close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Deacon The Villain :: Official ‘Peace or Power’ [LP] Appreciation Thread ::

amplifya said:This album is amazing, I can’t wait to get my copy, and it feels incredible to finally have a proper Deacon solo album after all this time. As dope as this is now, though…IMO…this is SUCH a summer album. Almost the entire album sounds meant for warm weather. Even the darker tracks like the title track and the Homeboy Sandman track still sound like summer to me. I’m sure I will listen to this a lot in the next few weeks…but I’m extra excited to come back to it every summer.

With Halloween coming, maybe this works as an October album. The Devil! But I hear you on the Summer vibe.

Just realized I got an email from Deacon thanking us (those who preordered) for the preorder and an exclusive new track in the email. It’s a thank you track called “Keep Pushin’” and of course it’s dope.

It’s all good about the physicals Deacon, they can come whenever they come, the digital is all I need right now. Awesome work.

Just having my first listen. Just awesome. Agree about the summer vibe; those joyous horns reminding me a little of the 70s soul music of my long-distant youth! Smile

Thanks so much Deacon for a record that I know will give me many hours of pleasure in the future.

Numonic said:Just realized I got an email from Deacon thanking us (those who preordered) for the preorder and an exclusive new track in the email. It’s a thank you track called “Keep Pushin’” and of course it’s dope.

Shit, that’s cool. I didn’t pre-order cause money’s been tight for me. Will this track be exclusive to pre-orders only? As a long lurking blue schooler I would love to hear/have that track.

You can listen on SoundCloud but it looks like a legit download is only available through the email to those who pre-ordered.

I don’t remember another album on Bandcamp with as diverse “Favorite Tracks”. We got 1 for Marmalade, 1 for Little Drummer Boy, 2 for City of Son, 1 for Falling Sky, and 1 for the Other Side. If that isn’t evidence of a crazy, balanced album then I don’t know what is.

(But by the way, objectively speaking the best song is The Devil & the Deep)

Is it just me or does The Devil and the Deep seem like it lasts forever? I love the transitions and different elements to that song!

caracicatriz said:Is it just me or does The Devil and the Deep seem like it lasts forever? I love the transitions and different elements to that song!

Not just you, while it says it is only 4:05, I listened to it with my Iphone stopwatch and that song is actually 23 minutes long.

The Power That Binds might be a top 5 interlude on a QN5 related album that I’ve ever heard. That instrumental and vocal sample (correct me if it’s not a sample) are just unbelievably gorgeous. I almost wish it was 4-5 minutes with some verses and a hook.

Also, can we talk about how fucking catchy Falling Sky is? I’ve had that hook stuck in my head for weeks now and Deacon MURDERS his verse on that song. Chu certainly did the song justice as well. The instrumental is beautiful. It’s definitely one of my top 3 favorites on the album right now.

Better Place is also another one of my favorites (I’m talkin bout a better plaaaaaace).

This is one of the best albums I think I’ve ever heard. People need to start giving Deacon some fucking credit as one of the best artists to ever bless a studio with his talent and presence. I’ve said it numerous times before but if people aren’t calling Deacon one of the best MC’s and one of the best producers in music after hearing this then I’m not sure what else you want. Album of the year EASILY.

I’m still really hoping that this album will get put out on Vinyl.

Not to take away from anything Deacon did on this album, but I really wanna talk about how great Tonedeff sounded over that beautiful beat that Deacon made for What’s a Star?
The one thing I was dying to hear Tonedeff do again for the first time in a while was to go over some Deacon production and I got my wish.

I know everyone wants to hear CATM (and I know I surely do myself), but I gotta say that I’d be interested to hear what a Tonedeff & Deacon the Villain duo-collab album would sound like.

Will the t-shirt and the bandanna that came in the bundle be released separately at any stage? Kicking myself i missed them, they looked dope

Looks like they have the shirts right now on the Euro Tour. So my guess is they’ll be available online eventually. Donno about the bandanas.

