close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Movies in 2013

Pacific Rim is one of those movies that is better seen in the cinema. I thought it was a good movie. Re-emphasize everything Trashman said above.

Ben affleck was announced as batman last night. Thoughts?

tumblr_ms09heEAvf1qe4vh2o1_500.jpg

^Daredevil

2/14/2003 Never Forget…..

Yeah that’s weird… idk if I like him as batman… time will tell

I like this manip too…

original.jpg

Mos has been my favorite movie so far this year so I’m really excited they’re moving along with cavill and continuing the mos universe.

Summer movie season is over. What did you like? What did you hate? What are you looking forward to seeing in the coming months.

Pacific Rim was really enjoyable in the IMAX, will have to see how it translates to the smallscreen.

JLee said:Summer movie season is over. What did you like? What did you hate? What are you looking forward to seeing in the coming months.

I didn’t see too many this summer, but from what I saw I loved man of steel, kind of liked world war z and only god forgives, and didn’t like this is the end and kick ass 2. Still need to see star trek, elysium, and pacific rim.

For the rest of the year, I’m looking forward to:

12 years a slave
Gravity
Thor
Wolf of Wall Street

I probably watched too many movies this summer. That tends to happen when you need to get your mind off job applications and interviews.
I’m pretty amazed at how much crap I managed to avoid seeing. From what I remember seeing…

Enjoyed (in no order):
- Iron Man 3
- Pacific Rim
- Furious 6
- This is the End
- The World’s End
- The Conjuring
- You’re Next
- Much Ado About Nothing
- Only God Forgives
- Frances Ha
- Drinking Buddies
- Short Term 12
- The Act of Killing
- A Band Called Death
- Iceberg Slim (shameless CL promo to the wrong crowd)

Seen, not out yet, highly recommended:
- Zero Charisma
- Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton: This is Stones Throw

Didn’t enjoy:
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- Man of Steel

Still want to see: The Kings of Summer, Monsters University, Fruitvale Station, Blue Jasmine, I Declare War, The Heat, Blackfish, The Wolverine, The Spectacular Now, Elysium, Prince Avalance, In a World, Ain’t Them Bodies Saints

Anticipating: Riddick, Don Jon, GRAVITY, Thor, Insdious 2, GRAVITY, 12 Years a Slave, Oldboy (cautiously curious), Her, 47 Ronin, GRAVITY

JLee said:I probably watched too many movies this summer. That tends to happen when you need to get your mind off job applications and interviews.
I’m pretty amazed at how much crap I managed to avoid seeing. From what I remember seeing…

Enjoyed (in no order):
- Iron Man 3
- Pacific Rim
- Furious 6
- This is the End
- The World’s End
- The Conjuring
- You’re Next
- Much Ado About Nothing
- Only God Forgives
- Frances Ha
- Drinking Buddies
- Short Term 12
- The Act of Killing
- A Band Called Death
- Iceberg Slim (shameless CL promo to the wrong crowd)

Seen, not out yet, highly recommended:
- Zero Charisma
- Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton: This is Stones Throw

Didn’t enjoy:
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- Man of Steel

Still want to see: The Kings of Summer, Monsters University, Fruitvale Station, Blue Jasmine, I Declare War, The Heat, Blackfish, The Wolverine, The Spectacular Now, Elysium, Prince Avalance, In a World, Ain’t Them Bodies Saints

Anticipating: Riddick, Don Jon, GRAVITY, Thor, Insdious 2, GRAVITY, 12 Years a Slave, Oldboy (cautiously curious), Her, 47 Ronin, GRAVITY

Gravity is getting great reviews so far. I forgot about the spectacular now. I want to see that, but it’s not playing in my city, and I’m not sure it would be worth a 2 hour drive to see it, so I’ll probably just wait for it to hit redbox.

^^^ I saw a 8ish minute scene from Gravity of the main Satellite crash at Comic Con. Really good 3D (and I hate 3D) and the scene was super intense and impressive. I can’t wait.

Only seen Iron Man 3, Elysium, Worlds End and Star Trek.

