close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: The Official DEMON [EP] Appreciation Thread ::

‘Use Me’ is an interesting song to me. I struggle as an easy going bloke with drawing that distinction between when I’m being used and when I’m being abused or misused (“Deciding if I should draw the line at the crossing sign/”).

It really seems like once you get to a certain point of awareness that a majority of the time, people’s intentions are depressingly selfish. So therefore resisting being “used” is pretty pointless, so we might as well appreciate it. Further, we all want to belong so maybe we should be using people too and not thinking twice about it. We wish we could be that way at times (“With no conscious, drive and a darker side/ And still appear half-sane”). Is that wrong? Is embracing the situation when we are being used mean we are just enabling or is that just love? (“Right, I don’t wanna bring your flaws to the light/Cause I’m partly responsible like/ If I ever stumbled in the wake of all your lies”). We do let it get to the point where we are being used, so who are we to raise an issue at that point?

Is it anti-social to tell people to fall back when you see that they are only around you for selfish purposes. Is it our own fault if we aren’t getting equivalent return? Maybe it’s something that each of us have to judge on a case by case basis.

The general feeling that I have and that I’ve heard others say is that being used is a good thing, but I still don’t know for sure. Tone seems to agree that being used is not all bad (“Hit play on this, you can call me tonight/ Abuse me. Use Me”), even though its obvious we are still disappointed when we get used.

Great song, very deep!

^ Awesome analysis man. I love that song so much. So many layers to Demon that gradually get peeled back with each listen.

I feel I have to add to my previous post since listening to this EP over more listens now, and I feel that the more I listen to it, the better it sounds to me. The first SEVERAL listens, I spend just trying to comprehend what I was hearing and as I listen more and more, I find myself just sitting back and enjoying the music for what it is. This is truly masterfully done. I’ve written rap lyrics in my past, and I currently write poetry, and I know first-hand how difficult it is to write to a rhythm with meaningful lyrics and rhymes and rhythms all combined into one seamless piece, and…this is phenomenal. To flow the way it does with the rhymes and rhythms, at that SPEED! Wow. I find myself appreciating it more and more with each listen.

And to answer the question, “Are you not entertained?” Oh hell yes, you better believe I am!

Still digging this.

Loving this thing, really enjoy how this EP starts and ends.

Does anyone have an idea how the time management theme ties in with the ‘Demon’?

I don’t see much that is demonic about the project, so I take the title to be a reference to tone’s “speed demon” raps on the EP.

Who is the demon Tonedeff talks about in Demon? Also, this predominately fast rap EP has me wanting to hear more Tonedeff verses, fast, regular speed, slow flow. He can do it all.

The Trashman said:Loving this thing, really enjoy how this EP starts and ends.

Does anyone have an idea how the time management theme ties in with the ‘Demon’?

I don’t see much that is demonic about the project, so I take the title to be a reference to tone’s “speed demon” raps on the EP.

Who is the demon Tonedeff talks about in Demon? Also, this predominately fast rap EP has me wanting to hear more Tonedeff verses, fast, regular speed, slow flow. He can do it all.

“Time” is the demon. It kills everyone.

I still have Demon in heavy rotation. Easily one of my top-3 releases from 2013.
I’m really itching for the next Polyblog though!

^ Same! Tone’s behind the scenes looks are always mad inspiring.

The 2:47 mark of “Demon” is my shit.

Moment has one of the best flows that I can remember. The way Tone manipulates the syllables to match the rhythm is spectacular. I can’t get enough of that song… or well the whole EP for that matter.

I love you all.

I love the little details on the covers. Becky has done an amazing job so far, really looking forward to seeing her work on eps 3, 4, and the final collection. I really love the use of the speedometer on the demon cover which also resembles a clock.

JTX said:I love the little details on the covers. Becky has done an amazing job so far, really looking forward to seeing her work on eps 3, 4, and the final collection. I really love the use of the speedometer on the demon cover which also resembles a clock.

Yeah, Becky is incredible. I hope there are still t-shirts planned for Demon.

I never noticed the claw in the shadow, nice little touch.

Not sure if it’s been stated yet, but I think a music video for the Demon title track would be amazing and bring the song to a whole new level for people who haven’t taken the time to appreciate how brilliant the narrative is.

