close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion What gigs have you been to this year?

Yeah, I’ve seen Common once before, few years ago, supporting Kanye West. He was really good, we were very impressed.

I saw Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash on Saturday, was so much fun! feel like i’m still recovering from all of the dancing. show was almost 6 hours long with maaaaybe a total of 30-minutes worth of breaks. there were cyphers (rapping and breakdancing), and some drunk chick that kept trying to dance on stage which caused Grandmaster Flash to screech the records to a halt—that was hilarious…. really cool to see two legends on the same stage. plus Skratch Bastid who opened things up, he was super good too. Soul Motivators followed him, almost instantly which was good to see (they’re a local funk band). great lineup and great show!

Seeing SBTRKT tonight!

Went to a few electronic and DJ shows while in Japan but outside of that I haven’t really gone to any gigs this year. I plan on trying to go to the Cunninlynguists show on the east coast when they start touring.

Its not realy a gig but iam currently in anfield watching Liverpool play some footy, happy days

I’ll be at Old Trafford on Saturday for the Superleague Grand Final!

I’m gonna see Darius Rucker today! FO FREE!

HOOTIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

If you’re in Oakland, California you should go to the album release party of this band St. Tropez which will be at Leo’s music club. You can get a copy of their new album on CD there. The rest of us will have to wait until October 16th when it’s released digitally.

If you’re in Connecticut you should go to Seez Mics show which will also have Giant Gorilla Dog Thing and The Mizery Crew performing. Dope lineup.

If you’re in Philly go see Mic Lanny.

All shows tonight.

Not really music but I saw Tim & Eric w/ Dr. Steve Brule near Philly on Friday.

These guys are in their zone as weirdos and comedians. Funny as hell.

Run the Jewels tomorrow in Nashville!!!! chyeeaah!

The Trashman said:Not really music but I saw Tim & Eric w/ Dr. Steve Brule near Philly on Friday.

These guys are in their zone as weirdos and comedians. Funny as hell.

Nice!

They’re definitely on my “must-see” list.

I’ve booked tickets to see Mos Def’s Black On Both Sides 15th Anniversary Tour in Bristol. Support from Keith Murray and Afrika Bambaataa.

I’m still tempted to see Common. I’ve seen him once but I’m still thinking of going again.
Also tempted by MOP at the beginning of December then Redman & Method Man the week before Christmas.

Anyone ever heard of Shad? Sometimes goes by Shad K..he’s a Canadian rapper and dude’s got some ridiculous talent. The way he puts words together is phenomenal and if you’re talking technical ability i’d put him with the elites like Tone (though I doubt he can rap as fast.) He does spoken word live and his performances sound just like the audio. He can freestyle too..and he has an interesting back story as he grew up in London but resides in Canada. I suggest catching this guy if you want a good show that will stick with you. I’m unsure of his current touring schedule but go see that..I’d also suggest catching Wax live he demolishes the stages too, usually freaks it with a live band..just two of my suggestions..peace.

Also Redman and Method man are worth seeing as well..you want to talk energy and throwing a show they set the bar for it..some solid MCing abilities that duo has..crazy back and forth i’ve seen them twice in the past..

I’m sure I heard something by Shad a couple of years ago, and found it really interesting; the name rings a bell. Perhaps it was someone on here recommending him? I wouldn’t be surprised.

Did you go to Common in the end, Scott? I was there. Good show but very different in style to when I saw him before.

moto748 said:I’m sure I heard something by Shad a couple of years ago, and found it really interesting; the name rings a bell. Perhaps it was someone on here recommending him? I wouldn’t be surprised.

Did you go to Common in the end, Scott? I was there. Good show but very different in style to when I saw him before.

No didn’t go to this one - heard some good things about it. Next show is the Mos Def one.

Not sure if you’ve heard, but Pharoahe Monch is in Bristol next week (Thursday) with support from RA The Rugged Man

Thanks for the heads-up, Scott!

All in the space of two weeks: Submotion Orchestra, Little Dragon, Pharoahe Monch, RA the Rugged Man, Mos Def and Bonobo.

Holy shit these months are always crazy.

Once again I’ve missed Submotion.

Grrr!

Have a midterm two days after this upcoming show but I can’t miss Ceschi Ramos and Sage Francis and possibly iCON the Mic King perform in Brooklyn, NYC March 12th for Ceschi’s new album release, fully produced by Factor. Plus I’ll probably get an early released copy of Ceschi’s new album there which by the way features those other artists I named. I never go to shows anymore but this one can’t be missed.

this is me upset… just found out Your Old Droog (in Toronto) has been cancelled after the original date in the fall being postponed to next weekend…. that’s two strikes, YOD! two strikes… Sad

Edit: just found out he’s opening for Prhyme instead and I can’t find tickets anywhere… So, I’ve had a ticket to see YOD since the fall and he’ll still be in town and I’m going to miss it: wound salted…

This is not new and I’ve seen it before and always recognized how sick the performance was but this is one of the sickest performances I’ve ever seen. Especially Masta Killa’s verse and going in to INS’ verse . Masta Killa is so crazy animated in here it’s perfect. I’ve seen them perform this song before but never as good as they did on here. It’s the song Duel of the Iron Mic.

It’s the Live show Wu-Tang had back in 2007 at the Montreaux Festival.

Here’s the YouTube link and it starts at 7 minutes in which is crazy because of what the number 7 means.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_49SriNH0

I can’t believe I missed out on seeing Young Planet live. (Cidida kills it here) Here’s a video. The very same energy I was just talking about in the wu-tang video. Sick flows.

https://instagram.com/p/1y8XvBLD-z/?taken-by=cidida

Toro Y Moi rocked the spot last night at Union Transfer in Philly. His new band lineup sounds really good!!!

Saw Oddisee last week and Black Milk 2 weeks ago. Black Milk is touring with a really dope band an his show was very noteworthy. Also going to see Hiatus Kaiyote next week which will be neat.

crylon said:Also going to see Hiatus Kaiyote next week which will be neat.

Seeing them at Roots picnic later this month.

The Trashman said:

Seeing them at Roots picnic later this month.

I’ve always wanted to fly out to that! especially now that The Roots don’t tour anymore.

caught Hiatus Kaiyote in philly this weekend, first show i made it out to since CL and Tone came to Philly in November. they are incredible. the live version of Jekyll is my jam right now

amplifya said:caught Hiatus Kaiyote in philly this weekend, first show i made it out to since CL and Tone came to Philly in November. they are incredible. the live version of Jekyll is my jam right now

Show was really impressive! Sold out and just all around a unique and engaging musical experience. Really happy I went! 11255525_885506611507337_5977908192418485280_n.jpg?oh=76d4b43983bd09dd87fbc65bda8ef7e7&oe=55C188BE&__gda__=1438981729_3a53d014f1ab03eae8675f9b0ff0169a

As for The Roots touring, I think they’re playing at a festival in Manchester (from memory) this summer, so they can’t have stopped completely.