close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff ::Polymer Prediction::

::Polymer Prediction::

I’ve been very curious about Tone’s next project lately. When I saw the Q&A livestream a few months back I had a wild idea as to what this project may be about but I shrugged it off. Now it’s time to share it…

_Ok what we know_

“Poly” means many and “mer” means parts.

A polymer is a large molecule composed of repeating structural units.

They encompass a large class of compounds comprising both natural and synthetic materials.

All living things are made from polymers. Many musical instruments are made from polymers. (Violins, guitars, keyboards, synthesizers, organs, drums)

Prediction: This album may heavily feature instruments made from polymers. And I’m sure it’ll have a great amount of harmonies as well. I’m thinking more than a few songs may sound something like Politics.

_What we know from the Q&A Livestream_

“Crispy” is on it

“Not a traditional album”

“Outside the box”

Has “crazy songs”

“Has a concept to it”

Tone hasn’t seen anybody else do it yet

_Prediction_

I Think Polymer may end up being somewhat similar to Poet Laureate Infinity (PLOO) by Canibus.

For those who arent familiar with PLOO, it involves taking different “layers” or parts from a 1000 bar song and re-arranging them to create something entirely different. The possibilities for new songs are endless. Canibus released PLOO in 2007 and his fans have created thousands of different mixes.

Now I wonder if Tonedeff is doing something similar but upping the ante and making a whole album with that concept except the actual beats are interchangeable along with the vocals.

Imagine Polymer on one level being released like a normal album with 15ish tracks along with a separate cd with beats and vocals so QN5 fans can remix the songs by mixing and matching verses to different beats to create new songs. There might even be a website with a mixing interface where you can create your own mixes without needing pro tools or some other mixing program.

Imagine what 15 tracks can yield in combinations.

15 tracks, 3 verses in each (15^3) = 3375 combinations. Now thats only mixes with 3 verses over 1 beat. You could by all means do 4 verses and increase the possibilities.

I even bet to increase the yield of the combinations the beats might also change throughout the original song.

lets imagine each beat changes just once so it doubles the possibilities. Kinda like how the beat changed throughout Politics.

15 songs = 30 beats plus the 3 verse format (30^3) = 27,000 combinations.

What if the beat changes 3 times? 15x3=45, 45 beats plus 3 verse format = 91,125 combinations.

Now remember this isnt a traditional album so maybe there wont even be a 3 verse format, maybe the vocals are created in such a way where each song can be split into 5 segments. (Maybe 3 verses, 1 hook and 1 bridge per song)

5 segments on just 1 beat= 759375 combinations….holy fuck! What about 2 or 3 beats?

Imagine creating your own Tonedeff track by re-arranging verses, hooks, bridges and beats…I’m getting wet just thinking about it.

This could be a great way to interact with the QN5 fans to create something that’s never been done before. You could be hearing fresh mixes of this album for years to come.

Or I could be completely wrong and Polymer may end up being something totally different, time will tell.

holy fuckin shit, my head just imploded and exploded at the same time

You know I had an idea kind of like that for a rap album some years ago except it utilized the “shuffle” option. But the original idea did not really utilize music, it just worked around the music. The idea was basically to have half a sentence at the beginning and ending of each track. Each track starting with the ending half of a sentence and ending with the beginning half of a sentence, all different half sentences for each track. And the half sentences can be connected with any other half sentence of the other tracks so that when you shuffled the album you’d hear a number of different completed sentences formed from one track going to another. That’s difficult because the connected completed sentences have to make sense. I would call the album “The Missing Link”. The idea can be done with an album/versus only all of the beats have the same time signature/beats per minute although the melodies and samples in the beats can change up.

I heard about the Canibus idea some years ago but i never explored it. But my idea would give purpose for using the “shuffle” button on your player. I just never went along and made this album or even song happen. Maybe Polymer would do this.

But basically what The Cosmos is saying is that you’re interchanging verses to give new meanings to songs, would be cool if it did it with the shuffle button so that you can pop the CD in put it on shuffle and basically hear new songs every time you listen to the CD. But that doesn’t sound like it’d have the same impact on me as the connecting half sentences/bars to make full sentences/bars but to create the half sentence/bar idea to a full album would take several life times to create, no one has that time to create enough half bar combinations to fill up an album.

