close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music in 2015

mattthegod said:I thought the new JMT album was more interesting than their last 2 albums. Maybe its because Stoupe had something to do with it? I mean I really did love the production. Vinnie is Vinnie… I enjoy his music for what it is but it never blew me away.

Yeah i feel you. I gave this album more spins than their previous ones but it still didn’t stick like the albums from the glory days. Since that “Servants in Heaven Kings in Hell” album, i’ve lost all interest. The only song from the last album that i can name off the top of my head is Lemarchand’s Box. That song is dope.

I really wonder how i would’ve rated this album if it was released 10 years ago. My taste in Hiphop has really mellowed out with age. I still regard Legacy of Blood as one of the best albums in Hiphop ever, maybe i wouldn’t if it was released today, nostalgia is a bitch.

Latest (non QN5 related) song i fell in love with is First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKL4X0PZz7M

Such a far cry from anything i’d listen to back then lol. Beautiful song though, i love their harmony. They would flawlessly fit on a future Built to Fade album.

LostCauze said:

mattthegod said:I thought the new JMT album was more interesting than their last 2 albums. Maybe its because Stoupe had something to do with it? I mean I really did love the production. Vinnie is Vinnie… I enjoy his music for what it is but it never blew me away.

Yeah i feel you. I gave this album more spins than their previous ones but it still didn’t stick like the albums from the glory days. Since that “Servants in Heaven Kings in Hell” album, i’ve lost all interest. The only song from the last album that i can name off the top of my head is Lemarchand’s Box. That song is dope.

I really wonder how i would’ve rated this album if it was released 10 years ago. My taste in Hiphop has really mellowed out with age. I still regard Legacy of Blood as one of the best albums in Hiphop ever, maybe i wouldn’t if it was released today, nostalgia is a bitch.

Latest (non QN5 related) song i fell in love with is First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKL4X0PZz7M

Such a far cry from anything i’d listen to back then lol. Beautiful song though, i love their harmony. They would flawlessly fit on a future Built to Fade album.

Yeah. I think my whole thing is they gave me a little bit more than what I expected. When Stoupe is on point he can be one of the best producers in hip hop. I always liked the aggression of Paz as well. Paz isn’t a spectacular artist but I respect him for what he does.

Friis said:And it’s not just A studio - It’s Kno and DJ FlipFlop’s new Dirty Decibels Studios.

The second work from the studio came out (I think) a few weeks ago with DJ FlipFlop’s production on Illmaculate and OnlyOne’s new album (bandcamp: illmaculate) on the track “Met Her Through a Friend.” It is a pretty nice track. Very cool production.

Been busy but trying to get back in to this music life.

Like I said this Steven A Clark LP “The Lonely Roller” is really dope. Don’t sleep.

SC301-SAC_FC-1425-RGB.jpg

I still have to check out that new Blackalicious album and the new Wordsworth album.

I heard some of the new Paris album “Pistol Politics”. I have to give it more listens.

The Australian band I’ve been following since last year I Know Leopard has a new 4 track EP out too.

a3703238514_10.jpg

I Know Leopard - Another Life

Soundcloud: iknowleopard
Bandcamp: iknowleopard

Portland, Oregon band Rare Monk has a new 4 track EP dropping in November. You can listen to the first single “Warning Pulse” off of it on soundcloud and bandcamp.

a2906865883_10.jpg

Rare Monk - “Rare Monk EP”

Bandcamp: b3scirecords
Soundcloud: raremonk

Oh yeah, big news Average Rap Band will release videos for every song off their debut EP this coming week. Can’t wait for that.

Mic Lanny has a new mixtape. It’s on some trap music parody comedy shit it seems but dudes nice on the mic.

a3835749539_10.jpg

Mic Lanny - “Forty Spice”

Bandcamp: pigfoodrecords

Oh yeah artist I mentioned last year Kishi Bashi released a new live album, I have to check it out. Edit: oh wait, this doesn’t drop until November.

a1982487073_10.jpg

Kishi Bashi - String Quartet Live

Bandcamp: kishibashi

J-Zen also dropped a new album, this one with rap features. Still have to check this out too.

a0888041214_10.jpg

J-Zen - Managua

Bandcamp: jzen

Oh and I still have to check out the new Emancipator album, he release a live album pretty recently too which I have to check out.

a0614236866_10.jpg

Emancipator - Seven Seas

Bandcamp: emancipator

Edit: This emancipator album is dope

Man I have so catching up to do.

