close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Gettin into Rhymesayers…

So I have listened to most of Rhymesayers artists and some albums, but for the most part slept on the label. So what i’m asking is your top 5 “must-haves” off of their label. Remember… no links! Sorry if I broke any rules.

qn5>errthang

doomtree s/t or false hopes XV, never better, badly broken code, bad time zoo, and Made Like Us.

doomtree =/= rhymesayers, homeslice. lol

I haven’t gotten into Rhymesayers as a label much, just Atmosphere. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a full Brother Ali album.. I checked out an I Self Divine mixtape once but didn’t really feel it. Same with one of Blueprint’s albums. I should probably get a Brother Ali album.

edit: Oh, I like Felt 2 and Grieves & Budo’s new record with Rhymesayers..

Yeah pretty much the same as Houstonz, all of Atmosphere’s work is awesome.

I like Brother Ali, the only album I own and have fully listened to is Us and I really enjoy it. I should check his older stuff, The Truth ( or Truth is here ? I forgot) looks really good to.

Grieves and Budo are two of my favorites artists, definitely worth checking out.

I don’t have to much Rhymesayers stuff but I do have God Loves ugly by Atmosphere and that album is nearly flawless so I’d suggest that.

Anything by Atmosphere is phenomenal. And anyone trying to delve into Brother Ali’s shit should definitely grab The Undisputed Truth. Best album from him by far.

Aphorism said:Anything by Atmosphere is phenomenal. And anyone trying to delve into Brother Ali’s shit should definitely grab The Undisputed Truth. Best album from him by far.

Thaaat’s it, Undisputed Truth. I’ve been wanting to buy this one, I only heard “Take me Home” and “Uncle Sam Goddamn” and they’re both dope.

I think P.O.S is on Rhymesayers label. I highly recommend his album “Never Better”. Amazing lyrics and flow, its definitely a must have and classic in my book

I was never a Brother Ali fan. The only album I remotely liked from him was Shadows on the Sun. I thought I was going to like his most recent album but I didn’t.

Kind of the same thing with Atmosphere. My favorite Atmosphere album is Seven’s Travels.

Numonic said:I was never a Brother Ali fan. The only album I remotely liked from him was Shadows on the Sun. I thought I was going to like his most recent album but I didn’t.

Kind of the same thing with Atmosphere. My favorite Atmosphere album is Seven’s Travels.

FUCK YOU YOUR HATIN.. kidding lol I respect that opinion. Rhymesayers is very different and they have their own sound that lots of people can’t really get with. It all depends on the listener. I do think that lots of their music isn’t really accessible to the average hip hop listener.

Now it’s killing me to find this song featuring Slug that I haven’t heard since the early 2000’s. I got it on a CD somewhere but don’t feel like looking through my CDs especially since I know the CD is not labeled. Discogs ain’t helping.

Give me some detail(s) about the song and I just might now it.

Supahbuldozer said:

Aphorism said:Anything by Atmosphere is phenomenal. And anyone trying to delve into Brother Ali’s shit should definitely grab The Undisputed Truth. Best album from him by far.

Thaaat’s it, Undisputed Truth. I’ve been wanting to buy this one, I only heard “Take me Home” and “Uncle Sam Goddamn” and they’r

The album is pretty sick. “Us” and “Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color” are the two after that and they have their good moments as well, but the Undisputed Truth is where he hit his stride.

houstonz said:Give me some detail(s) about the song and I just might now it.

I have little to no recollection of anything about the song, it’s coming back to me slowly. All i can remember is the color red when I think about the song. I remember really liking the song. I thought it might be a song by The Understudies but I searched and I can’t find a song by them featuring Slug. I know the song was more than likely before 2004 but it wasn’t really old slug stuff. So probably between 2001 to 2004. Oh Slug has the last verse in the song.

Try Insomnia 411 by Roosevelt Franklin ft. Slug and Jean Grae

Yeah that’s it!!! Thanks. I didn’t even have to listen to the song. The name Roosevelt Franklin reminded me. And I guess that red I remember is on the album cover. I forgot Jean Grae was on this.

I still haven’t got into Atmosphere. I’m sure I’ll like ‘em because I know lots of people that praise them… But the penny hasn’t dropped for me yet.

Always liked Brother Ali, but don’t know his material that well. Saw him live a few months ago and he toured with greives/budo. First time I’d heard them and I thought they were pretty cool… Still not checked up on them though.

