close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff The Monotone EP - Re-Mastered?

POLL › Should I Re-Master The Monotone EP?

Digitally Release It Now For Historical Value! 9
Wait For The Tapes and Re-Master It. 70
Total Votes: 79

This was hinted at in the past, and more recently suggested as the “special collectible” I was hinting at earlier today. THAT"S NOT WHAT IT IS. With that outta the way, I’d like to discuss this for a bit.

houstonz said:The Monotone EP re-mastered and re-pressed for the first time since the 90’s?[anticipation]

The truth is, I can only dream. Sad

The original engineer/co-producer Mannyphesto has slacked on his shipping game and has YET to ship out the original ADAT tapes to me, even after I sent him a money order for postage way back in April of 2009. The album is 15 years old as it stands, and at this point…I kinda give-up. Sad

My initial intention in getting the multi-track tapes was to remaster the entire thing from scratch so that it had the same sound quality as our current releases. Everything would be extra clean, crispy.

We didn’t have DAW’s readily available in 1996 when it was recorded, so it was all done on analog tapes - the old school way. Hence, every mix/master was done on the fly, with us doing drops manually, overdubbing by hand and there were limited tracks, etc. There are moments on the existing master where I literally CRINGE and have to turn it off because things pop out too loud, or are cut-off and just obviously wrong. It was the best we could do at the time, but the project as a whole poorly mixed due to time.

Now, It would be nice to have a proper mix of that project (which is why it’s not on iTunes & Bandcamp yet), but I’m getting to the point of ‘fuck it” with that project and just letting the historical record reflect the quality of when it was recorded. I just hate putting stuff out there that sounds amatuerish, in a day and age where iPhone apps are sonically superior to anything recorded back then.

I just have NO IDEA when this dude is going to ship me the tapes. God knows, I’ve been trying.

What do you think? Wait? or Drop it as is?

I say wait. I would love to hear how this sounds with the right treatment.

Hm. I say pull what you did with Gibson on his ass so this is a good start but if it doesn’t work then I guess go with the digital release. *shrug*

I say wait:

Everything would be extra clean, crispy.

I like the sound of that.

now its just time to come up with a strategic plan to get these tapes in your hands as soon as possible…....

DjMc1200 said:Hm. I say pull what you did with Gibson on his ass so this is a good start

hahah, Nah, we would never do that to Manny. He’s a slacker, but a genuinely good natured person… just has some life stuff that tends to get in the way apparently. I was in a group up until I started working with him on this album, so technically without him, there’d be no solo Tonedeff work.

now its just time to come up with a strategic plan to get these tapes in your hands as soon as possible…....

haha Word. We’ll keep nagging him.

^ha it happens. I didn’t mean a full on slander campaign or anything, just that I like that you’re getting the public on your side.

Wait and re-master without a doubt from me. Will be worth it in the end

HCK has the strongest bass for some reason, it shakes my car like crazy, I don’t know if that was intentional or not.

I would say wait for it, for at least another 6 months or so and then release if still don’t have the masters, but don’t spend time trying to get it if it’s to much of a hassle. Time is better spent on releasing newer music!

Tonedeff, there are ANY chances that you will get these tapes? I mean you still wait since 2009 (Two years. Damn).
Anyway, I agree with kej3210. Let’s wait.

I’d say definitely wait. Hopefully this happens soon.

I would love to hear this remastered, but honestly theres no rush - I can wait. Catm and archetype 2 are what I’m most looking forward to.

Wait for the re-mastered Smile
Sounds like an amazing idea!

Epic Aesthetic said:I would love to hear this remastered, but honestly theres no rush - I can wait. Catm and archetype 2 are what I’m most looking forward to.

I agree.

In all honesty, there are two far more important, quality albums that I believe you should focus your time and energy on now. The past is the past, but with the aspirations (musically and personally) you have you for the future, you have to ask yourself, “Is it worth it?” When people ask me about Tonedeff, they always say, “Why does he only have one album out (referring to Archetype and completely oblivious to previous albums)?” So, unless you feel it’s imperative that the public hear and have access to the album, I feel that it is what it is, so leave it be.

Epic Aesthetic said:I would love to hear this remastered, but honestly theres no rush - I can wait. Catm and archetype 2 are what I’m most looking forward to.

This

To be honest, I’m going to be the one token boy to disagree!

Remastered would be cool to do eventually… but I feel it would take away the aesthetic of the original. It definitely keeps the historical value! To be honest Tone (and don’t take this the wrong way), but I think as you made the record, only you are seeing the flaws in the original. For most of us that have no idea of what goes on in recording, producing, mastering and so on.. we really don’t hear the same things that you yourself hears. I believe it’s just the typical artist scenario who sees all the flaws in his beautiful painting that no one else does.

I do happen to have Monotone and don’t really mind when it’s re-released digitally. What you could always do, is release the original on iTunes and/or Bandcamp now and when/if Mannyphesto does get around to sending those ADAT tapes you can remaster it and drop that out too. Best of both worlds really!

cake.jpg

Have your cake and eat it too! Very Happy

Osiris said:To be honest, I’m going to be the one token boy to disagree!

Remastered would be cool to do eventually… but I feel it would take away the aesthetic of the original. It definitely keeps the historical value! To be honest Tone (and don’t take this the wrong way), but I think as you made the record, only you are seeing the flaws in the original. For most of us that have no idea of what goes on in recording, producing, mastering and so on.. we really don’t hear the same things that you yourself hears. I believe it’s just the typical artist scenario who sees all the flaws in his beautiful painting that no one else does.

I do happen to have Monotone and don’t really mind when it’s re-released digitally. What you could always do, is release the original on iTunes and/or Bandcamp now and when/if Mannyphesto does get around to sending those ADAT tapes you can remaster it and drop that out too. Best of both worlds really!

cake.jpg

Have your cake and eat it too! Very Happy

Can’t I have both? Wink

TechNician9 said:Can’t I have both? Wink

I think that was implied by what I said. lol But, yeah sure.. why not! Smile

Wait, I would love to hear a perfectly mastered Monotone. My mp3’s are probably shit.

Listening to Synthetic via Youtube. Just thought I’d bump this thread.

P.S. - Put me in for a remaster Cool

Still no ADAT. Sad

I don’t even know what to do at this point.

QN5 said:Still no ADAT. Sad

Have your attorney make a phone call.

form a guerrilla raid party

2 by four said:

Manny’s a good guy and he’s responsible for the existence of the EP to begin with, so that’s not an option… from a class/apprecation standpoint.

Maybe I should just redo the whole thing. lol

QN5 said:

2 by four said:

Manny’s a good guy and he’s responsible for the existence of the EP to begin with, so that’s not an option… from a class/apprecation standpoint.

Maybe I should just redo the whole thing. lol

Haha understandable. If you redo it tho, i foresee many ulcers in your future haha.

QN5 said:

Where does he live at now? Maybe it would just take a friendly knock at the door. Certified Blue Schooler Courier Service?

We are at your disposal…

MIB#2 said:We are at your disposal…

snlgS.gif

definitely Wait For The Tapes and Re-Master It.

He isn’t getting back at you or is he making false promises? I’d just spam his phone/mail and respectingly let him know how important this is to you and that he’d really be helping you out by doing this, send him the stamps lol.

But yeah, i figure that’s pretty much what you’ve been doing so…idk but i wish you good luck.