close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: ‘The Projectionist’ Discussion Thread ::

Still listen to it at least once a day.At first Climb was my favorite one..but now i’m feelin Spiral and Never Enough more.

Only track i’m still not too big on is the first one though.

The Projectionist EP made me a bigger fan of your singing than I ever was with your other projects. So that’s good.

Absolutely love it, I wish I could have bought a hard copy…..oh well anyway I played that shit for like 2 weeks I became obsessed, great concept with great vocals and once again letting us all know you don’t play the genre game, and the wordplay on spiral….....man so skillful and meaningful at the same time. Keep it up Peter Anthony Red, I am eagerly awaiting the next venting session.

I’ve listened to the Projectionist a handful of times each week, since it was released on bandcamp. For me, it has been my favorite music released this year. It’s just relatable on so many different levels. I love at about 3:05 of “Climb” when the clap starts. Very inspiring!

I can’t wait to hear more from PAR!

Classic said:

jinx8402 said:Yup, still listen to to it on a regular basis. Such a great EP, powerful and emotional art.

Word. Still gets played at lest once a day. My only gripe is I just cant get into stones no matter how many times I play it.

But otherwise…
more_please.jpg

It took me a while to get into stones. It’s still my least favorite song on the ep though. Judging from the quality of the ep and water, this album is going to be mindblowing. Really can’t wait for it. Imagine if we got hyperrealism, polymer and catm all in 2013. Would be the best year ever.

What’s with the dislike for Stones?

CSolipsism said:What’s with the dislike for Stones?

I like the writing, it just doesn’t hit for me musically. Too slow for me maybe?

I first heard the instrumental for “Stones” on a wine commercial way back in 86-87. I remember, I was in my parent’s bedroom during a hot summer - cause they had the only room with an air conditioner in it. The radio was on, and nothing else - tuned to some all oldies station - and apparently the patrons of the station were wine drinkers - hence the commercial. I’d remember that melody for the next few decades.

One day, while digging through the crates, I stumbled onto the actual song. The SECOND I heard the first 3 notes.. I knew it was it. I was over the moon about it. I FINALLY FOUND THAT SONG that’d been playing in my head but no idea where it came from. But more importantly… I’d heard it once in my life… and it spoke to me.

Turns out it was an analog synth-instrumental from 1979, by a composer who shall not be named, but that has made some of the world’s greatest instrumental anthems. I love the cyclical nature of it. The way it just builds and builds. Layers upon layers. Totally up my alley.

Finding the right words to work much in the same way, spoke to “Spiral” and the cyclical nature of life/death. Loop, loop, loop. Life. Death. Life., etc. It’s music I’ve always wanted to “sample” in some way, but decided was much more powerful in it’s original form to convey the message I wanted to put out there.

“In The End, We Count The Stones - What We Killed and What We Made”.

But alas, after the release of The Projectionist, someone pointed out that “It’s about 2 notes away from a christmas song”. hahah

It is what it is. But I still heart it.

thanks for the insight, thats a crazy way for a song to come aboot

Tonedeff said:

I first heard the instrumental for “Stones” on a wine commercial way back in 86-87. I remember, I was in my parent’s bedroom during a hot summer - cause they had the only room with an air conditioner in it. The radio was on, and nothing else - tuned to some all oldies station - and apparently the patrons of the station were wine drinkers - hence the commercial. I’d remember that melody for the next few decades.

One day, while digging through the crates, I stumbled onto the actual song. The SECOND I heard the first 3 notes.. I knew it was it. I was over the moon about it. I FINALLY FOUND THAT SONG that’d been playing in my head but no idea where it came from. But more importantly… I’d heard it once in my life… and it spoke to me.

Turns out it was an analog synth-instrumental from 1979, by a composer who shall not be named, but that has made some of the world’s greatest instrumental anthems. I love the cyclical nature of it. The way it just builds and builds. Layers upon layers. Totally up my alley.

