close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music in 2013

Yea I know, still a couple months away, but I’m so fucking excited for next year…it has the potential to be the most epic year of my life musically. What are y’all looking forward to? Here are my most anticipated ones as of right now:

Sadistik - Flowers for my father - 2/19/13
Sadistik and emancipator - TBA
Tonedeff - any of the polymer eps
Peter anthony red - hyperrealism
Cunninlynguists - Strange journey vol. 3
Pack fm - Human highlight reel
Natti - Higher enlightenment - possibly february
JJ grey and mofro - TBA - spring
Deltron - Event 2
Kno, anna wise, zoe wick, Dane Ferguson - Built to fade
Emily wells and dan the automator - Pillow Fight - 1/29/13
Kavinsky - Outrun - 2/25/13

SADISTIK AND EMANCIPATOR?! I haven’t heard anything on that at all. What info do you have on that?

I just heard about Gensu Dean and Planet Asia releasing something next year via Mello Music Group

and of course DEATH IS SILENT VINYL!!!!

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:SADISTIK AND EMANCIPATOR?! I haven’t heard anything on that at all. What info do you have on that?

I just heard about Gensu Dean and Planet Asia releasing something next year via Mello Music Group

and of course DEATH IS SILENT VINYL!!!!

Yup definitely coppin that dis vinyl. I think it was from a tweet but sadistik said that the record is definitely happening and that all the writing/production is pretty much done. Then he said that he’s planning on doubling his discography in 2013 so it’s sounding very likely it’ll come out next year.

^ That is awesome news. I love sadistik. He is extremely talented and fills a void in hip hop with gloomy, dark, depressing, whatever type of music. The balancing act is the most similar album to DIS that i’ve heard anyway.

You know I read somewhere that sadistiks putting out an EP before Flowers For My Father produced by someone cool…. And it’s separate from the Emancipator project.

houstonz said:You know I read somewhere that sadistiks putting out an EP before Flowers For My Father produced by someone cool…. And it’s separate from the Emancipator project.

Didn’t know about that one, hopefully kno Smile

JTX said:

houstonz said:You know I read somewhere that sadistiks putting out an EP before Flowers For My Father produced by someone cool…. And it’s separate from the Emancipator project.

Didn’t know about that one, hopefully kno Smile

that would be bananas

ALSO…

S.O.S. posted this on facebook this morning :

Mr. SOS said:“Happy election day! I’d like to take this time to announce my candidacy for President with this NEW SONG produced by Ricky Raw, appropriately titled SWAG, from the forthcoming mixtape SOS For President 3 coming January 21st (Inauguration Day)! ENJOY!!!”

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:

S.O.S. posted this on facebook this morning :

Mr. SOS said:“Happy election day! I’d like to take this time to announce my candidacy for President with this NEW SONG produced by Ricky Raw, appropriately titled SWAG, from the forthcoming mixtape SOS For President 3 coming January 21st (Inauguration Day)! ENJOY!!!”

How’d I miss this? Nice song, although for some reason the quiet-ish beat seems odd to me.

I remember reading somewhere that he was going to be working with BSBD soon, hopefully this is it.

and the Emancipator collab has been confirmed by Emancipator, as well. I think the name of the album is “_____ Cavelight.” I cant remember tho. But this was also mentioned over a year ago.

2013…?!?!?
i’m still waiting for the Uncluded (Aesop Rock & Kimya Dawson) which i thouuuuught was to come out this fall…. and hasn’t. so perhaps that is my 2013 anticipation afterall Wink

has Deltron Event II been moved back?

fromthe603 said:has Deltron Event II been moved back?

They haven’t said anything about it, but I doubt it’s coming out in less than 2 months with no single/promotion.

For the Soul fans on here, Bilal will be releasing a new album entitled “A Love Surreal” on Feb. 12, 2013.

Here’s my anticipation list for 2013 (in no particular order):

Prolyphic - The Working Man - April 30th
Giant Gorilla Dog Thing - Horse. Also whatever “The Nothing” is, dropping 4/1/13.
Cryptic One - Truth: Whole Truth, Half Truth and Lies (this album was supposed to drop in ‘05) - April
Emilio Rojas - No Shame, No Regrets - January (doesn’t look like this will make a January or Feb or March release, hopefully April)
Vakill - Simon Bar Sinister EP
Rise - Cornerstone (this album was supposed to drop in ‘05. It’s mastered and just waiting on the album cover so should be out really soon.)
Tonedeff - Glutton EP and whatever other Polymer EPs drop (Glutton EP: February 26)
Natti - Higher Enlightenment
iCON the Mic King - The Second Win EP
Ceschi “Forgotten Forever” only vinyl album on Cooler than Cucumbers Records also Ceschi EP with Factor on the beats
New Common album ( I liked his last one) - in a recent interview Common says he has an EP, mixtape and album dropping in 2013. The EP will drop in January and it’s based on his upcoming new movie LUV also being released independently in January (doesn’t look like this EP will make a January release, hopefully February).
Killah Priest - The Psychic World of Walter Reed (February 25)
Rare Monk - Sleep/Attack album (February 26)
Mr. Mecca’s album (why is it so quiet about this album, especially since this is QN5?)
Sadistik - Flowers for my Father LP (February 19)
Sage Francis release
Panik - “Eaze Back: Instrumentals Vol. 14” (January 22)
The Skins - Show Me Some Skin album
Emancipator - Dusk to dawn - 1/29/13
@Peace - Girl Songs - 2/14/13
Demigodz - Killmatic - 3/5/13
Bias - Dreamland - 2/14/13
DJ Scientist - Solid Soviet Steel Radio (March 15)
PJ Katz - “Ear Food Volume 1” - April 20

