close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: Official Cold.Killed.Collected Discussion Thread ::

Came today - apart from the (criminally) missing Philosophy Heals The Soul it could be a perfect Tone mix.

freeda5th said:Might be a stupid question but is there a reason why the clean version of Basix was used?

I was wondering this as well. I know I have this on another QN5 CD I bought and I was going to compare to see if there ever even was a dirty version released.

Okay so it arrived for me today too and I’ve just had my first full play-through.

So, first things first. The Packaging. Even the photos that Tone posted in the other thread don’t do this CD justice of just how sleek it looks. Personally I much prefer these fold out cases to jewel ones and the red two-CD contrasts nicely with the black of the rest of it. The photos of Tone are cool, I especially like the one on the back where he’s peeking out of one of the pieces of tape.

Once the CD’s in, it’s instantly noticeable how well the tracks blend into each other, with the interludes doing a great job of setting the scene and giving insight into Tone’s own character behind the lyrics. On top of that, I was impressed at how significant the re-mastering of all the tracks was and as a result, even though there are songs much older than others - nothing SOUNDS out of place - something that becomes noticeable when compared to previous collections Hyphen and Underscore.

The next thing that surprised me was just how many new/unheard songs there were. Even one’s that I’d heard of but for some reason could never find. I feel like I got a lot more new material than I was expecting and that’s the best kind of surprise. Here’s the full list for me:

07. Deathly Thoughts
14. QN5 All-Stars – “FourPlusOne (ft. DJ JS-1)”
17. Politics (Live In Stockholm, 2008)
07. Quit Your Dayjob – “Bodypoppers (ft. Tonedeff) APOS REMIX”
09. Halftime Radio Show Freeverse 1 (2005)
10. Reppin’ Lovely
11. QN5 All-Stars – “Get Live”
12. Vice Verses, Mr. Mecca & Tonedeff – “Live A Little”
13. Tonedeff & PackFM – “Halftime Radio Show Anniversary Freeverse 2 (2010)”
14. Big Lo – “Bump In The Night (ft. Tonedeff)”
17. Behind The Gates [Unreleased Alt Verse]
19. Rhymefest & Tonedeff – “Halftime Radio Show Anniversary Freeverse 3 (2010)”
20. The Understudies – “Bananas (ft. CunninLynguists, Cashmere The Pro & Tonedeff)
21. Bootstraps Freeverse
22. Breez Evahflowin & Tonedeff – “Halftime Radio Freestyle Cypher (2009)”
23. Tone & Tori (Interlude)
24. What Part of Forever (Cover)

Deathly thoughts sounds fantastic, I’m so glad it was included. I love little tid-bits like this and it transitions nicely into IWIWD. FourPlusOne sounds awesome, nice to hear Mecca and Session back although I’m yet to dissect all the lyrics - I’m thinking that might make an appearance on Deffinitions vol.3?

Politics live sounds incredible. Love the march and Tone’s energy put into that verse. It sounds flawless too both in terms of the beat but also Tone’s replication of the recorded verses. Only complaint is that Kno (I think it’s him?) sounded a bit too loud for my liking.

Boddypoppers I’d heard of, but where was it released before? Same with Bump in the Night. Not sure how I missed them but I’m glad I finally heard them, two tracks I’m really liking.

Reppin’ Lovely was awesome, I’d already read the lyrics but it was a lot faster than I expected it to be and I loved the chorus. I’d be interested to hear when/why it was recorded.

All of the free verses are cool, my favorite being Halftime #1 (2005). The cypher at the end was pretty funny too. I’m glad that these radio recordings were included among all of the songs, it contrasts nicely but not in a juxtaposed way and gives a look into yet another facet of Tonedeff.

The alternate Gates verse is insane, I can’t wait to properly dig into the lyrics of it. It’s quite strange and equally grin-inducing to hear something you’ve known and loved for years re-imagined.

Finally, the What Part of Forever cover is beautiful. The beat that comes in towards the end is really cool too. Oh how us Auralarians cherish fully-sung Tone material, I hope that hinted album reaches us one day in the future.

Overall - A great compilation and a silencer to anyone who asks what Tone’s been doing since Archetype. Don’t get me wrong, I never expected anything but greatness, but the whole compilation was a lot more impressive than I’d thought it would be - and that’s possibly the highest compliment I could give it.

I’m also super excited about the cover/design based on the pictures and explanations here

I’m pretty sure I’ve got a dirty version of “Basix” somewhere..

The clean version is the only version available. The dirty version was never released because the song was originally mastered for the 12” single of “Flying Guillotines” and only radio edits were made the b-sides.

I’ve got a dirty version that’s 4:11 with just the beat playing through the last minute or so - but it doesn’t have any of JS-1’s scratches at all.

Where the hell did I get that? lol

Hmmm. Not sure. That version isn’t mastered. It’s incomplete, cause JS-1 isn’t scratching on it. hahah I’m actually kinda confused as to how you got it.