Finding the right words to work much in the same way, spoke to “Spiral” and the cyclical nature of life/death. Loop, loop, loop. Life. Death. Life., etc. It’s music I’ve always wanted to “sample” in some way, but decided was much more powerful in it’s original form to convey the message I wanted to put out there.

“In The End, We Count The Stones - What We Killed and What We Made”.

But alas, after the release of The Projectionist, someone pointed out that “It’s about 2 notes away from a christmas song”. hahah

It is what it is. But I still heart it.

I thought it was a christmas song when I first heard it, and I was like “Really Tone? Really?” but then I actually listened to it, I dont regret it.

Tonedeff said:Turns out it was an analog synth-instrumental from 1979, by a composer who shall not be named, but that has made some of the world’s greatest instrumental anthems. I love the cyclical nature of it. The way it just builds and builds. Layers upon layers. Totally up my alley.

That’s really interesting. I’ll admit, it was a bit off putting at first, but with a few listens it grew on me. Personally, I LOVE how the song builds and the harmonies you put together, and I love the final line, “In the end we’re just names on a stone on a grave.”

“Stones” initially had a Christmasy sound to it to me. Then it just sounded church hymn like, which made me connect to the song more considering the what the song deal with. The song works for me.

last night I turned off the lights, turned on a strobe light and watched a ceiling fan spin while blasting The Projectionist. I think I reached Nirvana.

One tidbit that I think is being looked over from the Livestream w/Tonedeff… NEVER ENOUGH VIDEO IN PROGRESS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

houstonz said:One tidbit that I think is being looked over from the Livestream w/Tonedeff… NEVER ENOUGH VIDEO IN PROGRESS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was too stoked when he said that.

houstonz said:One tidbit that I think is being looked over from the Livestream w/Tonedeff… NEVER ENOUGH VIDEO IN PROGRESS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah I completely overlooked this somehow. Cool news, water was dope.

I’m surprised that a video from the album is being made at all because of the sampling, but i’m not complaining.

I’ve been lurking here intermitantly for sometime now.. Been listening to CL since around ‘06 .. but for some reason never got started onto Tone’s stuff.

Until I got this EP the day it dropped. I dont recall a day going past since without listening to it at least once. Sure I have been catching up in big way on a lot of Tone’s other stuff but damn .. This .. just .. kills on sooo many levels. Home, work, car, bike .. shit gets played!

Thanks for this, my only fear is that I’ll have killed these tracks by the time the album drops!

ash

I swear over the past few days, I’ve come across all of the soundtracks sampled in these songs without even knowing.

This is such an ambitious and perfectly executed concept by Tone (PAR). I know I’m going to touch on several points already mentioned in this thread but they deserve to be reiterated.

First off, the mark of any great music its relatability. Every track hits home in more ways than one. The title track sets the tone for the album in a deep narrative way, injecting us right into the heart of the emotional breakdown.

Never Enough is so damn sad. Such a beautiful melody and the lyrics are somehow poignant and vague simultaneously, allowing the song to be applied to anyone’s distress. I can’t even begin to dissect Spiral. I’ve never heard a song like this in my life and I’ll leave it at that.

(Small side note: on my last listen-through of this album I was driving and at the opening melody to Climb, I shit you not, a cloud of fucking doves exploded from the trees in front of me. Mother Nature thinks she’s funny). Anyway, Climb is an apt title for a track about ascending from the depths of depression. It’s an arduous, yet hope-inspiring journey and is absolutely needed after the last two tracks.

I don’t nderstand the apathy I’ve been reading towards Stones. It wraps up the EP expertly, reminding me of the end credits of a movie where you sit for a moment and reflect on all that just transpired. I love the whole cyclical theme of this album, between depression and hope, life and death, and the plot of any dramatic movie: prologue, conflict, climax, resolution, and credits. A standing ovation to you Mr. Peter Anthony Red for your first masterpiece. I anticipate the encore with bated breath.

End rant.

Aphorism said:(Small side note: on my last listen-through of this album I was driving and at the opening melody to Climb, I shit you not, a cloud of fucking doves exploded from the trees in front of me. Mother Nature thinks she’s funny).

