close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music in 2015

I’m kind of late to the crew Tom Scott of @Peace is with which is the Young Gifted and Broke, I think also known as the Home Brew Crew. They have a large collective of artists I didn’t know that Esther Stephens & The Means were part of the crew. I found out about Esther Stephens and the Means through Tom Scott but did not connect that they were in the same crew. That new Esther Stephens and the Means album is amazing and you need to check it out if you haven’t. It’s on soundcloud and bandcamp. But I’m here to now mention the new mixtape by Young Gifted and Broke and it’s pretty dope, in the middle of listening to it right now. Tom Scott has been one of my favorite emcees of the past 3 years since the Girl Songs album dropped and the Plutonian Noise Symphony is an epic classic that dropped last year and I’ve been spinning it like crazy the last few days. YGB has an amazing collective of talented artists.

tumblr_no7qb8LKYY1qg9rdao1_500.jpg

Young Gifted & Broke - “The Green Tape”

soundcloud: younggiftedandbroke

You can download it for free.

Also on mixcloud which has the tracklist, or so I’m told.

This mix is amazing. Talented singers, poets, rappers and the production is dope.

New Nacho Picasso mixtape produced by BSBD’s 88 Ultra, featuring a cameo by Zoe Wick.

a4143877480_16.jpg

https://ultraglacial.bandcamp.com/album/the-witchtape

New Incubus EP out today

This new project with Moon and Pollution/ No Bird Sing producer Graham O’Brien is streaming now on Spotify. It’s Camp Dark which is a new band featuring singer/song writer Adam Svec and producer/drummer Graham O’Brien.

a0714791818_10.jpg

Camp Dark - “Nightmare in a Day”

Available on Spotify and bandcamp now.

Bandcamp: campdark

Very dope album. Recommended if you like Radiohead, Bjork, and Portishead.

In other news preorders for Sister Crayon’s new album are up on iTunes, wonder if there will be physical CDs. Preorders come with an instant download of the first single “Armor”. Really looking forward to this, their last EP “Cynic” is really dope.

tumblr_no96wrJ5db1qdklr8o1_500.jpg

Sister Crayon - “Devoted”

Drops June 2nd in digital, CD and vinyl.

There’s a video for “Armor” on vimeo.

Also looking forward to Skyzoo’s new album dropping at the end of June. I’ve been sleeping on him over the years even though that Barrel Brothers album was one of my favorites from last year.

Also that latest song “Swimming” by Kotomi is outstanding. Don’t sleep.

Numonic said:This might be rock album of the year, not out yet but the 3 songs so far are riffing dope.

large.jpg

The Casanovas - “Terra Casanova”

You can listen to 3 tracks from the album on their soundcloud page. Soundcloud: thecasanovas

Album drops May 15th

So this album is pretty much out now. I don’t have it yet and I really want it. I’m a sucker for guitar riff solos which by the 4 songs off the album up on their soundcloud there is a lot of that on this album. Plus the vocals are nice. Just deciding whether it’s worth the shipping cost (it’s coming from Australia) or if I should wait for some online store here in the US to import and sell it. From the singles, it does have album of the year potential.

Edit: This is now on Spotify.

I know Tone was just talking about how rappers use that double time/fast flow with nothing to say behind the flow, I’m not sure if this is one of the cats he was talking about but I like this cat so far, a few tracks in to this album. Not sure if it has longevity but I like it right now and that’s what matters. Boombap/Sax loop fade beats too. Early 90’s hip hop sound.

a0720525312_10.jpg

Da Shogunz - “Da BlabberMouf LP: BackWitDaBoomAndBlabberastikRhymes”

bandcamp: dashogunz

So there’s this rapper I found about 10 years ago with his debut which was a really dope album with clever rhymes. I hadn’t really kept up with him over the years but he just released his 5th album. His name is Proverb, he’s a South African rapper, and I think he’s really big there. Dude can spit and has a nice flow and good ear for beats. You can listen to a sample of his new album “The Read Tape” on his label’s soundcloud page.

1000x1000xfront-only-3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.c0i0rq1qGH.jpg

Proverb - “The Read Tape”

Soundcloud: umgsa/proverbtape

I think it’s also up on Spotify.

