close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music in 2014

What are you looking forward to? For me:

New Sadistik Lp - Last heard it was slated for summer, but fake four posted that the album is almost finished so hopefully it’ll be sooner. He said he has some surprises in store for an upcoming concert so maybe we’ll have some more info on it then. The sample he posted on instagram sounds bad ass.

Tonedeff - Polymer eps - I’m thinking we’ll get the 3rd ep by summer, and the 4th close to the end of the year. Although I’d love to have hyperrealism this year, which is on the same hype level as catm for me, all I’m expecting from tone are the polymer eps this coming up year.

Broken Bells - After the disco - 1/14/14 - Just saw this, had no idea they announced a new album. I loved their debut, so I definitely can’t wait for this. Listening to the first single “holding on for life” now and it sounds amazing. Not sure how I missed this announcement. Should be a great start to a new year.

Joe Bonamassa - Confirmed album for 2014

I have no idea of anything else coming out in 2014 as of right now. Hoping for maybe a new tool album.

Here’s a list of artist I expect/anticipate releases from in 2014

Thomas Azier (March 10)
My Body Sings Electric (February 25)
Vakill (in the mixing stage so hopefully first quarter 2014)
The Skins
PackFM
Cidida & Eibol (February 10)
Giant Gorilla Dog Thing (March 28th)
Adam Zombie
Ceschi (got Forgotten Forever now January 6th but he also has an album fully produced by Factor that I’m looking forward to)
Cunninlynguists (April 1st, 2014)
Child Actor (1st quarter 2014)
Sadistik - “Ultraviolet” album July 1
Common
Lupe Fiasco
Maulskull
Moon and Pollution - “The Box Borialis” (April)
@Peace (LP dropping March 7th)
Trebles and Blues (February 2014)
Kodiak Fur
Seez Mics (Broken Clock)
Icon the Mic King
Tommy V
Fjer
PJ Katz - Ear Food vol. 2 (January 14, 2014)
Emilio Rojas (even though his last release disappointed, he’s had enough dope releases to deserve another chance)
C-Rayz Walz
Tonedeff
Sage Francis album (June 3, 2014)
Yamin Semali - “Class of MMI” LP
Frankie Stew and Harvey Gunn LP - Morning (May)
Isle of Rhodes - “Affirmation Caravan” EP (February 11)
2econd Class Citizen LP
DJ Scientist & Fulgeance LP
Atoms Fam album - Sands (May 6)
Mic Lanny
Zavala album (dropping in the Fall)
Phantogram LP (February 18)
Godblesscomputers - “Veleno” (April 4th)
Apollo Brown - “Thirty Eight” (April 29th)
Eric Vanderslice - “Everything’s Awesome” (first week of May)
Sleep (of Oldominion) and Maulskull on production - “Oregon Failure album (April 15). I like the 3 tracks I heard so far.
Glen Porter - “The Open Road and The Smell of Blood” (May or June)
PJ Katz - “Ear Food Vol. 3” (July)

JTX said:
New Sadistik Lp - Last heard it was slated for summer, but fake four posted that the album is almost finished

Technically, they only said “new Sadistik”. Didn’t he say something about an EP at some point? Maybe he is releasing one before his next album.

Friis said:

JTX said:
New Sadistik Lp - Last heard it was slated for summer, but fake four posted that the album is almost finished

Technically, they only said “new Sadistik”. Didn’t he say something about an EP at some point? Maybe he is releasing one before his next album.

I believe I remember him specifically calling it his next album on twitter.

^ Fake Four posted something on facebook earlier this month confirming it was a new album.

The Sadistik album and any Tonedeff (or other Qn5) material that drops is easily my most anticipated.

Run the Jewels (Killer Mike & El-P) have confirmed a new album for 2014. No timetable on the release date. Although they have already been working on it supposedly.

Apollo Brown is set to drop a producer album (similar to The Reset) and another full length album teamed up with other(s) both in 2014.

I’m still kinda amped for the Adrian Younge and Souls of Mischeif album “There is Only Now”. That album is set to be released 2/18/14. Although I’m beginning to loose interest because there as been absolutely no new information about the project since it was announced with the album artwork.

I’m also mildly excited about Lord Steppington (Evidence and Alchemist). That album drops 1/21/14.

JTX said:
I believe I remember him specifically calling it his next album on twitter.

He has definitely been tweeting about an album which he hopes to drop next year, but did he mention that it was almost finished? I’ve only seen Fake 4 saying on Facebook that “new Sadistik is almost finished” but I may have missed a tweet. If that’s the case, I stand corrected.