Oh yeah, glad to hear that Prolyphic is working on a new album. He dropped a new song and week ago.

Grizzly Gato is also working on their sophomore album, and they have a new single and video featuring Homeboy Sandman. Haven’t seen the video yet, but I will soon.

Sister Crayon has a new podcast called Side Side Hustle, talking about the regular day jobs most independent artists have to do to make ends meet. Not sure if the first episode released but there is a really good video trailer of it.

Can’t wait for this new a Brenk Sinatra instrumental album to drop October 16th.

a1109361228_10.jpg

Brenk Sinatra - Midnite Ride

Bandcamp: hectormecello

Son Little’s new album is also dropping October 16th.

a1537031439_10.jpg

Bandcamp: sonlittle

Halloween is close and so is Monsters 6.66 by Figure. Dropping October 6th.

hqdefault.jpg

This Tunes For Terror Rock horror mix by Figure from last year is no longer up on soundcloud but it is still up on mixcloud. Get your Halloween on.

artworks-000093846186-0tkicn-t300x300.jpg

Figure - “Tunes for Terror (A Extravaganza of Horror and Rock N Roll)

Description:

” I thought I’d make a mix of a couple of my favorite horror punk and rotten rockabilly tunes all mashed in with some good old movie trailers. Perfect Halloween party music!

1. Psycho Charger - Channel 13-Interlude
2. Dead Kennedy’s - Halloween-Zombi trailer
3. Hellbound Saints - Skeleton Stomp- Suspiria trailer 
4. Captain Clegg & The Night Creatures - Death Wish Man- Night of the Living Dead interlude
5. The Cramps - I was a Teenage Werewolf
6. Vic Mizzy - Uncle Fester’s Blues- Blood-O-Rama Shock Festival trailer
7. The Misfits - Braineaters- Horror Chamber of Blood and Gore ad
8. Zombina and the Skeletons - Island of Zombina- Psycho ad
9. The Meteors - Corpse Grinder
10. Franctics - Werewolf
11 Southern Culture On the Skids - Devil’s Stomping Grounds -Zacherle - Happy Halloween”

Mixcloud: figure

Handbook released a new instrumental album also “Botanicals”. He released another new one shortly before this also recently.

a0939252710_10.jpg

Handbook - “Botanicals”

Bandcamp: handbook

Oh I also have to check out that Big Grams album by Big Boi and Phantogram.

Did I forget anything….? I’ll add on if I did.

Oh yeah and 3rd quarter of 2015 just finished. A lot of dope releases in 3rd quarter 2015 but hands down best release of the quarter goes to Kno and Sadistik’s Phantom Limbs album.

No dis but they should make a parody of people who only know of that kind of rap music complaining about rap music while someone next to them is playing rap from rappers that are actually saying something and rapping with technical skill. That would also be true, funny, and sad. I know that is not you 2 by four but there are those type of people out there that think that that’s the only type of rap out.

Son Little’s new album is streaming in full on NPR.

Average Rap Band has been releasing a new video everyday for the last few days for songs off their debut album. Check them out on youtube. Some dope stuff.

I gotta check this new Jared Paul rap album out when I get a chance, been listening to him for years. He has that Rhode Island sound. Found out of him through Sage Francis many years ago and listened to some of his poetry and songs. Only got a chance to listen to the first few tracks of this new album so far but I liked what I heard. Gotta find time to listen to the rest. Ceschi’s featured on this.

a1683157662_10.jpg

Get My Ghost by Jared Paul

Bandcamp: blackboxtapes

New (well unreleased) Batsauce project. Just listening now, I recognize the first beat from his first Beat A Day series. Edit: beautifully dope project. Batsauce is one of my favorites, I made a racket about him when that Starcrossed album dropped. I still think it’s one of the best albums ever.

a3060050685_10.jpg

Batsauce - “More Amour”

Bandcamp: batsauce

Numonic said:Son Little’s new album is also dropping October 16th.

