close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff Favourite EVER Tonedeff Song?

It’s Demon. 100% No doubt about it.

Demon.

Epic Aesthetic said:It’s Demon. 100% No doubt about it.

Demon.

Can’t tell you how happy it makes me to see a pick from a recent release. Smile

Have I really not made a legitimate post here yet? TO THE BAT CAVE!!

Epic Aesthetic said:It’s Demon. 100% No doubt about it.

Demon.

I’ve been going back and forth between this and Spiral. Demon is my favorite Polymer EP so far. For a while I thought it might be Competitive Nature but after going back to the Demon and Glutton EPs I think Demon, Glutton, & Spiral are my 3 if I had to choose right now. Competitive Nature and Narcissus are both still up there though.

So nothing on ‘Demon’, which is straight ridiculous. But…

‘Hunter’. Here’s my recipe for this song. Get left however you prefer (I prefer rum, but do you), Make a playlist of Tonedeff ‘Politics,’ Bjork ‘Hunter’. Tonedeff ‘Hunter.’ Hit play. Repeat as desired. But for me, twice through and I’m on that next level.

Tonedeff said:Can’t tell you how happy it makes me to see a pick from a recent release. Smile

You’ve actually kinda created a weird rift in your catalogue for me with Polymer. Now when I’m in the mood to listen to “Tonedeff music” the old stuff doesn’t cut it.. I want that new shit, electronic hybrid insanity.

I still love and appreciate the old material and those songs will forever be important to me.. but it just doesn’t scratch that same itch. It’s hella annoying because I no longer feel like you have a huge back-catalogue that represents you now, but just 15 songs (plus a few extra non-polymer cuts) - which means you need to make a ton more in the foreseeable future ^_^

I’ve avoided this thread and I’m sure more than a few fellow Blue Schoolers can understand why. The question gives me full-on analysis paralysis, but with that being said, if I must make a decisive choice…

I propose that the best written Tonedeff song ever is “Moment”.

The topic that’s tackled here simply makes this one tune that will never NOT be relevant to anyone who lends an ear to its message, and that’s essentially what makes it a favourite of mine. Nevermind the fact it’s a beautiful song to listen to peripherally with its sprawling melodies and head-nodding production, but more than that, the lyrics are just packed with so much meaning… written from an intensely personal place yet somehow simultaneously transcending self-indulgence, it’s the kind of writing you WILL find yourself relating to and gleaning from more and more with every listen, because its wisdom becomes increasingly identifiable with age and the gradual, transitional passage of life. I say that with confidence not because I’m a fan trying to sell you on a song; I’d be preaching to the choir. I say it because I’m human, and the irretrievable nature of time is a fact of life that all people must confront and thereby all relate to. We’re all in this ride together heading into the future, and THIS is one song that’s very impressively written with that in mind.

Mr. Deff has always said he admires those who manage to encapsulate life in concisely articulated lines, and anyone familiar with his writing can attest to the fact he’s no slouch when it comes to doing just that. Here, he achieves it consecutively with damn near every lyric, but perhaps most succinctly in the final power line: “Time flies and it heals all wounds; it’s an angel that’ll strangle you while it saves you.” Damn.

The first verse does listeners the kind favour of easing them into the anxiety of merely philosophizing about time, death and regret, before launching into the second verse with an overwhelmingly crushing series of reminders about our inevitable mortality, ending with a conclusive 16 bars of life lessons wrapped in a clinic of wordplay. If you’re paying close attention, it’s altogether some truly heavy shit to ingest. If it weren’t for the contrasting bouncy, playful flows and calming harmonies throughout the track I’d probably suffer panic attacks just from pondering the sheer gravitas of each line for hours on end. So, I’m thankful it’s all contained in an enjoyable piece of music. Phew.

As an aside, this song also best exemplifies my love for the artform of rap; when executed masterfully, it effectively communicates meaningful and honest expression in a poetic fashion while doing so with style and finesse, demonstrating its very unique skill with unmatched proficiency. When attempting to discuss something as expansive as Time and the constant reminder that it’s slipping through our fingers with every passing moment, this conversational form of expression is a greatly effective weapon of choice to get so many points across at once in a short amount of time. Again, pushing at an open door here, but isn’t it safe to say that what this song achieves isn’t exactly found everyday, and therefore not something to be taken for granted? Diamonds in the rough must be appreciated, not overlooked.

