close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: Official Cold.Killed.Collected Discussion Thread ::

So yeah idk if Tone was gonna make this thread after the pre-orders shipped but I’m definitely glad I could grab a copy at a show. This shit bangs HARD, every track knocks like no tomorrow, it flows very coherently and nicely and I’m glad to see Mecca on the new All-Stars tracks, I’ve always liked his style. The unreleased verse to The Gates has a lot of similarities to the finished song but is 200x more complex lol. Oh and the sound quality on everything is super super crisp, I can definitely tell that a few tracks were remastered. Only Tonedeff could release a collection like this and make it sound and feel so new and fresh. Can’t wait for the next release!

Kno said on twitter that the gates beat was originally intended for chico and the man. I wonder if this unreleased verse was recorded for catm but was cut from the album along with the beat. I’m thinking it’s very possible that the verse may have been recorded for chico and the man due to the “200 x more complex” statement.

I asked Tone about it at the show and he said this verse is from after the beat was decided to be a part of A Piece of Strange but before the final cut lol he said Kno told him to make it a little more simple and fitting to the story….he kinda expanded on the topic of him being a too-technical rapper and that CATM is him going completely solo not giving a fuck about that haha it’ll make sense when you hear it bro I’m excited for yall to receive your predorders

DjMc1200 said:I asked Tone about it at the show and he said this verse is from after the beat was decided to be a part of A Piece of Strange but before the final cut lol he said Kno told him to make it a little more simple and fitting to the story….he kinda expanded on the topic of him being a too-technical rapper and that CATM is him going completely solo not giving a fuck about that haha it’ll make sense when you hear it bro I’m excited for yall to receive your predorders

Oh cool…thanks for the info.

Just picked this up at the Portland show. Had to update the track listing on the site - There’s actually 1 extra track on the CD. So it’s 46 tracks, not 45.

If you haven’t pre-ordered a copy, I’d recommend getting it now before they’re all gone!

anyone get theirs shipped yet? I’m anxiously waiting.

I forget when they ship but definitely looking forward to this one.

The Trashman said:I forget when they ship but definitely looking forward to this one.

They shipped June 1st.

Left the office real quick to check the mail and it was dope to see the qn5 envelope. I didnt havea chance to listen all the way thru on the way back to work but from what i heard it is awesome. The remastering on tracks def stands out. For those who have not ordered it, order it now! (assuming there are any left).

got mine today up in montana! packaging is dope as hell, unreleased gates verse here i come

just got mine in the mail. all autographed with a special message to me on it. squeee
brb listening to this all day as I work

Edit: “Deathly Thoughts interlude” and “What Part of Forever” cover. delicious.

I dig how the interludes were worked in to flow and transition between tracks. It’s pretty cool hearing some of the songs I haven’t listened to in a while with some upped quality (esp. No Hope). It’s a really awesome ride through the last 5 years of Tonedeff’s music.

Oh.. and Deathly Thoughts, FourPlusOne, Politics (Live In Stockholm), Live A Little, and What Part of Forever are NICE. I can’t fucking wait to see what’s in store with Chico and the Man and beyond. The future is bright.

P.S. The autographs are priceless. Thanks, Tone.

houstonz said:I dig how the interludes were worked in to flow and transition between tracks.

agreed. I feel like it gives the songs a lot more texture, and I always dig when qn5 artists transition so fluidly into the jam

Mine arrived today, wooooooot!

EDIT: Yooooooo I forgot about the Champions Freestyle, this shit is raw.

Just got mine in the mail! Shit looks super fresh, love the tri-fold design and layout. Also the pictures are sweeet, cannot believe it’s an actual Tonedeff release!! Also love the note to the fans in the middle, best believe I will bring this and other CD’s to get signed the fuck out of smile

About to listen to it now, thank you Tone!

Edit: Deathly Thoughts… <3

I listened to the entire Disc 1 and half of Disc 2 last night. This collection is crazy and makes you want to go back and listen to some of the albums where these songs were originally featured (DiS , R&D, the Asterisks). Literally, out of 46 tracks there is only 1 that I’m not phuckin with, that’s crazy, so much good ish.

Not only do you get all these great tracks from so many different projects all in one collection, but you also get to experience new songs and versions of the songs that you’ve never heard before, in the alternate verses & live versions.

I never have to find my Head Nod Supremacy CD in order to hear ‘Bananas’ again, it’s on here!

Grade: 98/100; this tonedeff character is all about making quality music.

Just got mine today and listened straight through.

All I can say for now is wwwwwwoooooowowwwwowow @ What Part of Forever. Gotta go check out the original now…

Glad to come home from a long trip to these sitting in my mailbox! Now to rip, listen and load them on the pad and head back to the airport tomorrow with something to listen to! My lunch is sitting here next to me getting cold, but my appetite to hear this is much stronger.

ps. Tone, you sure know how to make a collectible ‘memorable’ .. Thank you!

Just working a 10 hour day outside and got home to find this waiting in the mail. Great end to the day. I can’t wait to listen to it all the way through.

