close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff Trapazoyd: An Exercise In Parody…

I know this whole TRAPAZOYD thing kinda came outta nowhere, and I’m not sure y’all have poured through this one enough just yet, but I figured I’d shed a little more on this project.

WHEN DID THIS WHOLE THING START?
#Commagang is an idea Pack hatched on the Tacos & Chocolate Milk Podcast. (Seriously, if y’all ain’t listening by now, you are SERIOUSLY fucking up in life - SUBSCRIBE: [ANDROID] [Apple iOS]. So, in essence, this is all just a gigantic inside-joke from the podcast.

Pack basically lampooned everything happening in rap right now, from the 13,000 shitty DatPiff mixtapes that flood your timelines, to the absolute lack of effort put into making anything musically. He wrote & recorded the entire 5-song EP in a day as a character named MAK BTCHZ. The album was called 460 EP, because he was going to spend $4.60 on the recording and production budget (essentially what was in his pocket at the time). Beats were purchased from 99CentBeatz, a site that basically rips off popular radio instrumentals and makes equally derivative variations of them.

We wanted to have a collabo at the end for “Fukkin In Da Club” and I just started writing. I took a poll on my twitter, asking what my trap-rap name should be, and I settled on Trapazoyd - cause that shit is funny.

f4frcj.png

I recorded that quasi-gay verse, where he raps so fast that he accidentally says “I just really wanna fuck another nikkuh” and then continues to attempt a PR-spin claiming “I Aint Gay”.

That was the foundation of it all. So, I’d been wanting to do a Trapazoyd EP since then. We then built #Commagang into the introduction for the final QN5 Megashow in 2013. If you missed it, then you wouldn’t know this (Perhaps I should put this stuff up eventually haha). Much to the confusion of some in attendance, we even performed “Quack Like A Duck” and “Fukkin In Da Club” in character. Fun times.

tumblr_n2xkinBLHZ1twb15ho1_1280.jpg

THE ANTI-TONEDEFF / ANTI-POLYMER
Trapazoyd is sorta like the “anti-tonedeff”. He hates “Dikkshunary Nikkuhs” (ie. anyone that has more than an Jr. High School education). To take it even a step further, the idea of Tetraheathen was to make an anti-Polymer - an ignorant version. A Tetrahedron has 4-faces. My Polymer project has 4 parts (EPs). So, it’s like… what if a REALLY IGNORANT IDIOT had my rhythmic skillset as a rapper and wanted to write the DEEPEST shit he could? It would be Tetraheathen. haha

I tried to focus on the paradoxes of ignorant rap in mainstream america and the hipster press. The most ignorant shit gets stellar reviews from Hipster blogs like Pitchfork and Stereogum (hence the shout on “Billyburg”) and Lena Dunham makes it a point to include the most retarded sounding rap shit whenever there’s a party scene on her show Girls. Y’all remember when that little Mallory chick on MTV’s The Freshmen said she didn’t like Substantial’s “I Know (It’s You)” because she “preferred rap to be vapid”? Well, apparently she was a harbinger of things to come. Anything ignorant and nihilistic is heralded as genius while anything by black artists with even the least bit of density is instantly disregarded in some way shape or form. You could miscontrue it for indirect racism at some point, but that’s neither here nor there. (I do allude to this at 1:49 of Trapazoyd’s video interview). With that said, I wanted to TAKE IT THERE.

Also, to an extent, beyond the parody, it was just a reason to rap for fun without slitting my wrists for a change. Tetraheathen was done in 3 days time - meaning: written, mixed and mastered. That includes everyone’s cameo verses and the like. Which is a huge change from the Tonedeff stuff, that can take anywhere from months to a year for a verse. (Yes, I’m insane). My work has gotten progressively darker over the years, so it was nice just to be able to do something completely silly to switch it up a bit. If anything, Tetraheathen might be an additional piece of Polymer in the same way that The Projectionist was supposed to be. Another facet of what I can do.

