close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Favorite albums of 2013 so far

We are halfway through 2013, and for me it has been an awesome year for music so far. My top albums of this year already blows my list from last year out of the water, and there are so many dpoe projects that are still set to come out this year.

My favorite album of the year is easily Sadistik’s “Flowers For My Father”
2uh32pt.jpg

Epidemic’s “For Tha Listeners” comes in at #2 for me

2h83jtz.jpg

Here are some of my other favorites of the year in no order:

Ugly Heroes - “Ugly Heroes”
15g5oo6.jpg

Adrian Younge/Apollo Brown & Ghostface Killah Twelve Reasons to Die (both versions)
301omcj.jpg

Run the Jewels - “Run the Jewels”
2rw465w.jpg

Tonedeff - “Glutton EP”
6iwjh0.jpg

Lewis Parker - “The Puzzle Episode Two, The Glass Ceiling”
w01el4.jpg

Kid Tsunami - “The Chase”
35n3sxf.jpg

Czarface - “Czarface”
sy5phd.jpg

First Light - “Fallacy Fantasy”
ibzznc.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

Pillow Fight, Type One Era War Face, The Path of Mastery, Adrian Younge Presents the Delfonics, Hark!, Jackin’ Jill, AMOK and Victim of Love.

I still need to get around to listening to the new James Blake and Daft Punk
What are all of your favorite albums so far?

Updated - 10/3/13

1 - Sadistik - Flowers for my father
2 - Tonedeff - Glutton
3 - Blue sky black death - Glaciers
4 - Natti - Still Motion
5 - Fjer - A new start
6 - JJ Grey & Mofro - This river
7 - Mgmt - Mgmt
8 - Deltron - Event 2

JTX said:Fjer - A new start

I forgot about that one. I never got around to buying the CD and shirt, but today is payday so I’ll go ahead and buy it now. That song A New Start is one of my favorite songs of the year.

I’d been thinking about starting a thread like this….it’s been a bit of a disappointing year for hip-hop, in my opinion.

Hoping the best music is still ahead….here’s a top 10 list. I’m still QQing over Yeezus.

James Blake - Overgrown
A$AP Rocky - Long Live A$AP
Quasimoto - Yessir Whatever
Ghostface - 12 Reasons to Die
Run The Jewels
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Toro y Moi - Anything In Return
Bonobo - The North Borders
Tonedeff - Glutton EP
NORE - Student of the Game
Joey Bada$$ - Summer Knights
Problem & DJ Drama - Separation
Freddie Gibbs - ESGN

‘Twin Hype Back’ is an awesome song. Is Handsome Boy Modeling School making music again?

I think album of the year so far is “Awesome Science” by Humanfly. This album had everything I like about all the other rock albums I liked that dropped this year and more and I would say I enjoy it more than any other album of any other genre of music this year.

Speaking of genres I would say that best rap album of the year so far is “Flowers for my father” by Sadistik. The same way I described how I like Awesome Science compared to other rock albums I like this year is the same way I feel about “Flowers for my father” compared to other rap albums. It has everything I like about all the other rap albums I like and more. My 2nd overall favorite album of the year so far.

I love that multisyllabic rhyming that the group Epidemic does but lyrically nothing they’re saying sticks which makes the album a little boring to me. Sadistik achieved what Epidemic does but does more with clever lines and interesting topics.

I know I can’t post in here without mentioning Tonedeff’s - “Glutton” EP. That album has some dope production and flows but I have to admit I don’t play it much and the reason why I don’t play it much is because of the lyrical content. Nothing lyrically stands out to me on that EP. It’s kind of like the same issue I have with Epidemic. Flows and production are cool but the lyrical content doesn’t really stick with me. I think my favorites from that EP are: Glutton, Centerfold and Sunrise.

Best produced rap album next to Sadistik’s is that “Journeys” album by Frankie Stew & Cuth. I love that album. The production on it is amazing and seems rza/4th disciple-esc. And Frankie Stew kills it with the rhyme schemes and some clever and interesting topics. In the top 5 favorite albums so far for me this year on production alone.

Best instrumental album is going to be hard. I want to say Souleance’s “La beat tape” because it has so much range and solo instrumentalism and is just great all the way through but I love PJ Katz’ “Ear Food Vol.1” because it is so soulful but it does start to fall off on the last quarter of the album. I think best instrumental album is Souleance’s “La beat tape” with honorable mentions of PJ Katz’ “Ear food Vol. 1” and also: Wax Triptych’s “A Tale of 3 heads”, Vin’S da Cuero - “Coloriages Vol. 1”, Trebles & Blues “From my father” and Panik’s - “Eaze Back”. Actually I almost forgot about the “Dreamland” EP by Bias. Dreamland is probably my 2nd favorite instrumental album after Souleance’s “La Beat Tape”.

