close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: The Official ‘POLYMER’ Discussion Thread ::

So, for the first few weeks of listening to Polymer I definitely enjoyed the entire album.. but of course not every song to the same degree. “Five Sisters” and “Moment” in particular have reeeeally grown on me.

From my perspective, “Five Sisters” is one of Tone’s best songs from his entire catalog. The production switch-ups in the verses for Sister #2 and 3 are soooooo dope. The flow throughout each verse is so damn fluid and perfect too. To top it all off, the outro is beautiful and haunting. <33333

Cracker want a Poly.

houstonz said:So, for the first few weeks of listening to Polymer I definitely enjoyed the entire album.. but of course not every song to the same degree. “Five Sisters” and “Moment” in particular have reeeeally grown on me.

From my perspective, “Five Sisters” is one of Tone’s best songs from his entire catalog. The production switch-ups in the verses for Sister #2 and 3 are soooooo dope. The flow throughout each verse is so damn fluid and perfect too. To top it all off, the outro is beautiful and haunting. <33333

Totally agreed. It contains all the hallmarks of Tone’s various skill-set, but is just incredibly accessible in a way most of his songs aren’t.

^ Really well said.

A tap of the wand, and I’m graphic - another tap, I’m the fastest /
You tap again, and I’m chanting on a piano ballad

Cause, sonny, I’ve mastered all of it: /
from the hottest bars to spit, to the introduction shouts that’s up at the this start of this

Myke C-Town did a mini review on his channel. Said only good things. I wouldn’t doubt if this made his end of the year list.

Only just noticed the Sunrise production video that was posted on twitter.. this was super insightful and fun, would love to see more content like this.

But.. why was this not advertised anywhere other than twitter? I find it odd as a huge Tonedeff fan that I could have easily missed this :/

I saw the periscope video, not live but shortly after. I was wondering why no one was talking about it on here. He said he’ll do more videos like it. It’s an amazing video, very insightful and fun as you said.

^ I had absolutely zero clue that this happened.

Link for those interested - https://t.co/SzRblXioRo

Absolutely nuts behind the scenes look though. This is everything a Tonedeff fan would want in a documentary. Examples of his sources of inspiration, breakdowns of individual parts, the story behind the song itself, and that trademark Tonedeff sense of humor. You can tell just how in love with the music this guy is.

Peep it if you haven’t yet Smile

Edit / 27:33 - He’s gonna be doing more song breakdowns!

yeah this is awesome and i wish my internet connection wasn’t so slow that it froze every 4 seconds.

MOAR of this! I lol’d at the beginning improv joke stuff. Tone funny.

Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of Tonedeff. I think I bought 2 Polymorphs (I don’t know, I forget, it seems like 2 years ago) and I don’t even own a record player (YET!!!).

Love the guy’s devotion to his craft and his work ethic and the fact that he won’t stop until something is perfect in his head.

I want to see him succeed SO BADLY! And that is why this record is so frustrating to me (at times).

The idea of 4 EPs melding into one album was a great idea, but the 4 different styles is what kind of lost me. I was holding out hope I would like the “Glutton” tracks as much as SOS and Substantial’s “Uncontrollable” or the other songs Tone had done with Chew-Fu, buuuuut it didn’t happen. Well… I liked 3 of the songs! But those other 2 both ended up on Polymer *sadface*

Not gonna do a full track-by-track, but I’ll put the songs into four categories

Really Really Do Not Like:
Hunter - Hate this beat. I first got into hip hop via west coast music, so maybe that
first beat resonates with me more. But this beat sounds like absolute drudgery. And with more lyrics about not blowing up, this will get skipped about 98.6% of the time whereas I will listen to V1 100% of the time. That’s how much I dislike this beat compared to Static’s.

Glutton
I can stand half of this, once the drop comes in—skip. I hate dubstep. Or whatever that sound is. Funny that Glutton’s cover art has a knife and fork in the pic, because this song sounds like choXlJQ.gif.