This track alone also makes Demon my favourite of the Polymer EPs thus far, but the fact it also includes the cinematic title track, the mellifluous “Use Me” AND the fastest rap song ever recorded is just bananas. Plus, I believe the artist himself said he finds himself listening to “Cinder” the most out of all the recent recorded material. Objectively and undeniably a 5 star EP, with “Moment” being the most thoughtful, universally identifiable and subsequently most ‘important’ Tonedeff song ever written. One man’s humble opinion of course… but I don’t think it’s an easy one to argue against.

The Distance. The way those verses are put together along with the beat is just perfect. Beautifully sad song.

After stating that Demon was my favorite Tonedeff track I had to go back and make sure I wasn’t wrong about that. As difficult as this question is I think I’d still have to go with Demon. That might actually be my favorite song in existence.

Listening to Tone on the new Stoops2Stages with Gastor Almonte (Akolades) and man… apparently there are up to 5 different masters of “Demon” floating around.. y’all might wanna go redownload off Bandcamp for the latest one? LOL!

..and some of the light shed on Tone & Kno’s musical work relationship is actually really cool to me and adds to the hype for CATM.

houstonz said:Have I really not made a legitimate post here yet? TO THE BAT CAVE!!

Ahem….

Revision said:

houstonz said:Have I really not made a legitimate post here yet? TO THE BAT CAVE!!

Ahem….

I know.. I made a brief post originally but haven’t gone in depth, and I think that was a while ago. I keep putting it off because it won’t be easy to narrow it down. lol

houstonz said:

Revision said:

Ahem….

I know.. I made a brief post originally but haven’t gone in depth, and I think that was a while ago. I keep putting it off because it won’t be easy to narrow it down. lol

I co sign this 100%. I’m already wondering if I should go back and try to think this question through again after making my post claiming Demon was my all time favorite Tonedeff song. It’s such a difficult question.

After much deliberation, “fuck”/“shit” typing, and a pinch of sleep deprivation:

20. Fear - I’ve always loved Tone’s verse here. I still get chills at that “so when you feel the chills reel up your spine and the adrenaline fills you” line. Fiyah.
19. Homecoming King - YEAH THAT’S RIGHT, FUCKIN HOMECOMING KING. NO ONE ELSE TALKS ABOUT THIS SHIT. Seriously though, this is the first Tonedeff song I got my mom and sister to say they liked. I get a ton of early high school imagery when listening to this song.
18. Masochist - The chorus is so damn catchy. It was initially one of my top 3 off Archetype, I think.
17. Loyal - To think I had this in my top 5 in my original post. How the mighty have fallen. lol Really though, this will always be an amazing song. The production, hook, verses.. another one of my favorites from the Archetype era that stands the test of time over 10 years later.
16. No Hope - This was probably the first really depressing Tonedeff song. It holds a special place in my depressing heart. The 2nd verse in particular is some shit. This was probably my favorite Tonedeff song (period) until “My Lady” was released in 07.
15. Gathered - “Gathered” was a very different type of song for me in 2005. Before I was introduced to Tone’s music and downloaded the advance of Archetype I primarily listened to Immortal Technique, Eminem, 2Pac, some miscellaneous underground stuff, and Linkin Park. This song was none of that, and it clicked with me. That switch-up at 2:15 still goes hard as fuck. The strings immediately after “following behind” are a highlight for me. The strings were arranged and executed so well on here.
14. Climb - “And I wanna climb until my lungs are drawn/ And I wanna climb till I don’t feel the weight/ And I wanna climb until the ache is gone/ And I wanna climb till I disintegrate/” This shit makes my eyes water.
13. Filthy - Yeah, I made a conscious decision to put this over No Hope, Gathered, and Climb even after admiting that “Climb” makes me fucking cry sometimes. Straight to hell with all the Aurora Jolie videos I go.
12. Moment - I’ve really tried to avoid listening to this song until Polymer is out, because I feel like I will play it the fuck out once I put it into regular rotation. Every verse has some stellar lines and the hook is beautiful.
11. Archetype - “Now who the fuck are you to judge me..” I really didn’t get into this song until Archetype was out for maybe a year or two. Donno how that happened, but both verses have immaculate flows. DELIVERY ON POINT, SON! That hook too!
10. Fast - Time to be serious again. Shit. This is still some of my favorite production Tone has ever done. I used to just enjoy this song for its sound and concept ~10 years ago.. but as you can guess, you perceive things a little differently 10 years later. This song is real as fuck, “because time will fight against you.” “Keep on movin’, cuz time is comin’ round..”
9. Narcissus - Alright, Next-Level Tonedeff makes another appearance at #9, because this shit is getting intense. Like, I thought “Masochist” was some shit in 2005. Um, 2015-Tonedeff is knocking, fuckers. Let him in. This production is wild and is accompanied by one of my favorite Tonedeff hooks to-date. Did I mention that “if you’ve got me all in your paws, you’re within the palm of my hand?”
8. Lucky - Um, greatest Extended Famm song to-date? I fucking think so. Go listen to it.. lucky muthafucka.
7. Glutton - I WANT MOARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (also the bridge is nice)
6. I Wish I Was Dead - Greatest Tonedeff feature everrrrr. Kno asked for a verse and Tone delivered a suicidal angel’s scripture. I’ll take it. Also the background vocals on the hook and the Deathly Thoughts interlude from CKC.. Man, this whole shit is FIRE. FIRE I TELL YOU.
5. Never Enough - When you’re sad and want to feel even worse, cuz that’s a logical desire, listen to this. The second iteration of the chorus fucking bangs and is some of the most beautiful music I’ve ever heard. I used to listen to this a lot.
4. The Distance - I remember listening to the snippet of this song before SJv1 was out and thinking something along the lines of “holy fucking shit” except way less explitive. Seriously though, as you can tell with me ranking “The Distance” at #4, I think this is one of Tone’s greatest achievements. It’s amazing storytelling fueled by honest, personal experiences. The verses are crafted and executed perfectly. The hook and outro are haunting. Kno is aight too I guess.
3. Demon - I lowkey was not into this song very much for the longest. I loved the bridge and that damn barrage of synth and drums and haunting vocal madness that follows it, but the verses were just lost on me. I knew I had to be missing something, particularly after seeing Timo praise the song on multiple occasions, so I set out to see what the fuck was wrong with me. Lo and behold it’s just one of Tone’s greatest technical and artistic achievements ever. No biggie. Every element of this song oozes anxiety, and maybe the fact I’ve been feeling more anxious than ever over the past couple months has something to do with the sudden realization and appreciation. I feel like this might be the best conceptual use of fast rapping ever. I don’t really understand how someone could write this type of shit, make it rhyme, and then say it so fucking fast.. and once again, that damn bridge and the insanity that follows it. Amazing. Seriously, bravo Tone.
2. Spiral - I would argue that this is the greatest Tonedeff (yeah, I said Tonedeff) song from a currently released album. That’s how I say “release CATM before we all die plz.” Moving on, this song also used to hit me hard with its subject matter and personal experiences at the time. The delivery of the vocals and arrangement of the keys and the use of those strings is just perfect. It could not have been executed better. What more can I say. (Side Note: I just noticed only 50 people ever supported this record on Bandcamp. What. The. Fuck.)
1. My Lady - I know CATM has been somewhat of a taboo topic lately, particularly on the cusp of Polymer’s release.. but I must say this this one time. There’s a reason I sat down in 2009 and made a lyric video (that I now wish I could edit) for this song instead of any other song by any other artist at the time and chose to stand in front of my bunch of doe-eyed pupils and attempt to explain why I gave a fuck about it. “My Lady” is simply beautiful. But it is so much more than a beautiful song. I think I speak on behalf of every blue schooler when I say that this song showcases that we have yet to witness the full potential of storytelling in Hip Hop and the best possible music to accompany and carry it along. Hope none of this chatter over the past ‘x’ years has turned the heat up too much. But in all honesty, “My Lady” is the biggest fucking tease ever. It is a very, very intriguing song that seems to fill in a small space of a much bigger picture. It’s like if da Vinci initially released a sketch of the Mona Lisa’s left nipple and made you wait a decade for the rest. It’s promising. (okay maybe that analogy wasn’t though) It’s.. man, I honestly don’t know. It’s hope for the future? Like legitimately I have a reason to live because one day you and Kno are going to release this collection of sounds and I anticipate it will make me cry, then maybe I can die a year or two after that. All because of this song. (okay and maybe the other songs and clues) Faith, son.

