close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff Favourite EVER Tonedeff Song?

So I don’t think I’ve seen any discussion on this in a while..

For many years it was Porcelain for me. That piano sample, that Chorus/Intro, the not-quite-love story we’ve all been through.. it tugged at the heartstrings and just connected with me in a way that not very much music does. It was not necessarily Tone at his most technical, but it was so beautifully realised.

I still love that song, but it’s been 10 years.

Recently I claimed on these forums that the title-track “Glutton” had overtaken it. A claim that’s been made a lot harder to stick by with the quality of the “Demon” and “Hunter” EPs as well as the standalone single “Holograms”. The title track from “Demon” is definitely up there now in the higher echelon of Tone’s catalogue and it pushes so many of my buttons on a personal taste level.

“Narcissus” and “Competitive Nature” are now probably my favourites from the latest EP, with the former again appealing to me personally, but the latter being arguably the more complete and universally great song. I guess time will tell how much I end up listening to them in the future and their lasting impression on me.

So as I’m writing this, the more I think about it, the harder it is to come to some finite decision. I know that the second verse from “My Lady” is quite possibly my favourite ever Tonedeff verse (and an amazing song as a whole too) but isn’t one I find myself coming back to regularly anymore.

So I’m going to cheat for now and provide my shortlist:-

- Porcelain
- Glutton
- Demon
- My Lady
- Competitive Nature

And already I feel guilty for leaving so much stuff out.

There are three tracks that stick out for me, although two of them technically aren’t “Tonedeff” tracks.

“The Distance” has been one of my favorites for quite some time. Even though it is labeled as a CL track, I think it would be fair to mention it since Deac and Natti aren’t on it.
Tone on a Kno beat is simply a match made in heaven. I absolutely love the concept, and to me, it’s one of Tone’s most emotionally impactful songs; Tone’s cadence is perfect and the outro just takes it to the next level.

“Moment” is my favorite Polymer track so far and also my favorite done strictly under the Tonedeff moniker. In terms of personal preference, the flow on here is as good as it gets. It’s extremely impressive on a technical level but simultaneously very accessible and I love the constantly changing patterns. Furthermore, I find the subject matter highly interesting and Tone does an amazing job at defining the complex concept of Time. The equally beautiful and eerie chorus is the icing on the cake.

My absolute favorite Tony Rojas track probably doesn’t belong in this thread, but there is no way I’ll be able to make an “all-time favorite” list without mentioning “Spiral”. I’ve already praised it to the skyes in the Projectionist discussion thread, so I don’t know if there is much more I can add. But since I wrote that, I’ve come to the conclusion that this song probably is one of my favorites of all time – regardless of genre. I adore every single little detail about it: the structure, the melodies, the writing. I’ve listened to it hundreds of times and it still hits me right in the heart and sends me into a trance, every single time. The level of ambition is breathtaking and it is executed to perfection.

“Demon” and “Glutton” would round of my top-five.

I simply can’t make a Top 3, 5, 10, whatever. Soooo these are the songs that are 6+ years old that I can go back to and enjoy the most to this day:

Fast
Loyal
Gathered
My Lady
Warden

And here we have material that’s come out within the last 5 years or so that I fucking lovvvve:

The Distance
I Wish I Was Dead
Never Enough
Climb
Glutton
Filthy
Moment
Lucky
Narcissus

I’d love to elaborate, but I’m exhausted.
————————————————————-
This actually got me thinking about “One Thousand Ships” and “Here Comes The Tide”..

I can haz future musik?

Porcelain
The distance
My lady
Demon
What part of forever
Overture
Holograms
Moment
Glutton
Competitive nature
Narcissus
Gathered

It feels weird naming covers but I just can’t get enough of those songs.

Yeah, this is hard. Too many great songs to choose just one. I do know Porcelain would be near the very top of my list. That song is just about perfect all the way around.

Basix. Forever my favorite Tone/Pack collabo. SORRY GUYS I know there have been a million others since then, but this song is part of what got me into QN5 and will forever be my shit :p.

Give A Damn and Kronic Braggart. The Tonedeff that would ultimately birth Hunter. Recognize.

Porcelain. Exemplifies the spirit of Archetype and today’s Tonedeff IMO. Tone’s affinity for classical instrumentation, his ear for vocal melodies, his skills as a storyteller, and his penchant for baring and examining his own soul.

