close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Youtube to block Indie artists vids who don’t join its paid streaming service

As YouTube prepares to roll out an ad-free streaming music service, the Financial Times is reporting that it will block videos from indie artists who don’t sign up for this new offering. According to the story, YouTube has signed deals with the major labels, and is explicitly threatening to block artists from using the entire YouTube platform, free or paid, if they do not agree to the terms of the new streaming service.

The FT quotes Robert Kyncl, YouTube’s head of content and business operations, confirming that the service plans to block videos from any artists or labels who have not signed on to its new paid service, “to ensure that all content on the platform is governed by its new contractual terms.”

This is the beginning of the end of the open web, it was really fun while it lasted.

this is fucking lame.

do you have any info on the terms for an indie arist to continue using the service?

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:this is fucking lame.

do you have any info on the terms for an indie arist to continue using the service?

Na, but I read that videos from artists like adele and the xx will be blocked within days because their labels didn’t agree to the new terms of service or refused to pay to be a part of the new streaming service. I would imagine QN5 videos will be pulled down as well? Where are we going to watch the polymer videos? Vimeo?

Is there anyway to rip avideo from youtube? there are so many videos out there i want access too

JTX said:
I would imagine QN5 videos will be pulled down as well?

I guess it would based on who QN5 is using for distribution, and if they have a deal with Google’s streaming, no?

Is vimeo open and free?

This seems a little too shitty to be true, no?

this cant be real