close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: The Official DEMON [EP] Appreciation Thread ::

blg_td_dmn_cvr.jpg border=0
Tonedeff - Demon (Polymer 2/4) | Artwork: Becky Cloonan | [DOWNLOAD HERE]

QN5 Music is proud to announce the release of Tonedeff’s second installment of 4 stylistically unique EP’s that will be combined to form his forthcoming album, Polymer.

EP #2, entitled Demon, deals with the pressures and side-effects of anxiety, mortality and time-management over self-produced mid-tempo bounce tracks. Demon tackles an overwhelmed life a dazzling variety of tempos, flows genre-nods, such as the endurance-challenging title-track “Demon” in which Tonedeff attacks every 16th note for nearly 2 minutes straight in 6/8-time, tipping his hat at the trappings of modern Trap on “Use Me” and most notably, fans of Tonedeff’s infamous triple-time flow will be delighted as Demon contains the long-awaited recorded version of “Crispy” where he essentially puts Fast Rap in a body-bag for everyone’s benefit.

“I knew I was eventually going to have to give the fans an entire collection of fast raps, but I wanted to apply that stylistic approach to my aesthetic and life-experience to make it have a point,” Tonedeff says of the new release. “Time is my worst enemy, and I’m constantly locked in an epic battle with it to achieve all the things I want to do in this life, before it gets to me first. This record is a testament to that.”

Once again, the symbol-rich artwork for Demon was created by Eisner Award Winning illustrator Becky Cloonan, who will be illustrating the covers for entire Polymer series of EPs. All songs were written and produced by the multi-talented artist with additional vocals on “Demon” handled by Danish singer-songwriter, FJER. Demon is available digitally right now at Tonedeff.com in conjunction with pre-order packages for the final physically collected version of Polymer.

DEMON TRACKLISTING
1. Moment
2. Demon*
3. Crispy (192)
4. Use Me
5. Cinder
All Songs Written & Produced By: Tonedeff

*Additional Vocals By: Fjer

[DOWNLOAD DEMON] [PRE-ORDER POLYMER]

————————————————————————————-

Use me!!

Crispy!

onilink said:Use me!!

Crispy!

I had to sign off to head to work a couple minutes after trapazoyd came on. Did he play another snippet?

“Use me” sounds sooooo good!! Can’t wait!!

Yup, a song called Use Me, which from the snippet he played was all sung.

I got confused when he was talking about crispy. Are they changing the beat for the ep? I hope not, I I really love that printer jam beat.

He said its going to be a remixed version of Crispy

Damn I wish I didn’t have to leave after it was over. How long did it take him to come back on?

Failed to make the livestream, but seeing this topic (even without getting to hear snippets) made my night.

Hope someone was able to record!

theKOSMOS said:“Use me” sounds sooooo good!! Can’t wait!!

Damn it! I didn’t think Tonedeff was going to come back after Trapazoyd took over.

Regarding Demon, these are the details I remember being revealed:

- Currently, it looks like the EP is going to have 4 tracks. A fifth one might be added.
- Guest production on one song; I guess that means the remix of Crispy.
- I am pretty sure he said, that there will be no fully sung track on Demon. Hooks and background harmonizing on several tracks though.

Also, to me it seemed pretty obvious, that Demon is the “fast rapping EP”. But there is more to it, according to Tone. A thematical theme like Glutton had? We will have to wait and see.
He also said that not all the tracks will be insanely fast - Crispy is by far the fastest track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon

The nerd in me can’t help but make a few rudimentary observations and speculations:

0. Polymer is a collection; not an album. We can probably rule out anything excessively conceptual, but all four component EPs are tied together via a common thread.

1. The title of EP #2 parallels that of EP #1. Simple common noun. Connotation of darkness / sin. As Glutton saw Tone personify gluttony and explore its edges, we might assume the same will be done for Demon.

2. In the Abrahamic context, the title of EP #2 represents an escalation from that of EP #1. Gluttons are irresponsible secular sinners at best; demons are straight up malevolent spirits diametrically opposed to God. Beelzebub is the lord demon of gluttony; he is the king, and the glutton is his subject. We might assume that EPs #3 and/or #4 introduce brighter / redemptive personas (for structural balance) or that they continue exploring different dimensions of darkness (for moody Tone).

3a. Unlike monsters that take on a physical form, demons are best known for possessing living victims. You know, making them do things that normal humans couldn’t possibly do on their own. Like fast rap, to build off of Friis’s observation.

(Also, “speed demon,” etc etc.)

3b. Demons are the spirits of cursed giants—crossbred descendants of supernatural powers (i.e. male angels) and human women. Supernatural fast rap, bros.

4. Counterpoint to #2 - Demonism as a concept doesn’t necessarily connote outright “evil.” In Greek, the word “demon” simply means, “happiness.” The biblical book of Jubilees describes demons as agents of God, empowered to perform unholy acts for holy ends (e.g. the slaying of Egypt’s firstborn).

Of course, I know nothing about “Use Me,” so I may be way off base.

Did he say “use me” would be on demon? I remember hearing that he played a snippet on the livestream before glutton that said something along the lines of “I hear music in my head” or something like that…so maybe use me is from a different ep/project.

To answer your 2 questions JTX:

Yes, I am almost 100% positive he said Use Me was on Demon.

They are not changing the beat to Crispy. Mistabishi sped it up (probably the twist Tonedeff previously mentioned about it) and “remixing” it, which I assume is adding drops/slight changes to match the vocals better (along with speeding it up a bit). But the beat that was in the snippet was definitely Printer Jam that he’s been using at shows.

