close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Movies in 2013

Just saw the commercial for this movie called The Purge and it’s about the same scenario Louis CK talked about in his last stand up special. The government makes all crimes legal for one night. I believe it was Louis CK that mentioned something like this in his last stand up. Ethan Hawke one of my favorites stars in it. Looks interesting.

Numonic said:Just saw the commercial for this movie called The Purge and it’s about the same scenario Louis CK talked about in his last stand up special. The government makes all crimes legal for one night. I believe it was Louis CK that mentioned something like this in his last stand up. Ethan Hawke one of my favorites stars in it. Looks interesting.

I think you might have confused your memories - Pack and Tone talked about this exact movie on the podcast, so you may have heard it there.

My bad I thought it was Louis C.K. Movie seems interesting though.

Ya’ll really love yourself some Gosling.

Nice dick move dickishly announcing the casting of Quicksilver halfway through production of X-men and days after Joss confirms Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch for Avengers 2, Singer.

Whose ready to see a 4 person main cast mutant movie with 25 extra mutants that don’t speak or do anything or get named make the same commentary about society for the 5th time?!

I’m excited for pacific rim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag

Anyone see star trek yet? I really want to see it but haven’t had the time.

JTX said:
Anyone see star trek yet? I really want to see it but haven’t had the time.

Saw it last night with my Dad and brother, I liked it better than the first movie, my Dad liked the first one better. We all agreed that JJ Abrams is coming into his own as a director.

I really enjoyed the film and thought storywise it was very tight. Spock kicks some ass at the end, and the Sherlock actor who plays Khan was excellent. I did think the females characters were a bit underdeveloped, but overall a minor gripe. There were some good Uhura scenes and Alice Eve who played Carol Marcus was really attractive and did pretty well in her minor role. I am excited to see the next Star Trek movie because I like when they are way out in space, not stopping off at Earth every other scene. Simon Pegg did a good job in the film as well.

7.5/10

Really looking forward to ‘This Is the End’ and ‘Pacific Rim’.

Takashi Miike, one of my favorite directors after 60 features is set to do his ENGLISH debut! The Outsider starring Tom Hardy.
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni55385997/

If you don’t know Miike, check out these films:
13 Assassins (one of my all-time favorite movies)
Sukiyaki Western Django (an all around awesome japanese western)
Ichii the Killer (a 1 of a kind ultra violent film—beware)

JTX said:only-god-forgives-poster.jpg

I haven’t heard anything this movie except how horrible it was

^^^^ yea it got booed at Cannes. Some people really fucking hated saying no plot, nauseating violence, but The Guardian gave it a 5 out of 5. So who knows.

Peeped V/H/S 2 last night. Pretty cool. The film Gareth Evans filmed was fucking awesome (same director as the Raid Redemption). Def cool and unique concepts in the movies. And the use of GoPros were fucking sweet.

The Trashman said:Takashi Miike, one of my favorite directors after 60 features is set to do his ENGLISH debut! The Outsider starring Tom Hardy.

13 assassins is so fucking bad ass (the camera work is amazing i.e. thousand sword/courtyard scene) Sukiyaki Western would have been awesome if they didnt have foreign actors attempting to speak english. Def dope choreaography. Peep The Good the Bad and The Weird (on netflix instant) that is my top 10 with foreign films.

2 by four said:

The Trashman said:Takashi Miike, one of my favorite directors after 60 features is set to do his ENGLISH debut! The Outsider starring Tom Hardy.

13 assassins is so fucking bad ass (the camera work is amazing i.e. thousand sword/courtyard scene) Sukiyaki Western would have been awesome if they didnt have foreign actors attempting to speak english. Def dope choreaography. Peep The Good the Bad and The Weird (on netflix instant) that is my top 10 with foreign films.

The Good the Bad and The Ugly is epic but that’s a Korean movie right? Do some of the actors do both Japanese and Korean films?

^^^ and the Weird haha (the other one is the clint eastwood flick). And yea, korean. Im not sure I know The Weird is a huge star in korea, and the Bad is now becoming an american actor (in the GI joe movies etc).

The latter 2 flicks are japanese.

2 by four said:^^^^ yea it got booed at Cannes. Some people really fucking hated saying no plot, nauseating violence, but The Guardian gave it a 5 out of 5. So who knows.

Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, and Terrence Malick have all been booed at Cannes. Past his prime Kevin Smith has gotten standing ovations, so there’s that. They’re kinda weird there.

JLee said:

2 by four said:^^^^ yea it got booed at Cannes. Some people really fucking hated saying no plot, nauseating violence, but The Guardian gave it a 5 out of 5. So who knows.

Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, and Terrence Malick have all been booed at Cannes. Past his prime Kevin Smith has gotten standing ovations, so there’s that. They’re kinda weird there.

of course. I take most festival critics with with a grain of salt.

JLee said:

Scorsese’s Shutter Island >>>>

psychoanalytical article on only god forgives for those who have seen it

Here

Saw the Worlds End the other night, was pretty disappointed. Easily the weakest of the trilogy. The script isn’t as sharp and the ending is a bit of a mess.

Anyone see the new trailer for “12 years a slave”? Looks great, and I love mcqueen’s first two movies, so I have no doubt it will be amazing. Really looking forward to it.

^^^^ yup. Looks fuckin epic. Fassbender is gonna be an evil son of a bitch.

Epic Aesthetic said:Saw the Worlds End the other night, was pretty disappointed. Easily the weakest of the trilogy. The script isn’t as sharp and the ending is a bit of a mess.

really? that’s a fuckin shame.

Saw 13 Assassins on TV the other day. Enjoyable enough, but I didn’t see much that lifted it out of the norm of samurai flicks.

Gonna rent oblivion, and mud on tuesday. Heard they’re pretty good. I might buy the place beyond the pines. I really enjoyed it, even with the annoying gangster son in the 3rd act.

JTX said:Gonna rent oblivion, and mud on tuesday. Heard they’re pretty good. I might buy the place beyond the pines. I really enjoyed it, even with the annoying gangster son in the 3rd act.

oblivion had me interested until about the second turn in act 2. Mud is dope.

moto748 said:Saw 13 Assassins on TV the other day. Enjoyable enough, but I didn’t see much that lifted it out of the norm of samurai flicks.

cinematography and the director’s style. Cant deny the dopeness of the “sword courtyard” scene.

Anyone seen Pacific Rim yet? Heard the story is a bit shit but the visuals look amazing, considering seeing it at the cinema.

Also excited for Elysium which looks pretty cool, especially as a District 9 fan.

I saw Pacific Rim, it was good. They went for a budget cast but the visuals were top notch. I didn’t really have a problem with the story. Overall it was pretty awesome actually, a better Transformers movie where you could actually see what was happening. The movie was an experience at the IMAX.