BROOOOO, THE BEST BEATS EVER!!
Production wise… it’s more 99 Cent Beats. I picked whatever sounded typical and went to town. The last song “If U Luh Me” was done over an insto that said ‘NEYO’ in the title. I couldn’t resist. The part I love most about this is that these are the most generic beats I could find, and people always say how GOOD THEY SOUND! That’s because we’re conditioned to think the particular style on the radio is what’s supposed to be considered GOOD. God forbid folks try to do something different, eh? lol

There’s alot of little easter-eggs in there for those following super-harder (ie. #FreePopPop and Mak continually counting stuff), but for fear of ruining the jokes, I’ll let y’all pick it apart if you’re so inclined. I was literally in tears when Pack dropped his verse. I had no idea what he was gonna do and it totally got me when he just started counting. If you listen close enough to his adlibs, you can hear him chuckle on one of the “Yeahs!” cause he could see me laughing from the booth window.

Fun Fact: Fjer wrote Kittehs On My Limbz” and basically came up with the entirety of “Wejjie” except my verse. I sent her that beat and she sent me back a finished song. lol

I actually wrote a full on script for a skit that I didn’t get around to doing. I initially wanted to only do 5 songs, but they were happening so fast, I figured ‘fuck it’ and kept going till I lost steam on it. I started with “Hey Selfie Bitch” and then the last thing I wrote was “Billyburg”. I felt it just needed a the stereotypical ‘song bout my hood’ joint everybody has on their albums. The rest of it was just me trying to outdo any semblance of good taste and tact that I had left in me. I tried to say “nikkuh”, “bitch”, “pussy” and “fuck” as much as possible, as well as trendy words like “turnt up” and “chiefin”.

Everyone I knew was totally down with the idea and totally came through with quick cameos in character. Everyone picked their own names except PopPop - which is a name Pack arbitrarily came up with on the 460 EP. LR Blitzkrieg fills that roll nicely. I’d like to continue the joke that he is released from prison before every appearance and immediately arrested again. haha

tumblr_n30v2hsuDM1twb15ho1_1280.jpg

THE CURRENT #COMMAGANG ROSTER IS:
MAK BTCHZ (PackFM)
TRAPAZOYD (Tonedeff)
Z1PZ aka Sleezy D (Deacon The Villain)
TWERK CAMERON (Mike King)
I.S.S.R. (Substantial)
POPPOP (LR Blitzkreig)
DICKZY (Fjer)
AWBREE (Peter Anthony Red)

I sincerely hope y’all got a kick out of the project. Bump this shit out loud and confuse your friends and neighbors. Act like it’s real. This is troll-central. It’s a classic! Better than Illmatic!

Feel free to ask me whatever questions you’d like about the project. The Kickstarter idea is HILARIOUS to me. Hmmmm. In the meantime, throw them commas up, baby. There’s also a blog collecting all-things #commagang releated @: COMMAGANG.COM

COME AGAIN COMMAGANG!!!
- Tone

Someone needs to create a comma gang name generator. I love this parody stuff.

Awesome breakdown!

You can tell from every drip of this project that you guys had fun making it. I absolutely loved all of the cameos, Deac/Pack/Icon/Stan especially - both their lyrics and delivery were absolutely spot on. Commagang album kickstarter is a must, especially seeing as you could probably smash it out over a weekend.

I think from personal experience being a perfectionist can be quite a burden, so it’s cool to see you vent your creativity spontaneously.. whether that’s a weekly podcast of unedited conversations or a 3 day trap-rap album. Not everything you do has to take 10 years haha

Epic Aesthetic said:I think from personal experience being a perfectionist can be quite a burden, so it’s cool to see you vent your creativity spontaneously.. whether that’s a weekly podcast of unedited conversations or a 3 day trap-rap album. Not everything you do has to take 10 years haha

BINGO!

yup… tonights the night I’m finally going to listen to this. Me and my girl are gunna get turnt UP.

Thanks for the insight again Tone. I love how you do that for the fans. You da man!

Nothing better than bumping WEJJIE at a stoplight!

That Spinnin’ sample doe. Really though, I think I like this project a little too much. I need to revisit the 460 EP.

Random: I’m having flashbacks of Dave walking around NYC yelling “COME AGAIN COMMAGANG” after the 2013 Megashow (or was it the day after?) at like.. 3AM. *tear* (I ain’t gay tho)

I’ve listened 460 again the other day, it’s enjoyable, but not to this level Wink

A lot of great musicians/bands will do ridiculous side projects just to blow off steam and refresh. Trapazoyd is a genius way to do this, and you guys are hilarious with it.