I hope he brings us an update soon, though. He seems to be working on quite a lot of different projects so I might be mixing things up a bit. I am almost curtain that he mentioned working on “an EP with someone cool”. I think that was actually before the release of FFMF. I am pretty sure he is working on an album with Emancipator as well. At the same time, he has also tweeted, that he was writing to beats from Kno and Kid Called Computer. So maybe he is working on two albums simultaneously: one with Emancipator and one with different producers - and one of them will be released next summer?

After The Disco is going to be fucking nuts.

Friis here is a direct quote from Fake Four’s facebook page on November 5th:

Sadistik has nearly completed a new album! Here are some lyrics…from Sadistik:
“Usually the uglier it looks, the better my writing is. Most of my favorite verses look like this.”

(there was also a picture attached of a sheet of paper with Sadistik’s lyrics)

Dope! I actually saw Sadistik posting that photo, but I missed Fake Four’s repost, and therefore also their comment about the album being almost finished. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m looking forward to:

Young Fathers ‘Dead.’ really enjoy Tape One and Tape Two and want to see what they do with a (hopefully much longer) album. want some more eclectic lo-fi fun Wink

Flight Distance ‘Harmony Chlorine’ (?). hope i’m not still waiting for this in 2014, but just saw ‘or early 2014’ added to the ‘late 2013’ release date…. which was previously ‘late 2012/early 2013’.... but i just keep waiting and checking….

other than that, i don’t really know what’s coming out

Also the Freddie Gibbs and Madlib album is slated to drop in february, and I’m really looking forward to that.

Don’t know if they’re releasing anything in the near future, but this seems as good as any a place to say it:

CunninLynguists signing with Ineffable has me inspired at the moment to start a Zion I + Pep Love binge…I LOVED Zion I and liked Pep Love in the early 00’s but haven’t listened to either for years. I haven’t heard any Zion I release after True & Livin…the bits of hyphy/snap/pop scared me off. There’s at least 5 full albums I haven’t heard…seems like a good time to check em out.

I used to think Deep Water Slang was their best, but coming back to them years later, I feel like its Mind Over Matter…might even be one of my favorite hip hop albums ever. Timeless

Really excited for the new Tinariwen album. He’s a phenomenal guitarist & his songs are as hypnotic as they are melancholic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkSX6Kl3ig

amplifya said:I haven’t heard any Zion I release after True & Livin…the bits of hyphy/snap/pop scared me off. There’s at least 5 full albums I haven’t heard…seems like a good time to check em out.

I used to think Deep Water Slang was their best, but coming back to them years later, I feel like its Mind Over Matter…might even be one of my favorite hip hop albums ever. Timeless

I never heard Mind Over Matter. Need to check that first album.

True & Livin and Deep Water Slang 2.0 were dope.

Flockaveli 2

/endthread

Sadistik posted on twitter that he’ll have a new album, ep, and poetry book out in 2014.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmit the broken bells album was pushed back to feb 4th. Loving this live performance of “holding on for life”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPhAq5-Bn7o

Woot! The Fake Four Inc USB with the new Ceschi Forgotten Forever came in today. It contains 6.85 gigs of Fake Four music but I really got it for the new Ceschi album. Transferring it to the computer now because you never know what can happen to it.

Numonic said:Woot! The Fake Four Inc USB with the new Ceschi Forgotten Forever came in today. It contains 6.85 gigs of Fake Four music but I really got it for the new Ceschi album. Transferring it to the computer now because you never know what can happen to it.

Nice. Looking forward to your impressions of the new ceschi album.

JTX said:Sadistik posted on twitter that he’ll have a new album, ep, and poetry book out in 2014.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmit the broken bells album was pushed back to feb 4th. Loving this live performance of “holding on for life”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPhAq5-Bn7o

Broken Bells just dropped the newest single today: http://fashionably-early.com/2014/01/07/broken-bells-disco/

I can’t wait for the album

JTX said:

Numonic said:Woot! The Fake Four Inc USB with the new Ceschi Forgotten Forever came in today. It contains 6.85 gigs of Fake Four music but I really got it for the new Ceschi album. Transferring it to the computer now because you never know what can happen to it.

Nice. Looking forward to your impressions of the new ceschi album.

I’m loving the hell out of this album. I’m not one to do a track by track break down. 3 of the tracks on it: work song, set in stone and love song for the apocalypse were previously released on his Soundcloud and I love those songs and I love the rest of the album too. It’s 15 tracks long. I love this album and Ceschi’s music. Also glad he’s released from jail now.