First spin through this and this is kinda awesome. The way it builds layers of music on top of one another to create a rich sound is really great. As far as soul albums go, this is one of the best in a very great year.

Seriously, the stuff in this loosely-fit genre of soul-ish that has come out since Black Messiah last year is absolutely amazing. D’Angelo’s album, The Internet’s album, the Ibeyi album, Hiatus Kaiyote’s album, and now this Son Little album are all absolutely jaw dropping. And very different from one another giving a really cool sound. Each of these would be in the top-10 soul-inspired albums of the last decade and they’ve appeared packed into 10 months. My headphones are going to break from all this awesomeness. (And that’s not even counting the soul-ish aspects on Peace or Power and To Pimp a Butterfly.)

Revision said:

Numonic said:Son Little’s new album is also dropping October 16th.

First spin through this and this is kinda awesome. The way it builds layers of music on top of one another to create a rich sound is really great. As far as soul albums go, this is one of the best in a very great year.

Seriously, the stuff in this loosely-fit genre of soul-ish that has come out since Black Messiah last year is absolutely amazing. D’Angelo’s album, The Internet’s album, the Ibeyi album, Hiatus Kaiyote’s album, and now this Son Little album are all absolutely jaw dropping. And very different from one another giving a really cool sound. Each of these would be in the top-10 soul-inspired albums of the last decade and they’ve appeared packed into 10 months. My headphones are going to break from all this awesomeness. (And that’s not even counting the soul-ish aspects on Peace or Power and To Pimp a Butterfly.)

Word I love the new Son Little album but the record label I preordered the CD from sent me the digital download in m4a format. I can’t seem to find any player on my android that can play m4a. I just streamed it on bandcamp last night but i want the digital download and I’m not trying to purchase the album again just to have it in mp3 even though it is a really amazing album. Revision I know you wanted to do me a favor before, can you do me a favor now. If I send you the new Son Little album in m4a format can you convert it to mp3 for me with the titles of the songs and all? I don’t seem to have the time to do that.

I suppose I could also just ask the record label to send me an mp3 version but not sure if they would. Edit: I just sent an email to the record label asking for an mp3 version, hopefully they come through.

Edit: Thanks for the mp3 version Revision. Album is amazing.

Numonic said:My girl Montaigne has a new song that is outstanding. Hands down this is song of the year and that includes any genre of music.

artworks-000127423795-lv90d6-t500x500.jpg

Montaigne - “Clip My Wings”

Soundcloud: montaignemusic

And if you’re new to her check out her EP “Life of Montaigne” on Spotify. It dropped last year. She also has a couple other songs up on her soundcloud page: montaignemusic

She is one of my favorite singers today. She’s been working hard in the studio, last I heard she had like 80 songs waiting to be released.

The video for this song is now available to watch in the US on youtube. It’s amazing.

all of Handbooks stuff as well as the Batsauce album is Name Your Price…throwing all of this on the ipod to listen to at work tomorrow, good stuff, thanks numonic!

other than lots of CunninLynguists-related stuff, ive been listening to the new KRIT mixtape “It’s Better This Way” a lot, as well as Philly instrumental band Grimace Federation…they are super dope to me, especially their song “Bosico” from their old EP, and are apparently helping with production on the next Aesop Rock LP (besides having done a few tracks with him)

amplifya said:ive been listening to the new KRIT mixtape “It’s Better This Way” a lot

Thanks for this. Not often on the mixtape radar, so pointing me to interesting ones is much appreciated.

KRIT is probably the only artist in the world who would release a “mixtape” with DJ Drama yelling all over it in 2015, and I’ll still listen to it and think its incredible.

Oh snap! Fuzz has a new album dropping October 23rd. It’s titled “II” and you can hear it on NPR right now. 2013 they dropped one of the best album’s of the year IMO. Charles Moothart is insane on the guitar.

150722-fuzz-560x560.jpg

Fuzz - “II”

This new album from Oddisee called The Good Fight is amazing. Hes one of my favorite artists in hip hop right now though so I expected nothing less than to love it.

I’m finally giving Broken Bone Ballads a listen. This is actually my first time listening to a Ceschi album in full.