Oh please don’t think Tone would do something as harebrained and messy as that. Tone makes organized albums where each track has a specific purpose and actually puts effort into his track ordering, unlike 99% of rappers. In fact that’s something that most of the artists in QN5 do. Canibus can get away with it because 90% of his rhymes are basically about nothing, so of course you can chop up his verses and mix them together (and I’m a Canibus fan…still). What you’re talking about sounds more like a cute sideshow gimmick that the kind of powerful artistic vision Tonedeff brings to the table nowadays which always has a real purpose.

Regardless of how out of the box or crazy this album will be I find it almost impossible to believe Tonedeff would create an album that basically has no meaning just to show off some odd ball concept. Also, aren’t you directly contradicting yourself? You acknowledge Tone said that no one’s done it before yet you basically present an idea that’s along the line of what Canibus has done before.

Sorry to be somewhat harsh but I kind of want to kill the hivemind before it starts and we have people clamoring for Tone to do something as ridiculous and pointless as what’s suggested.

I’m kinda with tak on this one. lol

Plus, I don’t see Tone releasing an album’s worth of instrumentals and acapellas to be fucked with by the guys who try to rap over rappers rap beats with rapping and beat rap rap rappity rap soooooo kerplunk

Lol glad one of the board’s most prolific members sort of agrees with me. I was bracing for a possible flame war with everyone.

Just think about if someone mixed a verse from “Porcelain” with a verse from “Children” and then the hook from “Case Closed” over the beat from “Pervert”. It wouldn’t be very good, certainly not as good as the original tracks. It’d only work well if the album was full of Tonedeff verses that are all about the same thing (or nothing at all) with the same mood. And since “Crispy” is absolutely nothing like ‘The Dirtiest Song Ever’ it seems unlikely that’ll be the case.

So tak08810 Im not contradicting myself I said it would be similar to PLOO not the exact same thing and there are a ton of people who have no idea what PLOO is so someone like tone could easily overlook it.

With canibus you could take different bars and rearrange them, with polymer im suggesting prestructured ‘‘segments’’ or verses that can be reordered by ‘snapping’ them out of their original song and placing them in another and maybe changing the beat.

And the whole album doesnt have to be about the same thing, it can have a theme that the tracks reflect. Right now you have two parts of the puzzle (crispy and that dirty song) you cant see the whole picture with only two pieces of the puzzle.

And houstonz its not like this album would be for those rappers, its for the fans to remix.

And houstonz it looks like you got a brain aneurysm towards the end of you comment, everything ok?

theKOSMOS said:So tak08810 Im not contradicting myself I said it would be similar to PLOO not the exact same thing and there are a ton of people who have no idea what PLOO is so someone like tone could easily overlook it.

With canibus you could take different bars and rearrange them, with polymer im suggesting prestructured ‘‘segments’’ or verses that can be reordered by ‘snapping’ them out of their original song and placing them in another and maybe changing the beat.

And the whole album doesnt have to be about the same thing, it can have a theme that the tracks reflect. Right now you have two parts of the puzzle (crispy and that dirty song) you cant see the whole picture with only two pieces of the puzzle.

And houstonz its not like this album would be for those rappers, its for the fans to remix.

But based on that logic it’d be an option to exchange verses/hooks between those two songs we know about. Can you ever picture that happening and producing a song that’s better than the original? Or do you think that those songs will be the exception or something.

I don’t know, the whole thing just comes off as a rather cheap gimmick, and Tonedeff is someone who absolutely abhors cheap gimmicks (why else does he hate being labeled as a “fast” rapper and refuses to go the path of, say, Rebel XD or Mac Lethal). What artistic purpose would this concept have? What greater depth or insight would this give into the music? Is it anything more really than a cool little parlor trick?

At the same time though, I suppose if anyone could pull off something like that in a manner that DOESN’T come off as cheap and gimmicky, it’d be Tonedeff.

theKOSMOS said:

Sorry, but when I buy an album I expect that shit to be mixed for me, the only thing I’ll do with it is put in my cd player.

theKOSMOS said:And houstonz it looks like you got a brain aneurysm towards the end of you comment, everything ok?

Define everything.

Bzzzzzrt

Tonedeff no likey the remix generation. Not that anybody’s theory sucks, but I’m gonna go with interconnected concept album rather than interchangeable remix segments.