I Wish I Was Dead. While technically a Kno joint…that first verse is ab. so. lute. ly. in. sane. His background singing glues the chorus together, and he murders the outro. Honorable mention goes to Deathly Thoughts.

So, that’s the old stuff…

As for Polymer, I don’t even know how to choose. The EPs’ styles are so diverse; I feel like I want more of everything:
Centerfold (Glutton)
Moment, Demon (Demon)
Literally every track (Hunter)

Optimist - because it got me through a lot of hard times. And because optimism is underrated.

Wow, Tone really has an incredible catalogue of music.

I heard “Heads Up” again the other day for the first time in years. While not necessarily one of my favourite Tonedeff songs ever.. I completely forgot how cool it was and how different his music used to be.

I’m not sure if I can pick specific favorites but what I find dope is how each person who posted has a different answer. It just goes to show how much variety Tonedeff has and if you don’t like all of his music, hes going to have something that will keep your interest regardless. I suppose as of right now if I had to pick five songs without going into too much detail I would pick:

Demon (Demon)
Glutton (Glutton)
Narcissus (Hunter)
The Distance (SJV1)
My Lady (CATM & Asterisk 4)

I just feel like these 5 songs in particular captivate Tonedeff in his two best forms. The extremely vivid and relatable storyteller and the artist who gives you everything that makes him who he is. I wish I could give a better explanation but that’s a very tough question. Honestly if I could I would name his entire discography. I can say I have trouble leaving Monotony off even if its not as lyrically or musically advanced as his newer work. That track alone makes me want the remastered version of Monotone to be released even more.. even though I love that whole EP.

What a pleasant surprise to see “Gathered” getting so much love in this thread - I thought I would have been one of the only ones.

As for a top 5 mine would probably look something like this:

Gathered
No Hope
Competitive Nature
Loyal
Porcelain

Gathered might actually be my favorite song from the Archetype album now. For a while it was Porcelain because of what it was about and how I’ve gone through the same situation that he did many times. However, as time goes on I find myself loving Gathered more and more. On an album as amazing and cohesive as Archetype is, Gathered to me is the standout track. Its just done so perfectly.. from the live Orchestra to Tonedeffs singing.

mattthegod said:what I find dope is how each person who posted has a different answer. It just goes to show how much variety Tonedeff has and if you don’t like all of his music, hes going to have something that will keep your interest regardless.

This is pretty much exactly why I started this thread. I am genuinely intrigued to see what other peoples favourites are because I know everyone has individual preferences and they’re all accommodated. Also, it’s basically impossible to pick a single song.. so it actually challenges people to think about it.

Scott A. said:What a pleasant surprise to see “Gathered” getting so much love in this thread - I thought I would have been one of the only ones.

Gathered is definitely up there and used to be one of my favourites - Polymer has just thrown so many new competitors into the mix. I mean, you could sub-categorise this whole thread by Tone’s different styles.

Just because I want to mention them: Fast, Bring It, Morethanthis, Punk, Bang, That’s what happens, Overture, Masochist (holy-fuck how did I forget Masochist?!), Issawn, Heavyweight.. the whole of EF@MM

Lets talk about Monotony a bit more. I feel like that song really explains Tonedeffs issues with modern hip hop music that people often praise as greatness even though its not or just music as a whole for that matter. It also shows his talent as a wordsmith and the way he breaks down the whole Monotony thing in the 3rd verse is genius. Now the production for that song is gorgeous. I feel like that track as a whole should definitely be mentioned more even if its not quite as musically or lyrically advanced as his more recent work. It still catches me everytime I hear it.. hopefully one day Ill be lucky enough to see him perform it live.

mattthegod said:hopefully one day Ill be lucky enough to see him perform it live.

He friggin’ OPENED the 2011 Megashow with that song. That had to be one of my favourite moments of fan-service from QN5 period.

Epic Aesthetic said:

mattthegod said:hopefully one day Ill be lucky enough to see him perform it live.

He friggin’ OPENED the 2011 Megashow with that song. That had to be one of my favourite moments of fan-service from QN5 period.

Like you told me.. Tonedeff is the pinnacle of music. Seriously there isnt anything he can’t do.

I meant to respond to this awhile ago, as this one is no question for me.

No Hope.

Not only my favorite Tonedeff song, but my favorite song ever from any artist I’ve ever heard, and has been since the moment I listened to it. Everything about this song is absolutely incredible.