Filthy XXX
Can’t listen to this version. Like… hate it. V3 is awesome (I can’t show that to my friends
on social media…but at least I watched it like 9 times and loved it).

Not my Fave, but Ok!
Narcissus
Cinder (why is this it’s own track, but Broken Arrow isn’t?)
And They Watched Him
Things You Don’t See Coming (awesome intro)

Awesome! Tonedeff I’ll Show My Friends
Use Me
Moment
Demon
Competitive Nature (wish Broken Arrow was separate…but whatevs)

Tone On Another Level, Didn’t Know He *HAD* Another Level, but, At This Point I Probably Should Have
Sunrise
WHOOOAAA! Epic! That ending!? *hands up/I’m-not-worthy emoji*

Phantom
...one of my fave Tonedeff songs ever. So good. Never heard Tone really do much like this before, either. The “Holograms rmx” was a taste, but the fact that he was able to do a completely original track with the same “wall of sound” feeling of proportion to it blew
my mind, which, at this point, it shouldn’t, but it still did. Bravo. Unreal. #chills

Five Sisters
Another very, very good track. LOVE this hook!!! This needs to be a single/video and it
needed to be YESTERDAY.

More Like You
Lyrically and musically daunting and courageous. Love it. Fjer is great.

Control
Whoa.

So… those are my thoughts right now. This album is so polarizing for me that it is frustrating. The musical skill, maturity, and talent (in my mind) between making a song like “Phantom” and making a song like “Filthy XXX” is SO HUGE, that I can’t get my head around how they both are on the same album. I won’t play this all the way through in my car. I won’t play the whole thing for friends. I would love to have shared the Filthy V3 video on Facebook, but my relatives would have been ashamed and my coworkers appalled.

You can use the lines about the Hunter beat “fitting the theme” or Glutton or Filthy on there for the sake of the concept, but I am not going listen to songs I don’t like… The idea that it’s ok to have a mediocre song for the sake of a concept doesn’t sit well with me. APOS didn’t have a single skippable track. The Wall had all sorts of themes and styles and I like every single track on it—both discs.

I want Tone to blow up so friggin badly. So, all this criticism aside, I look forward to the next music video and whatever the future holds. I’ll support in any way I can!

Hunter… mediocre?!....Blasphemy!!...

but seriously… I think it’s safe to say you’re in the minority on that one. I get not liking a song, but to say “the idea that it’s ok to have a mediocre song for the sake of concept” like it’s obviously inferior to the rest of the album is quite a stretch if you ask me. I understand it’s your opinion, but to label it as “mediocre” and essentially calling it a filler track that fits with the album just for the sake of a concept makes my head hurt. I had family members that don’t even really like rapping that were completely blown away by that track. To each his own I suppose.

That word bugged me too.

“Mediocre” to me is a word that describes flawed technique and execution. Rebecca Black’s “Friday” is mediocre. William Hung is mediocre.

Whether or not something suits your tastes is another matter entirely. And totally OK!

“mediocre” is average. Friday and Bill Hung are far below average.

I think Tone is capable of doing things far superior to that track, as he has proven multiple times over, and multiple times just on Polymer.

I’d say that one of Polmer’s greatest accomplishments is how effectively it blends different types/styles of electronic music with hip-hop.. which is kind of ironic that this blend is what seems to be the biggest criticism I’ve seen of it on the internet.

Take ‘Glutton’ for example. I think the timing of this song was unfortunate, released at a point where culturally Dubstep had reached saturation point - watered down and filtered through pop music and pop culture until people were completely sick of it’s sound (this is also the point in which most people first heard of it). Dubstep was originally an exciting niche form of electronic music that was liked for it’s aggressive synths and slower, darker pace - seems like a great fit for Tone if you ask me.

Personally I loved the song when I first heard it and it’s only lost some of it’s impact to me now due to so many listens and other new songs from the album. The drop in it is far from corny to me, incredibly piercing and heavy - a trademark of the excellent Numbernin6 (one of Dubstep’s less band-wagony producers).