half of those albums are already complete so should get them before the end of 1st quarter of 2013.

I don’t think any of these are dropping in 2013(although I do anticipate them):

Peter anthony red - hyperrealism
Cunninlynguists - Strange journey vol. 3
Pack fm - Human highlight reel

Anybody fuck with CYNE? They’re recording material for a new album, hopefully to be released next year…

Another release I anticipate is the new Louis Logic. Fuck, I love Hip-Hop…

Totally forgot about Mr. Mecca’s album. Add that to my 2013 list.

Yo, Numonic, what is Cryptic One like? I love cryptic lyricism, but not the ones that are basically impenetrable.

I’d liken Cryptic One to Illogic. Cryptic One is not impenetrable like an Aesop Rock but his lyrics are deep and clever. Cryptic One went on hiatus back in 2004-2005 and just returned this year I think. He’s cool. Check out his Anti Mobius Strip Theory album.

Ian Mackaye’s (Fugazi/Minor Threat) new band, The Evens, is dropping a record in a few days.

It’s mellow, but I’m digging it. Can stream it here: http://stereogum.com/1198321/stream-the-evens-the-odds/album-stream/

Kno announced a new album on the podcast named “built to fade”. Not sure if it will come out in 2013 or not but it sounds like it’s gonna be great.

JTX said:Kno, anna wise, zoe wick (I forgot the guy’s name that kno mentioned) - Built to fade

Dane Ferguson.
http://daneferguson.bandcamp.com/

Written, recorded and mixed by Dane Ferguson. Mastered by Kno for APOS Music.

Man, I’m so excited for this project.

Dreamer said:

JTX said:Kno, anna wise, zoe wick (I forgot the guy’s name that kno mentioned) - Built to fade

Dane Ferguson.
http://daneferguson.bandcamp.com/

Man, I’m so excited for this project.

This is definitely gonna be a dope release

JTX said:Kno announced a new album on the podcast named “built to fade”. Not sure if it will come out in 2013 or not but it sounds like it’s gonna be great.

I think Kno said the album was pretty much complete but I’d have to re-listen to the episode to know for sure. But yeah, add this to my hopefully 2013 anticipation list.

Kind of curious/bummed why Kno didn’t mention Natti’s album as an upcoming release.

Also I’m confused about Chico and The Man. I thought it was fully complete and just waiting for the right plan of promotion/distribution but the way Kno talked about it seems like it’s still being worked on. Actually, maybe I misunderstood, maybe it was just Tonedeff’s part that was complete. But enough about CATM. It’ll come out when it comes out.

Kno said on the podcast that the album would be fully produced by him. He has also been part of the writing process on every single song, some more than other.
Sounds like something great to me!

Sadistik announced on Facebook that “Flowers for My Father” will be released Febuary 19th.
Yaaaaaaa!

Some that haven’t been mentioned I am looking forward to….

Freddie Gibbs and Madlib- Cocaine Pinata <—Honestly, probably my most anticipated
Diamond District- March on Washington
Uptown XO- Colour De Grey
yU and Slimkat78- 1978ers
New Cannibal Ox (Although I’m very skeptical since El-P won’t be involved)
Killer Mike- Elegant Elephant
Alchemist and Durag Dynasty (Planet Asia’s group)
ST 2 Lettaz solo that was supposed to be the new G-Side album
The Roots- &TYSYC;
Curren$y- Pilot Talk III

That new Ghostface album with Adrian Young (and RZA as executive) is probably my most anticipated album for 2013. If Ghost can sound like he did on New God Flow, and RZA lets Adrian Young do his thing, we have potential greatness on our hands. Very rare to see a collabo that makes this much sense.

Leo said:That new Ghostface album with Adrian Young (and RZA as executive) is probably my most anticipated album for 2013. If Ghost can sound like he did on New God Flow, and RZA lets Adrian Young do his thing, we have potential greatness on our hands. Very rare to see a collabo that makes this much sense.

I forgot about that one. Yeah, I cant wait for that either. Adrian Young’s music is made for Ghostface