The production starts off slightly low and raises a bit which draws you in right away. Then Tonedeff comes in with lyrics that intrigue and you can relate to, then they really grab you in talking about the loss of a friend, driving home the craziness of the world and how easily it can all end.

I could go on forever about all the things I love in this song (not the least of which is Tone’s flow and voice-tone, nobody else has the voice to pull this song off with the same impact), but let’s just say that I’ve listened to this one a billion times and I never tire of it. I was so glad when it got re-released on Cold.Killed.Collected so I didn’t have this 14 minute long track on my playlist that I had to skip the last ten minutes of… lol.

This song is why I was so excited for Chico and the Man, like to an obscene amount where I would check multiple times per day for updates and I would sometimes be scared in certain life-or-death situations thinking “no way, I can NOT die yet, I still have to hear Chico and the Man!”

No Hope is so powerful and has resonated with me for so long that putting any other song in its place seems like something that may never happen, though I hope it does, because of course “you can always improve on what’s already been done.”

The thing I’m most surprised at is how it has only been mentioned once before now in this thread. I guess it just shows Tone’s versatility as a great artist that so many different works of his have resonated so deeply with us.

Love Ain’t Remix
Masochist
Line Drop
Arrogant
No Hope
I Wish I Was Dead
Competitive Nature
The Distance
Days Chasing Days
Peruvian Cocaine
Glutton
Punk Megashow Mix
Velocity
616 Rewind
The Evil That Pens Do
Urutora Kaiju
Spinnin
Tetraheathen

tl;dr Too many songs.

CleanupCrew said:The thing I’m most surprised at is how it has only been mentioned once before now in this thread. I guess it just shows Tone’s versatility as a great artist that so many different works of his have resonated so deeply with us.

Good post.

“No Hope” is another great song, I definitely appreciate it.. especially the first verse for me. Nice beat, a cool Deacon chorus and actually one of his more “accessible” songs that I tend to show people when getting into him.

Personally not one of my top TOP best/favourites because I feel he’s done more impressive things musically/lyrically/technically elsewhere and he didn’t produce it himself. But the fact that everyone here seems to have differing choices is what’s really interesting to me.

- - -

On another note, I kinda fucked up when I posted a top 5.. didn’t encourage the rest of you to think hard enough haha (although I’m still stumped too)

Epic Aesthetic said:

CleanupCrew said:The thing I’m most surprised at is how it has only been mentioned once before now in this thread. I guess it just shows Tone’s versatility as a great artist that so many different works of his have resonated so deeply with us.

Good post.

“No Hope” is another great song, I definitely appreciate it.. especially the first verse for me. Nice beat, a cool Deacon chorus and actually one of his more “accessible” songs that I tend to show people when getting into him.

Personally not one of my top TOP best/favourites because I feel he’s done more impressive things musically/lyrically/technically elsewhere and he didn’t produce it himself. But the fact that everyone here seems to have differing choices is what’s really interesting to me.

- - -

On another note, I kinda fucked up when I posted a top 5.. didn’t encourage the rest of you to think hard enough haha (although I’m still stumped too)

That’s the wonderful thing about Tonedeff. He has so many different aspects to his craft that makes him great so everyone will have different answers because of it. Even with him being this far into his career there isn’t any telling how much farther he can take his creativity. The possibilities are endless. He truly is the pinnacle of music.

I’d be curious to see what songs people would pick as their favorites from the Hyphen & Underscore era. Even though during that time period Tone was going through his battle phase, he was still so far ahead of everyone else in music. He found a way to make that battle style of hip hop creative and different. I use the term hip hop loosely because we still got songs like Fast & Morethanthis where he did stuff that was different.

From those records..

Spanish Song, Fast, Move In Ride Out, Massive, TNT, Bring It, Frequency, Hypocrite.. fun stuff

Cosign houstonz, although I think my number 1 would be Fast.

I was actually watching the Underscore video that came as the enhanced feature with the CD on Youtube. I remember Tone was talking about the tracks that he meant to have on Archetype and he mentioned Hypocrite. It would have been interesting to hear how he would’ve fit that song onto the album had he decided to use it.

