close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Kno I’m taking a Death In Perspective class and thinking of promoting Death Is Silent with the class.

I’m taking a Death In Perspective course right now and I’m thinking of promoting Death Is Silent to the class. I usually have bad luck with promoting music I like which is why I stopped doing it, but this album is both good music and about death so I was thinking it might be a good idea. I see that on bandcamp it is name your own price so I was thinking of sending an email to the class with the bandcamp link and of course a little background about Kno and my history with listening to his great music. I’m not sure how many people in the class actually listen to hip hop though. What do you guys think and what’s the best way to do this? By the way this week is the last week of the semester but I have the classes email addresses. I’m sure Kno would probably like me to buy a copy for each student in the class, which is 24 but as much as I love the album and Kno’s music I don’t think I’ll be doing that.

Mass email saying some people might be interested in the concept of the album with some relation to shit you learned in class, a short synopsis of it, and the bandcamp link. Easy as pie.

And I’m not sure why buying 24 copies of it would be problematic.. as it’s name your own price/free at the moment. LOL

Thanks I think I’ll do what you said. Oh and I meant buying 24 physical copies of the album for the class.

lol I’m kind of hesitant to send the email to the class including the professor but here is what I typed up in the email I’ll send it later whether or not I get feedback here.

This is the email I am prepared to send:

I’m not sure how many of you listen to hip hop music but this is one of my favorite albums. It’s by an artist named Kno. The album is titled “Death is Silent” and the album has a theme of death throughout every song. It’s not your typical hip hop album/music. I find the lyrics to be very poetic in using metaphors and double entendres while sticking to the concept of death and the music is very soulful. The album and the lyrics are available for listen by clicking on this website here:

http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/album/death-is-silent

Death Is Silent cover art

There is a video for a couple of the songs on the album which can be viewed on youtube here:

Kno - La Petite Mort (Come Die With Me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4BczQwUWgI

and

Kno - “Graveyard” featuring Sheisty Khrist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BivY6BkX0&list=UUtgWIx-WT6cATMKqu6o9zrg&index=6&feature=plcp

I think it’s great music and i found it fitting to promote it for this course. So I hope you enjoy it. Oh and Parental Advisory but we’re all adults.

If you’d like to hear the music without the rapping on it the instrumentals are also available and they are also great on their own:

http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/album/death-is-silent-instrumentals

i wouldnt add the Graveyard vid. but whatevs

yeah i had a doubt about graveyard because it’s the one track without a concept perse, you know the battle track but at the same time everything else about it is about death. I love the video especially, with the whole graveyard scene and all. But I think the fact that it’s a battle track does take away from it more than everything else about it puts in to it. So I think I’ll take that video out of the email/promotion.

It very much so has a concept/purpose. lol

yeah I can see in the hook and the beat and the video but Kno’s verse which I love to death no pun intended doesn’t incorporate death.

Even Kno as I remember said something about that song being the song that needed to be made to stand out as a single. The hook by Sheisty Khrist and beat allow it to remain part of the concept of the album but isn’t it just a battle rap verse.

I think someone on the boards (actually…was it you Zack?) had a great deal of success in promoting DiS in an English / Comparative Lit class.

My suggestion would be to start with the title track. Greek Chorus steez.

After the depressing (understatement) events of Spread Your Wings that put the protagonist into the “smile, they brought your coffin in” mind state.. he pretty much sets off on a reckless path that could intersect with death (the end goal at this point) by gambling, instigating, and having (bomb ass) casual sex.

Edit: Yeah, it was in my Humanities course last year. Wrote a paper on it and the next day I walk in and the professor has the title track queued up on the projector. haha

I sent the email minus the graveyard video. I was about to ask if I should have been more detailed about the songs instead of just saying that there is a theme of death throughout the album but i just said fuck it and sent it as is. Hope to get some good feedback from the class about it but if I don’t oh well.

Yeah, my prof seemed to be the only one interested in my situation. Good luck, lol

Well just to follow up, the professor never responded to my email nor did anyone in the class except for one student who brought it up during the last day of class. The guy who brought it up had his own lyrics from some rock song to quote from a song about the subject and before doing so to the class he mentioned the email I sent so I had a brief moment to explain the email to the class. During that time one other person mentioned that they would have listened to it but that they were at work and couldn’t. I think I heard a couple other people murmur that they were confused about the email, whatever that means. After that last day of class still no one not even the professor responded to the email. Oh well I received an A in the class so whatever. I just thought if there were ever a place and time to promote this album, this course would be the best place, how that failed is beyond me.

its cuz they don’t recognize education from the streets.

Numonic said:Well just to follow up, the professor never responded to my email nor did anyone in the class except for one student who brought it up during the last day of class. The guy who brought it up had his own lyrics from some rock song to quote from a song about the subject and before doing so to the class he mentioned the email I sent so I had a brief moment to explain the email to the class. During that time one other person mentioned that they would have listened to it but that they were at work and couldn’t. I think I heard a couple other people murmur that they were confused about the email, whatever that means. After that last day of class still no one not even the professor responded to the email. Oh well I received an A in the class so whatever. I just thought if there were ever a place and time to promote this album, this course would be the best place, how that failed is beyond me.

To be fair if some random kid in my class sent me an e-mail like that for some Death Metal group or something i’d probably ignore it too. Being a fan of QN5 has kind of made me become more open to trying new music since I know what it’s like to be on the other side, but still it’s easy to just ignore something like that.