Okay so let me try to do this. So my top 5 favorite albums so far this year go in this order:

1. Humanfly - “Awesome Science”
2. Sadistik - “Flowers for my father”
3. Souleance - “La Beat Tape”
4. Bias - “Dreamland”
5. Frankie Stew & Cuth - “Journeys” EP

I think every other album I mentioned in here and in the music 2013 thread is pretty much tied at 6th place.

(updated year-end list on page 2)

#1: Sadistik - Flowers For My Father. Released only a year after my father died, this album couldn’t have come at a more fitting time. The end of Petrichor touched me more than any piece ever had before. Production is stellar, and Sadistik further solidifies his and Tonedeff’s supreme reign in the mellow-sad-hip hop genre.

#2: Tonedeff - Glutton. A hard choice, but this EP was really well done. Tone pushed boundaries while sticking to hip hop roots, and this coupled with an astonishing flow and perhaps the most honesty we’ve ever seen from him, it’s a great project.
A quote from Archetype sums it up: “A Tribe fan, an appreciator of classics / but damn if I’m trapped in the past, I act to surpass what they crafted / And still manage to travel the paths on the maps that they draftes”

#3: Kanye West - Yeezus. Already explained what’s to be explained in the music 2013 thread. Amazing production.

#4: Fjer - A New Start. Simply beautiful. Haunting vocals and production, and veyr well-done and cohesive. And hey, she’s Danish, can’t hate! Very Happy

#5: R.A. The Rugged Man - Legends Never Die. I skip a lot of tracks when listening to this, but the great tracks are very, very great. The title track, Bang Boogie, the intro, Still Get Through The Day are dope, and Definition Of A Rap Flow is just hilarious and entertaining.

#6: Kid Cudi - Indicud. I expected this to be contender for AOTY, but it really disappointed. Still, it’s a solid album with great cuts and features. An enjoyable listen.

Been sleeping on a lot of music this year due to my computer crashing (I’m only on the internet through my iPad). Haven’t had the chance to hear Run The Jewels yet, but I expect it to be sick and stroll right in at a top 4 spot.

Can anyone recommend me albums reminiscent of Death Is Silent or FFMF? You know, mellow albums with some fantastic, atmospheric, piano-driven production. I’m not looking for Sage Francis.

Emancipator’s album dropped in january right? Definetely on my list, even though all round I like his other 2 albums more.
Killah Priest surprised me, 41 tracks with only 2 or 3 tracks where I feel the need to skip is an accomplishment.
Prodigy surprised me too, he has not sounded so hungry since the first HNIC. Alchemist production is ridiculous.

Has imo been a good year so far, and still lots to look forward to.

The Trashman said:Hoping the best music is still ahead….

I definitely think that will be the case. I bet Flowers For My Father is the only album up there that stays in the top 5 when the year is done. Polymer, Natti’s solo, Strange Journey vol. 3, Built to Fade, Event II, The Speaker King, BSBD, whatever The Roots come out with… basically what JTX said haha

I’ve been listening to “Random Acess Memories” by Daft Punk, and “Settle” by Disclosure since I’ve made this thread, and they’re both up there for some of my favorites of the year.

If you were a fan of Daft Punks you should definitely check out “Settle”. I found it on a bunch of blogs best of lists so far, and I’d have to agree that its the best dance/summer album of the year so far. It’s just some awesome electronic/house dance music. Great stuff IMO.

Summer Knights and ESGN both sound really promising, but I’ve only heard a handful of tracks of off each album so far.

^Yeah “Settle” is good. I checked it out after watching the review on theneedledrop. I think I’m hooked on Run The Jewels right now though.

Edit: man it gets so tricky putting these in order. I think the only ones i can say for sure are better than the rest are the Sadistik and the Humanfly albums. Those are the two best albums of the year so far.

Magic Trix by Xenia Rubinos is by far my favorite of the year. The songs come from left field, haven’t heard anything like it and can’t stop listening to these brilliant songs. NYer too. Would love a Tone collab! Here’s a cut off the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB4ycH4gZZk

No order

- Bonobo
- Tonedeff
- RA the Rugged
- Demigodz
- Sadistik
- Substantial

Did no one listen to Qwel and Maker???? That’s gotta be on the list.

I’ve heard only good things about that Qwel and Maker, but haven’t listened tot it myself.

Despite some releases that I’m looking forward to and see a fairly good chance of actually dropping for the remainder of the year I doubt that the 2nd half of this year will be better than the first half. The sheer quantity of quality music that was released in the first half of this year was amazing and something I haven’t witnessed in probably a decade.

Favorite rapping this year came from these cats:

Cryptic One, Dezmatic, Dood Computer, Mic Lanny, Tom Scott of @peace, P.Smurf, Sadistik, Dillon & H2O, Killah Priest, Yamin Semali, Celph Titled, Esoteric, inspektah deck, Frankie Stew, Prolyphic (although not as good as his alarm clock stick figure rhymes but whose rhymes are?), illogic.