Preorders for producer 2econd Class Citizen’s new album “A Hall of Mirrors” is up and you can listen to a sample of the album on the content label soundcloud page.

a1314178227_16.jpg

2econd Class Citizen - “A Hall of Mirrors”

Drops June 26th

Bandcamp powered online page: shop.thecontentlabel
Soundcloud: 2econdclasscitizen
Soundcloud: thecontentlabel

Is anyone else completely blown away by that Camp Dark album?

That Casanovas album is also mind blowing.

This place is dead, but I’ll keep on.

I mentioned this singer last year with her album release and a few days ago she basically released a reminder release to check out that album from last year with this new EP featuring a couple new tracks and remixes. She has a nice voice so check out this new EP and the album she released last year. The singer is My Brightest Diamond.

a4106675952_10.jpg

My Brightest Diamond - “I Had Grown Wild”

Bandcamp: mybrightestdiamond

And also check out her album from last year “This Is My Hand”. Nice production and vocals.

There’s a lot of releases dropping in June by the way.

Numonic said:This place is dead

fwiw, ive been consistently reading every one of your posts in the ‘Music in 20xx’ threads for at least a year, and generally get around to checking out any of the non-rap/rock stuff you post. i havent really been spending much time digging through new under-the-radar stuff, mostly just listening to old stuff, new stuff from established artists, so i don’t have too much to contribute, but ill try to check for anything you recommend (knowing you’re the only other person in the world who was initially as disappointed as i was that sedgie ogilvy stopped being in Child Actor, haha) so your posts are definitely appreciated.

While I’m posting, even though he has enough PR, no ones mentioned Shlohmo’s Dark Red…if you are a fan of the newer BSBD stuff (Glaciers), definitely check it out for more moody sprawling epic 7+ minute dark synthy instrumental hip hop goodness

Anyone listen to Barter 6? I haven’t.

AOTY so far for me…

homepage_large.a80bc5b2.jpg

Looking forward to Jamie XX - In Colour (6/2) and Ta-Ku - Songs to Make up To (6/23).

Thanks Amp, it’s all good, I just felt kind of weird being the only one posting in here for the last 10 days and pretty much the month save a couple of replies from others. Never saw it go quiet for that long.

By the way Amp I think you should check out that Camp Dark album I mentioned above. I think you’ll like it. Kind of on the trip-hop level I think. Graham O’brien who is in Moon and Pollution did the beats and the singing is nice.

amplifya said:While I’m posting, even though he has enough PR, no ones mentioned Shlohmo’s Dark Red…if you are a fan of the newer BSBD stuff (Glaciers), definitely check it out for more moody sprawling epic 7+ minute dark synthy instrumental hip hop goodness

I posted about the single “Buried” when that came out but forgot to post about the album when it dropped. I’ve been listening to this and the new Lapalux a lot, both awesome.

In regards to this thread.. no disrespect to Numonic but I feel like there are just too many albums posted for people to really sink into them added with the fact there just aren’t many active members in this forum. Personally, every time I look in here there’s like 5 or 6 new projects posted and basically no discussion on anything, which I think sucks.

I’d personally like us all to chip in and talk about specific projects more, kinda like a book/music club type thing. As is though, there’s just so much stuff here I can’t keep up with it.

Numonic said:Is anyone else completely blown away by that Camp Dark album?

Finally got to digest this. I did not dig Dixieland or Are You Hiding and so sorta pushed this off, but the rest of the album is excellent. I really dig Out for Blood. A quality listen, for sure; thanks like always for the recommendations.

I saw that DVRG provided the keys on the album, anyone know if Heiruspecs is up to anything?

Epic Aesthetic said:
In regards to this thread.. no disrespect to Numonic but I feel like there are just too many albums posted for people to really sink into them

Want to hear something scary. For every album I post in here I’ve listened to about 10 albums that I didn’t post because I either don’t like or don’t like enough to be worthy of a post. I know, crazy.

In other news, Kno put up a clip of a video for a new song he’s doing with Sadistik.

Speaking of clips, Vakill whom I haven’t heard a single bar from in years (this guy seriously releases no music for years between albums) released a video clip of a sample of some new music. Not sure if that means he’s close to releasing something. Scott A joked in the Vakill & Kno thread that we wouldn’t get his new album until 2016 and this was back in 2012. Looks like he might be right. I bet cats forgot Kno gave Vakill a beat that we’re still waiting to hear.

