close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Recent purchases

I’ve been playing catch-up on comics the past couple months after being AWOL for a few years.. also picked up all the Walking Dead paperbacks. At least one of these boxes is full of recent purchases, and here’s some of the pricier books for show.

comicsv.jpg

^ Nice, I just got myself a copy of #300 for my last birthday. Love me some Venom, and don’t worry I own the first cameo in #299 as well. McFarlane was killing it in those days! I actually bought a bunch of nice books last year, had to stop cause they were piling up. I got the Deadpool spinoffs - Agent X full run and the Taskmaster miniseries, big fan of UDON art.

What issue of Dark Avengers is that and why is it rare? Also, reading anything current?

The Trashman said:^ Nice, I just got myself a copy of #300 for my last birthday. Love me some Venom, and don’t worry I own the first cameo in #299 as well. McFarlane was killing it in those days! I actually bought a bunch of nice books last year, had to stop cause they were piling up. I got the Deadpool spinoffs - Agent X full run and the Taskmaster miniseries, big fan of UDON art.

What issue of Dark Avengers is that and why is it rare? Also, reading anything current?

Man, I reeeeeally want #300, but I just don’t have $80-120 to spend on a nice copy right now. I’m praying my girl will get it for me one day. haha

It’s Dark Avengers #1, a 1:50 variant that typically goes for $40-50 and I snagged it on eBay for a Buy It Now price of $25. Gotta love eBay.

I’ve had a subscription at a Houston comic shop the last couple months for some current books (Superior Spider-Man, Venom, The Walking Dead, Thunderbolts Vol. 2) right now but I haven’t read anything. I still need a good bit of Amazing Spider-Man 650-700 to buy and read before I’m gonna actually read what’s going on now. I’m a chronological dork.

houstonz said:

Man, I reeeeeally want #300, but I just don’t have $80-120 to spend on a nice copy right now. I’m praying my girl will get it for me one day. haha

It’s Dark Avengers #1, a 1:50 variant that typically goes for $40-50 and I snagged it on eBay for a Buy It Now price of $25. Gotta love eBay.

I’ve had a subscription at a Houston comic shop the last couple months for some current books (Superior Spider-Man, Venom, The Walking Dead, Thunderbolts Vol. 2) right now but I haven’t read anything. I still need a good bit of Amazing Spider-Man 650-700 to buy and read before I’m gonna actually read what’s going on now. I’m a chronological dork.

I got my copy of #300 on ebay around December for $60 plus shipping, I was stoked cause yeah it can be an expensive issue. I actually bought another copy earlier but when the dude was shipping it HE RIPPED THE FREAKING COVER. But I was happy to finally get a nice copy.

So Thunderbolts is awesome; its written by the guy who was writing Deadpool before the ‘NOW!’ thing started and drawn by the guy who drew Preacher. Venom and Deadpool on the same team!??!?! Hell yeah I read that one. I haven’t checked Superior Spider-man, I think Ultimate Spidey is still great though, even over a year after Peter Parker’s death. Unfortunately, I have always read Walking Dead by trade paperback, so I only have issue 100 and a couple variants.

——
Ok so here are my current recommendations to any comic reader:

Saga (Image Comics) written by the dude who did Y the Last Man and great art (the early issues are already $) When the movie comes these will really be $$$ though. This book is one of a kind, check it out you will be all about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_(comic_book) <—- Clicking this doesn’t work for some reason so just copy + paste.

Action Comics (DC is in general better writing (I was a Marvel kid growing up)
Grant Morrison, one of the best comic writers ever, was given the reins to redo Superman in the New 52 mega-relaunch by DC last year. If you don’t know about Grant Morrison, read about what he did to the X-Men when he had his run. His writing is psychedelic or at least out there, for people who stick their noses up at Superman as a boring character. Morrison is the perfect writer to change your mind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Comics#The_New_52

Animal Man (DC) / Swamp Thing (DC)
DC is exploring other genres and these are kinda like their new Weird tales titles, not so much superheroics but still great action.
Written by one of my new favorite writers (Jeff Lemire), Animal Man has been stellar so far. Also the events in the book tie-into Swamp-Thing, which is also an awesome book.

The Goon (Dark Horse Comics)
One of my all-time favorites, the art is soo good and its funny and noiry, the epitome of what I like in my comic books. I just completed my run of Vol. 3, luckily I was only missing the first 2 issues, when the movie comes these will be $$$.

Yeah, I read too many books. Sorry for the length of the post. ha

I’m upset as shit I didn’t grab Saga when it first started in March. Dumb.

The new Hawkeye is fantastic.

I haven’t checked Superior Spider-man

I’m not well-versed in the Spider-man comics lore, but Superior is interesting and frustrating at the same time.

JLee said:I’m upset as shit I didn’t grab Saga when it first started in March. Dumb.

The new Hawkeye is fantastic.

I haven’t checked Superior Spider-man

I’m not well-versed in the Spider-man comics lore, but Superior is interesting and frustrating at the same time.

spoilers

Yeah, I thought they were *really* gonna kill off Peter.. but 1) we’re talking about the Marvel universe, I’m pretty sure everyone has died and been somehow resurrected AT LEAST once and 2) I glimpsed at the last page of the first issue and yeah.. it’s just temporary.

Oh in Superior he is supposed to die? Yeah, they never will kill Peter in the main Marvel universe. Him dying permanently only works in the Ultimate universe.