Also his One Man Band Broke Up vinyl LP was reissued today but in Germany where DJ Scientist is I believebelieve. That is one of my favorite albums ever. Look up DJ Scientist, an outstanding producer. He also goes by the raincoat man. You can hear Hello NY, the song that No NY from the One Man Band album came from on bandcamp: ceschiandtheraincoatman.

Also in other news Sage Francis dropped a video for the song Blue, a song off his latest mixtape which is dope as fuck; the song, video and mixtape I mean.

TrixxIzHere said:

JTX said:Sadistik posted on twitter that he’ll have a new album, ep, and poetry book out in 2014.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmit the broken bells album was pushed back to feb 4th. Loving this live performance of “holding on for life”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPhAq5-Bn7o

Broken Bells just dropped the newest single today: http://fashionably-early.com/2014/01/07/broken-bells-disco/

I can’t wait for the album

HOLY SHIT. WHY HAVE I NOT LISTENED TO BROKEN BELLS BEFORE?!
Thanks to you (and JTX) me and my girlfriend have been listening to their first album NON STOP for the last couple of days. I just bought the 2013 repress on clear vinyl off of discogs. I really liked the single on your blog too Trixx. I think I’m going to pre-order the vinyl of the second album as well.

This is why I love these boards. There’s been so many albums I probably wouldn’t have listened to otherwise that you guys put me on to.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:

TrixxIzHere said:

JTX said:Sadistik posted on twitter that he’ll have a new album, ep, and poetry book out in 2014.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmit the broken bells album was pushed back to feb 4th. Loving this live performance of “holding on for life”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPhAq5-Bn7o

Broken Bells just dropped the newest single today: http://fashionably-early.com/2014/01/07/broken-bells-disco/

I can’t wait for the album

HOLY SHIT. WHY HAVE I NOT LISTENED TO BROKEN BELLS BEFORE?!
Thanks to you (and JTX) me and my girlfriend have been listening to their first album NON STOP for the last couple of days. I just bought the 2013 repress on clear vinyl off of discogs. I really liked the single on your blog too Trixx. I think I’m going to pre-order the vinyl of the second album as well.

This is why I love these boards. There’s been so many albums I probably wouldn’t have listened to otherwise that you guys put me on to.

Dope! Their debut is one of my favorites of this decade. It’s going to be tough for them to match that but this new LP should be great.

^ It’s sooooooo good. I’ve always liked Danger Mouse, but nothing he has done has clicked with me as well as this. Obviously I wasn’t a huge fan of his not knowing about this album haha.

Has anybody seen a deluxe vinyl for “After the Disco”? I’ve done some searching on the web and all I see is a standard pressing. I’d gladly buy that, but if there is a deluxe version available I’d rather pay a little bit more for that.

Glad to hear Common has a new single and album title and concept although I’m not really feeling the beat on that War single but the album concept has me intrigued. I was excited to hear that the new album will be fully produced by No ID as he supplied Common with some incredible beats for the last album and on Resurrection but the beat for the new single is disappointing. Maybe it will grow on me.

Am I the only one wondering why Common and Lupe don’t do more songs together? The beginning news clip of the video for Lupe’s single is the concept of Common’s next album. I think rap wise Common and Lupe’s styles are similar and they both rep Chicago and both had the Kanye connection at some point and yet after all these years I’ve only heard them on one song together. Lupe didn’t even have Common as one of his influences which I found weird. Is there some kind of unspoken beef there or something? I’d like to hear a Common and Lupe collab album.

Ummmm yeah that Freddie Gibbs/Madlib Cocaine Pinata is my most anticipate this year…besides anything CL drops. Also looking forward to the Step Brothers project with Alchemist and Evidence. Also, anything TDE drops, especially Jay Rock bc if he can make an album on the level of his recent features (Money Trees, Lust Demons etc…), then that will be classic….And of course Run the Jewles 2 cuz the first one is a classic in my book, along with RAP Music.

Got this new Rare Monk single “Splice” on repeat.

a1964400377_10.jpg

Rare Monk - Splice

Bandcamp: b3scirecords

Everyone on this board slept on their Sleep/Attack album that dropped last year and I even mentioned them in the 2012 music thread so I’ve been following them for some time but cats will continue to sleep. Oh well, won’t stop me from enjoying and continuing to follow and support them.