But it’s Tone’s vocals that make this song incredible, with an absolutely impeccable flow. The rhythm and tempo of the beat causes Tone to use all sorts of different rhyme patterns and intonations that keep it fresh to me. The first verse is my favourite for this, ending with the venomous..

“I wanna it taste all, and masticate the mass decay
No trash or waste involved
A hasty mauling, place the staw in, savor the sauce
Till the flavor dissolves and I wanna scrape the walls”

Has me URGHing at the end, every time.

Lyrically it uses vivid imagery to describe a gutturally primal flaw in our human nature. It doesn’t have to be applied to just women or sex.. it’s about our needy greed for more in life. It says so much with so little. It’s dirty and desperate… fittingly accompanied by stomach churning synths.

The production style and theme are linked so well, resulting in a genre cross-over that feels intelligent (many of these types of collaborations are generic and don’t link these two ideas). It all fits together and makes sense. It’s a great song.

Just maybe released a few years too late to have an impact :/

In regards to Filthy..

I think it’s appeal as a song is almost destroyed by it’s chorus alone. I can’t help but wonder how popular it would have been if it had exchanged it’s explicitness for suggestiveness. Carried with the same energy, I think a different chorus without “cum in your ass” level filth could have still worked really well. Every other aspect of the song is raw and cool - the verses are even way tamer than those in ‘Pervert’, so I think this is the sticking point.

It’s another one of those polarising musical decisions that Tone’s made and yet is representative to me of the entire album as a whole. It’s the decision to go ALL IN rather than by any half-measures. This applies to almost every aspect of the album from the production, lyrics, delivery, honesty and themes. It goes further than other people are prepared/capable of going.

With this sort of song most people would take it far, but they wouldn’t go all the way. Tone went all the way. That’s what makes this track excel as a piece of art, but falter as a listenable piece of music.

I still like it though, I just listen to it behind closed doors.

Hunter (V1) was such a dirty track that I understand some of the hesitance about daring to V2 it. But it fits perfectly into Polymer as a whole. Seriously, put V1 of Hunter into a playlist with the rest of Polymer and it don’t fit with the overall album aesthetic. Those new vocals in the background on the track are such a nice touch. And it weaves in much better between those two tracks.

I think all three of the V2s were smart moves. Fucking with some of the strongest joints on the earlier EPs in order to make the project better as a whole. I think I understand the hesitance on the V2s because ‘Tone messed with something I dug’, but V1 still exists out there and the V2s really work better for me in the Polymer whole, I think.

I genuinely don’t understand the love for V1 Hunter… That beat irked me from the first listen. It sounds old, cheesy and out of character for Tone. I feel like the V2 could have benifited more from a re-recorded verse, but the beat is just grimey. Needs to be on loud for maximum effect.

Put me down as a +1 for the V2s camp.

What I love about Hunter V2’s beat is how well it fits the mood of the lyrics. Dark, minimalist, and above all laced with a sardonic, “would you look at this bullshit?” attitude—(Tone’s bop-bop, ba-dop bop bops in particular). It is very much the sound of someone who feels like he’s walked into a circus and can’t believe the things that he’s seeing.

Filthy V1 is something I could never bump in front of friends. It fit too squarely in the “I can justify this conceptually, but the aesthetic enjoyment is not enough to override any potential social awkwardness.” V2 I’ve definitely bumped in front of friends, though. It’s smoother, the samples make the undertones of self loathing very clear, and the extra percussion is just sexy as fuck.

Sunrise V2, I dunno what to say about it. The new beat just knocks so hard, and the new vocal approach (both verses and the choir at the end) are way better executed than what we got on the original, IMO.

Epic Aesthetic said:I genuinely don’t understand the love for V1 Hunter… That beat irked me from the first listen. It sounds old, cheesy and out of character for Tone.

It’s an easily digestible song for someone who’s unfamiliar with Tone or hasn’t heard him in a while. The west coast 2001 Dre beat just works for some people.

My guess is that polyblog 4 is waiting on the physicals.. But I’d love to get a bit of a breakdown on Phantom as an ep at some stage.

