close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: The Official ‘POLYMER’ Discussion Thread ::

jinx8402 said:Yeah, he definitely said Pre-orders available with the release of the first EP. With that said, one EP a month with the pre-order shipping out in December could be a real possibility. We know from their track record that once the pre-orders come out, that the physical will be released sometime over the next few months. I couldn’t see Tone taking pre-orders and then not releasing the physical a full year later.

Also, I thought he said the entire project was about 80% done, not just the first EP. He mentioned he has most of the songs recorded, and just mixing is left.

Exactly.

Let’s give the dude some credit.. he’s been in the dark for a while, but he’s back.

(Right?)

If 80% of the entire project is done then maybe I can see the whole 3 digital EPs and a physical LP in the span of 4 months (and even that’s a stretch) but if he was talking about just the first EP when he said 80% done forget about it.

Also, nothing against Tone’s singing but I thought he was going to leave that to PAR. The snippet he played (assuming that was a Polymer track) had a whole verse of singing, although he did say there’s rapping on that song. Again nothing against the singing but would have preferred a snippet of the rapping but beggars can’t be choosers.

Well on the last podcast he said there’d be one song of rapping on the PAR album. He also said that if you noticed he likes to end his Tonedeff albums with a sung song. That’s part of who is as an artist, even under the moniker Tonedeff.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is…expect singing on Tonedeff stuff.

88 Till Infinity just wrote an article about the new Polymer project. Check it out!

http://www.88tillinfinity.com/3829/news-tonedeff-announces-project-polymer/

I think we’ll see polymer by the end of the year or January 2013 because ep 1-3 are essentially promotional material for the lp, it wouldnt make sense to slowly promote an album over the span of a year when the promotional material is already 3/4 of the full length project. Who wants to buy something they’ve already heard over n over again over the last year? If tone releases an ep around every month or two it gives people 3 separate reasons at 3 different times to want to preorder the album.

Good to see tonedeff on a hip-hop blog again, welcome to the QN5 boards Dalena

I disagree that EPs 1 through 3 are promotional material for the finished LP. The reason he’s doing it like this is because if it were to be the full LP released all together at the same time in Tone’s words it would take another couple of years without any Tonedeff music. Now granted Tone did say he has more time on his hands now due to less work with the QN5 label’s other artists the fact that he’s releasing Polymer like this despite the concept of what a polymer is means that the completed project is still a ways away, I’d say allot longer than January 2013. And we should all never expect the first release date to stick. So I believe Glutton will be released by Christmas time and the full LP late 2013. I see the fact that he’s putting it out in increments as less pressure on him to complete all four EPs soon. Plus if we’re talking promotional wouldn’t it be more promotional to spread out the 3 EPs and final LP throughout the year instead of within 4 months. Kind of like what Illogic and Blockhead’s doing. Keeps your name in the news longer than just one 4 month span of releases and gives time to promote each EP properly. I don’t think Tone thinks his music will get tired after a year of playing. I think this method of releasing Polymer is more for the fans to get some Tonedeff music soon rather than wait possibly another couple of years for a full length project.

I think Tone might have miss spoke when he said preorders would be up with the first EP’s release, although he did say it at least twice. If preorders do go up at that time, believe me you’ll have a long wait. But the wait will be justified with the fact that he’s releasing parts of the LP, for free I might add.

Dude, seriously. Stop being a pessimist, I can’t see this being a late ‘13 release at all. If it slips into 2013, it will be early 2013 like Jan/Feb. The only thing that will keep it from releasing early is Tone’s battle with vertigo. A 4-5 song EP will not have the legs to keep word of mouth going over the course of 3-4 months. It actually makes MORE sense to release these small EPs closer together if he wants strong word of mouth for the physical release of Polymer.

