close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

QN5 Discussion IT AIN’T OVER - QN5 BLUE SCHOOL RALLY (Comeback & Beyond)

It’s time to stop being all talk and start some action.

Let’s all present missions.

Here’s mission #1 (Try to check all these off)
- I will post the record onto my wall
- Share it with at least 5 friends who are unaware of the record
- Show love for the record on the 2dopeboyz.com comment section
- Tweet one of the songs to an artist, example (Hunter or Competitive Nature to Eminem or Kendrick would be fitting)
- Get one of the songs on The Hype Machine (I’m so sorry, haha I said hypebeast in an earlier post.)

Once you’ve checked off all things on the list, you’ve done your part. Collectively this should suffice for just the first mission. Blue School, assemble!
-

Will get to it. What’s this Hypebeast though?

On top of it.

I just tweeted Myke C Town about it and he said he’s excited to check it out. DEHH needs to review Polymer.

Great post Kags. I don’t really use twitter and I don’t know what Hypebeast is.. but the rest are checked!

Working my way down the list… Finding five people will be the most difficult for my loner ass haha

Can you explain hype beast for those of us who are unaware how it works please?

I get so jaded trying to promote music. I remember when I was taking this death course in school a couple years ago, a class about death mind you, I decided to email the class the bandcamp link to the Death Is Silent album and not one person responded to it.

Hey team,

I edited my initial post because I said Hypebeast instead of The Hype Machine. My bads heh. I think another good goal would be to get “Hunter” onto “The Needle Drop” YouTube channel that does album reviews.

Yeah, I mean I still post stuff to FB and send things to people specifically.. But I’m fully aware none of my network gives a fuck about what I think or have to say about music (and I know this isn’t just me, it’s this new generation where nobody cares about anything meaningful.. Just cat videos and buzzfeed articles).

I just hope that the occasional person has a moment of curiosity and gets hooked.

Word, Epic. I’m planning on writing a tl;dr on Hunter today and tagging specific folks to check it out. I’m expecting very little in terms of response, but…hey, we gotta try right!

Just looked up what tl;dr means “too long didn’t read, but I still don’t get how or why you would write one. Isn’t it a bad thing? I don’t get it.

^ I think he was being sarcastic Numonic.

Even if you do all of those things on the list and only one person listens it’s a success in my book. Every little bit helps fellas!

The needle drop is a good idea… but he can be fuckin brutal when he doesn’t like something… that’s the only downside… and he has weird taste IMO… either way exposure is exposure! I think tweeting review sites is a good idea. I’ve hit up some facebook and instagram pages that I personally like that post new music all the time. Hopefully some of them will take the bite and share it with their followers.

“tl;dr” originated on forums as a sarcastic reply to long, serious posts.

Posters eventually caught on and started pre-empting those responses. For example, someone who writes a lot might add “tl;dr - [post summary]” under their post.

Nowadays I mostly hear it used to non-pejoratively describe long posts, irrespective of that post’s quality or content. “He tl;dr-ed,” for example.

TL;DR: I just meant I was going to write, like ten sentences—which, given the attention span of most kids these days, is still probably gonna get glossed over.

Numonic said:Just looked up what tl;dr means “too long didn’t read, but I still don’t get how or why you would write one. Isn’t it a bad thing? I don’t get it.

I guess it depends on the context you use it, but from my experience it’s often in a smug or sarcastic manner that aims to condescend someone for posting a long written post on the internet. Destruc is obviously using the term to comment on how people probably won’t care about his long emotional post despite what it means to him.

Personally, and this isn’t aimed at anyone in particular (because I’ve seen it used a lot on these forums past and present), I fucking hate the term. It’s symbolic of the decline in articulate discussion on the internet. If it’s longer than a sentence, then people are too busy to take notice - and we’ll eventually bypass language altogether and just be a series of robots posting “Like” icons.

^ I like this post.

Very Happy

Here’s my post.

Suggestion: when you post the record on your wall, make the post PUBLIC, and then post the permalink here. That way we can all LIKE-BOMB each others’ posts = better for exposure. Agreed?

With that said, help me get more views on this sucker: http://on.fb.me/1usV9IQ

To get it on The Needle Drop we should plan to all comment on the next video he puts a review on. So next time he reviews an album, let’s all comment on the same one. He usually asks “What should I review next?” and bases it off what fans want on the comment section.

^ Sounds good… I’m in. Maybe in addition to everyone commenting we can have one comment in particular that everyone goes and likes that way it gets shot up to the top.