Okay so if this counts as a double post then please just add it to the one above. I had realized that I had not given my current top 5 releases of the year so far as yet. If I had to put them in order then this is how it would look right now:

1. Deacon the Villain- Peace or Power
2. Ceschi- Broken Bone Ballads
3. Sadistik & Kno- Phantom Limbs
4. Oddisee- The Good Fight
5. Bjork- Vulnicura

The Good Fight and Phantom Limbs could easily be switched so if those are still in my list by the end of the year and Good Fight is higher then its because of how much I love those projects equally and how they could easily be switched. Honorable Mentions would be Sheisty Khrist & Lo Fidel- Cold Winter, Kendrick Lamar- To Pimp A Butterfly, & Devine Carama- A Vintage Love Supreme.

1 Toro Y Moi - Samantha
2 Sadistik & Kno - Phantom Limbs
3 Toro Y Moi - What For?
4 Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
5 Drake - If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late

Runners Up:
SremmLife/In Colour/Mr. Wonderful/To Pimp A Butterfly/Broken Bone Ballads/Peace or Power/ 12 Reasons to Die 2/ STS X RJD2 / Fetty Wap / Rodeo / Big Grams EP

Anyone like the new Adele song? Really looking forward to her new album.

Looking at your all’s top-5s and it occurs to me that I might have a bad case of ‘Last Album Syndrome’ on some of these releases.
1. My initial thoughts on Vulnicura was “It is ok, but her last album was unbelievable,” so I didn’t give it its due.
2. The Good Fight same thing “That was ok, but his last album Tangible Dream was great.” so it didn’t work itself in.
Same type of thing with Sufjan and 12 Reasons to Die 2. So, thanks for reminding me to give them more spins!

Looked at plays and Cold Winter is what I’ve played most this year. Havana Nights, Save Me, and the Remix of Superman 75 are the top three songs I’ve played most from 2015 so far. So…loving that album.

Also surprised how little I play To Pimp a Butterfly anymore. I was spinning the album nonstop for two weeks and haven’t touched it in months now. That shit happens…some of the albums don’t have staying power. We’ll see.

Revision said:Looking at your all’s top-5s and it occurs to me that I might have a bad case of ‘Last Album Syndrome’ on some of these releases.
1. My initial thoughts on Vulnicura was “It is ok, but her last album was unbelievable,” so I didn’t give it its due.
2. The Good Fight same thing “That was ok, but his last album Tangible Dream was great.” so it didn’t work itself in.
Same type of thing with Sufjan and 12 Reasons to Die 2. So, thanks for reminding me to give them more spins!

Looked at plays and Cold Winter is what I’ve played most this year. Havana Nights, Save Me, and the Remix of Superman 75 are the top three songs I’ve played most from 2015 so far. So…loving that album.

Also surprised how little I play To Pimp a Butterfly anymore. I was spinning the album nonstop for two weeks and haven’t touched it in months now. That shit happens…some of the albums don’t have staying power. We’ll see.

See for me I actually prefer The Good Fight over Tangible dream, Although Tangible Dream was still an amazing project.

Bjork’s last album before this one while great was one of her weaker projects to me. The great thing about Bjork though is that even her weaker projects are usually still some of the best music to come out that year. I definitely prefer Vulnicura over her last album. Even with me saying that though its not as good as a Homogenic, Vespertine, Post, or Medulla. Like I said though, I still love Biophilia, its just one of her weaker projects to me. I do think it is a better album than Volta though. Volta would probably be my least favorite Bjork album personally.

mattthegod said:See for me I actually prefer The Good Fight over Tangible dream, Although Tangible Dream was still an amazing project. Bjork’s last album before this one while great was one of her weaker projects to me.

So, I’ll give you Good Fight, which I’m glad you all redirected me towards. But we’re gonna have to disagree about Vulnicura which didn’t and still isn’t working for me. But whatever, different tastes. That’s what makes the world interesting. Having said that: Totally excited about Vulnicura Strings which seems like it will have the parts I liked about the album without the parts that didn’t work for me.

The first full length aCatCalledFritz album (bandcamp of the same name) has come out. It is quite good production and has Kokayi on it doing his funky thing.