Numonic said:I disagree that EPs 1 through 3 are promotional material for the finished LP. The reason he’s doing it like this is because if it were to be the full LP released all together at the same time in Tone’s words it would take another couple of years without any Tonedeff music. Now granted Tone did say he has more time on his hands now due to less work with the QN5 label’s other artists the fact that he’s releasing Polymer like this despite the concept of what a polymer is means that the completed project is still a ways away, I’d say allot longer than January 2013. And we should all never expect the first release date to stick. So I believe Glutton will be released by Christmas time and the full LP late 2013. I see the fact that he’s putting it out in increments as less pressure on him to complete all four EPs soon. Plus if we’re talking promotional wouldn’t it be more promotional to spread out the 3 EPs and final LP throughout the year instead of within 4 months. Kind of like what Illogic and Blockhead’s doing. Keeps your name in the news longer than just one 4 month span of releases and gives time to promote each EP properly. I don’t think Tone thinks his music will get tired after a year of playing. I think this method of releasing Polymer is more for the fans to get some Tonedeff music soon rather than wait possibly another couple of years for a full length project.

I think Tone might have miss spoke when he said preorders would be up with the first EP’s release, although he did say it at least twice. If preorders do go up at that time, believe me you’ll have a long wait.

I don’t think he’d put pre orders up a year before the album comes out though.

JTX think about the fact that you can possibly get 75% of the album for free during that year time span. As he’s doing it the same way he did The Projectionist with the pay what you want for the first 3 EPs. Sorry to sound like a pessimist but you guys are failing to see reality, Tonedeff has essentially made a deal with the fans with this release. As opposed to having the fans wait another couple of years for a full length and no Tonedeff until then. This is not about promoting, it’s about the fans. I’m telling you the choices were an EP every 4 months or an LP in about 2 years and Tone chose the former. Sorry if that sounds pessimistic but it’s reality.

Numonic said:JTX think about the fact that you can possibly get 75% of the album for free during that year time span. As he’s doing it the same way he did The Projectionist with the pay what you want for the first 3 EPs. Sorry to sound like a pessimist but you guys are failing to see reality, Tonedeff has essentially made a deal with the fans with this release. As opposed to having the fans wait another couple of years for a full length and no Tonedeff until then. This is not about promoting, it’s about the fans. I’m telling you the choices were an EP every 4 months or an LP in about 2 years and Tone chose the former. Sorry if that sounds pessimistic but it’s reality.

sos2.gif

The Trashman said:Good to see tonedeff on a hip-hop blog again, welcome to the QN5 boards Dalena

Hey, thanks ^_^

Numonic, you’re being an ass right now.

You’re a blue schooler, which is super cool.. but you’re being an ass.

I don’t recall Tone ever saying anything about 2 more years for anything to come out (or an EP every 4 months). He just said the full Polymer album would take longer than he wanted so he’s breaking it into 4 releases. I totally agree with the idea that it’s going to be a relatively short time frame for all of the releases to drop. It’s in Tone’s/QN5’s best interest to get the full album out ASAP before people overplay the released material or move on to other things. He said he has most of the songs recorded for all the EPs, mainly mixing is whats left. The fact that he said pre-orders would be ready with Glutton reinforces my confidence in a timely release (hopefully not extending past Q1 2013).

I absolutely cannot wait for this release. When Tone said it would be 4 different EPs, each with a different Deff style, my brain nearly melted. Wonder if the rest are going to be named after the other Deadly Sins.

Sorry I don’t mean to sound like an ass and maybe I’m reading too much in to this but it’s what I got from watching the livestream. Hear me out one though.

Well correction, Tone said 15 more years not 2 more years but I was bringing his exaggeration to estimated real terms, I think my estimated 2 years is more close to accurate than your 4 months (January, 2013 is 4 months from now). The part of the livestream I’m talking about is where he said “I don’t think it’s a dick move…” He was replying to someone’s comment and he(Tone) said that “or I could make another album that you could wait another 15 years for… or I can give you this in installments”. I paid attention to that remark, I think it was telling. I don’t think Tone would make a remark like that if all he was talking about was 4 months for the full LP to be released (full album being released in January, 2013 is 4 months from now). All the talk about how it takes him a long time to write, the 15 more years for a Tonedeff album exaggeration remark and the fact that he’s giving away 75% of the album for free has me believing the LP is a long ways away from being completed, a lot longer than 4 months from now.

Nitroxide you said “He just said the full Polymer album would take longer than he wanted so he’s breaking it into 4 releases.”

