close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Movies in 2014

Epic Aesthetic said:The Lego Movie is one of the best films of all time and I will defend that claim valiantly.

I won’t go that far, but goddamn that movie is awesome. Of course it was a cinema full of kids with their parents, but those kids didn’t even understand half of the movie. That blatant not at all subtle social commentary in a lego movie, just genius. I was a little worried about the dutch voice actors, but they only added to it. Overly dramatic voice Batman lmao.

Sin city: A dame to kill for trailer is bad ass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqRRF5y94uE

Good enough to sit through twice it one day and many times more after I download my digital copy. I LOVE VERONICA MARS SO MUCH! and fuck you if you don’t.

veronica-mars-movie-poster.jpg?w=625

I’ve never watched veronica mars before, will get to it at some point. Seeing the new captain america this thursday in austin.

cannot fucking wait for the Raid 2 next weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iz3992JoJ4

2 by four said:cannot fucking wait for the Raid 2 next weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iz3992JoJ4

We would be seeing this if it was up to me, but we’re seeing noah instead Sad , noah looks pretty good though too.

Thought noah was weak as fuck. Grand Budapest was great. Bad words is hysterical. The Raid 2 is fucking… insane. If you saw The Raid, Gareth Evans just exceeded the bar for action movies. Peep that shit asap.

Raid2_hammer-girl_v2.gif

Dammit I can’t wait for Godzilla

tumblr_n3denyzaP51qcctvko1_400.gif
tumblr_n3denyzaP51qcctvko2_500.gif
tumblr_n3denyzaP51qcctvko3_500.gif

New Luc Besson flick “LUCY” has my attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVt32qoyhi0

One of my most anticipated this year. “Boyhood”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0oX0xiwOv8

Interstellar also has a new trailer coming out on the 16th.

Bm97ZaoCUAAltBU.jpg

batman-batmobile.jpg?1399998186

FUCK YES!!!

I’m waiting to see the DC movies after this phase

Under_the_Skin_poster.png
Apparently this came out last year, but I just saw it

Wooooorst fuckin’ movie everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rrrrrrrrrrr

rrrrrr

lol

You guys should check out enemy with jake gylenhaal. Best movie I’ve seen so far this year.

I forgot how powerful Forrest Gump is as a movie.

Pretty much a fantasy with all the stuff he does in his life, still a classic film though. One I hadn’t seen in a long time.

JENNY, NO!

Not exactly new, but I was disturbingly captivated by this..

Z

Epic Aesthetic said:Not exactly new, but I was disturbingly captivated by this..

Z

very creepy movie, but keeps you interested till the end.

I was watching the first teenage mutant ninja turtles movie yesterday and it’s not quite as good as I remember it as a child, lol. Brings back a lot of memories though.

My top 5 so far this year:

1 - Enemy
2 - Godzilla
3 - Captain America: The winter soldier
4 - 22 Jump st.
5 - Edge of tomorrow

Still looking forward to:

Dawn of the planet of the apes - This looks absolutely amazing. I loved the first film and this one is getting really good reviews so far.

Boyhood - Richard linklater coming of age movie that was filmed over a 12 year period. Opens on july 11th, same day as planet of the apes, really looking forward to this one.

The raid 2 - The first one had some amazing fight scenes but was confined to one building. The 2nd one looks to be more open with more of a story. I’m really excited for it, comes out on blu-ray next tuesday.

Chef - Written, directed, and starring Jon Favreau. Looks to be a feel good movie that will leave you starving afterwards. I’ve heard good things about it. Going to try to catch it before it leaves theaters but it will be tough because I’m more interested in seeing apes and boyhood, and I don’t have as much time to go to movies anymore like I used to.

Guardians of the galaxy - This looks bizarre and completely awesome at the same time. I love the 80’s space opera feel from the trailers and I feel like they’re nailing down the comedic tone that I would expect from the movie.

The judge - I really liked the trailer for this one. Looks to be some great performances from Robert downey jr and Robert duvall. Seems to be a nice mix of comedy and family drama, plus I love courtroom drama movies.

The drop - Please go watch this trailer. Phenomenal cast with Tom hardy, James Gandolfini, and Noomi rapace. Same writer that penned Mystic River and Gone baby gone. Looks to be an excellent crime drama film.

Foxcatcher - Channing tatum and Steve Carrell based on the true story of an olympic wrestler, Mark Schultz. Steve Carrell looks strange in the trailer, think JGL in looper. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls in some oscar nominations for this though, looks to be his best performance yet.

Gone girl - David Fincher directed film starring Ben Affleck. It’s fincher, so I’m there day 1 regardless. I haven’t read the book but I heard that the 3rd act is kind of sloppy so they changed it up a little for the movie. I loved the 1st trailer for it, looking forward to another one.

The interview - James Franco and Seth Rogen attempt to assassinate Kim Jong-Un. I wasn’t that big of a fan of this is the end, but I’ll still see this regardless because I loved pineapple express and I still think they can pull off some great comedies together.