Haha

Nice post, totally agree with everything.

OK so I was thinking of ways to get “The Projectionist” more out in the open. I think this might be a good idea. I dont know how many of you have heard of “The Needle Drop”, but it is an online album reviewer by the name of Anthony Fantano. He has over 22,000 likes on facebook and over 92,000 subscribers and 22,000,000 views on his youtube channel. ANYWAY. A lot of the time the way he picks what he reviews next is based on what fans want reviewed. Basically someone will post REVIEW GOOD KID M.A.A.D. CITY! on one of his other reviews and people will like it shooting it to the top thus gettings Fantano’s attention. I figure if someone posts The Projectionist (with a link perhaps) on some of his most popular reviews and we all go on there and like it… we should be able to get at least 25… then he will give it an official review. Given his love for great production and conceptual pieces I think he would give the projectionist a high rating. What do you guys think? We could apply this to all qn5 releases..

he did review oneirology HERE and gave it an 8/10 which most people recognized as too low if you read the youtube comments haha… but at least he’s hip to qn5 somewhat

I’m down. I’ve seen him review some really underground shit such as 7eventhirty’s Heaven’s Computer and he definitely has good taste.

I enjoy his reviews. When catm got a release date in 2011 I was getting ready to spam his pages to have him review it. I wish he would have reviewed death is silent.

I remember when The Projectionist dropped, the most beautiful thing I ever heard, and it seems I come across the beats of this album very frequently since then. Still listening and too hype for Hyperrealism

Is anyone else haunted by ‘Stones’?

The Projectionist has now been out for a year (I know the official release date was 6.12.12, but due to Tone’s illness it got delayed) and I fell like this is a good time for me to share a couple of thoughts on the project, which without question has grown to be one of my favorites to come out of the camp so far.

Honestly, I never thought I was going to love Peter Anthony Red’s music as much as I love Tonedeff’s. I mean, I liked a lot of Tone’s fully sung material (especially “Gathered”) but I couldn’t really picture him as a “real singer”. This skepticism disappeared the very second I put on The Projectionist.
Tone’s growth as a musician and as an artist is deeply impressive. I think everybody will agree that there are singers out there, who are technically more skilled than him, but he makes up for that with amazing writing, a great ear for melodies and most importantly; by being an artist in the truest sense of the word.
Through the music from QN5’s artists I’ve gained an appreciation for albums that are a cohesive, focused piece of art, rather than just being a bunch of songs thrown together. This EP is a perfect example of that approach to making music. It has a distinct “feel” to it – so melancholic and haunting, yet so incredibly beautiful. I puts me in a certain state of mind every single time I put it on, and even today, after more than 100 listens (I don’t exactly keep count, but I’m pretty sure that’s not even an exaggeration) I still find it damn near impossible to do anything else than just sit back and listen while I play it.

With that being said; even though The Projectionist works as a cohesive whole, I have to highlight one song. The centerpiece “Spiral” took quite a lot of time to start growing on me, but when it finally did, it ended up being my favorite song of 2012.
As we all know, Tone has released quite a lot of music, that erases the boundaries between genres, but from my point of view, “Spiral” is his biggest “Fuck you!” to genre this far – especially the first 1.30 minutes of the song. I mean, what do you even call that kind of vocal delivery? It is undoubtedly the most unique fusion of singing and rapping I have ever heard, but at the same time, the most natural; and I think it is safe to say, that no one else on the planet would be able to deliver the lyrics in this way.
The rest of the song is just as amazing. One of the things I really love about it, is how it takes everything you think you know about song structure and shatters it into pieces. There are no verses and choruses here, just constantly changing melodies, beautifully woven into each other. It makes it even more incredible that the unconventional structure works on a thematic level as well. The song perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being trapped in your own mind. It does not simple describe how it feels to be lost, confused and despairing; it actually recreates these emotions in the form of music. The amount of emotions that Tone has poured into 5.53 minutes of music is mind-blowing, and I love how one layer of melody is sounding like the narrator has already given up
(“Don’t pick me up. Just let me drown. Just close your eyes and turn around”)
while another is optimistic and tries to show the way out of the spiral
(“The spiral works both ways, the lines will curve and tighten. You’ll find you’ll know the way, you won’t be hurt or frightened”).
Again, it is something I have never seen anyone do before, and it is perfectly done.