Epic Aesthetic said:I genuinely don’t understand the love for V1 Hunter… That beat irked me from the first listen. It sounds old, cheesy and out of character for Tone. I feel like the V2 could have benifited more from a re-recorded verse, but the beat is just grimey. Needs to be on loud for maximum effect.

I’m with you on that. I strongly prefer V2 to V1. It still didn’t feel perfect, but it was certainly an improvement, especially where it has some of the more yo-that’s-fucking-tight sort of verses on it. The grimier beat fit it beautifully.

I’ve gotta disagree entirely on the Hunter beat. The original version is SO fucking amazing and awesome. I actually tried it in place of V2 just to see how it would change it, and it still fits the album perfectly which is quite nice.

I don’t get why everyone has to categorize sounds into certain eras though and ‘date’ them. Is it good or isn’t it? Yes, Hunter is fucking phenomenal, what more matters? V2 is cool as well, but I find it very strange that people seem to prefer it over the original, but people have different tastes, that’s cool.

Control though is in a whole other world. I can’t stop listening to and/or thinking about that song. The whole thing works on so many levels. I never really stopped to think about it, but to me this song seriously contends with No Hope as my favorite song that Tonedeff has been on (which also happens to be my favorite song ever), and that’s pretty crazy because I wasn’t sure anything would ever be able to get to that level again for me, at least not before Chico and the Man, but god damn Control is just ridiculous, I don’t know what else to say about it.

Still giving this album some heavy rotation though. Like we’ve all come to grow and love, this is one of those albums you really need to sink your teeth into. I feel like Tonedeff’s stuff is Shakespearean in quality, where you’re going to be able to discuss and get into it for eons after the fact. This guy can’t be human.

So I’ve been going back to the song Phantom a lot. I still find new things about it each time I listen to it. I remember the first time I heard it back in July I almost started to tear up. Truly a beautiful song.

I don’t know if this has already been discussed, but have any of you noticed that the hook on “Competitive Nature” is directly quoting “All You Need Is Love” by The Beatles?

I had no idea until I saw someone point it out on Youtube, but I think it’s pretty cool, especially considering that these lines are followed by “I can’t make you love me - no!” which is most likely a reference to the title of the Beatles song.

Friis said:I don’t know if this has already been discussed, but have any of you noticed that the hook on “Competitive Nature” is directly quoting “All You Need Is Love” by The Beatles?

I had no idea until I saw someone point it out on Youtube, but I think it’s pretty cool, especially considering that these lines are followed by “I can’t make you love me - no!” which is most likely a reference to the title of the Beatles song.

I did notice that when I first heard it but figured it was just a coincidence. But then again when is anything Tone ever writes on accident, I’d love to know if there was purpose to it!

Not a coincidence. Lennon’s one of my favorite writers and I love that song. Smile

Dope! I thought it made too much sense to be a coincidence. Also, the lines “nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game” and “nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time” tie beatifully into the themes on Competitive Nature.

It’s a brilliant reference that subtly adds a lot of extra context to the song.

I can not WAIT to get the final physical product for this album. Since this album came out in July of last year I’ve probably listened to it at the very least once a month. Its absolutely brilliant.

I’ve been seeing other incredible MCs take the idea of morphing different EPs into an album.. but not like this. This album is a monster and its a DAMN shame that it didn’t get more shine than it did.

Tone I don’t know how you can possibly top this. However, you made an album where at this point its really only possible for YOU to do so. That’s quite the achievement.

I can’t WAIT to see what you do to follow this up. With Quintic on the rise the future is definitely bright.

mattthegod said:So I’ve been going back to the song Phantom a lot. I still find new things about it each time I listen to it. I remember the first time I heard it back in July I almost started to tear up. Truly a beautiful song.

Yeah. This song ain’t tiring out at all. I hit playlist roulette jackpot today with 10 straight songs without skipping one and Phantom was the last track. Got me thinking about if any of the last tracks will have remixes. I can’t imagine what anyone could do with Phantom, but would be intrigued to see someone tackle this beast.