Interstellar - Christopher Nolan directed film starring Matthew Mcconaughey about space travel through wormholes. Trailer looked interesting and I enjoy Nolan’s films so I’ll be there opening day for sure. Mcconaughey’s on a hot streak and he seems to be a good fit for a Nolan movie.

Other movies I’ve watched recently:

Heat - I really liked this one. Really good shootout and heist scenes. Pacino’s performance was a little over the top at times but I think he did a good job. I watched thief earlier this year which is another Mann directed film and I could definitely see some similarities between the two, especially with Deniro’s character and the woman he starts dating. Overall I think heat is a better made film than thief; but I prefer thief’s style, cinematography, and its synthesized score by tangerine dream is one of my favorite film scores.

Enemy - I highly recommend this movie. Same director that made prisoners, but a very different movie from that. The ending of this scared the shit out of me. I think this is a top 3 jake gyllenhaal performance, along with zodiac and prisoners. I feel like I need to watch it again to catch everything.

This might be putting my social life on blast, but I can’t remember the last time I went to the movies. Must have been a couple of years.

A few movies over the last couple years almost made me go but then I changed my mind. And no it has nothing to do with the Batman shooting. I just don’t think any movie lately has been worth the trip to the movies, not that it’s a distance, I just really wouldn’t go out of my way to see any of the movies lately.

New superman picture!

q0mkh6i.jpg

Yo JTX, I checked out Enemy last night because of you mentioning it here. Fantastic film. I can’t lie though a lot of it went over my head until I watched this 20 some odd minute rundown on YouTube that put it all into focus. Even though I didnt understand it fully at the end I still really liked it even before the explanation. It was very weird, mysterious, and cerebral. I picked up on a lot of the clues and such throughout the movie but wasn’t sure how it all fit in. After listening to the explanation though that film is nothin short of a masterpiece. I’m anxious to watch it again. I’ll be buying it in the near future. Thanks for the recommendation.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:Yo JTX, I checked out Enemy last night because of you mentioning it here. Fantastic film. I can’t lie though a lot of it went over my head until I watched this 20 some odd minute rundown on YouTube that put it all into focus. Even though I didnt understand it fully at the end I still really liked it even before the explanation. It was very weird, mysterious, and cerebral. I picked up on a lot of the clues and such throughout the movie but wasn’t sure how it all fit in. After listening to the explanation though that film is nothin short of a masterpiece. I’m anxious to watch it again. I’ll be buying it in the near future. Thanks for the recommendation.

Was it the Chris stuckmann video? I watched that too and it tied together a lot of things for me. You should watch his drive video if you enjoyed that movie. I’m going to have to give enemy a rewatch soon as well.

^ Yeah that’s the video I watched… I can’t remember Drive at all even though I watched it… I smoke too much sometimes. I need to re watch that one too.

Enemy was fuckin wild. Def a lot of stuff you gotta pay attention to since it is an experimental film, and because the director did this back to back with Prisoners.

Transformers sucked major donkey gooch.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was fuckin dope. The motion capture will blow your minds. Granted anytime I heard the apes talking I cracked up, but that’s just me.

And for anyone that wants to see an insanely bizarre, but sick, Australian movie from the 70s, watch Wake In Fright. It is on youtube and Netflix. Fuuucked up.

Dawn of the planet of the apes is my 2nd favorite movie this year behind Enemy, with the raid 2 and godzilla behind those. I just watched snowpiercer and I was disappointed with it. Really bad cheesy acting, tonally all over the place, and underwhelming action (although I’m sure any action movie after seeing the raid 2 would seem underwhelming). Every time Mason was on screen it was cringe inducing. I’m about to watch the thing (1982) for the first time, really looking forward to this one.

^^^^^

Dude… The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies… prepare to be blown away. John Carpenter rocked the 80s flicks.

2 by four said:^^^^^

Dude… The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies… prepare to be blown away. John Carpenter rocked the 80s flicks.

Cosign

“Then kill me”. One of my favorite lines from Keith David. The visuals in that are so much better than the stuff today. At least I Iike it better.

Movies seen recently that were enjoyable:
Under The Skin: B+
How To Train Your Dragon 2: C
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: B-
Stories We Tell: A
Band of Brothers: B+

Free one night Redbox DVD or BLU-RAY rental. Exp 7/17

Use promo code FRIENDS today (7/16) or Thursday (7/17) for a free one night DVD or Blu-Ray rental.

It says one use per account, but actually works for 5 rentals per account (separate transactions)

I just got under the skin. Tomorrow I’m thinking grand budapest hotel and joe. Movies I recommend that are at redbox right now:

The raid 2
Her
The secret life of walter mitty

Any fans of the 90s TMNT cartoon? I found a pretty awesome deal today online. The entire collection on 23 DVDs. These came out a few years ago, I had an Amazon preorder in but canceled it figuring I’d get it cheaper used.

They sold out and the price ballooned. However, I think Lions Gate must have found some more and posted them up on their store for the original price!!! They are going for anywhere from 200-700 on places like Amazon/ebay.