close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Comic Books 2014

I don’t know if any of the comic book reading QN5ers still visit this board but I wanted to share some new books that I’m enjoying.

thewickedthedivine_1_B.jpg

Becky Cloonan is doing a variant cover for an issue of my first recommendation, Wicked + Divine. This book is well done all around. It’s set in a world where various deities are made incarnate and reach the highest level of celebrity. I’m only up to issue 4 of this book but it’s been very interesting so far. Highly recommend at least just to check out. Issues are sold out but there should be second printings available.

http://www.ow.ly/BMHc3

fg13_web72.jpg

The next book is also an Image book about a treasure hunter with a unique twist, title of the book is Five Ghosts. The art and concept of this book are excellent although I think the writer is still a little raw when it comes to dialogue. This is an excellent title that I personally expect to end up as a movie at some point. The premise is too cool.

the wicked + the divine sounds cool, i’ll have to check that out!
been busy, kind of fallen off of comics/graphic novels recently—only read one graphic novel this past year and that was ed piskor’s Hip Hop Family Tree vol. 1 (heard the second volume came out a few weeks ago, haven’t checked it out yet). I’m really liking historical graphic novels more and more. Read one a while ago, The Beats, about the beat movement, really enjoyed that as well.
anything else from the past year you’d recommend? (doesn’t haven’t to be historical/true.)
Edit: doesn’t have to be just from the past year, actually… i’m definitely not up-to-date.

coopaloop said:the wicked + the divine sounds cool, i’ll have to check that out!
been busy, kind of fallen off of comics/graphic novels recently—only read one graphic novel this past year and that was ed piskor’s Hip Hop Family Tree vol. 1 (heard the second volume came out a few weeks ago, haven’t checked it out yet). I’m really liking historical graphic novels more and more. Read one a while ago, The Beats, about the beat movement, really enjoyed that as well.
anything else from the past year you’d recommend? (doesn’t haven’t to be historical/true.)
Edit: doesn’t have to be just from the past year, actually… i’m definitely not up-to-date.

These aren’t quite historical, but almost, these are either non-fiction or based on non-fiction/history…. I would highly recommend ‘Maus’ by Art Spiegelman, anything by Harvey Pekar (RIP), ‘Blankets’ by Craig Thompson, ‘From Hell’ by Alan Moore, ‘Mom’s Cancer’ by Brian Fies, ‘To the Heart of the Storm’ by Will Eisner, ‘Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea’ by Guy Delisle, ‘300’ & ‘Ronin’ by Frank Miller. There is also a MF Grimm graphic novel that I’ve wanted to read but have not yet. Oh, and there is a 9 Rings of Wu-Tang graphic novel, but that’s not historical at all.

Non-fiction comics aren’t really my area (I like escaping lol), but I think you will find something on this list that you like. I mean Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Will Eisner, Harvey Pekar, those are legends in the medium. You cannot go wrong. Maus is such a classic too, you probably already read that one.

The Trashman said:These aren’t quite historical, but almost, these are either non-fiction or based on non-fiction/history…. I would highly recommend ‘Maus’ by Art Spiegelman, anything by Harvey Pekar (RIP), ‘Blankets’ by Craig Thompson, ‘From Hell’ by Alan Moore, ‘Mom’s Cancer’ by Brian Fies, ‘To the Heart of the Storm’ by Will Eisner, ‘Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea’ by Guy Delisle, ‘300’ & ‘Ronin’ by Frank Miller. There is also a MF Grimm graphic novel that I’ve wanted to read but have not yet. Oh, and there is a 9 Rings of Wu-Tang graphic novel, but that’s not historical at all.

Non-fiction comics aren’t really my area (I like escaping lol), but I think you will find something on this list that you like. I mean Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Will Eisner, Harvey Pekar, those are legends in the medium. You cannot go wrong. Maus is such a classic too, you probably already read that one.

Thanks! Ya, I have Maus, 300, and Ronin. I’m not solely into historical genres, I’m just not a huge fan of science fiction/supernatural stuff (I like when the explanations in the stories are more plausible/the suspension of disbelief isn’t as prevelant)... but there’s always exceptions, y’know…? Feel like Blankets has been recommended to me before, guess i should get on that. thanks again!

Anyone pick up the new Walking Dead this week?

Got me amped.

I got the new WD trade paperback last week. I don’t get the individual issues (sadly, bc if i did I’d be rich!).

This is the first trade where the focal point is not Rick anymore. I’ve been reading this book for going on 10 years now and unfortunately, feel like it might be coming to a close. They need to get some other creators in on the book, try to create a universe, because I don’t want it to end (or get crappy and tired). I’m surprised it’s been this good for this long tbh.

I’ve kind of been slacking with my comics lately. I am really not into too many superhero books these days, although I did pick up a trade called “Wolverine & the New X-Men: Alpha and Omega” because it features one of my favorite new X-characters, Kid Omega.

The Trashman said:I’ve been reading this book for going on 10 years now and unfortunately, feel like it might be coming to a close.

If you mean the series coming to an end literally (and not quality-wise), I’ve read in the Letter Hacks within the past year or two that Kirkman has a rough outline for at least up to issue #200 and likely beyond.

