close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: ‘The Projectionist’ Discussion Thread ::

Amazing music Tone! It’s been on repeat all day..

agreed. this shit is dope. The “beat jumping lyricism” on spiral is fuckin awesome. Def got some dope music to hold me over for a bit, even if its only 5 tracks. Give us more son.

I’m trying to listen to my “QN5” playlist, but I can’t move on from this album…
Also, the more I listen to Projectionist, the more it makes me want to cry from its shear beauty, that’s the highest compliment I can give to any album. Perhaps because it’s so personal, relatable, and emotional… either way, it’s reached me on another level.

> < It’s gonna be difficult for me to contain my emotion when Hyperrealism comes out, and then hearing the “dirtiest track ever made” on Polymer…

By the way, do we know which song will have a music video?

I don’t mean to sound greedy but I thought Hyperrealism was going to be an LP not an EP as is said on the blog description for The Projectionist.

^ Probably just a typo.

Numonic said:I don’t mean to sound greedy but I thought Hyperrealism was going to be an LP not an EP as is said on the blog description for The Projectionist.

From the bandcamp page: Stay tuned for the forthcoming full-length album, ‘Hyperrealism’.

I thought maybe that trip to the ER might have changed Anthony’s mind. Okay I don’t mean to turn this in to a Hyperrealism thread so I digress.

Digesting

Never Enough = intense

Thanks a lot for this tone (or peter I guess). This ep is so beautiful. I’ve lost two uncles in the past two days and your ep is all I can listen to at the moment. I feel bad downloading it for free so I’ll be sure to pay for it once pay day rolls around. Again, I can’t thank you enough for sharing your music with us and I can’t wait for your future projects.

I can only recognize two samples so far, but the lyrics on those songs appear to point towards plot elements from their originating movies.

The references tend to be laced throughout the songs, but some of the more obvious ones include (avoiding sample snitching):

2. Never Enough

All the dreams, all the time in was never enough
All the schemes all the lies, oh.

3. Spiral

Don’t pick me up.
Just let me drown.

And, a hint from our “prologue”

As he tries to pretend that he’s watching his life.

I’m not much of a moviegoer, so, perhaps this is not much of a revelation? Probably also to be expected; I’m sure Tone wanted to make sure he was respecting his source material.

But I wonder if there are some deeper conceptual layers to be explored here.

deStructuralized said:And, a hint from our “prologue”

As he tries to pretend that he’s watching his life.

I’m not much of a moviegoer, so, perhaps this is not much of a revelation? Probably also to be expected; I’m sure Tone wanted to make sure he was respecting his source material.

But I wonder if there are some deeper conceptual layers to be explored here.

I hope I haven’t got this wrong.. but my understanding of the EP was that, besides the overarching theme of a man going through a breakdown, it’s told through a ‘projectionist’ seeing his own life through movies. So having the movie soundtracks as the backing, he’s living through the emotions of the cinema.

Personally, I can’t really even describe how poignant this EP has been in describing the last year of my life. I’ve always felt a close connection to Tone’s music because of shared perceptions and values. But this EP’s contents AND timing is ridiculously bizarre to me. Without going into too much detail, pretty much my entire life fell apart about 5 months ago. I had somewhat of a breakdown and ultimately had to create an entire new life for myself.

So the process of ‘the projectionist’ to ‘never enough’ to ‘spiral’ to ‘climb’ to ‘stones’ feels like it was written for me. And I’m sure it’s no coincidence that Tone has crafted such a personal album that can be adapted and interpreted to other listeners.

Musically.. it’s just absolutely fantastic. I love dramatic movie soundtracks, I listen to them like a genre, so to hear these drenched in emotional harmonies really gives me goosebumps. Tone matches the mood perfectly on every song and makes it almost impossible to pick a favourite. However I would just like to make a special mention to Spiral for it’s ingenious vocal pattern. I listened to this EP on repeat with a friend of mine that night and could not get it out of my head. I actually learnt the lyrics and sang it while she played the piano part. This was on the same day it was released haha

I think I’ll come back with some more specific points later. But for now, Bravo Tone, take a bow.

deStructuralized said:I can only recognize two samples so far, but the lyrics on those songs appear to point towards plot elements from their originating movies.

