close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion What’s your occupation? What do you want to do?

I’m a 911 dispatcher going on 6 years now. I like my job but it’s definitely not something I want to keep doing my whole life. I plan on trying to get a job dispatching for the fire department come november so I can get my foot in the door, then hopefully get hired on as a firefighter in the future.

I’m a freelance writer and a social media manager. Definite pros & cons, mostly financial because I can never accurately predict my monthly earnings. If I have a really good month, I can’t enjoy it too much because the next month or two might be rough. Really sucks when you’re as bad at managing money as I am.

But most of my day-to-day work can be done remotely from my iPhone or iPad. And I get to travel and be one of those obnoxious people sitting at a café with his MacBook from time to time. Office jobs aren’t for me.

The goal is to land somewhere with good benefits and a consistent monthly salary I can count on (that won’t inhibit my freelance earning potential, too). Because money is good. I like money.

35tol7.jpg

My title is Web Technical Analyst for an antibody company outside of Philly. We sell products to universities and research hospitals all over the world.

It’s cool but our IT department is only 3 people so I do everything from helping scientists with their computers, setting up workstations, to doing marketing for the website, to managing content for the site, to setting up our SharePoint environment and migrating our e-mail to Exchange Online, to being a power user on our Dynamics CRM. Basically anything web related I support it.

My end goal is to get more into development so that I can be one of these consultants riding around in a Beamer or better, getting paid to travel and work on new projects for other companies. For now, I am building my skills and work ethic. I also work with a bunch of cute scientist girls, so I am able to continue my reign as The King of the Nerds. I turned down a super corporate job (Lockheed Martin) for a more tight-knit feel here, our company is essentially a skeleton crew but that makes more sense to me. Also, they don’t pee test here, I liked that a lot.

I think the most important things about my job now is that we are growing so its not like some places I’ve been where everyone is miserable because the company is about to go belly up.

Ive been working retail for the past 2 and a half years. I lose faith in humanity every day because of it haha. It’s really just a job to hold down while I go to school. Im in my third year and am going to be an English teacher…preferably upper level high school.

I coach high school basketball and I am a Counselor (not a guidance counselor) at a middle school.

I work primarily in the 6th grade with at-risk kids. We work on anything from anger management to impulse control to grief counseling to hallucinations….anything and everything that could possibly hinder a child’s learning experience. I was working in the high school with at-risk kids, but decided to switch over. It seems there is less desire for counselors that want to work in a middle school. I’ve been doing it for 5 years now, and I love doing anything and everything I can to help out the kids. Even just putting a smile on their face is worth it. Its crazy to hear about what some of these kids have to go through on a daily basis and be expected to obtain everything they are supposed to learn in school.

I’m also in retail/customer service while going to school. Gonna get my Pharmacy Technician certification next summer, see if I can transfer into the pharmacy inside the store I already work in, and take the last few biology and chemistry courses I need for Pre-Pharmacy. Then I’ll get into the Pharm.D program and after about 4 years of going insane and learning everything there is to know, I’ll be a Pharmacist making 90k+ annually.

Or I might die of stress overload during my Pharm.D stuff. We’ll see.

Amen said:obnoxious people sitting at a café with his MacBook

Including the acute accent on “cafe” is worse, haha. Writers… Smile

The Trashman said:one of these consultants riding around in a Beamer or better, getting paid to travel and work on new projects for other companies

rain2.gif

I’m a first year at OSU and I’m interning at a graphics and design company making small local TV mattress ads. I’m not exactly clear on what I want to do, but it’ll probably in multimedia production, which I realize is a pretty vague description.

chris said:

Amen said:obnoxious people sitting at a café with his MacBook

Including the acute accent on “cafe” is worse, haha. Writers… Smile

Wink.gif

I’m an Automation Engineer at a company that makes Catalytic Converters in the Philly area. I basically keep our production lines running and work on projects to further automate the plants. This includes robotics and PLC programming.

Current job: Attorney

Dream job: sell scripts/direct ill ass movies. (I don’t write in Starbucks for the record haha).

I was working as a security guard doing corporate security but got made redundant a couple of weeks ago. Just applied for the army and waiting for a response. So in the mean time professional bum.

Current Job: I’m a Creative Director for a company.

Dream Job: To make art full-time professionally.

Current Job: Yo, I do Photoshop

Dream Job: Yeah, I rap…

I’m a Physical Therapist Assistant and in the process (in 3 years) of becoming a Physical Therapist.