Things I’m digging:
Semi-Hendrix- Breakfast at Banksy’s. Tracks 1-5, I was thinking a bust, but then it really turned on the last half of the project. One of those weird albums where more features might have been better. But it was generally quality.

Tropic of Cancer- Stop Suffering EP. I’m way into sparse production right now-maybe just anticipating Polymer which will not be sparse, so I gotta get it in while I can. And really digging this.

CeeLo- Heart Blanche. This guy is so hit or miss for me, but this album’s got some fun tracks and whoever produced it earned their paycheck.

I know I’m preaching to the choir but Deacon the Villain’s album is outstanding. I was blasting it in the car on this gorgeous sunny Sunday. It was just perfect. I haven’t been listening to much “new” music (i know with me the word “new” is relative and different from others who aren’t obsessed with music as I am) I know I’m “Mr. Exclusive” but I’ve just been busy as hell with other stuff the last 2 months. After this week I will have a little bit more free time and I’ll get back on my music grind with new music and I guess a best of the year list as it’s already that time of the year but compared to other posters on this board I’ve still posted a lot of albums and music in this thread this year. Hope cats check it all out, even on this page alone there are many gems. I have to do my homework on what’s dropping in 2016 so I can make my 2016 anticipated releases list. I have a few off head but too busy to do now. Until next week peace.

From my limited knowledge, Tone is the originator of the multiple EPs=one LP system. And I think it is awesome, Substantial is killing his version of that, and would love more of the artists that I dig embracing this format if it suits them. If someone else did this before in such a clear manner (as opposed to just making a couple EPs and then throwing together a full LP eventually), I’d be down to hear.

Either way: Ghost against Ghost (Bandcamp: oursilentcanvas) Chris Bono’s and drummer from the Mars Volta electronica-rock project is doing the same thing. Just released their first EP of what will eventually be a full album. The Still Love EP is interesting and constructed in a cool way. Either way, if the Polymer archetype (wink wink) becomes more regular for artists I dig…cool. I like the different way of listening that it encourages in this digital era.

Oh Snap! One of the dopest producers, Cuth has a new project dropping this month. It’s with another UK rapper named Teej. Heard a little from this rapper and so far sounds nice, nice multisylabic rhymes. This is mad dope news. The album is up for preorder and drops November 23rd. Cuth is one of the best producers out, only one better I can think of is Kno. Preordering with the quickness.

a0698944358_10.jpg

Teej & Cuth - Seven Ages

Bandcamp: teejandcuth

Also John McGrew has a video on Periscope of his outstanding band Apollo Run working on some new music.

Also the new Kishi Bashi live compilation is out now.

a1982487073_10.jpg

Kishi Bashi - String Quartet Live

Bandcamp: kishibashi

Oh in other news, a peek in to what’s coming in 2016, Astronautalis has a new album dropping in 2016 and the first single titled “Sike!” can be heard on youtube right now. I love his This Is Our Science album, been waiting for a new album from him.

Dr. Dundiff (bandcamp: drdundiff) who tore up the SheistyxLoFidel remix of Cold Winter just released a fun EP called ‘Rare Candies.’ Production is perfect for the high energy hip hop on the release. The track ‘Charlie Day’ is great goofy nonsense for any Always Sunny fans. And there are videos too on Youtube (links from the bandcamp page) which are must watch if for no other reason than checking out the awesome beard growth. Guy is good and I’m looking forward to future projects for sure.

Some synth heavy dance music out of France. Souleance, I’ve mentioned these guys before.

a1508368409_10.jpg

Souleance - Tartare

Bandcamp: souleance
Soundcloud: souleance

Also new song by Pig Food Records rappers

a1085344844_10.jpg

Pig Food Records - The Fork & Knife

Bandcamp: pigfoodrecords

There’s a video for this on youtube too.

Speaking of singles I think it’s time for a new mix of singles that dropped after that last post of singles I made back in April.

Are there even any other projects left to drop this year besides the Raremonk (which is only 4 songs), the Teej & Cuth album and oh yeah Torae is dropping an album in December, I hope it’s better than Skyzoo’s which was a disappointment IMO compared to the Barrel Brothers album.