So you agree with me that the reason for the EPs is in part to get some Tonedeff music out sooner than later. But if you believe that the full Polymer album will be released by January, you’re basically saying that Tone thinks a 4 month wait from now will be too long for the fans to go without some new Tonedeff music. Fans who’ve been waiting 7 years for Tone all of a sudden 4 more months will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back? That’s ridiculous.

Also all that talk about how other artists EPs suck and how his(Tonedeff’s) won’t is telling me that Tone expects his fans to be able to enjoy his EPs for longer than other artists EPs. So that whole “an EP won’t be able to keep the fans interested over a 4 month time span” goes out the window.

I could be wrong and Tone could have all the EPs and LP released by January but then why would Tone say 15 years to describe 4 months and why would Tonedeff see 4 months as such a long wait that warrants him to release the album in parts before the LP drops? I could be wrong and the EPs could be 100% for the sake of the Polymer concept, but that 15 years comment and the talk of how long it takes him to write has me thinking the Polymer concept is more so the fans get some Tonedeff music sooner than later.

Most importantly these EPs are supposed to be and are in fact GOOD NEWS when you think about the alternative which is waiting a year or two to hear a Tonedeff album LP.

But instead of all this speculating, let’s just wait to see what Tone says when he gives us the Glutton EP information. I hope I’m wrong not only for the sake of getting more Tonedeff music sooner but it seems like if I’m right allot of Tonedeff fans will be upset with the set up.

I think it’d be odd for pre-orders to go up and the final product to be more than 6 months away. I think when Tone said he had 80% done he was referring to all 4 EPs/the whole LP. I mean really, he’s had a LONG time to get stuff done now (even minus the last few months of health issues) and I doubt that aside from The Projectionist he’s only completed 80% of a single EP in the last 2+ years - and then would announce 3 more EPs that are 0% complete.

I think, with room for some minor setbacks or behind-the-scenes simply taking longer than expected, it’ll take maybe 6-7 months to get everything out once Glutton drops in late September - that’s roughly 2 months between releases. So like Nitroxide said, Q1 2013 for the Polymer LP release/physical pre-orders to ship. Just pray to whatever it is you pray to that his health makes a turn for the better, ya know.

Anywho, I’m reeeeeeally looking forward to pre-orders and the additional info that’s soon to come.

houstonz said:and I doubt that aside from The Projectionist he’s only completed 80% of a single EP in the last 2+ years - and then would announce 3 more EPs that are 0% complete.

co-signed.

Either way—anticipation!! Smile

u got an artist that comes up with a concept that is on the “walter white” level, so i dont give a shit about the release dates, just as long as he can do it before some “pop” artists jacks the idea.

Ok so are the 4 EP’s seperate from the LP? or is the LP being divided into 4 EP’s and then later on being released as an LP? or what?

I didnt watch the livestream and my PC couldn’t open the file when i downloaded it so yeah i’m kinda clueless here.

TexasUnderground1 said:Ok so are the 4 EP’s seperate from the LP? or is the LP being divided into 4 EP’s and then later on being released as an LP? or what?

I didnt watch the livestream and my PC couldn’t open the file when i downloaded it so yeah i’m kinda clueless here.

divided in to 4 EPs and then later on being released as an LP

I thought he said, its 3 free EPs and in order to get the 4th EP you need to get the full Polymer album which comes with the original 3 EPs and the 4th EP.

sorry you’re right 3EPs then the 4th is only available with the complete LP which includes all 4 EPs.

We get new Tonedeff music in a little over a month. That’s all I really care about right now.

sllbf6.png

[WATCH THE ARCHIVED STREAM HERE]

Hmmmm. I think I’m going to refer to Polymer as a “collection” rather than an “album” from here on in.

TO BE CLEAR
• This is NOT a traditional album (ie. Archetype)
• The goal is to release each EP in 2-3 month intervals.
• EP’s 1-3 will be digital-only releases.
• The final EP comes ONLY with the final collector’s edition.
• There is no set schedule for the final Polymer “collection” release.
• The Pre-Orders for the final “Polymer” collection will go up as soon as EP #1 is officially announced.
• EP #1 (Glutton) will be released at the end of September.