Sounds good to me. I’ve actually give back and watched a number of Anthony Fontano’s reviews recently.

Anthony reviewed SJV3 and even mentioned Tone in it, so that’s a pretty feasible goal.

Greetings folks. This is really great to see everyone coming together to support.
There are alot of great suggestions on here (Thanks Kags!).

Here’s Our 2 Cents:

Tagging Friends - This is the BEST strategy for sharing items socially - but not just tagging… Tagging with a personal point EXACTLY how Destructuralized did it. People need to feel love, so give em a little love and hit em with something that appeals to their tastes. Don’t expect them to listen to an entire EP… hit em with a song you think THEY’LL like and tell em why in the tag. Just look at how he did it and see how effective it was. (Thanks fam!)

deStructuralized said:^ I like this post.

Suggestion: when you post the record on your wall, make the post PUBLIC, and then post the permalink here. That way we can all LIKE-BOMB each others’ posts = better for exposure. Agreed?

With that said, help me get more views on this sucker: http://on.fb.me/1usV9IQ

Blog Features (HipHopDX & 2DopeBoyz) - It’s SUUUPER important that you share and COMMENT on their posts when they feature QN5 stuff. They exist off web-traffic. So, our advice is to register with those sites and whenever our stuff comes up, you’re already signed in and it’ll take 2 seconds to post something. The more run we get there, the more they’ll feature us.

TheNeedleDrop - That’s something I’d like to push when the full album is out. I don’t think him reviewing one EP will provide enough context for what he’s hearing, especially with each being so different from each other.

Tweeting @ Artists - Believe it or not, this actually works - but only as a fan. Do it in a respectful way, and you’d be amazed who tweets you back. At the very least, it creates awareness on the part of the artist - Like the time Tech N9ne finally heard “Velocity” last year cause a fan tweeted a collabo request.

DIRECT MESSAGE Your Friends YouTube Videos - People are more likely to click on a YouTube video than a soundcloud link - especially if it’s in their email or DM. If you send your friend a DIRECT MESSAGE, saying “Hey ________, I think you’ll dig this” (Akin to Destructuralized’s Tagging Method), they’ll definitely pay attention to it. It shows a nifty thumbnail and everything. Putting stuff on your way is cool, but NOTHING is more effective than a personal message/email. We even made full album and individual graphic videos for each song @: http://youtube.com/tonedeff

Vine/Instagram/Tumblr - Sharing things you like is always helpful on these socials. But don’t just post something out of conext - write something meaningful (even if it’s quick) about it. Otherwise, it’s just a picture or a link. If you’re a Viner or IGer, use the music as background music for something interesting. Always ask yourself… would I click this thumbnail?

——————————————————————-

That’s it for now. Feel free to toss along more suggestions here.

I submitted an ‘article idea’ to VICE ( http://www.vice.com/pages/about ) recommending they do a story on Tone / QN5. Something like this would be really good exposure I think. If anyone else wants to do the same - you can email editor@vice.com

” Idea Submissions

Please be advised that all unsolicited editorial pitches and submissions should be routed through editor@vice.com or, in the case of photography submissions, through photoeditor@vice.com . Unfortunately, due to the high volume of submissions, VICE editorial is unable to respond to each one individually. It is not advisable to email unsolicited pitches to VICE editors directly, and doing so is a good way to ensure your email address ends up marked as spam. Please allow 90 days for your submission to be received and reviewed. If at the end of 90 days you have not received a response from a VICE editorial staffer, it is safe to assume that we are not interested in your story. Thank you.”

If enough people write to them I think there’s a good chance they will take notice and reach out.

This has worked in the past - a longgg time ago, myself and a few others on the board here wrote letters to The Source Magazine praising QN5 and asking them to do a story, etc. They actually published my letter and atleast 1 or 2 others in the magazine - which was basically free exposure/advertising.

I think this can work for other outlets as well. I remember there was a thread recently about compiling a list of blogs that we could e-mail requests to for QN5. I made a list myself, I’ll include it below if anyone is interested. I think we should also work on contacting radio shows to get some exposure for QN5. DJ Eclipse has his show ‘Rap Is Outta Control’ on Shade45 on SiriusXM. Eclipse is 100% aware of and friendly with tone, pack, etc.. they’ve both been on The Halftime Show on WNYU numerous times w/ Eclipse. I think a bunch of us should reach out via twitter, email, facebook, etc.. requesting they get tone on there for an interview. I already know he would murder the mic and a lot of those youtube videos of artists on there have a lot of views and would be great exposure. We should also work on getting tone on Sway In The Morning on Sirius. The show is done right in NYC & I would be surprised if Sway isn’t familiar with QN5 in some form. Again, tone would definitely kill it on there, and a lot of those videos have well over a million views on youtube.