None of them blew me away, but Iron Man 3 was probably the most enjoyable from a writing perspective. Elysium was pretty cool visually, but nothing to write home about plot wise.

Still want to see Kick Ass 2 (although no Mathew Vaughn sucks, Hit Girl is starting to look like she’ll be pretty hot when she turns 18). Annoyed I missed Pacific Rim at the cinema, not too bothered about watching Man of Steel on DVD.

OldBoy (also curious, but pessimistic) and Riddick are probably the only things coming up I have my eye on.

Only shit I’m interested in seeing this year is Don Jon.

I’ve been pretty disappointed with all the films I’ve seen this year. Elysium was average as fuck. Kick-Ass 2 was pretty awful (and I dug the first one). Personally, I feel that TV is seriously bodying Hollywood right now, imo.

Fruitvale Station was nothing short of incredible. One of the most powerful movies I have seen in a long time. The Way, Way Back was also really enjoyable. More evidence that Sam Rockwell is one of the most underrated actors working right now

Side note: I cannot believe they are remaking Oldboy. Really unnecessary

Did anyone see Lords of Salem? I am a big ‘Devil’s Rejects’ fan so thinking about checking it out.

Cthulhu4Pres said:The Way, Way Back was also really enjoyable. More evidence that Sam Rockwell is one of the most underrated actors working right now

2nded

QN5 said:Only shit I’m interested in seeing this year is Don Jon.

I’ve been pretty disappointed with all the films I’ve seen this year. Elysium was average as fuck. Kick-Ass 2 was pretty awful (and I dug the first one). Personally, I feel that TV is seriously bodying Hollywood right now, imo.

That’s the most fucking perfect movie for you

I haven’t gone to see a single movie this year. Don Jon might be the first.

I don’t really keep up with movies but I am curious to know if any of you have seen “The Grandmaster” yet? I have yet to see it but I’d like to see how this movie portrays Yip Man.

Apatico said:I don’t really keep up with movies but I am curious to know if any of you have seen “The Grandmaster” yet? I have yet to see it but I’d like to see how this movie portrays Yip Man.

It’s about as accurate as the pro-Chinese propaganda films that the Donnie Yen vehicles were. Not very. It’s also not a martial arts film in the brawler sense. It’s “In the Mood for Love” meets “Ip Man” with a dash of “Ashes of Time”. It’s more about the effects of war, shifts in culture, and relationships than a dude who deals out 50 punches a second.

Be aware that the Weinsteins cut out about 22 minutes for the American release and added voiceovers/title cards in between scenes to explain historical context to the audience. The original cut was 4 hours long before Wong Kar Wai settled on 2 hours and 10 minutes. You can see where the cuts were made. Even the Chinese release feels undercooked in places and I can’t imagine the American version helps by hacking away at it more.

Not a perfect movie, but it’s WKW and worth watching. He’s doesn’t make bad movies.

He sure doesn’t. Especially ones with Maggie Cheung wearing dresses it looks like she’s been poured into. Smile

I seriously haven’t heard of or seen a trailer for a movie that actually enticed me to go see it since The Dark Knight Rises. I was thinking about seeing “This Is The End” but that never happened. I think the fact that movie ticket prices are ridiculous might have something to do with it though..

Don Jon is going to be great.

Saw a test screening of Don Jon last night. I actually thought it was really good

The new captain america trailer is amazing, probably the best marvel trailer I’ve ever seen. Looks so much better than the first avenger.

Winter Soldier!

Xmen: days of future past trailer (with a little PAR essence).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Criterion Collection sale over at Barnes and Noble. 50% off everything until Dec 2nd.

That puts the Zatoichi 27 disc box set at $112 plus any member/non member coupons you can manage to stack on top of it.

Plus, Frances Ha is out next week!!!

Seeing Catching fire in imax next week. Has anyone seen it yet? I’ve been hearing good things.

I saw it in IMAX last Saturday. I thought it was good and continued the story very well. I haven’t read the books so I can’t say how closely they followed the books though.