Miles Morales is actually an excellent Spider-Man though, I must say. I was expecting them to make him stereotypically half hispanic/half black but he’s been characterized really well and is well-liked by almost everyone who’s read the book. Go pick up the “Spider-Men” mini series where main universe Peter Parker gets pulled into the Ultimate universe post-Peter’s death and teams up with Miles. It was excellent overall, but the moment where Peter Parker sees Ultimate universe Gwen Stacy nearly made me shed a tear.

I am well-versed in Spider-man lore so any questions feel free to ask lol. One thing I will say is….there are many clones of Peter Parker.

He died in Amazing leading up to Superior. People are pissed off how Slott handled it all, although I didn’t think it was that bad. How he’s handling the status-quo is frustrating, but he’s also making interesting use of it so I’m split on it until it develops more.

I need to pick up the Ultimate Spider-Man trades at some point since I hear that’s been consistently great.

^Oh yeah that sounds like a consciousness displacement, he will get his body back soon.

I thought it was more insane when Spider-Man made a deal with Mephisto. Never would’ve expected him to be the type of hero to make a pact with the devil.

i always found this shit to be entertaing as i digress from the “recently purchased” theme and focus on death of superheroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

Recent purchase: Skyfall, Seven Psychopaths, and setting aside money for Glutton haah

^ that video is pretty damn great. Chronicle is also great.

Just got a copy of this CD on amazon.

51sgjlR04IL.jpg

^Extremely slept on even in hip-hop circles, imo.

IMAG0720.jpg

+
Tonedeff - polymorph edition
257b09aaa8dda0aa16cc0a7364b244a2.jpg

Is that the FFMF VINYL?! Is it out already?!

Edit: nvm I about had a heart attack. I see its the CD. I remember you saying you got the vinyl, and I haven’t ordered yet. How is that Outrun? I haven’t listened yet

First let me say, I collect comics. I’m not a total nerd who buys toys like Andy from 40 year old Virgin, but I had to purchase these guys when I saw them:
tmnt-figure-group.jpg

They are cheap but well-made. TMNT toys are the only kind I could ever see collecting and these figures are fucking awesome (and surprisingly so is the new show that is on Nickelodeon airing the 1st season as we speak).

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:Is that the FFMF VINYL?! Is it out already?!

Edit: nvm I about had a heart attack. I see its the CD. I remember you saying you got the vinyl, and I haven’t ordered yet. How is that Outrun? I haven’t listened yet

I haven’t finished outrun yet, but I like it so far. Only song I’ve hated is suburbia but that’s only because I don’t like the rapping and the hook on it. I think the FFMF vinyl ships out in april.

^ That’s what’s up I’ll check it out.

625lg.jpg

Just ordered a replacement needle for my cartridge on my turntable… I broke my other one playing a 45. I tried to replay the song… my gf was on top of me so at an awkward angle I tried to restart the side (My table is next to my bed so I can switch records while laying down)... needle slipped.. bounced off the record and crashed on the remaining felt of the slipmat and snapped :’( I haven’t been able to spin anything for a couple weeks… and I got like 10 vinyls in the mail since. Words cannot explain the sorrow I felt when it happened. BUT I put 2 day shipping so I’ll have it by 3/2

I’m ready to spin my new Seasons 12” Very Happy

2zp194g.jpg

AND This awesome Bob Marley limited pressing of “Legend”. The sleeve is 100% hemp and the translucent rasta color is badass!

35jed6g.jpg

I also recently got “Detroit Revolution(s)” and good kid Maad city on wax… and Sloppy seconds vol 1 is in the mail, and the Sadistik bundle (the posters turned out sick, and I just framed them and put them on my wall the other day… I’ll snap a pic of that too

I don’t know how to put pics on here but I recently got Grimm & Southeast Latin sector - Makin a matter worse & ice water slaughter - Life with out fear on cassette. Then got Ill bill - the grimy awards and got my pre order for Polymorph and then I got a pack of gum.

Do babies count as purchases?

IMG_20130304_151720.jpg

+

IMG_20130304_151745.jpg

=

IMAG0775.jpg

2012 chrysler town and country. Never thought I’d be driving a van, but it’s actually really nice. Really easy to get the kids in and out (compared to my honda civic anyways) and it also has two tvs.

I also got wreck it ralph, argo, and game of thrones season 2

IMAG0776.jpg

^^^ congrats dude! I’d say yea it counts as a purchase about 300k until she is 18 (not to be a debbie downer haha)

Congrats on the baby Smile

I also got Game of Thrones S2, great show!

JTX did you have twins?! Congrats man. That van is clean though for real.

Thanks guys. Yea they’re twins, 2 months old now. It was the best day of my life. @2 by four so 600k for both of them? Smile I hope I nail this interview on monday I could use a pay raise.

Haha I thought it was two pictures of the same baby. Congratulations sir !

JTX said:Thanks guys. Yea they’re twins, 2 months old now. It was the best day of my life. @2 by four so 600k for both of them? Smile I hope I nail this interview on monday I could use a pay raise.

haha i thought they were the same baby as well. Congrats! Yea, but they’ll be smart mufuckas and get full scholarships, so no worries.

Congratulations JTX, those are some nice looking babies.

Just purchased this album…

4245453593-1.jpg

My Body Sings Electric - “Changing Color”

Bought a 2nd bookcase

IMAG0888.jpg

^^^It’s just not as impressive after you buying babies.