I do landscaping at a golf course. It can be a bitch sometimes, but it’s pretty awesome having a job where I don’t have to deal with people and can listen to my headphones most of the day.

I’m currently studying to become a project manager in Multimedia (web specifically). Right now I’m doing an internship in Canada as a web integrator/developer.

I have absolutely no idea what I want to do. I’ll probably continue doing this for some time but it’s definitely not my ambition or passion.

Numonic said:I’m a Physical Therapist Assistant and in the process (in 3 years) of becoming a Physical Therapist.

small world!

Recent graduate with a B.S. in Biology, Psych minor. Currently working as a researcher for the NIH. A temporary thing, it’s actually a post-bac position so I can only stay for two years max. In the process of applying to medical school. Hopefully by the time I’m 40 or 50 at the oldest I’ll be one of those doctors that works less than 40 hours a week and has multiple sports cars + a 3 story, five bedroom house. Of course more likely I’ll be working 60 hours a week for around 100k a year, which isn’t bad by any means.

I own an operate an Anytime Fitness. It’s a global fitness facility franchise, or simply, a gym. The facility opened 4 months ago. I absolutely love it so far. Being my own boss is amazing. It was releatively cheap to open as well, and brings big money if managed correctly. There is about 2000 of them worldwide. I bet many of you have some in your area.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:I own an operate an Anytime Fitness. It’s a global fitness facility franchise, or simply, a gym. The facility opened 4 months ago. I absolutely love it so far. Being my own boss is amazing. It was releatively cheap to open as well, and brings big money if managed correctly. There is about 2000 of them worldwide. I bet many of you have some in your area.

We have one in our city, they let city employees work out there for free.

If this thread couldnt make me hate my job anymore then I do…Damn Ima loser Sad

I work fora restaurant and aid a handicapped dishwasher..Who by far is the Biggest compliment whore I have seen.

I have many dream ideas I need to act on Im not gettn younger
T-shirt company
Website for games n art

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:I own an operate an Anytime Fitness. It’s a global fitness facility franchise, or simply, a gym. The facility opened 4 months ago. I absolutely love it so far. Being my own boss is amazing. It was releatively cheap to open as well, and brings big money if managed correctly. There is about 2000 of them worldwide. I bet many of you have some in your area.

A good friend of mine opened one up earlier this year, too.

Current job: Graduate Student, Research in electronics manufacturing.
Dream Job: Design and program manufacturing cells.

Wow i feel like a failure..

Current job:I drive a forklift at a cotton processing plant full time.

Dream job:Well i plan on going to school next year for Business..guess we’ll see how that goes.

tak08810 said:Recent graduate with a B.S. in Biology, Psych minor. Currently working as a researcher for the NIH. A temporary thing, it’s actually a post-bac position so I can only stay for two years max.

Hey, we have a collaboration with NCI and I think we do business with most of the other NIH institutes as well. Which one are you at?

I am a student at howard community college in maryland. No way to explain it better haha trying to get my general studies degree.

Current job: Office manager.

Dream job: I left my dreams at uni, I just want to be successful and earn enough to provide for a familg. I tinker with creative writing but never take it seriously.

deStructuralized said:

Numonic said:I’m a Physical Therapist Assistant and in the process (in 3 years) of becoming a Physical Therapist.

small world!

Cool. Hey I think I used to talk to you on AIM several years back when QN5 had the old forum. I think it was you. You’re a huge Louis Logic fan (or at least used to be) right? I think it was you I was talking to.

JTX said:
We have one in our city, they let city employees work out there for free.

That’s nice of them. I don’t honor that same policy haha. I need money too much at this point.

Amen said:
A good friend of mine opened one up earlier this year, too.

Thats awesome. Where is his located? It is an amazing franchise to be apart of. Hopefully his is doing great.

The Trashman said:

tak08810 said:Recent graduate with a B.S. in Biology, Psych minor. Currently working as a researcher for the NIH. A temporary thing, it’s actually a post-bac position so I can only stay for two years max.

Hey, we have a collaboration with NCI and I think we do business with most of the other NIH institutes as well. Which one are you at?

It’s called NCATS right now but it’s undergone a bunch of name changes in last year or so, it used to be called NCGC and then was called NCTT for a bit. I’m located in Rockville actually, not the main campus on Bethesda, which is nice cause we have our own nice little parking lot lol.