close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Gettin into Rhymesayers…

Numonic said:Don’t assume that just because Jay-Z is someone’s favorite rapper that they only listen to artists with more than 1 million fans. I wouldn’t like it if someone looked at my top 10 list and assumed that I don’t give rappers with more than 10,000 fans a chance because that’s pretty much how my list looks like.

I mean its cool but I feel hes so fucking overrated hes not bad by any means but in the top 5? It’s a stretch and yes Texas I knew you weren’t being serious lol.

mattthegod I’m not saying I disagree with you about Jay-Z. I thought you meant something else by the comment: “that the range of hip hop they listened to probably wasn’t that big.” but now that I think about it you were talking about the range in the aspects of Jay-Z lyrics/music.

Numonic said:mattthegod I’m not saying I disagree with you about Jay-Z. I thought you meant something else by the comment: “that the range of hip hop they listened to probably wasn’t that big.” but now that I think about it you were talking about the range in the aspects of Jay-Z lyrics/music.

I feel like lots of people like Jay-Z for what hes done throughout his career. But when they consider classics credibility (ether by Nas Lowered that significanly) Lyrics substance content etc. I feel people don’t look at that. He’s dope don’t get me wrong but lots of people make him sound like something he’s not. I have every Jay album and I’ve heard all of his work and its safe to say the only classic he’s had is Reasonable Doubt. I love that album but I wouldn’t even consider it a top 15 album. Now I’m not talking about everybody but its just… ok to make terms easier people need to raise their standards a bit when it comes to hip-hop. People throw the word ‘‘classic’’ around with every Jay album and its ridiculous. As far as skill quality and all of that goes, There are so many underground artists that are overlooked that are better than Jay at least to me anyway. Vakill, Tonedeff, Packfm, Elzhi, CL, El-P, Masta Ace, Aesop Rock, Slug, Brother Ali.. theres more but I’m to tired to name them all. I even might say DMX>Jay and thats just based Off X’s first 3 albums. Remember though this is just my taste and my opinion I’m not judging anyone based off their opinions its just people need to raise their standards. And I feel you on the bigger artist being compared to a smaller less known artist theory.. and to that I say Jay isn’t on par with a Nas Andre Biggie Redman Gza Common etc. not even close. I recall when Packfm told me in one of my threads on Hopsin or some shit that People need to raise their standards when it comes to hip hop and I relistened to hopsin and hes dope but I over praised the FUCK out of his new Ill mind 5. He has a nice flow but his variety and content isn’t anything to brag about. Pack was 110% correct. People overpraise everything that comes out that sounds dope because the quality of Hip Hop overall outside of QN5 and rhymesayers and the few artists I mentioned has decreased a bit and when something new thats dope comes out its like a breath of fresh air but it gets more praise than it should. I use Joey Bada$$ as the perfect example.. nothing incredibly special but hes dope and his style is something we haven’t heard in a while.. but 1999 his mixtape got way to much hype and praise. Kanyes album My beautiful dark twisted fantasy is also a great example of that. Sorry for the long ass comment just making a point thats all lol.

mattthegod said:I feel like lots of people like Jay-Z for what hes done throughout his career. But when they consider classics credibility (ether by Nas Lowered that significanly)

lmao a NAS diss record lowers JAY-Z’s credibility?... explain that to me haha

(ps….. takeover….? heard of it?)

Bottom line is if someones favorite 5 rappers are soulja boy, waka flaka, lil wayne, drake, and wiz khalifa and thats what they love and thats what they enjoy… who cares? Music is an art you may walk into a museum and see a painting that you think is amazing and would want it above your fireplace… I may see the same painting and think it looks like a monkey rubbed his own feces on the canvas. Thats what makes the art form of music so badass.

thanks for all the rhymrsayers info everyone btw haha

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:

mattthegod said:I feel like lots of people like Jay-Z for what hes done throughout his career. But when they consider classics credibility (ether by Nas Lowered that significanly)

Not to veer this thread off course too far, but Supa Ugly is by far the best diss from that beef. If anything, that should have lowered Nas’ credibility.

Aesop Rock - Skelethon
BK-One - Radio Do Canibal
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
P.O.S. - Audition
MF DOOM - Mm..Food

Scott A. said:

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:

Not to veer this thread off course too far, but Supa Ugly is by far the best diss from that beef. If anything, that should have lowered Nas’ credibility.

Last time I checked ether was the only track to have a rapper go to hot97 and start sobbing.

Diss tracks don’t lower credibility. Shitty music does.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:

Bottom line is if someones favorite 5 rappers are soulja boy, waka flaka, lil wayne, drake, and wiz khalifa and thats what they love and thats what they enjoy… who cares? Music is an art you may walk into a museum and see a painting that you think is amazing and would want it above your fireplace… I may see the same painting and think it looks like a monkey rubbed his own feces on the canvas. Thats what makes the art form of music so badass.

thanks for all the rhymrsayers info everyone btw haha

I don’t mean credibility commercially I meant street credit. And most people that say takeover is full of facts and ether wasn’t.. thats bs 1 hot album every ten year average is false it was written being meh is false I am had some dope tracks. Facts? those are opinions.. nas spit the hardcore truth on ether and went to jays head.. notice how jay hasn’t made a response track to anyone since then.. then he puts out superugly and he tried to be deep but it didn’t work. Ether basically made Jay afraid to ever diss anyone ever again. I mean jay was on the radio CRYING… thats an automatic win for nas. I mean if jay is crying on the radio after somebody disses him.. at that point its over. Shit people on roc a fella at the time were even saying nas got jay.