Wow. I hadn’t considered this at all. But yeah I just got all 5 soundtracks. That’s incredible!

Though, I don’t see how Climb ties in with its movie soundtrack, unless I got the wrong movie…

I just downloaded this and Im gonna give some plays ina minute…..::::excited::::

Has there ever been a song like Spiral?

My mind is still trying to wrap it’s head(?) around it…

the “ha"s on the title track are fucking awesome.

After about 20 listens now, I want to say this is seriously fucking fantastic, beautiful, poignant, and whatever other positive adjectives exist in the English language. Like Epic Aesthetic said, musically it’s just astounding and I feel a connection to the lyrics. I keep trying to write something some sort of analysis or response to this EP but everything I try to say about it just seems like a disservice to it. So I guess all I can really say is thank you for this EP, Tonedeff.

Over the top fan reaction over.

WOW…CAN I HAZ MOR3? tone is really the professor X of QN5 ...damn .. Thank you for this sir.

I’m really fucking loving this project right now. “Never Enough” and “Spiral” are pretty much where I’m at right now, and “Climb” is that optimistic, hopeful boost I need after that shit.

I’ll admit I haven’t really been able to get into “Stones” - musically. I dig the lyrics and message, but I just don’t like the music. Whatever it’s from has just left an impression on me that makes me not want to hear it.

houstonz said:I’m really fucking loving this project right now. “Never Enough” and “Spiral” are pretty much where I’m at right now, and “Climb” is that optimistic, hopeful boost I need after that shit.

I’ll admit I haven’t really been able to get into “Stones” - musically. I dig the lyrics and message, but I just don’t like the music. Whatever it’s from has just left an impression on me that makes me not want to hear it.

At first it sounded too “churchy” for me…it’s grown on me more though on my last couple of listens.

^ My girl said the same thing about it sounding “churchy” I didn’t like the music to that when I first heard it (i was so fucking high I didn’t understand most of the lyrics of the EP and my gf wouldnt shut the fuck up) but after I got a good first listen and the mind fuckery of epic porportions that are the songs prior to… having a slow soothing and reflective ending is needed imo

Climb is getting me thru life right now haha. When that bass/clap pattern kicks in…fuck man such an awesome transition. And the intro, I wanna make a fuckin scene in a movie just based around this shit (sample issue i kno).

Sidenote: Sent this to a friend who usually digs Tone’s stuff (prefaced that this is Peter Anthony Red). Response: Yo, is tone trying to be the fastest singer now too? (discussing Spiral). Kid almost got fucking missile kicked.

fastest singer lol

The Trashman said:fastest singer lol

lmao

^ Lmao thats classic

Thank you all for your support of this project. Admittedly, I was hella nervous to put it out and all… but now I wish I’d done it sooner. Smile

It’s been over a month now since it dropped, and I’m interested in what your thoughts are now that you’ve had more time to let it settle in.

Hollerate
Tone

The Projectionist is still incredible. The emotion and lyrics of each track are just so strong, it’s impossible to not get engulfed in the intensity of it all. It’s sad, relate able, and even somewhat hopeful. All in all, this EP is the shit. Can’t wait to hear more from PAR

Yup, still listen to to it on a regular basis. Such a great EP, powerful and emotional art.

jinx8402 said:Yup, still listen to to it on a regular basis. Such a great EP, powerful and emotional art.

This.

jinx8402 said:Yup, still listen to to it on a regular basis. Such a great EP, powerful and emotional art.

Word. Still gets played at lest once a day. My only gripe is I just cant get into stones no matter how many times I play it.

But otherwise…
more_please.jpg

I still love it and listen to it regularly. I really can’t wait to hear Hyperrealism. As much as I’ve always loved Tonedeff singing, I think this Peter Anthony Red stuff takes it to a whole other level.