The internet is wild.

houstonz has so much QN5 stuff he has stuff that even QN5 doesn’t have.

Blame it on the in-in-in-in-in-interneeeet.

Back on topic.. FourPlusOne is awesome. QN5 All-Stars tracks always deliver.. and hearing Warden again takes me back to some good times. The last 5 years were kind of The Shit.

I got the dirty version of basix too, and it is in my “rare” qn5 music folder which means I most likely got it from a download link on this forum/old site. I am thinking it was the thread like 5 years back where it was “post your rare qn5 songs”.
the info of the song says:
cpd_basix (master)
©2004 QN5 Music (ASCAP)

Got mine on Saturday and I’m thoroughly enjoying it so far. A lot of good songs that I haven’t heard before and the whole presentation is dope indeed. I’m just a huge sucker for that kinda stuff. It’s one of the reasons I keep on buying cds.

Loewi said:

kej3210 said:Fuck the mail was locked out in Canada now….. Word is the gov’t is going to force them back to work next week and hopefully that’s true…. I want my Tonedeff CD!

I’m also super excited about the cover/design based on the pictures and explanations here

Hopefully that’s true. I’m still waiting for my copy and I pre-ordered early.

Supposedly will be legislated back to work by Tuesday (thank you majority gov’t) if no agreements are made before then.

I love seeing all the photos pop up on my Facebook as people get their CDs. No other record label gets this kind of treatment.

chris said:I love seeing all the photos pop up on my Facebook as people get their CDs. No other record label gets this kind of treatment.

Can you imagine what’s going to happen when CATM gets delivered? I say we have some competition where we have to photograph ourselves holding the CD in the most incredible/interesting/funny location. Top of a mountain with light beaming through the clouds?

Epic Aesthetic said:

chris said:I love seeing all the photos pop up on my Facebook as people get their CDs. No other record label gets this kind of treatment.

Can you imagine what’s going to happen when CATM gets delivered? I say we have some competition where we have to photograph ourselves holding the CD in the most incredible/interesting/funny location. Top of a mountain with light beaming through the clouds?

I like to imagine that CATM gets delivered by an angel coming down in a single beam of light through the clouds.

Epic Aesthetic said: I say we have some competition where we have to photograph ourselves holding the CD in the most incredible/interesting/funny location. Top of a mountain with light beaming through the clouds?

lol thats actually a dope idea…

Part of the collector’s edition will be getting it delivered by naked chicas

This whole thing makes me smile so much. Thanks again, Tone!

(the building process <3)

COLD.KILLED.COLLECTED. IS OFFICIALLY SOLD OUT! Thank you all for your continued support. If you missed out on these collector’s editions, you’re in luck because I’d like you to listen to the album anyway RIGHT HERE:

http://tonedeff.bandcamp.com/album/cold-killed-collected-2005-2010

^ Thanks Tone that’s a blessing right now. Who knows how long my CD will be caught in the middle of the Canada Post fiasco, so I’m listening through this afternoon.

I mean how does the entire country’s mail go on strike? bullshit

Yeah, all international orders were shipped last week (you try filling out a few hundred customs forms by hand - by yourself - no fun) so, they’re starting to show up this week. Please remember, we have no control over customs in your country, so be patient before you blow up any inboxes.

Let’s please keep this thread to a discussion about the actual project. Any further “where’s my cd”-related posts will be removed.

Enjoy the music, folks.

$10 for those 46 quality tracks. Thats a damn good deal

gunnelcr said:$10 for those 46 quality tracks. Thats a damn good deal

+ A Hi-Res PDF of the booklet artwork!

I’m really glad that it’s been put up on Bandcamp as well because now I can let my friends listen to some of the songs (What part of forever has been in my head all day)

Epic Aesthetic said:I’m really glad that it’s been put up on Bandcamp as well because now I can let my friends listen to some of the songs (What part of forever has been in my head all day)

Yeah same here. When the beat drops it’s insane plus tone’s got the voice of a goddess. I played it for my brother and he really liked it

^^^^ Not at all a complaint towards you guys. It just goes to once again show the fan support you guys have by providing this, and most of your discography for that matter, on bandcamp too (free or paying).

Obviously Canada shutting it’s mail system down isn’t your fault. And that is why I am EXTRA happy to see it on bandcamp right now, and I will likely cop it there too once I get paid again because of the situation (mail could be down until August/September in the worst case scenario).

Thanks again, and it’s a dope release.

Got this earlier today in UK.. been enjoying it when I’ve got the chance. Thanks tone really shows off your talent when you get all those hard to find (for me at least) tracks and dope guest spots in one place

I really hope it works out that you can do a strictly singing solo album Tone. Listening to Dealthy Thoughts and What Part Of Forever makes me really excited for the possibilities.