REASONS FOR THIS FORMAT:
• It’s different.
• It’s fun & flexible for me.
• I want to create a steady flow of releases (for once).
• People have ZERO attention spans.
• It gives you more new music more often.
• The different themes give me an outlet to go HAM on some rap shit.
• I’m in the middle of working on Hyperrealism as well.
• The lead-time guarantees you a pre-ordered copy of the final collection.

I hope that clarifies a few things. Yes, I am trying something new here - experimenting, if you will. But I think it’s a fun, straightforward idea that has a ton of upside to it. I like trying new things.

binarystar89 said:We get new Tonedeff music in a little over a month. That’s all I really care about right now.

That’s totally the point here!

Hollerate,
Tone

Tonedeff said:Hmmmm. Maybe I should refer to Polymer as a “collection” rather than an “album”. Yes, I am trying something new here - experimenting, if you will. But I think it’s a fun, straightforward idea that has a ton of upside to it. I like trying new things.

TO BE CLEAR
• This is NOT a traditional album (ie. Archetype)
• The goal is to release each EP in 2-3 month intervals.
• EP’s 1-3 will be digital-only releases.
• The final EP comes ONLY with the final collector’s edition.
• There is no set schedule for the final Polymer “collection” release.
• The Pre-Orders for the final “Polymer” collection will go up as soon as EP #1 is officially announced.
• EP #1 (Glutton) will be released at the end of September.

REASONS FOR THIS FORMAT:
• It’s different.
• It’s fun & flexible for me.
• I want to create a steady flow of releases (for once).
• People have ZERO attention spans.
• It gives you more new music more often.
• I’m in the middle of working on Hyperrealism as well.
• It guarantees you a pre-ordered copy of the final collection.

I hope that clarifies a few things.

Hollerate,
Tone

Thanks for the clarification. Can’t wait to submit that pre-order. Couple questions if you don’t mind:

Will the final collection be on 1 disc or 4? I know there will be a final cover image but I thought it would be cool to have the 4 seperate eps in the box collection with their own artwork, although it may not make much sense financially to do that. Thinking maybe as more of like a limited deluxe edition or something.

Do you have any production from kno for any of the eps?

Thanks for clarifying things Tone !

If all the artworks are as good as the first, I reaaaally hope we’ll have some physical trace of it (stickers/posters/booklet). But Tone said he had some cool ideas for the collector’s edition so I’m not too worried.

a poster of each cover would be insannnnnnnne

or a single poster with all of the covers displayed would be equally insane

Well there you have it. Tone laid it out as I expected it would be. But the point is that it’s good news when you think about the alternative.

JTX The final collection will be on one disc, it wouldn’t make sense to call it Polymer if it were on 4 different discs.

I wonder if the track sequence on the final collection will be mixed or if the final CD will follow the EP release format like first 5 tracks is the Glutton EP then the next five tracks is the 2nd EP etc. I think to follow the Polymer concept more closely the tracks from each EP should be mixed within the final LP and not released in EP release format. First 5 tracks on the final LP should be a mix from all the LPs or what ever track sequence sounds best.

I think the booklet will consist of the cover of all for EPs or the cover of the final collection will have some amalgam image including all four EP covers.

But we’re getting way ahead of ourselves, right now the focus is Glutton.

Numonic said:Well there you have it. Tone laid it out as I expected it would be. But the point is that it’s good news when you think about the alternative.

JTX The final collection will be on one disc, it wouldn’t make sense to call it Polymer if it were on 4 different discs.

I wonder if the track sequence on the final collection will be mixed or if the final CD will follow the EP release format like first 5 tracks is the Glutton EP then the next five tracks is the 2nd EP etc. I think to follow the Polymer concept more closely the tracks from each EP should be mixed within the final LP and not released in EP release format. First 5 tracks on the final LP should be a mix from all the LPs or what ever track sequence sounds best.

I think the booklet will consist of the cover of all for EPs or the cover of the final collection will have some amalgam image including all four EP covers.

But we’re getting way ahead of ourselves, right now the focus is Glutton.

True, yea I didn’t think of that. Was just hoping that somehow we’ll have some physical form of every cover in the collection. Damn I can’t wait for next month.