In the description it said the t-shirt and bandanas were limited. I guess they still had some extra t-shirts left after all of the pre-orders went out.

Outstanding album all the way through. Really enjoyed playing it on the ride home today. I don’t know why but when I was listening to Tone’s verse on “what’s a star” I got mad 2003 hiphop nostalgia. 2003 was a pivotal year for me and hip hop, one of the best years, I don’t know, it just hit me like that listening to his verse.

Edit: I got my CD in the mail. So dope.

I love it when an album has a climax. Deacon is responsible for two this year:

From Peace or Power: “In the end everyone lays low/ He never eat, never sleep, just waiting until I AM say go/ Whether it’s peace or power you pray fo’

And from Winterfire: “She had to find the will to shine in the dark/ Sometimes you need winter for fire to spark”

Deacon just has a way of packing so much meaning (and emotion) in to few words.

Package arrived today from USPS! Tee-short, bandana, poster, stickers, all dope. Smile

When Deac congratulated me on my T-shirt after the London show (a well-worn Still Motion one), I should have thought to say that I had one from him coming in the post!

Anther great show, BTW. I’ve been waiting for the in-depth review and set-list from Epic and/or Scott, but evidently they’re slacking on the job these days…

Mine hasn’t arrived :/

I’m wearing mine now, if that helps… Smile

Epic Aesthetic said:Mine hasn’t arrived :/

That seems off. Tried to contact them yet?

Almost 3 months later and this album is still one of the best projects I’ve heard in years. It’s a shame that this album is getting slept on the way it is because Deacon deserves more credit than what he’s getting right now. One of the most talented artists on the planet hands down. One of my favorite CL related albums to ever be released.. right up there with Oneirology, APOS, & Dirty Acres.

Fully agree. It really is right up there.

So about 4 months later and no one is talking about this anymore?

Like I said before this album for me is one of the best I’ve heard in a very long time. Right up there with Oneirology in my top 5 albums of the decade list.

mattthegod said:So about 4 months later and no one is talking about this anymore?

Like I said before this album for me is one of the best I’ve heard in a very long time. Right up there with Oneirology in my top 5 albums of the decade list.

Ha! Thanks for that!

Yeah, still spinning this album and loving it every time. No one really spends their time on interludes anymore and I think they are perfect on this album. Love this album. That Falling Sky song is growing on me and might be my favorite piece on the album now. Anyone else have any songs growing on them? I always think that is the coolest part about albums.

Revision said:Yeah, still spinning this album and loving it every time. No one really spends their time on interludes anymore and I think they are perfect on this album. Love this album. That Falling Sky song is growing on me and might be my favorite piece on the album now. Anyone else have any songs growing on them? I always think that is the coolest part about albums.

Yeah Falling Sky has kind of been my go to song when being in a bad mood as of late. It just sounds really beautiful and uplifting. This album came out for me at the perfect time. I suffer from depression so whenever I’m feeling down this album really does give me that swift kick in the ass to get up and do something.

I agree with your point about the interludes too. The Power that Binds is just unbelievable. Sometimes I wish it was a full song but it changes the mood of the album perfectly. When you’re at City of Son it’s just really uplifting and a bit happier but then The Power that Binds changes the mood from happy to serious perfectly by going into What’s a Star?. This album really gives you everything.

Also let me just this again cause it needs to be said… the world needs more Tonedeff and Deacon collabs. Tonedeff sounded perfect over the beat for What’s a Star?.

Peace or Power vinyl incoming!!! It’s being pressed right now so that means it probably won’t be a pre-order! (or if it is it’ll be a short one) *note the comment section*

2na5v7p.jpg

giphy.gif

THANK YOU BABY JESUS

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:Peace or Power vinyl incoming!!! It’s being pressed right now so that means it probably won’t be a pre-order!

You are correct. No pre-order. Salute!