It’s 3AM, so I might’ve lost my mind somewhere along the way of writing this, but nonetheless it’s all true, dammit. I anticipate I might end up editing some of the “fuck"s and “shit"s out in the future.

I feel like I would have to put The Gates in there. Even though it’s technically a CL track, everything that Tone had to do with it made the song that much more magical. The way he portrayed the racist firefighter, the way his character went back and forth with Deacons character, and who could forget the unreleased verse from CKC. That might be my favorite CL track of all time and one of my personal favorite tracks from Tone. Absolutely stunning.

Good post HZ.

Crazy to me that Porcelain isn’t even on your list! haha

Something that comes up time and time again is that many of these incredible songs didn’t click with us properly until a long time after they’d come out. I’ve had this conversation with some of you before, but “My Lady” was just that weird slow song on the end of Asterisk 4 for at least a year (something I’m embarrassed by now, frankly). But it’s great to listen to this stuff and still find new depth to it all these years later.

That said, I loved Demon from the second I first heard it and it is legit my go-to Tonedeff song at all times haha

Epic Aesthetic said:Good post HZ.

Crazy to me that Porcelain isn’t even on your list! haha

Something that comes up time and time again is that many of these incredible songs didn’t click with us properly until a long time after they’d come out. I’ve had this conversation with some of you before, but “My Lady” was just that weird slow song on the end of Asterisk 4 for at least a year (something I’m embarrassed by now, frankly). But it’s great to listen to this stuff and still find new depth to it all these years later.

That said, I loved Demon from the second I first heard it and it is legit my go-to Tonedeff song at all times haha

I remember feeling the same about “My Lady” at first too. Like I just didn’t get it. I would definitely say I still regard Porcelain for its production, but over time I’ve just become less interested in it as a whole. Just not a go-to song for me.

My list would have a lot of overlap with a lot of the ones in this thread, but I just want to reply to say…

houstonz said:
19. Homecoming King - YEAH THAT’S RIGHT, FUCKIN HOMECOMING KING. NO ONE ELSE TALKS ABOUT THIS SHIT.

I wrote this once on SoundCircuit.com once, but I’m gonna write it again
For me Homecoming King is probably THE song that made me start to think past “mixing genres” to completely seeing past genre entirely
On a debut hip hop EP
He has a 94 second song in 7/4 time signature with a bit of a jazz swing to it with the ride cymbals and piano, you have some random drumrolls in the first 30 seconds, and then some hip hop sounding drums drop for just like 15 seconds. For the entire song he’s singing with almost a country twang in his voice that he doesn’t really have in the other songs And then you have that short quirky pitched up sample that only happens twice in the beginning, plus once more at the end
WTF?
It sounds absurd and random as fuck on paper, but its completely cohesive, and incredible in every way to me, and I really think it was instrumental in my thinking about wanting to both listen to and create music that ignores genre entirely in favor of doing whatever feels right for that particular song/idea. Homecoming King is a perfect song to me.

I just re-listened to Masochist for the first time in a while.

I honestly think that song is one of the best written tracks Tone has ever done, it is just absolutely chocked front to back with quotables and effortless flow. Most people’s albums don’t have the amount of depth that this song crams in - a relentless salvo of brutally honest and cutting poetic truths. It pulls off an amazing feat of being incredibly relatable and easy to follow, yet brimming with succulent rhetoric to digest on.