If you mean quality-wise.. I think the All Out War fiasco, or really Negan’s whole stretch as being their main enemy, was prolonged more than necessary and that kinda made things “meh,” but I feel like it may be picking up with The Whisperers and events of #134.

houstonz said:

The Trashman said:I’ve been reading this book for going on 10 years now and unfortunately, feel like it might be coming to a close.

If you mean the series coming to an end literally (and not quality-wise), I’ve read in the Letter Hacks within the past year or two that Kirkman has a rough outline for at least up to issue #200 and likely beyond.

If you mean quality-wise.. I think the All Out War fiasco, or really Negan’s whole stretch as being their main enemy, was prolonged more than necessary and that kinda made things “meh,” but I feel like it may be picking up with The Whisperers and events of #134.

Yeah I just meant the quality. Negan was a step down from the Governor and just didn’t allot to much in the end. Some of the newer characters are getting a little hard to believe like the dude with the Tiger who Michonne bitch slapped in bed, and a Jesus look-alike who is named Jesus, is gay (I think?), and wears samurai armor and is one of the main people now. It’s getting a little hard to connect with the new characters lol.

Yeah I guess its not gonna end as long as they have the TV show, and Vol. 22 is named ‘New Beginning’. They just need to keep things fresh and I have faith Kirkman can do it.

The Trashman said:Yeah I just meant the quality. Negan was a step down from the Governor and just didn’t allot to much in the end. Some of the newer characters are getting a little hard to believe like the dude with the Tiger who Michonne bitch slapped in bed, and a Jesus look-alike who is named Jesus, is gay (I think?), and wears samurai armor and is one of the main people now. It’s getting a little hard to connect with the new characters lol.

Yeah I guess its not gonna end as long as they have the TV show, and Vol. 22 is named ‘New Beginning’. They just need to keep things fresh and I have faith Kirkman can do it.

You’ll see with Volume 22 that they really kick things off post-AOW in a “safe place,” and some characters seem to have gone down different paths and whatnot. And you know when Kirkman gets folks feeling safe.. somebody’s gonna die. Maybe a lot of people.. I could definitely dig the different strongholds being slimmed down (or hell, destroyed) at this point to get that “on the road” feeling again vs their current attempts to rebuild civilization. Maybe I’m just sadistic, but I wouldn’t mind seeing everything that Rick and co. have worked so hard to build just get demolished… again.

I’m trying to keep spoilers out of my comments now. lol But this new threat seems interesting, though I’m not sure just how intriguing they’ll really turn out to be. It’s still a little early to tell, but it looks like the more interesting stories are evolving out of character development rather than having a “big bad” to go after, which is kinda nice.

This isn’t 2014, but I figured I’d throw this in here in lieu of making a new thread.

How fuckin cool is this?!

e0310c2e.jpg

RTJMarvel2.jpg?wmode=transparent

Going to be stalking midtowncomics.com for those now! ^^^^

I hope they don’t cost as much as these ones….

Birdman-Marvel-Comic-Cover.jpg

captain-america-rae-sremmurd.jpg

These were like $100 variants, way out of my range for non-key issues. At least they finally got a good artist though.

Damn… yeah I can imagine that these RTJ variants will be a lot of $$

I want them in the form of posters

Anyone here read or looked into Kirkman & Azaceta’s “Outcast” yet? I haven’t but I’m gonna pick up the first TPB later this month and check it out. It’s only gonna be like $10.

The hip-hop covers must have sold well, so in Marvel Comics fashion…they pump the f——outta that market.

(Collection of all the recent Marvel/Classic Hip-Hop Variants)
http://imgur.com/a/xLHqg

In other news, I’m not really having much time for reading this year but always love the stuff Eric Powell is doing. He’s got a Goon miniseries going right now but definitely check out his Image book “Big Man Plans”.

big-man-plans-03-cover-eric-powell-530x815.jpg

It’s quite violent, the main character is a midget on a mission for revenge. He also gets pretty messed up himself, there he is aflame on the cover above. Good stuff.

I’ve done a bit of reading (read: spending) the last 6 months or so.

-Read all of Y: The Last Man as well as Locke & Key. Y:TLM is probably one of my favorite stories ever. Locke & Key was dope.
-Picked up all the trades for Saga and love that shit. Gonna start picking up the monthly issues.
-I’m up-to-date on Outcast and it’s really been picking up the last 3-4 issues. Looking forward to the comic and the show.
-Walking Dead is still my favorite on-going title. The arc that just ended was really good. Can’t wait to see what’s next.
-Read Vol. 1-4 of Brian K. Vaughn’s ‘Ex Machina’ which is really interesting. I’ve only got one more volume left and looking forward to finishing it up. Hoping for some closure on a few topics.
-Picked up a few books I plan on reading after I’m done with Ex Machina, including: Wytches, Scalped, and Chew.
-Picked up the first issue of BKV’s ‘We Stand On Guard’ but haven’t read it yet.
-Think I might pick up the first trade of The Wicked + The Divine. I’ve looked at it a couple times but never purchased. I’m already sitting on so much stuff to read. lol

Y: the Last Man was great, I read that when it was coming out. I ended up stopping reading Wicked + Divine after about issue 7, just lost my interest.

I just ordered the first trade of Wytches on Amazon for 4.99. Scott Snyder on that book, I can at least give it a try for the price.