close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music in 2015

Numonic, my friend:

I’d PM you this if the boards still had PMs.

Choosing between two PT programs this week, was wondering if you might have time to shoot the shit regarding your experiences in your program so far.

Holler - dedicate.every.sound@gmail.com

New Dezmatic under the name “nobody likes a racist” Dopeness. It’s weird his voice sounds a little different. That in combination with no mention of his name had me questioning if this was really him or someone that sounds really close to how he sounds. But Dez himself retweeted this so it’s him. If you’re not familiar by the name, Dezmatic is 1/3rd of the rap group that I spoke about last year: Giant Gorilla Dog Thing. Horse was one of the best albums last year, was just listening to it yesterday.

a1792032496_10.jpg

Nobody Likes A Racist

Bandcamp: nobodylikesaracist

Also if you follow Pig Food Records, I think what Dood Computer aka Mitch said on it is dope and I think Tonedeff can relate with running QN5 and releasing Polymer and all. Not saying QN5 is bad with order shipments just the whole “Herculean effort” as Tone puts it takes running the label and making and releasing the music and all and getting no money for it. Anyway I hope people don’t find it as a tldr.

Here is what Mitch said:

“WE’RE WORKING ON IT.

There are some things that for a while now, I’ve thought needed to be said. Maybe they don’t, I’m not sure. All I know is that we’ve been doing this Pig Food Records thing for over 4 years now, and we don’t really have much of a catalog to show for it. We don’t release a project every month. Shit, sometimes we don’t even release a project every 6 months. To some, that may make it appear that this is just something we do for shits and giggles. To an extent, it is. But to a much larger extent, that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Pig Food Records is Dezmatic and Dood Computer. It’s Dan and Mitch. It’s really just been the two of us since the beginning. It’s been our time, our money, our connections, our vision, and our execution on everything the label name has ever been attached to. We have always been of the belief that any artistic endeavor that we decide to bring to life, should first exist on a solid foundation of friendship and mutual respect. Why? Because frankly, we’re not making any money. When the idea of some kind of immense financial gain is removed from the equation, the idea of basing decisions on anything other than friendship and talent becomes ridiculous.

We made the decision from day 1 that anything we ever decided to do, we would do the best way we possibly could. No shitty sounding mixes. No shitty looking album art. No ideas that had already been beaten to death by our peers. No half-ass promotion of shows. No last minute changes to release dates. Essentially, our plan was to make everything matter, and avoid releasing anything disposable at all costs. For the most part, I believe we’ve stuck to that philosophy. As we continue to move forward as a label, it’s something we cling to even tighter. As a result, things tend to get spaced out even MORE; ironically, making us seem less productive.

While in California a few weeks ago, Dan and I got involved in a conversation with someone that led us to actually count the amount of upcoming releases slated for PFR. Eleven. Eleven fucking releases. Granted, they’re in varying stages of completion, but there are eleven of them. Some are from artists that we’ve worked with from the gate. Others are from people you already love, but didn’t know we were friends with. Then, there’s a whole third category of upcoming releases that can’t even go under either of those headings… different types of releases and collaborations that we’re excited about specifically because they’re things we’ve never seen executed or even attempted before. We want to tell you about all of them, all the time, but that would be stupid. Suffice it to say, it’s impossibly difficult for either of us to even choose which ones to be the most excited for. That’s the thing though, we’re excited for them because making and releasing music is what we love. It’s what we’re good at. However, as a strictly two-man operation, there are things we’re not good at.

We fucking suck at shipping webstore orders. We’re terrible at it. Sometimes, it takes almost 2 months for one of us to actually get around to going to the post office. We’re working on it, I promise.

We fucking suck at social media. We know HOW to not suck at social media, but sometimes it just seems like there aren’t enough hours in the day. We’re working on it.

We fucking suck at updating this website. If you looked at it last month, you probably would have thought that Pig Food Records stopped existing 6 months prior, and we were just waiting for our hosting plan to expire. We’re working on it.

A lot of the issues that we deal with revolve around this simple idea – if we were constantly telling you what we were doing, there wouldn’t be any time to actually do it. There is a delicate balance that exists between the two, and as an independent label in what I would still consider our infancy, it’s one that we can admit to not yet having mastered. We’re working on it.

Maybe you needed to know that, maybe you didn’t. Regardless, Daniel and I want to express our heartfelt appreciation and gratitude for sticking with us thus far on the journey. Thank you. As cliche as it may sound, we really are just getting started.

Love,

Mitch.

Oh, and Brain Cave Deluxe is going to change your fucking life.”

I cannot stop listening to this song, it gets me every time:-

http://youtu.be/mVR10CD2Alk

He has a new album coming out in April which I’m looking forward to.

^ thanks for posting that. That track was dope. I’ll keep my eye out for the album.

Drake’s new record is great.

New Toro Y Moi LP is up for pre-order

So I only just listened to the singles from the upcoming album from the Prodigy, liking this a lot:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AaKBbNGkk

prodigy-day-is-my-enemy-schpunk-essex.jpg

Damn, a month without posting music. I’ve been insanely busy with other stuff, it sucks. I know there’s some new dope stuff that dropped in February that I want to mention to you guys and I will catch up with it soon. So damn busy.

hell yes, im a pretty big fan of lapalux’s album Nostalchic. looking forward to his new one.