Dr_Gonzo said:Diss tracks don’t lower credibility. Shitty music does.

That too.. and Jay has done a lot of that throughout his career.

Yeah! And Psalm One!!

wait, what’s going on?

opinions are like assholes…

I can’t believe Eyedea hasn’t been mentioned. He was by far my favourite on the label. Instead of giving you my 5 favourite albums. 5 favourite Eyedea songs instead (in no particular order)

1. Here For You (released under the name Oliver Hart)
2. Burn Fetish
3. Exhausted Love
4. On This I Stand
5. Even Shadows Have Shadows

Mouse said:I can’t believe Eyedea hasn’t been mentioned. He was by far my favourite on the label. Instead of giving you my 5 favourite albums. 5 favourite Eyedea songs instead (in no particular order)

2. Burn Fetish
3. Exhausted Love
4. On This I Stand

. (co-sign) Eyedea was defiantly one of my favorites from rhymesayers as well.

Mouse said:I can’t believe Eyedea hasn’t been mentioned. He was by far my favourite on the label. Instead of giving you my 5 favourite albums. 5 favourite Eyedea songs instead (in no particular order)

2. Burn Fetish
3. Exhausted Love
4. On This I Stand

The only eyedea I have heard was E&A so I’m familiar with Exhausted Love. I’ve been meaning to get into him more. Does he have a standout album? Or are all of them pretty good? I think I remember reading somewhere that his last release before his death (R.EYE.P.) Face Candy or something was terrible…

Facecandy was a group where Eyedea and kristoff Krane pretty much freestyle with a live Jazz band the whole record, I honestly enjoyed that album when it first came out. Eyedea was also in a rock band Called Carbon Carousel

2. Burn Fetish
3. Exhausted Love
4. On This I Stand

Damn I actually forgot he was in rhymesayers. I feel so ashamed.
Definitely co-sign, the Eyedea and abilites “E&A” album is one of the first underground hip hop I heard and it blew my mind at the time.
I was actually listening to “Glass” yesterday and thought I should relisten to this album.

Burn Fetish is also my one of favourite from By The Throat, along with Smile.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:
The only eyedea I have heard was E&A so I’m familiar with Exhausted Love. I’ve been meaning to get into him more. Does he have a standout album? Or are all of them pretty good? I think I remember reading somewhere that his last release before his death (R.EYE.P.) Face Candy or something was terrible…

I find all Eyedea albums are hit and miss. That’s why I listed songs. If I had to pick one I’d probably go with E&A.

If you’re still getting into rhymesayers there’s a huge sale right now at the fifth element online store.
Most cds for only 5$.

I just bought myself 7 CDs for 45$ including shipping to Canada.

Eyedea was always an amazing lyricist in my eyes. He was the most interesting, unique, & underrated rapper on Rhymesayers.

No order
These are just my personal favorites by eyedea & abilities
(first born)
1. Music music
2. A Murder of memories
3. Void
4. The dive
5. Read wiped in blue *

(E&A)
1. Exhausted love
2. Paradise *
3. One twenty
4. Glass
5. Act right

(By the throat)
1. Hay fever
2. Time flies when you have a gun
3. Burn fetish
4. Smile
5. By the throat

Wow I just listened to Overcast! by Atmosphere for the first time… then I listened to it again… and again… and again. That album is seriously so fuckin good. I’m really pissed off I slept on it for so long. Once I heard the first 30 seconds I was latched in for the entire album. Thats a certified underground classic. Dynospectrum and Comparison are my next two Rhymesayers listens. Overcast! is as good as bought. Hopefully the other two live up to my now high expectations and get purchased too.

1. Brother Ali-Shadows on The Sun
2. Atmosphere- Lucy Ford EP’s
3. Brother Ali- Undisputed truth
4. Atmosphere- God Loves Ugly
5. Atmosphere- When life gives you Lemons

If Aesop had released Labor days on Rhymesayers that would be my #5 but he was still on Def Jux so I cant put him up there. Skelethon was fucking excellent though.

My favorites:
Brother Ali - Shadows on the Sun
Atmosphere - God Loves Ug, Seven’s Travels, You Can Believe
Felt 1&2
MF DOOM - Mm..Food
Soul Position - 8 Million Stories
All the Grieves albums on RS
Jake One - White Van Music
Freeway & Jake One- The Stimulus Package
Aesop - Skelethon

I cant’t even lie I havent listened to either of the Felt albums yet and I need to listen to them as soon as possible.

Damn no love for Overcast? Out of the stuff I’ve listened to off of Rymesayers Shadows on the Sun and Overcast are by far my favorites. E&A would probably be third, and Things Go Better With RJ an AL following that. Although I don’t revist it a lot I do enjoy Together Apart by Grieves as well. There is still A LOT of releases from them I need to listen to. I need to go ahead and finish listening to Atmospheres catalog. The only albums of their’s I’ve listened to is Overcast and When Life Gives You Lemons…

Shadows On the Sun is a top 10 personal favorite hip hop album for me so thats an easy #1 for a Rhymesayers release. Overcast was an incredible debut and I’d probably rank it 4 or 5 on the list if were ranking strictly Atmosphere projects. I love it but because of those Brother Ali projects its not in the top 5 for me. Still fucking love that album though.