I was listening for the umpteenth time while reading the lyric transcription and this time visualized a sequence of scenes starting with a closeup of Tone’s eye opening suddenly (ala Jack from Lost) and rising from bed in a panic to begin his day (V1: A); rapidly brushing teeth, etc. Then he faints from feeling the stress of everything he’s anxious to accomplish and dreams of a court scene with himself at trial (V1: B) with the reaper as the judge, etc. All of this sped up and hectic like an old Busta Rhymes video.

Then for the bridge he’s again laying on his back, this time on the floor, with the camera slowly zooming out from a closeup of his face while he sings, with a spaced-out/hopeless expression on his face, with quick camera cuts to the reaper and spinning clocks, then by the end of the bridge we zoom all the way out to notice he’s in a dark secluded prison cell with flames surrounding it, and then 2:50-3:15 he frantically clutches the bars and tries to escape, finally breaking free by the third verse when he makes his final declaration of intent to never wake up in a panic again or let his fear of time paralyze him from achieving his goals. Finally cut back to the bed as we bring the video full circle, zooming in on the eye as it closes slowly with a sense of acceptance and peace.

I listen to this tracklist of gems front to back nearly every single day on my commute and JUST realized that’s Slick Rick in the background on “Moment”; I’ve been thinking it’s Tone! I’m such a dunce. Anyway, I ♥ this EP.

This is over a year old.

That is TERRIFYING to me.

Epic Aesthetic said:This is over a year old.

That is TERRIFYING to me.

Time is crippling.

I made a weird breakthrough with a bunch of different fast Tonedeff verses the other day.. Normally something like Crispy is too quick for me to actually follow word for word whilst listening. When I want to know what’s being said I read the lyrics and then I only usually hear every third or fourth word which gives me a general idea of what’s being said in the sentence.

But for whatever reason (I may have been inebriated in some capacity) I managed to block everything out and hear every single syllable.. and it made the songs feel 10x faster. It turns listening to the song from a soothing experience to a challenge, but it was pretty fun concentrating so hard. I don’t really have any deeper analysis to provide, but I was just kinda blown away to ‘get’ the full intensity of something that I already thought was fast.

The bridge and vocal/instrumental insanity towards the end of “Demon” is some of my favorite stuff from any Tonedeff song.

Terrible album, don’t know what any of you are on or are pretending to be on. I don’t get it. The entire album makes me want to cry. It’s like when Eminem started doing those stupid fucking accents and people pretended to like it.

WeToYou said:Terrible album, don’t know what any of you are on or are pretending to be on. I don’t get it. The entire album makes me want to cry. It’s like when Eminem started doing those stupid fucking accents and people pretended to like it.

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON’T LIKE.

Seriously, fuck off and go be a dick elsewhere.

WeToYou said:Terrible album

WRONG. Plus it’s an EP.

WeToYou said:don’t know what any of you are on or are pretending to be on.

Not pretending.

WeToYou said:I don’t get it.

CORRECT!

WeToYou said: The entire album makes me want to cry.

This actually makes me happy.

WeToYou said:It’s like when Eminem started doing those stupid fucking accents and people pretended to like it.

It’s not.

Bye!

Not gonna get any more than that.

houstonz said:The bridge and vocal/instrumental insanity towards the end of “Demon” is some of my favorite stuff from any Tonedeff song.

Yeah, for sure. I’m actually really excited to see how this holds together on the final product. Is the end of Demon still going to lead into Crispy? Is it going to connect to something else? The little flairs on the EP are awesome, but taking those and either fucking with them or making them bridge something different will be really cool to hear.

Revision said:Not gonna get any more than that.

houstonz said:The bridge and vocal/instrumental insanity towards the end of “Demon” is some of my favorite stuff from any Tonedeff song.

Yeah, for sure. I’m actually really excited to see how this holds together on the final product. Is the end of Demon still going to lead into Crispy? Is it going to connect to something else? The little flairs on the EP are awesome, but taking those and either fucking with them or making them bridge something different will be really cool to hear.

I know, right!?? I can’t wait to see how the album makes you feel beginning to end.

It’s different with each one, ain’t it. The end of ‘Demon’ (song), which is awesome seems like it could fit anywhere in an album. But, that bit at the end of Competitive Nature seems to me like a great cap to an album…but…it would be crazy to see it integrated into the middle of an album. Either way, the bridge game is going to be on ball for sure.