close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Deacon The Villain :: Official ‘Peace or Power’ [LP] Appreciation Thread ::

What did you guys think of the song What’s a Star?

I didn’t get to listen to it last night and today I’m too busy at work!!!!!!

SOON.

The Trashman said:I didn’t get to listen to it last night and today I’m too busy at work!!!!!!

SOON.

You ain’t ready. It exceeded the hype.

So I deliberately ignored all the singles released beforehand and went into this album fresh. First listen through and it is appropriately unique and unashamedly Deacon. Loving the various instrumentation and intricate production - this is clearly an album that both bangs outright, but will provide plenty of time to deconstruct it’s layers.

Not much else to say about it at this point, I’m glad that no particular track has stood out to me so far as it means the consistency has been high and also that there’s plenty here to dig into. Also really impressed with all the features, this is an album that it both full of DTV and yet many of my other current favourite rappers at the same time.

My only complaint is that when it finished I wanted it to keep going.. oh well, guess I’ll just start again from the top Very Happy

This is just a flat out masterpiece… I rarely ever say that after listening to an album only once… but this is a fuckin masterpiece.

This album is absolutely amazing. Every track is stellar and just.. man!! The instrumentation is a dream come true for me. Deacon done did it.

I seriously hope it gets released on vinyl.

houstonz said:
I seriously hope it gets released on vinyl.

giphy.gif

It blows my mind that one person could have produced this entire album. The production quality is just out of this world and there are so many subtleties that I’m starting to hear on repeat listens. Unbelievable album start to finish. My only complaint is the fact that the songs end.

I’ve been going nuts on my Snapchat (@tonedeffqn5) spreading the word to folks and hopefully get em not to sleep on this magnificent record.

I called Deacon earlier today to offer my sincerest props and let him know how proud of him I am for finally not only getting this album done, but making something so profoundly dope that I’m blown away by it. I’m still wrapping my head around the intricacies of the live instrumentation and the fucking LAAAAAYYEEERRSSSS of choir arrangements alone. Let alone them BARZZZ, son. It’s just staggering how dope this LP came out.

If “The Other Side” isn’t it a hit record…then fuck this world hard. When I heard the instrumental for this last year, I knew it was gonna kill… but I had no idea how badly he was gonna kill it with the verses & chorus. Woooooo. Luckily, he’s planning on making a music video for this one, so let’s keep our fingers crossed that helps get this more burn.

Also… TUNJI bodied his verse on “Marmalade”. Matter of fact, all the cameos came correct. Sheisty on “Peace or Power”? Woooo. And that beat? Woooooooo!! I mean, this shit is straight Rick Flair ill. So much to digest here. LOVE the split beats in “The Devil & The Deep” - that’s just masterclass shit to make 2 completely different songs on the same topic within the same song. Just…. maaaaan. I hate you, Deac. haha

I’m making it my personal mission to make sure this lands on SOMEONE’S Album of the Year list come December. It’ll be a fucking crime if no one here’s this. Deacon is hella low key and isn’t terrible active on social media, but I am… and some of y’all are… so let’s spread the word, eh?

First listen through. Other Side, Ghosts Don’t Lie, and Marmalade could loop on repeat for the rest of my life and I’d be good to go.

I agree with Epic Aesthetic that there is no stand out track but there is a stand out section of the album and that’s tracks 1 through 5 in my opinion. Absolute dopeness.

Tone your verse on here is insanely dope.

Oh damn I forgot about this and just checked my email. I’m 3 tracks in and it’s an instant classic. God damn, Deacon!

Numonic said:Tone your verse on here is insanely dope.

Good lookin out, mane!

This album is amazing, I can’t wait to get my copy, and it feels incredible to finally have a proper Deacon solo album after all this time. As dope as this is now, though…IMO…this is SUCH a summer album. Almost the entire album sounds meant for warm weather. Even the darker tracks like the title track and the Homeboy Sandman track still sound like summer to me. I’m sure I will listen to this a lot in the next few weeks…but I’m extra excited to come back to it every summer.

Pheenomz said:First listen through. Other Side, Ghosts Don’t Lie, and Marmalade could loop on repeat for the rest of my life and I’d be good to go.

Off first listen those stuck. Same with A Miracle Exists.

This album is beautiful. Musically, a musician’s album. Great songwriting, progressions, harmonies, melodies, and rhythms. There are flows I’ve never heard Deacon spit and deliveries and tone’s I’ve never really heard from him either.

The album feels like soul food on a Sunday after killing an obstacle in your life the previous day on Saturday while reflecting back on your life with each bite of that soul food. This record is beautiful. Can’t wait to digest it with more proper listens.

This album feels like sincerity. It’s just so sincere lol. Marmalade needs a music video.

Other side, devil and the deep, and a better place are standouts for me, and there’s not one bad or even average song or feature on the whole album imo. Usually there’s always a feature that I don’t care for on albums but everyone did great on this. I like how Tim pointed out on Twitter how the majority of the songs don’t follow the typical verse/hook/verse/hook format as well. Keeps it more interesting and unpredictable. Also really enjoying the singing to rapping ratio throughout the album, he hit just the perfect amount of each.

Soulful AF. I dig it.

JTX said:Also really enjoying the singing to rapping ratio throughout the album, he hit just the perfect amount of each.