Looking over it, has Deacon never produced something for you Tone? Cause that needs to happen

After a long work week, it’s nice to see this come in the mail. I like the shoutout to all the fans in the tri-fold. Good lookin’ out Tone; much love right back.

I’m ripping this properly onto the computer now. I can’t wait a full hi-fi listen through this. This shit just made my day.

EDIT: Just a few tracks in and not only do the interludes set the mood, but the tracklist sequence is so perfect and purposeful. It’s like the tracks between each of the interludes leads you on a small journey.

Wow, Reppin’ Lovely is awesome! Stirs up excitement for future releases.

On “Behind The Gates”. I know I shouldn’t be listening to an entire two-disk collection while at work, in the back office, bumping my head and singing along loudly…but I am.

P1000618.jpg

I love this so much! I think I remember Tone mentioned having an album where he just sings planned, and hearing him on stuff like Deathly Thoughts and What Part of Forever just makes me more excited!

A Tonedeff album with nothing but covers would be sick. I cant stop listening to What Part of Forever.

This whole compilation is great too. Hearing all the tracks together with the same quality increases their value for me.

gunnelcr said:Just working a 10 hour day outside and got home to find this waiting in the mail. Great end to the day. I can’t wait to listen to it all the way through.

Looking over it, has Deacon never produced something for you Tone? Cause that needs to happen

Haven’t listened to it in a while…but I’m pretty sure deacon has some production on the hyphen ep. Space? Mixtape Medley?

Thoughts as I listen (Part 1).

I’m really glad these radio interviews and freeverses made it in! Not just because they help set context, but because I remember days when I used to dig through QN5.com for old broadcasts because the freeverses from that session were dope, or something especially witty / poignant was mentioned.

Deathly Thoughts is the perfect intro / extension of IWIWD. I almost feel like the bridge would fit perfectly into the beginning of the song a la Porcelain (right inbetween the hook and the first verse); whether this was intended or not, I think the track interestingly juxtaposes the arrangement styles of my two favorite hip-hop producers to-date. I could hop into it, but won’t, at the risk of being presumptuous.

Consistent with the shift from CATM as a mere collaborative effort to a conceptual one, No Hope is now listed as a Tonedeff & Kno joint.

As weird as it sounds to say it, in a lot of ways I “grew up” (high school onwards) to QN5’s output, and the collection is giving me a chance to go back and hear and appreciate layers I’d never noticed before in songs I used to love. Days Chasing Days is an example of one of those songs. 2011. Still fresh.

FourPlusOne brings Mr. Mecca and Session back in the mix! I wonder when this was originally recorded?

I know that the Tone/Pack cypher track of choice has been updated since this first dropped, but I still request Basix at live shows to this day. Usually after I’ve had a few drinks in me and I feel like being that obnoxious cat talking about “no, but, back in the day, though.” But in all seriousness, I used to download the first performance video of this off of the site just to listen to it, and having this version readily available is much appreciated.

Marching to Politics. Loving the quality of the board mix on this. You can still hear the crowd go “OH!!!?!?!?!” after Tone’s classic “coming out your face.” line, though. And all is right with the world.

Ah, Warden. Recorded a week into a relentless case of the common cold. Still better than the original, you bitches.

Next half soon!

(P.S. the personalized autograph made me giddier than a preteen sitting front and center at a Justin Beiber concert JUST SAYIN’. Thank you Tone!)

Reppin Lovely

LYRICS:
I’m live and direct from the city that built the definitive skyline
of Highrises and bright lights that are liable to diminish your eyesight
And where time flies so quick that even the minute is named after it/
Where change happens so fast, that all of your memories ain’t accurate
Spray cans depict these images in the same fashion as stained glass
And you gotta scrape cash together to pay half of the state tax
Where the main transportation remains fastened to train tracks
Where rich kids try to look broke and the broke aim to be Dame Dash
It’s a place battered and bruised that’s been blackened and blued as days passed
Abused, shattered, entombed and exhumed after them planes crashed
And came back swinging, with a renewed passion and faith gathered
To face facts and to move on, knowing this place matters
A Babylon and Utopia wrapped in one,
Don’t lose hope or you’ll have to run to new slower coasts where the pace staggers
This transplanted inhabitant never brags of a native status
But I’m glad that at least a piece of the Big Apple, I’ve had it.

HOOK
Cause it don’t matter where you’re from - only if you’re reppin lovely
Come on, hey hey hey
It doesn’t matter where you’re at - Only if you’re reppin lovely
Come on, what ya say now
Cause you can say what you want, you can do what you need
But you gotta put it down right now
It doesn’t matter where you’re at - Only if you’re reppin lovely
Come on, hey hey hey

^^ Thanks for the lyrics! That song brings me so much joy every time I hear it.

I’m wishing Reppin Lovely was longer than one verse. Such a good song.

Might be a stupid question but is there a reason why the clean version of Basix was used?

The lyrics to Reppin Lovely are awesome.. can’t wait to actually hear it