I know Tone mentioned in reference to Crispy that it is him setting the record straight and proving a point (even if that isn’t the full depth of the theme) and alluded that the whole EP would act as “proof” to his capabilities.

It seems like this is going to be a real statement of intent and I can’t wait to find out what the deeper intricacies of it’s theme are.

Since I live in Europe, I missed it. Is there a way to watch the recorded version of it? Did anyone do that? Did Tone record it? Hope so!

I think someone mentioned they would record it. However, I know in the past Tone has asked them to remove the snippets before posting up the video. I think the intention behind that is he doesn’t want a low quality rip of the snippet floating around the internet.

Yup I recorded it. I actually just sent it to Tone and he’ll probably put it on his youtube account like he did with the previous livestream.

But yeah, I had to cut out the snippet and comebacks though… sorry :/

Back to the subject, I’m so stoked about the studio version of crispy !
And yay for September, it’s really not that far away.

Supahbuldozer said:Yup I recorded it. I actually just sent it to Tone and he’ll probably put it on his youtube account like he did with the previous livestream.

But yeah, I had to cut out the snippet and comebacks though… sorry :/

Back to the subject, I’m so stoked about the studio version of crispy !
And yay for September, it’s really not that far away.

lol it’s all good fam, I can wait for the album to hear the songs and the comebacks is something special for those who stuck around. They deserved it

I’m gutted I missed the Livestream.
But 1AM in the UK, with work in the morning is bad idea in middle of week for me.

Hoped it would be archived like the Cunninlynguist’s Livestream was.

Even if the Livestream is uploaded without the snippets, that would still be amazing, but hoped to hear the snippets Sad

Stoked for Polymorph release to come through - impatiently waiting…hahaha

I’m counting on Tone having the lyrics at the ready when this drops like he did for Glutton. I’m definitely going to need those hahaha. Especially for Crispy.

I am really excited to hear that Crispy is gonna be on there, but I’m happy that it’s by far the fastest track. One is enough.

But is it just me who caught that the Tech-Tone-R.A.-Monch track is basically confirmed??? That’s sick as fuck, wow. I wonder who’ll end up bodying it. I bet my money on Tone or R.A.

Well, it’s confirmed as being planned for SJV3. Things happen, so there is a chance it doesn’t happen exactly as planned (which is kinda what Tone said).

The damn video wouldn’t load in youtube last night, but I figured something like this would be announced. Demon huh? Is that a speed demon?

Also, demons are not cursed giant spirits or w.e someone said, they are fallen angels. You are referring to Nephilim, I think.

^
Not that it matters either way, because Tone mentions in the Livestream that it isn’t a terribly biblical record.

But here are my sources.

In Ancient Near Eastern religions as well as in the Abrahamic traditions, including ancient and medieval Christian demonology, a demon is considered an unclean spirit, sometimes a fallen angel, the spirit of a deceased human, or a spirit of unknown type which may cause demonic possession, calling for an exorcism. In Western occultism and Renaissance magic, which grew out of an amalgamation of Greco-Roman magic, Jewish demonology, and Christian tradition,[2] a demon is a spiritual entity that may be conjured and controlled.

In Enoch, Semyaz leads the angels to mate with women. Angels mating with humans is against God’s commands and is a cursed action, resulting in the wrath of God coming upon Earth. Azazel indirectly influences humans to sin by teaching them divine knowledge not meant for humans. Asael brings down the “stolen mysteries” (Enoch 16:3). Asael gives the humans weapons, which they use to kill each other. Humans are also taught other sinful actions such as beautification techniques, alchemy, astrology and how to make medicine (considered forbidden knowledge at the time). Demons originate from the evil spirits of the giants that are cursed by God to wander the earth. These spirits are stated in Enoch to “corrupt, fall, be excited, and fall upon the earth, and cause sorrow” (Enoch 15:11).

jinx8402 said:Well, it’s confirmed as being planned for SJV3. Things happen, so there is a chance it doesn’t happen exactly as planned (which is kinda what Tone said).

I’m going to put my pessimistic hat on and not give my hopes up - but my fingers are firmly crossed. The promising thing I took from what he said was that the beat is done and that they’re actively trying to make it happen. When Kno first mentioned it I thought it was a joke haha

That snippet of Crispy sounded insane! Looking forward to the Megashow. Hopefully we get to hear it.

I’m sure he’ll be doing crispy. Its been a staple in his live shows since the 2009 megashow.

Porsborg said:I am really excited to hear that Crispy is gonna be on there, but I’m happy that it’s by far the fastest track. One is enough.

But is it just me who caught that the Tech-Tone-R.A.-Monch track is basically confirmed??? That’s sick as fuck, wow. I wonder who’ll end up bodying it. I bet my money on Tone or R.A.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that most if not all of those emcees have agreed to give in a verse for it. Tone seemed optimistic about it happening so they are probably just waiting on the verses.

^So by ‘Tech’ do you mean N9ne or Immortal Technique? And this will be on Demon?

Either way that’s fucking epic. Tone and Pharoahe together is enough to sell me, RA is just gravy. I expect they all murder the shit out of the track.

N9ne. This is supposed to be on SJV3. I don’t think there’s any featured artists on Demon.

The Trashman said:^So by ‘Tech’ do you mean N9ne or Immortal Technique? And this will be on Demon?

Either way that’s fucking epic. Tone and Pharoahe together is enough to sell me, RA is just gravy. I expect they all murder the shit out of the track.

Not for Demon - For SJV3. Kno wants to put Tone, Monch, Ra and Tech N9ne on the same beat. It is not done yet though, so it is not 100 % confirmed.
I am actually pretty sure CL played that beat in their livestream. It sounded badass!