EDIT LIST REMOVED

Kontrast the Conn Artist said:I submitted an ‘article idea’ to VICE ( http://www.vice.com/pages/about ) recommending they do a story on Tone / QN5. Something like this would be really good exposure I think. If anyone else wants to do the same - you can email editor@vice.com

Not a bad idea. Perhaps we’ll get one of our writer friends to pitch a story to them.

BTW - 90% of the contact information you provided are dead links. We tried all of these a bit back and they’re all either dead or immediate bounce backs. Too many bedroom rappers sending their DatPiff mixtapes apparently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With that said, we’re more concerned with person-to-person connections, at the moment. Press only deals with Publicists and professional writers. Non-credentialed folks hitting them out of nowhere tends not to get very far.

QN5 said:
Not a bad idea. Perhaps we’ll get one of our writer friends to pitch a story to them.

That would be dope!

QN5 said:BTW - 90% of the contact information you provided are dead links. We tried all of these a bit back and they’re all either dead or immediate bounce backs. Too many bedroom rappers sending their DatPiff mixtapes apparently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That sucks - guess that list is useless now lol.

Tone breaking down music marketing like a boss!

As Tone aptly pointed out on the iAcquire interview last year, if your song doesn’t have a video, it essentially doesn’t exist. People are compelled by visuals, so I think the music videos will be a real turning point for the whole Polymer marketing campaign.

Seeing as how bloggers are the resident tastemakers nowadays, nothing seems to draw more attention and clicks. Remember when Beyoncé recently released a visual for every song on her album? That was a conscious and calculated move that capitalized on the audiences of this time. The generation of attention deficit magpie-consumers has emerged; we must appeal to them by loading our digital trebuchets with shiny, colorful, interactive motion art cinematography and other pretty things for them to gaze at as they listen. Anything less than that, and the content usually goes largely unnoticed… regardless of its value, quality and substance.

hypothetical scenario: what if i pay a hacker of a certain group that has been responsible for various cyber attacks in the past 2 months to infiltrate several websites and twitter accounts of celebrities to rep QN5?

yall on board?

That sounds a bit sketchy af, but i’m definitly intrigued… however i don’t think you will get an answer from the qn5 crew here since this forum has been dead for years sadly Sad try twitter, insta, FB.

If i were an artist and a fan would do this for my music i’m not sure how i would feel, it’s kinda unorganic to push music on people like that. And you know hacking is illegal…so i don’t think you will get a straight answer from them, you’ll probably get ignored.

nah, i wouldn’t be straight up advertising qn5.
i would just tweet a single image of the fetuseahorse and let the media figure it out by themselves as everyone sits and watches the chaos go down in confusion

Just enjoy the music that’s available, folks. There’s no magic bullet for any of this.
Most of the original crew members are still releasing brilliant music and there’s much more to come along the way. It’s scattered, but it’s out there. Thanks for love and support over the years.

QN5 said:Just enjoy the music that’s available, folks. There’s no magic bullet for any of this.
Most of the original crew members are still releasing brilliant music and there’s much more to come along the way. It’s scattered, but it’s out there. Thanks for love and support over the years.

Definitely! Mr. SOS dropped an insanely dope album last year with mr.enok, in may I believe. The album sounds spacey and smooth af, is filled with headbobbers, excelent producing, good features, classic mr.sos flow and very spiritual/philosophical/symbolic messages, but I like that. They also shipped from the Netherlands so it was cheap to buy for once haha Very Happy

Not sure what you guys’ relationship with him is these days but I think deac did a shout out on his IG so I think im allowed to drop a link. A new collab with Mr.SOS would be dope too.

https://belowsystem.bandcamp.com/album/eleven-eleven

Also I dont care how long it takes to create an album, man i cant even comprehend what it takes to create these things. I would like to know though…. Do I want more after each new album? Fuck yeah I do, because it’s always that good. But am I entitled to it? Hell no. Each new album/single/EP I feel blessed you guys are still releasing music I can listen to. Dont thank me, thank yourself. Pat yourself on the back because you deserve it. And don’t feel weird about it either. DO IT