The Kosmos even if Tone considered the idea, it would take several lifetimes for him to make sure all of those hundreds of thousands of combinations form cohesive comprehensible songs each with a new an different topic. Like Tak said, Canibus was able to pull it off in his lifetime because his original song was just random lines, the original song itself had no single concept/topic and neither did the songs that the fans made. Canibus’ idea was lazy and kind of reckless. He did not even think of what people could end up having him say after they connected the lyrics, he did not see any of the possible combinations let alone all of them. If Tone were to do something like this the original song/album would have to have an original concept/topic/story first and he would have to basically form new concepts/topics/stories with those other 800,000 combination of verses, hooks, bridges etc. so as to not have any instances where a nonsensical verse/song would be formed like tak pointed out with trying to exchange verses on Archetype. Not saying it’s a bad idea, just saying that it would take just as long, no scratch that longer (because it obviously takes longer to create a song than to listen to it) to create all those hundreds of thousands of combinations as it would to hear all those hundreds of thousands of combinations. It would take several lifetimes to do it and have all combinations make sense and at the same time create a different meaning. Maybe some supercomputer can do it faster, like the ones used to decode the combination sequence for combination locks.

Leo said:

Sorry, but when I buy an album I expect that shit to be mixed for me, the only thing I’ll do with it is put in my cd player.

Dude go read the first post before commenting, it would be a normal CD with 15ish tracks so you dont have to do anything if you dont want to.

Some of you are making this more complicated than it has to be. Think of heavyweight or case closed or issawn, all pretty similar in content and the verses carry a narrative only in theme, therefore verse 2 could be tweaked to work as the opening as well the the closing verse for those songs…..so why would it be so hard to make a whole album like that?

It wouldnt be a cheap gimmick, it would be something never done by any other artist. And it would be much easier than you guys are making it sound like.

And just to point it out, canibus split 1000 bars into 5 layers of 200 bars each and the layers align to rhyme with each other so its really like 5 tracks that are interchangeable. And yeah bis is mostly just spitting dope lines but it does have a theme….its a recurring theme most rappers use at some point in their songs: IM THE BEST RAPPER IN EXISTENCE! Maybe tone is adopting that motif for polymer.

I think that’s the theme of his upcoming EP before Polymer.

This thread is hilarious.

^ dont believe it guys, just an attempt to throw us off lmao

If I gotta fight for the rest of my girl’s panties when she leaves

My head hurts after reading all of this.

If only a woman could be remixed in such a way.

theKOSMOS said:

Leo said:

Dude go read the first post before commenting, it would be a normal CD with 15ish tracks so you dont have to do anything if you dont want to.

Some of you are making this more complicated than it has to be. Think of heavyweight or case closed or issawn, all pretty similar in content and the verses carry a narrative only in theme, therefore verse 2 could be tweaked to work as the opening as well the the closing verse for those songs…..so why would it be so hard to make a whole album like that?

It wouldnt be a cheap gimmick, it would be something never done by any other artist. And it would be much easier than you guys are making it sound like.

And just to point it out, canibus split 1000 bars into 5 layers of 200 bars each and the layers align to rhyme with each other so its really like 5 tracks that are interchangeable. And yeah bis is mostly just spitting dope lines but it does have a theme….its a recurring theme most rappers use at some point in their songs: IM THE BEST RAPPER IN EXISTENCE! Maybe tone is adopting that motif for polymer.

If rearranging the verses doesn’t give new meaning/concept to the newly created song then there’s no point in doing it. And doing it that way would be exactly the same thing Canibus did which I think was cheap and gimmicky.

You know how they make those children’s keyboards? They have pictures of animals on, like a cow going “moo” and duck going “quack”.

I don’t remember where I was going with this..

CleanupCrew said:If only a woman could be remixed in such a way.

It’s called plastic surgery, and much like a remix, it turns out to be terrible most of the time.

deStructuralized said:If I gotta fight for the rest of my girl’s panties when she leaves

LMFAOOOOOO this comment was golden.

Damn.
I just thought it was an electronic based hip hop album.

I think the “never done before” part is that he’s going to record the entire album from his couch while sipping Jack Daniels through a silly straw.

That’s been done already. Have you ever heard a Scarlett Johansson album?

^ lmao I just recently heard “falling down” by Scarlett J and that poor girl sounds like she just ate glass shards for breakfast after coming down from a week-long drug addled binge.

theKOSMOS said:^ lmao I just recently heard “falling down” by Scarlett J and that poor girl sounds like she just ate glass shards for breakfast after coming down from a week-long drug addled binge.

I have a friend who’s boyfriend left her for Scarlett Johansson. Bummer.

*upgrade*