Thanks yall for yalls comments! As Tone said, he’s been one of my biggest champions! This comment means alot to me, because I really wondered if there was too much singing on the album. I got much of my courage to do so much singing from Tone. I got alot of my inspiration to be musically fearless from Tone. Tone is the king of pushing the envelope and doing the unexpected. ALOT of this album is result of tone’s poking and prodding. I’m sooo glad yall are digging it.

- Deac

jbkrule said:My only complaint is the fact that the songs end.

lol, YES! Exactly!

houstonz said:

jbkrule said:My only complaint is the fact that the songs end.

lol, YES! Exactly!

I really fucking LOVE this album. My brain is refusing to let me stop playing it. I had the hook for Falling Sky stuck in my head all day today. This will probably go down as one of my favorite albums ever. I can’t just throw that title out there yet but it probably will be down the line. You are a fucking monster at what you do Deacon. Also I LOOOOOOOVED the singing. You used the perfect balance between that and rapping. Album of the year without a single hint of doubt for me.

Deacon The Villain said:This comment means alot to me, because I really wondered if there was too much singing on the album.

I think we would have all been disappointed if there was any less!

Considering how strong your rapping and producer abilities are it is simply unfair that you also have such a silky voice and hook writing proficiencies! QN5 has taught us over the years to challenge our perceptions of music, to open our minds to cross-pollination of genres and as a result appreciate intricate, intelligent music.

You could have made a very formulaic hip-hop album and I would have loved it, but you made something more.. something special (and I think we were expecting that of you all along).

Epic Aesthetic said:

Deacon The Villain said:This comment means alot to me, because I really wondered if there was too much singing on the album.

I think we would have all been disappointed if there was any less!

Considering how strong your rapping and producer abilities are it is simply unfair that you also have such a silky voice and hook writing proficiencies! QN5 has taught us over the years to challenge our perceptions of music, to open our minds to cross-pollination of genres and as a result appreciate intricate, intelligent music.

You could have made a very formulaic hip-hop album and I would have loved it, but you made something more.. something special (and I think we were all expecting that of you all along).

I couldn’t agree more with this. If Deacon were to make a very formulaic hip hop album it just wouldn’t sound right to me. Sure I’d love it but it wouldn’t connect with me the way this is.

Epic Aesthetic said:
QN5 has taught us over the years to challenge our perceptions of music, to open our minds to cross-pollination of genres and as a result appreciate intricate, intelligent music.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Smile Smile Smile Realest shit I ever read.

amazing album couldn’t repeat a song beacause the next one was great as well
deserves a vinyl version quality art work

Deacon The Villain said:

JTX said:Also really enjoying the singing to rapping ratio throughout the album, he hit just the perfect amount of each.

Thanks yall for yalls comments! As Tone said, he’s been one of my biggest champions! This comment means alot to me, because I really wondered if there was too much singing on the album. I got much of my courage to do so much singing from Tone. I got alot of my inspiration to be musically fearless from Tone. Tone is the king of pushing the envelope and doing the unexpected. ALOT of this album is result of tone’s poking and prodding. I’m sooo glad yall are digging it.

- Deac

I’m glad you didn’t wonder too much to second guess it. The album feels very natural, if that makes sense. Natural in the sense that it truly feels like you expressed yourself musically very freely. I guess it’s hard to explain, but the album is such an easy listen and it feels to me personally like no matter what mood I’m in, I could put this on and enjoy it the same any time. The switching of styles, the production, the tempos…nothing seems forced or random…everything meshes so well and easy where I can put this on shuffle and it’ll all feel right in place. Incredible work, Deac!

The work deluge that has prevented me from actually listening to this ended two hours ago. I demand remixes upon remixes of ‘The Other Side’. That song should not exist in one version, it is far too amazing.

And I really love ‘Love’. Funky throwback shit.

As I get more listens, it’s going to take me weeks to write a real review. Following my other posts, Little Drummer Boy is real dope. Emotive on so many ways. With headphones - chills.

On and this album needs to be tweeted non-stop to Andre, Big Boi, and Quest Love. I feel like they’d all freak.

The pre-song parts are very cool. The little bit that comes before the rest of the song. Deacon seems to be having fun with them. The little bits of narrative or singing that come before Ghosts Don’t Lie, Little Drummer Boy, or the Devil and the Deep are all awesome. None of them are necessary to make a great song, but like the horns at the end of Marmalade, they are just amazing additions that create fuller experiences.

Devil in the Deep is pure, refined dopeness. All the weird parts of that song that somehow hold together. Wow.

So I figured I’d bring it up since it hasn’t been brought up yet. The Power that Binds might be one of the best interludes ever. It’s so dark and eerie. I fucking love that vocal sample that Deacon laid down over it. The way it flows right into What’s A Star? is unreal. I find that I’m left with my jaw dropped every time I finish listening to this album.

I mean lets not forget that Polymer isn’t too far away. Two albums of this magnitude in the span of a few months? This run of releases from QN5 is about to be bananas.

Revision said:The pre-song parts are very cool. The little bit that comes before the rest of the song. Deacon seems to be having fun with them. The little bits of narrative or singing that come before Ghosts Don’t Lie, Little Drummer Boy, or the Devil and the Deep are all awesome. None of them are necessary to make a great song, but like the horns at the end of Marmalade, they are just amazing additions that create fuller experiences.

Devil in the Deep is pure, refined dopeness. All the weird parts of that song that somehow hold together. Wow.

I found that some of the switch ups or bridges, breaks, whatever they’re technically called at the end of many songs are FIRE. Especially the end of the title track.