When I hear Fast I still love it. Hyphen is focused more so on his battle style of rapping and his technical skill of MCing. To end the album with something like Fast is awesome because it tells new listeners for that time period that he’s not a one trick pony. He could have ended it with another song like Detonator (which I love), but he decided to shock us all with one of his most artistic tracks for that time period. I loved it.

CleanupCrew said:I meant to respond to this awhile ago, as this one is no question for me.

No Hope.

Not only my favorite Tonedeff song, but my favorite song ever from any artist I’ve ever heard, and has been since the moment I listened to it. Everything about this song is absolutely incredible.

The production starts off slightly low and raises a bit which draws you in right away. Then Tonedeff comes in with lyrics that intrigue and you can relate to, then they really grab you in talking about the loss of a friend, driving home the craziness of the world and how easily it can all end.

I could go on forever about all the things I love in this song (not the least of which is Tone’s flow and voice-tone, nobody else has the voice to pull this song off with the same impact), but let’s just say that I’ve listened to this one a billion times and I never tire of it. I was so glad when it got re-released on Cold.Killed.Collected so I didn’t have this 14 minute long track on my playlist that I had to skip the last ten minutes of… lol.

This song is why I was so excited for Chico and the Man, like to an obscene amount where I would check multiple times per day for updates and I would sometimes be scared in certain life-or-death situations thinking “no way, I can NOT die yet, I still have to hear Chico and the Man!”

No Hope is so powerful and has resonated with me for so long that putting any other song in its place seems like something that may never happen, though I hope it does, because of course “you can always improve on what’s already been done.”

The thing I’m most surprised at is how it has only been mentioned once before now in this thread. I guess it just shows Tone’s versatility as a great artist that so many different works of his have resonated so deeply with us.

I concur

Although it’s really difficult to try to choose one (or even set of) Tonedeff song(s), there’s something really special that resonates with me in No Hope.

The lyrics throughout are great but it’s the end of the song that’s the most powerful. Perhaps the most motivating and positive lyric I’ve ever heard: “Remember the determination of your first step”.

Also, any track that allows the listener to clearly hear Tone’s voice, feel the emotion of the lyrics and one that’s slow enough that you can fully appreciate the impact behind each painstakingly chosen word… For all the great Tonedeff tracks and variety of styles he uses, it’s songs like this that sit among my favourites.

It’s why I’m most looking forward to EP 4 of Polymer.

Also, I guess the reason No Hope hasn’t shown up so much on this list is that it’s a collaboration with Kno. It’s not a pure Tonedeff song, so perhaps doesn’t fit this thread…

^Same here. I was astounded by No Hope when i first heard it. Usually when i listen to hip-hop its the beat that i first enjoy and after a couple of listens head-nodding (if its a dope beat - if it hasnt a dope beat i usually stop there) i let the words sink in.

But on No Hope i remember i couldnt just focus on the beat at all, Tones words stopped me in my tracks completely and when it finished i had to listen again. I agree with the tracks that allow you to hear his voice, but on No Hope it isnt like the vocals are that much louder than the beat, i think Kno just found a perfect beat at the perfect pitch that allowed room for both it AND the verses to breath. That second verse though - Jesus! Its not that often these days that im left stuck for words after a verse but that…... and then Deacons singing…..

What an absolutely perfect beautiful track

No particular order.
Holograms
Optimist
Use Me
Climb
The Gates
Masochist
Fear
Alive
My Lady
Heavyweight
Never Enough
No Hope

Hypocrite has always been a favorite of mine. As far as recently i really enjoy competitive nature

Monotony.

And demon.

I will say that even though this song isn’t my favorite, it might showcase the best writing that Tonedeff has ever constructed. That song would be the remix of Holograms. I’m actually surprised I didn’t see more comments on it when it came out. Its not my favorite Tonedeff track but the verse he wrote on it may be his best yet.

It might also be because I have had a lot of experience with long distance relationships and the track hits home for me.

I think I’ll have to update my list. I would say that these would be the songs I would pick as of right now:

Demon (Demon EP)
Glutton (Glutton EP)
Competitive Nature (Hunter EP)
The Distance (SJV1)
My Lady (Asterisk 4, CATM)
Lucky (Hunter EP)
Use Me (Demon EP)
Narcissus (Hunter EP)
Sunrise (Glutton EP)
Moment (Demon EP)

Even picking just 10 is tough. This is really something that changes consistently for me. I was tempted to list 20 songs and I might just do that once Polymer comes out.