Also IMO 2013 was the best year for music in probably the past 10 years. While this year isn’t close to as good we are seeing projects from artists who made that year great. In June we’re getting a new Killah Priest album and a new Czarface album along with a good number of other albums I’m looking forward to. In July we get the 12 Reasons to Die part 2 from Ghostface and Adrian Younge. Just realized these are all Wu related projects.

Revision said:

Numonic said:Is anyone else completely blown away by that Camp Dark album?

Finally got to digest this. I did not dig Dixieland or Are You Hiding and so sorta pushed this off, but the rest of the album is excellent. I really dig Out for Blood. A quality listen, for sure; thanks like always for the recommendations.

I saw that DVRG provided the keys on the album, anyone know if Heiruspecs is up to anything?

You’re welcome. I don’t know anything about DVRG or Heirupecs.

New project from a producer I mentioned back in 2013: Hashfinger. Amplifya I think you’re familiar with him, I saw him on your soundcloud playlist sometime.

a3507016094_16.jpg

HashFinger - “Kites”

Bandcamp: Hashfinger

I think I would compare his beats to beats by The Cancel. Some soulful vocal samples. Pretty dope stuff IMO.

Here are some reviews of the project:

“Waves of melancholy ensure Kites features no monotony, seeping through densely structured compositions comprised of resounding layers relaying rustic instrumentation, delicately coerced with rugged-sounding yet intricately personified elements of instrumentalist hip-hop, stimulating a wondrous and refreshing effect through his organically produced melodies.
As if trying to depict multiple unspoken narratives, HashFinger possesses an inspired ability to portray sentiments and emotions through sound. Kites is yet another exemplary release, one that genuinely absorbs you into disconnecting from complexity, featuring twenty soundtracks capable of inducing both escapism and contemplation, a showcase of what is surely HashFingers most captivating material to date.” - WORDPLAY MAGAZINE

“Carefully extracting rhythms and clips from every day life, HashFinger seamlessly combines textured samples with memorable beats to form the 20 track album, KITES. The album courses through with elements of organic hits and rolls, all the meanwhile giving the listener layers of refreshing melodies. HashFinger is notorious for his chopping and slicing skills, and KITES easily displays this along with his ability to create a refined sound, unique within the world of instrumental hip-hop.” - NaraIsNear

“While we were away one of my favourite producers HashFinger returned to the scene with his new LP Kites, his first for two years. As you might expect from the Yorkshire native, it’s full of dusty melancholic sounds, matched with thumping drums that guide you through his narrative. At twenty tracks deep Kites is not a quick body of work but it’s one that you find deserves more than one play through to appreciate. Let HashFinger take you through a journey of jazzy nostalgia and hit play…” - The WordIsBond

Hey Epic Aesthetic I just found out about this rapper that reminds me a little of Nacho Picasso, but just a little. I never really got in to Nacho but I find this guy kind of interesting mainly because of some of his puns and rhyme schemes but the content is on some wild stuff. I think that and his voice kind of reminds me of Nacho. I’m curious what you think of him. His name is Sahtyre and he dropped a new album this month that you can stream on his soundcloud and bandcamp page. Disclaimer: someone mentioned this on the review of the album on the iTunes page, this dudes vocals go in and out at times, like he’s stepping away from the mic. Audio could have been mixed better.

I still think the music is worth mentioning.

a1197025815_10.jpg

Sahtyre - “LSD (Saga)”

Soundcloud: sahtyre
Bandcamp: sahtyre

Numonic said:Hey Epic Aesthetic I just found out about this rapper that reminds me a little of Nacho Picasso, but just a little. I never really got in to Nacho but I find this guy kind of interesting mainly because of some of his puns and rhyme schemes but the content is on some wild stuff. I think that and his voice kind of reminds me of Nacho. I’m curious what you think of him.

Good shout.

Just gave it a full listen but don’t think its up my alley generally. On the whole I’m not a big fan of the ignorant gangsta/trap-rap thing unless it’s either particularly funny or I’m in a serious guilty pleasure mood. Even though there were a few punchlines that made me smirk here, the guy seemed a little too weighted on the ignorant side of the ignorant/funny scale for me. I’ll probably give it a few more listens though.