Yeah co sign Atmosphere…everything they do is good.

But Evidence is pretty dope too,The Weatherman LP and Cats & Dogs are both really good albums.

Numonic said:Kind of the same thing with Atmosphere. My favorite Atmosphere album is Seven’s Travels.

Really? I always thought it was their weakest album.

TexasUnderground1 said:

Numonic said:Kind of the same thing with Atmosphere. My favorite Atmosphere album is Seven’s Travels.

Atmosphere is the same type of group as CL. What I mean by that is every album they make is dope and due to that there is no best album per say. I only own one but I’ve had the time to here most of there stuff and my least favorite Atmosphere album so far is Family Sign. I love it though and it made my top 10 of 2011.

mattthegod said:

TexasUnderground1 said:

Atmosphere is the same type of group as CL. What I mean by that is every album they make is dope and due to that there is no best album per say. I only own one but I’ve had the time to here most of there stuff and my least favorite Atmosphere album so far is Family Sign. I love it though and it made my top 10 of 2011.

Yeah thats pretty much i meant to say..Seven’s Travels is good but just has the least replay value..for me anyways.

TexasUnderground1 said:

mattthegod said:

TexasUnderground1 said:

Yeah thats pretty much i meant to say..Seven’s Travels is good but just has the least replay value..for me anyways.

I’m hoping to see a Deacon the Villain feature on their next album. He sounded so good with slug on Don’t Leave.

Yeah but it’s unlikely..Atmosphere rarely ever have any guest features on their albums.

TexasUnderground1 said:Yeah but it’s unlikely..Atmosphere rarely ever have any guest features on their albums.

True but I can hope.

TexasUnderground1 said:

Well I’m not really a fan of Atmosphere at all. I really don’t even like that album. That’s really just the album I remember giving more of a chance/listen to than any other Atmosphere album but I have given some other Atmosphere albums a fair listen. Ant has some good beats. I just never really got in to Slug’s rapping. At times Slug could be somewhat nice to me especially when story telling but for the most part I’m not really a fan. It has nothing to do with me giving their so called “weakest album” more of a chance than their other albums, I just don’t like Atmosphere.

BUT YOU CAN’T NOT LIKE ATMOSPHERE

*STORMS OUT THE DOOR WITH THE KIDS*

houstonz said:BUT YOU CAN’T NOT LIKE ATMOSPHERE

*STORMS OUT THE DOOR WITH THE KIDS*

I had a friend earlier today who told me on fb that I can’t not like curren$y. I mean curren$y is one of the worst rappers out right now and he sounds like a bitch when he raps. Jet life my nuts. But of course.. this makes me a ‘‘hater’’ LOL. I told him to listen to rhymesayers and qn5 and he said the labels don’t sound “street” enough.

JetLife…or no life,son!

TexasUnderground1 said:JetLife…or no life,son!

I mean its not like I’m gonna say ‘‘BITCH I DON’T LIKE CURREN$Y.. YOU CAN’T EITHER’’ if people like curren$y thats cool fuck my opinion what people think is dope.. thats what they like. I think the only time I ever truly got pissed at someone for an opinion was when they said Jay-Z is a top 5 rapper.. well not mad more irritated that the range of hip hop they listened to probably wasn’t that big. I wouldn’t even put jay in my top 15. An artist with albums like kingdom come watch the throne or the blueprint 2/vol 3 can not be a top 5 rapper.

Don’t assume that just because Jay-Z is someone’s favorite rapper that they only listen to artists with more than 1 million fans. I wouldn’t like it if someone looked at my top 10 list and assumed that I don’t give rappers with more than 10,000 fans a chance because that’s pretty much how my list looks like.

mattthegod said:

TexasUnderground1 said:JetLife…or no life,son!

I mean its not like I’m gonna say ‘‘BITCH I DON’T LIKE CURREN$Y.. YOU CAN’T EITHER’’ if people like curren$y thats cool fuck my opinion what people think is dope.. thats what they like. I think the only time I ever truly got pissed at someone for an opinion was when they said Jay-Z is a top 5 rapper.. well not mad more irritated that the range of hip hop they listened to probably wasn’t that big. I wouldn’t even put jay in my top 15. An artist with albums like kingdom come watch the throne or the blueprint 2/vol 3 can not be a top 5 rapper.

Haha i wasn’t being serious….but seriously though,Curren$y’s pretty dope..imo.