close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Substantial :: Official Substantial Sacrifice Discussion Thread ::

it is by FAR my favorite release so far of 2008. If it would have dropped in 11/07, it would have easily been in my top 5 CDs in 2007. Slowly, ‘Stan is becoming my favorite emcee on Qn5.

Oh and Resurrection of the House Party is the shit.

I think That Damn Good should be able to hook anyone who’s not a) anti-rap, b) anti-fun or c) on some gotta be crazy Aesop Rock type shit.. for real

It’s You (I Think) also has some good potential for pullin attention I think.. Especially with the video lookin nice & professional as it does.

i’ll admit the reason i haven’t been able to discuss it is because i suck at life Smile. i’ve just been incredibly busy, but i didnt want to come on here and give a half assed review about an album that deserves much more than that. it’s easy to come on to the site and post a quick response, but for this thread i need to take my time. hopefully time will come after my spring break, but so stan doesn’t feel neglected i’ll just give my general impression.

i usually don’t like buying whole albums, especially now with single songs so easily accessible. i find whole albums to (usually) be boring because it’s really hard for people not to sound the same or give the same feel on most of the songs. that is one complain i could never make with stan’s album. the music is so diverse (whether it be the content, the flow, the rhythm/beats, or stan himself). i first played through the album while on a major cleaning craze but it wasnt successful because everytime i new song came on i’d have to run back to the computer to a-look at the title and b- convince myself i was still listening to the same album.

can’t pick a favorite yet because i know im still biased for “its you (i think)” having loved that song before i even got the album, but after listening to it more and more i feel like im picking up new favorites and i’ll let you know when that happens.

oldskool said:i usually don’t like buying whole albums, especially now with single songs so easily accessible. i find whole albums to (usually) be boring because it’s really hard for people not to sound the same or give the same feel on most of the songs.

I prefer entire albums, and usually listen to albums with minimal skippage. I press play and ride it out. I also repeat songs I like over and over in the process…been happenning to Sacrifice quite a bit!!

Prophessah Nino said:I prefer entire albums, and usually listen to albums with minimal skippage. I press play and ride it out.

And Sacrifice is perfect for just that
Although the record for the most part sounds “jazzy” and has that special kinda vibe to it, I think it’s one of the most versatile records I’ve heard in a while.
Alot of albums today sound the same from start to finish, every song basically just being a blueprint of the last one.. And that’s okay if you like that stuff, but from a listeners point of view (and I mean LISTENER, like myself, who actually makes an effort to really understand and solve the mystery of the record.. As opposed to the music just being background static) - I think it’s important to cover more bases. Touch on more than one subject and one style of music.
Stan does this in a spectacular way.
First and foremost he’s one of the best rappers out there today, but I also think he made a wise decision putting all those different producers on the record. They all mixed in their own flavor making this a record that honestly can’t be labeled. It’s just too much going on. Sooo many different types of music. But still maintaining that crucial red line throughout the album.
it just works!

I feel bad for just now getting this (though it was technically on Saturday I got it). This is actually the first CD i’ve bought since DA.

But yeah, definitely an awesome CD. Keep making quality music ‘Stan.

Better late than never. Thanks for the support.

finally got it!!! could have gotten it in austin for 10 bucks but was broke haha

i’m fucking daft, but it has taken me nearly five months to realize that session doesn’t have a verse on “sign language”. what’s up with that?

I believe it goes something like this : session was not a fan of the direction that efamm was taking and wanted out.

Hey folks if you have questions for the man (Algorythm) that produced:

- That Damn Good (Original & Remix)
- U Can Get It
- The Wake Up Call
- Sign Language
- Sacrifice (Bonus Cut)

Post them here: http://qn5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=219867#219867

Thanks for showing love to those who show me love.

this album to me is what archetype, orange moon over brooklyn & wdfms4? was when they were released… an album that does not require you to skip tracks…

I’ve seen stan kill his sets doing That damn good, resurrection of a house party and chain reaction but the song that i am most anticipating for my next show is my favorite things… with a live band behind him… yeah, that would be some shit… just like heads and tails (one of my favorites on ****) this song is chill as fuck and i think its kinda over looked because of the other great tracks on the album… but then again thats why this album is great…

keef gives it a 2 arms up \o/

I just realized I LOVE Labor Pains. (The song, not the pains Smile)

Anyone still listening to the LP in December?

I was just listening to it on my 360 while I was playing Madden yesterday.

Shit yeah
Been listening alot lately

I still listen to My Favorite Things and Q.T. a lot.

Yes
That Grammy hype had me craving Substantial music

Hello, is it possible to listen to the album online ?
I’m not sure to find it in a store in France… and I can’t wait to command it smile !
Thank you for answering

Only listening to Abstract Rude, Myka 9, The A-Team and Haiku D’etat for 4-5 days really made me wanna listen to this again.. I’m still unsure if I prefer Sacrifice or Sacrificial Lambs.. Sacrificial Lambs got What You Want, Hammered, Dr. Thinkinreim, Big Foot, BBQ & I Own You, but Sacrifice got 4dozdatdonkno, It’s You (I Think), QT, Labor Pains, Sign Language & Hood Hope…

Damn I’m looking forward to more music Very Happy

Jasmine said:Hello, is it possible to listen to the album online ?
I’m not sure to find it in a store in France… and I can’t wait to command it smile !
Thank you for answering

The album is for sale digitally on iTunes in europe as well as many other european digital stores. Thank you for your support.

QN5 said:Anyone still listening to the LP in December?

Yep. There are too many hours in each month for Sacrifice not to get played in each of them. I guess that can be said about all the QN5 albums though.

QN5 said:

Jasmine said:Hello, is it possible to listen to the album online ?
Thank you for answering

The album is for sale digitally on iTunes in europe as well as many other european digital stores. Thank you for your support.

Ho nice, you know me and new technologies makes 5 (does this expression really exist in English ?) !
Thx

QN5 said:Anyone still listening to the LP in December?

yessir

I love it I love it

Wow, this is the best CD I’ve heard in years.

I can’t believe how I just found out about it today. I was on a forum and they were asking people what they were listening to right then. Someone answered Nujabes and noted that he made the theme song on Samurai Champloo. I always loved that song and never knew who it was. So I went to last.fm (which I’ve never been on but someone suggested) to listen to Nujabes and they start playing related artists and “a P.G. Boy” comes on. I was was stunned, this guy Substantial just shouted out my hometown Fort Washingon. He just named every place I’ve lived in my life. I downloaded the album from Amazon and it’s on repeat. This has just made my weekend Razz

ghettoprincess said:Wow, this is the best CD I’ve heard in years.

I can’t believe how I just found out about it today. I was on a forum and they were asking people what they were listening to right then. Someone answered Nujabes and noted that he made the theme song on Samurai Champloo. I always loved that song and never knew who it was. So I went to last.fm (which I’ve never been on but someone suggested) to listen to Nujabes and they start playing related artists and “a P.G. Boy” comes on. I was was stunned, this guy Substantial just shouted out my hometown Fort Washingon. He just named every place I’ve lived in my life. I downloaded the album from Amazon and it’s on repeat. This has just made my weekend Razz

The beauty of word of mouth, y’all. Welcome to the forums, princess!

Welcome princess I appreciate the hometown luv. Don’t be a stranger. Smile

[sheds a single manly tear.]

This album is dope.

Plus I think the artwork is the most beautiful album art I have ever seen.

My copy arrived today!

Playing it now and off to read this thread from the beginning!

Loving what I’ve heard so far.