While there’s been plenty of shorter, snappier and more accessible songs made since - I can’t help but feel this is one of the most consistent, with almost every line feeling like a gut punch. Good shit.

Masochist might be my favorite song on Archetype as of right now. Although often times I switch between Masochist, Porcelain, Loyal, & Gathered for my favorite song on the album.

I’m starting to think it just might be completely impossible to narrow this down to one song when it comes to discussing what my favorite Tonedeff music. When I’m ready to say Demon, I think of The Distance. When I think of the Distance, I’m ready to say Spiral.

I can’t really think of one song that’s an easy choice for me over everything else hes done.

Okay yeah its between Spiral and Demon for me. Those would be my one and two but I’m not sure which is higher.

So I’m trying to process my thoughts on Polymer and work out which things resonate with me the most. “More Like You” is incredible and one of those songs I’ll go to when I need something sad, as will “Control” when I need something different and epic. The latter is no doubt one of Tone’s most impressive feats, but it’s still not necessarily my ‘favourite’ song.

Which leaves me looking at “The Things You Don’t See Coming”, “Phantom” and “Five Sisters”. I absolutely love all 3 of them in slightly different ways, but in any case think I’ll go back to them the most of the Polymer songs. They’re the tracks that will creep into other playlists and feature when my friends are round.

“Demon” was my last pick, but I think it’s been usurped.

Demon was my last pick as well (between that and Spiral anyway). However, now I thin it’s probably between Phantom and Control.

Oh wait… Sunrise (V2) needs serious consideration too. Polymer really didn’t fuck about, did it?

Epic Aesthetic said:Oh wait… Sunrise (V2) needs serious consideration too. Polymer really didn’t fuck about, did it?

I still think Demon is somewhere up there too. It isn’t #1 for me anymore but it’s definitely still in the top 5 or top 10.

I honestly can’t pick a favorite out of the new shit, but if it’s any indication at all: Phantom has been 100% stuck in my head these past few days.

I agree, the Phantom songs are all hard to choose from, they are on such a high caliber and kind of hard to compare his older stuff to. I am tempted to say Control is my all time #1 but it especially seems like it’s just on a completely different level than the rest; truly an epic. Five Sisters is great as well, More Like You is amazing but it’s about such personal material that I (luckily) can’t truly relate to most of the lyrics. Sunrise V2 is also in the running, love that choir ending.

They are all competing to bump Competitive Nature from my #1 spot. I still think that song is insane musically, really meaningful and I personally have connected/been helped by its message on a huge level. I respect it a lot.

Great thread, but I’ll never answer this question for a specific reason. His music has tattooed memories in the timeline of my life that I’ll have a special connection when I first heard the songs and therefore my relationship with them are connected to where I was in my life. That being said as my life changes my relationship with the songs do too as I grow as a person and experience new things in life.

I share this because very few artists are able to create this relationship with me. Like, Porcelain/Love Ain’t have their place in my history but will have new meaning as my love life does. I imagine a song like Optimist or the Distance will as well. More Like You will constantly evolve as my nonexistent relationship with my dad will. You get the point.

So Tonedeff, you’re the artist who I don’t have a favorite song of, you’re just making the soundtrack to a life that keeps trucking on until time’s up. Maybe on my death bed, I’d look back knowing I had the time of my life thinking Moment is my favorite song ever haha.

On point Kags. Although I see this thread as a living thing.. I’ve changed my mind plenty of times in the last few years.. and probably will plenty more times in the next month.

Right now it might just be “Five Sisters”.

Whilst it might not be the most ‘impressive’ track off of Polymer, I think it’s one that encapsulates everything about the album whilst being incredibly accessible and listenable. I will be bumping this whilst pre-drinking on a Friday night with my friends.. I’m probably not gonna play “Control” in the same circumstances.

That’s not to take away from it - it’s a great song that’s heavily honest, has impeccable flow and a gorgeous flowing chorus.

I’m probably going to have to go with Control as of right now. That song is just a beast on it’s own. From a pure writing standpoint Control might be Tones greatest achievement.