP dropped…been on that for a short minute.

Now I’m not gonna give a song by song review because it seems like there’s already been enough of that. I just want to hand it to Stan man…Gee-Zus…excellent job sir. I haven’t read all the posts in this thread but the thing I appreciate most is the work that was put into Sacrifice and how much Stan has grown…honestly…or at least how much he’s grown with respect to the music I’ve heard over the years.

This is true of the entire camp, and of most artists in general, you get better in your craft after you’ve had time to hone it. But here we have a guy who went from HFYS, Invisble Man & Substantial Evidence (great concepts, amazing punchlines, etc, etc) to Make Da Face and Sacrificial Lambs which both kind of give a hint of what was to come in Sacrifice. Having said that, in my opinion, all those albums solidify Stan as a good artist, better than a lot of people in the game…but never “exceptional”...until Sacrifice. Granted, with the exception of HFYS the other releases are all mixtapes and I don’t own Unto This Union a Son Was Born.

It’s just that…Sacrifice puts so much out there…so many feelings, personal and conceptual, so many different ideas, so many different vibes…and yet everything meshes so well. Stan also gives such a variety in his different performances, variety we’ve seen before but never in such harmony from song to song. This is easily my favorite album at the moment…and it just keeps growing on me.

Kudos.

As a side bar…I always wear the shit out of albums I enjoy…play them for decades and that sort of thing (which I will probably do with this album). I am not the type of person that listens to an album and then says “can’t wait for the next one to come out now” after two spins. I definitely enjoy the music I like before I start looking for new material. But…Sign Language…has me so amped for another EF@MM album…sheeeeeiiiit. All anybody can do is pray that when it comes out you don’t shit on the industry so badly that it puts 90% of rappers out of business…or maybe you do want that… Razz

I’m stumped as to how this album hasn’t gotten as much discussion as other QN5 albums have.

It really is a dope album.. some joints that I’m personally not feelin too much.. but still a good handful of real, real nice songs. Which is why I’m like “what the fuck?”

So anyway.. I’m still fuckin impressed by My Favorite Things and A P.G. Boy.. I love em

Thanks for that Houstonz.

I’ve been trying not to bitch and moan about it but I definitely noticed that as well. I appreciate the feedback that yall have given whether you felt it or not.

Thank you guys for supporting the project and especially to all of you who have been spreading the word.