In regards to Nacho, honestly I’ve been disappointed with the fact that everything he’s done since Exalted has been pretty weak. I only originally even gave him a chance because I wanted the BSBD production and then he slowly worked his way into my subconscious with his nonchalant witticisms and bizarre pop-culture references. Even though he’s pretty ignorant, he tends to be quite self-deprecating and doesn’t really take himself too seriously, which sits a little better with me.

Nacho has been going downhill for me since Exalted.

a0227811730_16.jpg
Perry Smoove- Joy
Bandcamp: perrysmoove
Soundcloud: perrysmoove

Those of you who like jazzy hip hop, like myself, might dig this release (free for download on bandcamp). I like it when artists really just groove with the beat—maybe every flow isn’t perfect and maybe the album doesn’t hold together. But if the artist is really digging the music, it is infectious for me. This cat does that.

Revision, thanks for that Perry Smoove. Sounds very fresh so far. Love the jazzy hiphop. The rapping is cool too. Dope stuff thanks.

This year has been a lot better for music than I thought, looking back the last several months, at least in my opinion. 2013 was awesome but looking back it wasn’t that much better than the years following. June is about to really turn up the heat, no pun intended.

Numonic said:This year has been a lot better for music than I thought, looking back the last several months, at least in my opinion. 2013 was awesome but looking back it wasn’t that much better than the years following. June is about to really turn up the heat, no pun intended.

I agree with this sentiment a lot. I’m probably more sour on 2014 than most on this board-very little spoke to me (Hunter, SJv.3, Cadillactica, Black Messiah…and a few tracks here and there). I think 2015 has actually been a revelation in terms of music and the stuff on the horizon has me very excited. And the bad stuff even seems a little less objectionable this year (and on cue ‘Pretty Girls’ comes on in the office…fuck).

I know I mentioned this one already but some time has passed and I must urge everyone to take an in-depth look at this album. Beautifully sad and honest, and even pretty catchy. You might just hear it and think, “Ok, Elliot Smith.” but to me, this is way better than anything I ever heard from Elliot Smith.

a2231815864_10.jpg

You can really go front to back on this thing but the highlights for me are the first 8 songs.

The new Sister Crayon album “Devoted” is now streaming on soundcloud: rodriguezlopezproductions

Numonic said:

tumblr_no96wrJ5db1qdklr8o1_500.jpg

Sister Crayon - “Devoted”

Drops June 2nd in digital, CD and vinyl.

There’s a video for “Armor” on vimeo.

Also I’m not sure if there are any fans of FakeFourInc artist Tommy V but I’m a huge fan and his latest album: “Travel Size Drawing Board” was just released on CD. It dropped digitally last December. Now available in CD format for sale on bandcamp. I snatched one up quickly. Comes with 3 new bonus tracks too.

a3926338533_16.jpg

Tommy V - “Travel Size Drawing Board”

Bandcamp: fakefour

I’ll give that Sufjan Stevens a proper listen. I tried a little before I think, didn’t really stick with me. I’ll give it another shot.

Revision said:

Numonic said:This year has been a lot better for music than I thought, looking back the last several months, at least in my opinion. 2013 was awesome but looking back it wasn’t that much better than the years following. June is about to really turn up the heat, no pun intended.

I agree with this sentiment a lot. I’m probably more sour on 2014 than most on this board-very little spoke to me (Hunter, SJv.3, Cadillactica, Black Messiah…and a few tracks here and there). I think 2015 has actually been a revelation in terms of music and the stuff on the horizon has me very excited. And the bad stuff even seems a little less objectionable this year (and on cue ‘Pretty Girls’ comes on in the office…fuck).

I wasn’t speaking of the music scene as a whole (i.e. what the radio stations are playing. I never listen to that), just of the results of my digging. Sure I’ve come across some bad, more bad than good as is natural but I think I’ve come across just as much good music if not more this year compared to the last 3 years and definitely more than I’ve come across in any year of the first decade of this century. I’m sure that’s obvious from all the posts I make. I think 2015 will end being the best year for music so far this century, almost halfway through and it kind of already is.

Edit: actually I think I’m letting quantity overshadow quality. There are a lot of good albums this year but not as many flawless albums as I felt dropped last year. 2014 was a hell of a year. Still 7 months left in this year and I’m expecting a lot.

The Trashman said:You might just hear it and think, “Ok, Elliot Smith.” but to me, this is way better than anything I ever heard from Elliot Smith.

Took the words out of my mouth and is the reason I only gave it a couple spins. I’ll give it another try.