I feel like there is so much more to say about this amazing EP, but I will stop it here for now. Thank you for creating this beautiful little gem, Mr. Anthony Red. I can’t wait to see, what you have in store for us with Hyperrealism.

^ Beautifully written. The Projectionist is a very very special project. Any time I feel in a funk about life I listen to this EP first. You feel the fall and rise of a man on that project, and it has really helped me climb out of holes before they got to deep. Hats off to Peter Anthony Red.

You nailed exactly what makes this EP one of my all-time favorite pieces of music, my fellow Dane. Thank you, Peter Anthony Red.

Friis said:The Projectionist has now been out for a year (I know the official release date was 6.12.12, but due to Tone’s illness it got delayed) and I fell like this is a good time for me to share a couple of thoughts on the project, which without question has grown to be one of my favorites to come out of the camp so far.

Honestly, I never thought I was going to love Peter Anthony Red’s music as much as I love Tonedeff’s. I mean, I liked a lot of Tone’s fully sung material (especially “Gathered”) but I couldn’t really picture him as a “real singer”. This skepticism disappeared the very second I put on The Projectionist.
Tone’s growth as a musician and as an artist is deeply impressive. I think everybody will agree that there are singers out there, who are technically more skilled than him, but he makes up for that with amazing writing, a great ear for melodies and most importantly; by being an artist in the truest sense of the word.
Through the music from QN5’s artists I’ve gained an appreciation for albums that are a cohesive, focused piece of art, rather than just being a bunch of songs thrown together. This EP is a perfect example of that approach to making music. It has a distinct “feel” to it – so melancholic and haunting, yet so incredibly beautiful. I puts me in a certain state of mind every single time I put it on, and even today, after more than 100 listens (I don’t exactly keep count, but I’m pretty sure that’s not even an exaggeration) I still find it damn near impossible to do anything else than just sit back and listen while I play it.

With that being said; even though The Projectionist works as a cohesive whole, I have to highlight one song. The centerpiece “Spiral” took quite a lot of time to start growing on me, but when it finally did, it ended up being my favorite song of 2012.
As we all know, Tone has released quite a lot of music, that erases the boundaries between genres, but from my point of view, “Spiral” is his biggest “Fuck you!” to genre this far – especially the first 1.30 minutes of the song. I mean, what do you even call that kind of vocal delivery? It is undoubtedly the most unique fusion of singing and rapping I have ever heard, but at the same time, the most natural; and I think it is safe to say, that no one else on the planet would be able to deliver the lyrics in this way.
The rest of the song is just as amazing. One of the things I really love about it, is how it takes everything you think you know about song structure and shatters it into pieces. There are no verses and choruses here, just constantly changing melodies, beautifully woven into each other. It makes it even more incredible that the unconventional structure works on a thematic level as well. The song perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being trapped in your own mind. It does not simple describe how it feels to be lost, confused and despairing; it actually recreates these emotions in the form of music. The amount of emotions that Tone has poured into 5.53 minutes of music is mind-blowing, and I love how one layer of melody is sounding like the narrator has already given up
(“Don’t pick me up. Just let me drown. Just close your eyes and turn around”)
while another is optimistic and tries to show the way out of the spiral
(“The spiral works both ways, the lines will curve and tighten. You’ll find you’ll know the way, you won’t be hurt or frightened”).
Again, it is something I have never seen anyone do before, and it is perfectly done.

I feel like there is so much more to say about this amazing EP, but I will stop it here for now. Thank you for creating this beautiful little gem, Mr. Anthony Red. I can’t wait to see, what you have in store for us with Hyperrealism.

slow-clap-gif.gif

Hyperrealism is easily my most anticipated album from qn5, and all music this year.