The Trashman said:I’d been thinking about starting a thread like this….it’s been a bit of a disappointing year for hip-hop, in my opinion.

Hoping the best music is still ahead….here’s a top 10 list. I’m still QQing over Yeezus.

Gotta Disagree with you there mate. IMO, 2013 has been one of the best years for hip hop music releases. At least if you look at it from an underground/semi-mainstream perspective. There have been soooooo many awesome releases this year.

For me so far I would have to say. (In no particular order mind you)
Killmatic- Demigodz
Glutton- Tonedeff
Legends Never Die - R.A. The Ruggedman
Summer Knights- Joey Badass
Binary Star EP-Binary Star
Talib Kweli - Prisoner of Conscious
J. Cole- Born Sinner
Inspetcah Deck- Czarface
Golden Age - Dizzy Wright
460EP - Mak Btchz (just cause)
Jacking Jill - Substantial
Royalty-Childish Gambino
Von Poe VII - Poetic Death
Welcome To Forever - Logic
Apa Y Can -Apache & Canserbero (Venezuelan Hip Hop)

And that’s just from what I’ve Listened to. I haven’t even checked out the Run the Jewels and the new Ghostface album.

Plus we get to look forward to some dope releases by Tonedeff again, Kno, Shad, Lupe Fiasco, and Perhaps even PackFM with the Speaker King.

Shit forgot to mention Constant Energy Struggles by Ces Cru. Just got into the dudes but holy shit they are ill.

^ I downloaded that Dizzy Wright but hadn’t heard it yet until now….very dope.

Yo Apatico that’s a good list. There’s a few on there I haven’t even heard of, and some others I still need to listen to.

Never heard of Dizzy, Von Poe, or Apa Y Can.
Still need to listen to Killmatic, Born Sinner, and Welcome to Forever

Since you listen to hip hop out side of the US you should check out Lewis Parker’s recent LP called The Glass Ceiling. That album is straight coasting under the radar.

ALSO I finally started listening to that Bonobo, and it is amazing. Easy top 10… probably top 5 ATM… Cirrus and Antenna are my two favorite tracks so far. All are good though.

Actually Von Poe is the name of the Album. Poetic Death is the artist. Same with Apache and Canserbero (Spanish hip hop at it’s finest). Definetly Check out Dizzy Wright. I’m not really into funk volume. I think hopsin is dope at times. Swizzz can be nice and jarren benton is just….ehhhhhhh..2edgy4me. Dizzy Wright though is the most promising out of the group though.

Pretty much Run the Jewels is going to get that top spot.

The Trashman said:Pretty much Run the Jewels is going to get that top spot.

That album grew on me so much since it came out. Currently in my top 5. I was looking at this list I made and less than half of them are still in my top 10.

How did you like RAP Music and Cancer 4 Cure from last year? I slept on them for the most part for some reason, but when I revisited them after RTJ I was loving them both (not the quality of RTJ… but still very good IMO)

^ RAP Music and Cancer 4 Cure were dope, but I know others liked RAP Music more than me. Run the Jewels is on another level though.

Still Motion a lock for my top 5.

in no order

glutton
walk in the sun
to dust
run the jewels
falling into place
still motion
the grimy awards
port authority 2

I’m so slow on new music, takes me 6+ months to catch on to stuff.

Checking this album out now and liking it. Drums are mad punchy.

Epic Aesthetic said:

I’m so slow on new music, takes me 6+ months to catch on to stuff.

Checking this album out now and liking it. Drums are mad punchy.

Yeah man, that album is a treat. Don’t feel bad, I still haven’t gotten a chance to hear Legends Never Die, yet I bought MMLP2.

I was about to make a ranked list but after the 6 albums I have at number one it gets foggy and I feel there are so many albums tied at second place that I’m practically listing over 40 albums so what I’m going to do is just list the albums I have at my number 1 spot.

Sadistik - Flowers For My Father
Natti - Still Motion
Fuzz - Fuzz
Eminem - MMLP2
Humanfly - Awesome Science
Reverse Polarities - On The Contrary

These 6 albums are outstanding and excellent/flawless to me.

I hate to pick out one album from the rest of the list but I really think people will like this album. Please stop sleeping on the Agnes Obel - Aventine album.

Numonic said:I love that multisyllabic rhyming that the group Epidemic does but lyrically nothing they’re saying sticks which makes the album a little boring to me.

I know I can’t post in here without mentioning Tonedeff’s - “Glutton” EP. That album has some dope production and flows but I have to admit I don’t play it much and the reason why I don’t play it much is because of the lyrical content. Nothing lyrically stands out to me on that EP. It’s kind of like the same issue I have with Epidemic. Flows and production are cool but the lyrical content doesn’t really stick with me.

Word, I wasn’t saying a goddamn thing on that EP. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let’s not bash someone for not connecting to lyrics. Numonic can have his opinion right?