Gonna try and post here more often this year. Anybody know about Doomtree? a2790880988_10.jpg I know Dessa is a part of the group and I like her music a lot. Figured you guys might know something about them.

I’ve never really been a fan of the whole collective besides Dessa. Dug some stuff off POS’s ‘Audition’ and a few songs from their first, self-titled group record, but that’s it..

I cant remember who put me onto Lisa Leblanc. Different shit for sure, but Im digging it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qj4TFkzfo

Way overdue for an update in here.

New Young Planet (Cidida & Eibol) dropped at the end of February.

a0163514146_10.jpg

Young Planet - “Snow Ocean”

Bandcamp: youngplanet
Soundcloud: youngplanet

Their last release “New Fast Automatic” is a masterpiece. Get the Ludwig album too. I mentioned these guys a good number of times on this board but never got any reception from anyone. Anyway, I love their music.

Also been looking forward to this DJ Scientist and Fulgeance release that dropped in February.

a0708324188_10.jpg

Fulgeance & DJ Scientist - “The Soviet Tape: Volume 1”

Bandcamp: thesoviettape

New Purity Ring is dope. You can get the colored vinyl for $20 shipped at 4AD.

I’m a pretty big Doomtree fan. I wasn’t the biggest fan of All Hands when it dropped, but now I love it. I love the punk/electric beats Lazerbeak lays now and how he layers the rappers voices. Like on the song, Cabin Killer, it’s almost eerie and creepy with all the subtleties. Some of my other favorites are, Heavy Rescue, 80 on 80, Mini Brute, The Bends, Off in the deep, and Marathon. All the rappers basically delivered, Sims being the weakest and Dessa being the strongest in my opinion. I wished Cecil was used more, I understand he also helped produce the album, so I guess he’s efforts were maximized.

With their past work, No Kings was solid, not as cohesive as this project. Sims was again the weakest, but it also had some of my favorite Doomtree tracks to date. Their first full length album was pretty amazing in my opinion. It wasn’t as punk/electric as their other work and all the rappers were solid throughout, even Sims. It’s a long album, so there are some misses though. And their False Hope records are pretty decent.

As the rappers solo work goes. It’s not as good. Dessa is always great and POS usually delivers, especially with Never Better. Cecil’s Rebel Yellow and Sim’s Lights out Paris is pretty good as well. I like Mike Mictlan as a part of Doomtree, not so much by himself.

The Trashman said:New Purity Ring is dope. You can get the colored vinyl for $20 shipped at 4AD.

Nice… this flew under my radar… I’ll check this out tonight with my gf.

How is it compared to Shrines?

I might like it more than Shrines, but it’s pretty much what you’d expect—chill but creepy electropop.

for those who missed it…

Kendrick Lamar’s next album is called “To Pimp a Butterfly” and drops March 23rd…

kendrick-pimp-butterfly.jpg?w=700&h=700

Numonic said:Way overdue for an update in here.

New Young Planet (Cidida & Eibol) dropped at the end of February.

a0163514146_10.jpg

Young Planet - “Snow Ocean”

Bandcamp: youngplanet
Soundcloud: youngplanet

Their last release “New Fast Automatic” is a masterpiece. Get the Ludwig album too. I mentioned these guys a good number of times on this board but never got any reception from anyone. Anyway, I love their music.

Just downloaded this now (at nearly 2am).
I’m not sure if it was your recommendation, Numonic, but I checked out New Fast Automatic on recommendations from this board (that I rarely check out, to be honest) and I love it! I really can’t understand why these guys are putting out music at this high quality without even the option of giving them money (i.e. “Free Download”, not “Pay what you like”). Outside of the QN5 camp, New Fast Automatic is probably my most listened to album these days…

I’ll try to get back to this thread with my opinion on Snow Ocean.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:for those who missed it…

Kendrick Lamar’s next album is called “To Pimp a Butterfly” and drops March 23rd…

I’m really looking forward to this. I hope 2015 has a better turn out for mainstream hip hop than last year.

That album cover looks fucking sick btw!

Quality cover art for sure, I haven’t been completely on board since Section.80 but then again, he is running shit.

The Lone Wolf- Marcus D

Marcus D- The Lone Wolf LP released two days ago.
I can’t get beyond Substantial on ‘Blank Canvas.’ Dope track.

On Bandcamp: https://marcusd.bandcamp.com/album/the-lone-wolf-lp

^ Yessssssss.

“Ayahuasca” in particular is fucking amazing if you ask me.

I’m really loving the new Marcus D album myself. Its like Marcus D just continues to get better with everything he puts out. Substantials verse on Soul a la Mode was amazing too might I add. I found this album to be just as enjoyable for me as Melancholy Hopeful to be honest.

So then.

A few listens in and I’m pretty impressed at just how off the walls this album is. A huge creative risk here and one that will surely pay off critically. Today I’m a little less embarrassed to call myself a hip-hop fan.

It got taken off iTunes before I could download it for this flight. Fuuuuu

To Pimp a Butterfly is soooooooooo dope. I’ve listening to it on repeat. What are some of yall’s favorite tracks? It’s hard to say but I’ve still really conntected to The Black the Berry, These Walls, Institutionalized, and U.