The only thing that scares me is that Tone’s alter egos are going to turn into an Inception deal. Tonedeff a.k.a. Trapazoyd a.k.a Peter Anthony Red a.k.a Awbree. You’ve gone in too deep!

ThatLoudKid said:The only thing that scares me is that Tone’s alter egos are going to turn into an Inception deal. Tonedeff a.k.a. Trapazoyd a.k.a Peter Anthony Red a.k.a Awbree. You’ve gone in too deep!

We warned y’all that it was gonna get hectic. All that means for you is: MORE TONEDEFF MUSIC!! Smile

I literally busted out laughing at the “free PopPop….oh shit, that worked!” the first time listening to the album. Good thing I was in between sets, because that would have hurt.

A great read Tone.

As someone said in the other thread, you could take Trapazoyd/COMMAGANG so much further at this point. Look at how well it performed on Bandcamp. It’s a perfectly marketable gimmick.

HEY MAN I don’t think Trapazoyd would appreciate you calling his product a joke

(I heard he can’t read though so it’s ok you’re safe)

I heard Kno was gonna scrap CATM and do a project with Trapazoyd instead.

houstonz said:I heard Kno was gonna scrap CATM and do a project with Trapazoyd instead.

If only we were so lucky. What would they name it?

^CATAG

Chico And Trapazyod Ain’t Gay

I actually enjoyed this project a lot as comedy is my one of my biggest passions next to Martial Arts and Hip Hop music. I have this long analytic break down of Trapazyod, the state of hip hop, and the place his music serves in it that I might do later on (which means whenever I’m not being lazy, I’ll do it)

I feel as though Hip Hop music has reached to the point where it has become so watered down, so over the top, and so idiotic that trolling with hip hop is a much more valid way of achieving authenticity among “hip hop heads” and 2deep4You hipster bloggers, than making hip hop that truly expresses yourself as a person.

If trolling the living fuck out of dumbass with Trapazyod’s music is what it takes to make people appreciate the hardwork, dedication, and passion Tonedeff puts in his music, then by all means, I’m willing to troll the shit out of everyone with it.

Keep up the good work Tone!

I know Trapazyod can’t read so I’ll do a quick summary for him so you can read it to him and let him understand how I feel.

“Trap! mak dat hipsta $ nikkuh! Sow dem dat u ain’t gay n dat dis hip hop shit iz in yo handz nikkuh!!! Us Reel nikkuhz got yo back n we gon keep poppin yo shit out in dem streetz so dat otha reel nikkuhz wil be like ‘O SHIT! Itz dat nikkuh Trapazyod! He be bout dat reel life n he don’t be fuking wit dem big wordz n shit’ Kep it reel mah nikkuh! #commagang #TrapAintGay #FreePoPPoP”

so a Tonedeff alter-ego creates and plays a character that makes a cameo appearance on album by a Tonedeff pseudonym. Shit is Fucked Smile

ash said:so a Tonedeff alter-ego creates and plays a character that makes a cameo appearance on album by a Tonedeff pseudonym. Shit is Fucked Smile

Inception.

HDC said:I’ve listened 460 again the other day, it’s enjoyable, but not to this level Wink

460 was recorded in 4hours and 60 minutes

PackFM said:

HDC said:I’ve listened 460 again the other day, it’s enjoyable, but not to this level Wink

460 was recorded in 4hours and 60 minutes

And Mak is busy counting money, he doesn’t have the time Trapazoyd does to spend DAYS on an album.

Mystikal would be a good guest for the comma gang album, let’s kickstart this bitch.

Comma Gang album is a must.

TrixxIzHere said:Comma Gang album is a must.

Comma series

JTX said:

Comma series

Even better

JTX said:

Comma series

Album title: No Run On Sentences.

Okay that was a fail.

Actually the album should just be called “Splice”

Okay another fail.

They should just name it “Come Again”

“Happy Duck You Songs”

“Will Trap for Food”

... Yeah I’m not good at this.

Fuckin love it haha.

Not to start a discussion about other music in this thread but any of you guys remember or ever heard of Knuck Feast? Kind of in the same vein as the idea behind Comma Gang. It was a fake four inc thing. Icon the Mic King was also involved in that. I stumbled upon it some years ago not knowing anything about it and thinking that they must have labeled the music wrong with the topics they were rapping about. Lol.