Numonic said:Got this new Rare Monk single “Splice” on repeat.

a1964400377_10.jpg

Rare Monk - Splice

Bandcamp: b3scirecords

Everyone on this board slept on their Sleep/Attack album that dropped last year and I even mentioned them in the 2012 music thread so I’ve been following them for some time but cats will continue to sleep. Oh well, won’t stop me from enjoying and continuing to follow and support them.

I’m really liking that splice song, about to pre-order the 7” single now. I’m confused on where to find the sleep/attack album though. I looked on their bandcamp page and the only thing on there is the death by proxy ep.

Rare Monk is cool. I actually listened to Sleep/Attack a good amount of times when you posted it early last year. I somehow have it in my iTunes, but like JTX I can’t seem to find it anywhere online now. I’ve been meaning to buy the vinyl EP “Death by Proxy” from their bandcamp page for awhile now. That one has 4 of the 9 tracks from “Sleep/Attack” on it… I think.

Just checked and that vinyl EP was only $13 with shipping so I went ahead and bought it. That song splice is really nice. Do they have an album dropping in 2014 with that?

Yeah I don’t know why the Sleep/Attack album is no longer on bandcamp. It was a free download. Maybe they ran out of free downloads or something. I have it downloaded. If you want I could email it to you. I found that it is up on Spotify to stream in full. But yeah like ScratchinlikeDJS said the 4 tracks on the EP are on the Sleep/Attack album so you pretty much have half the album with those four tracks which are nice by the way.

ScratchinlikeDJS I didn’t know you listened to their album. I don’t know if they are dropping an album in 2014. I know that they’ve been extremely busy touring last year and are continuing that again this year as far as I can see right now so I doubt they have been recording material for a new album. I’d love a new album from them though.

_____

Dinner is served:

a3168792347_10.jpg

PJ Katz - “Ear Food: Vol. 2”

bandcamp: pjkatz

Instrumental album from one of my favorite producers. This one is a lot better than Vol. 1 but Vol. 1 was nice too except it kind of got weak toward the end. Vol. 2 stays consistently dope throughout.

Also check out this song and video on youtube:

Gajah & Mute Speaker - Kids These Days ft. Ceschi & Tommy V .

I love these getting old perspective songs and I love Ceschi and Tommy V. If you haven’t checked out that Mockingbird album by Tommy V. stop sleeping.

Numonic said:Yeah I don’t know why the Sleep/Attack album is no longer on bandcamp. It was a free download. Maybe they ran out of free downloads or something. I have it downloaded. If you want I could email it to you. I found that it is up on Spotify to stream in full. But yeah like ScratchinlikeDJS said the 4 tracks on the EP are on the Sleep/Attack album so you pretty much have half the album with those four tracks which are nice by the way.

ScratchinlikeDJS I didn’t know you listened to their album. I don’t know if they are dropping an album in 2014. I know that they’ve been extremely busy touring last year and are continuing that again this year as far as I can see right now so I doubt they have been recording material for a new album. I’d love a new album from them though.

_____

Dinner is served:

a3168792347_10.jpg

PJ Katz - “Ear Food: Vol. 2”

bandcamp: pjkatz

Instrumental album from one of my favorite producers. This one is a lot better than Vol. 1 but Vol. 1 was nice too except it kind of got weak toward the end. Vol. 2 stays consistently dope throughout.

Id love to hear the sleep attack album. My email is jelkins254@gmail.com thanks a lot numonic .

Ok I just sent it to you JTX.

——-

Not to take away from that new PJ Katz instrumental album which is one of the best instrumental albums I heard in a long time but this cat Maulskull just dropped a nice instrumental EP.

a2979501353_10.jpg

Maulskull - “Black Winter: Volume 1”

Bandcamp: blackmask

I found out about Maulskull early last year. He released a really dope rap album in 2012. He’s a dope rapper, sick with the multisyllabic rhyme schemes. He’s also a nice producer. I wasn’t expecting this Black Winter release. He’s working on a new rap album which Sadistik is going to be features on.

Here’s the description of this Black Winter release:

Black Winter is an instrumental creation inspired by the many dark moods of the winter months and the sounds, sights and emotions of the frozen world around us. Volume one is also a narrative to a three week period that I remember very well in Valdez, Alaska that brought a blizzard that dumped over ten feet of snow shortly before an earthquake and some of the worst wind I have ever seen…followed by some of the best big mountain snowboarding I have ever experienced. Black winter is upon us. Enjoy. -Maulskull-