close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Man, If QN5 ever signs a female rapper, this should be her IMO

I don’t know what I was clicking just now that I discovered this girl: Lucy Camp.

New Mixtape: https://lucycamp.bandcamp.com/album/virago

Peep the title track, “Virago” and the track before it, “Astray”

She has an old EP with Bop Alloy style beats: http://rootsofsocietyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/step-one-prod-by-elyon-beats

A girl on some super technical conceptually heavy rap shit, sounding dope over a bunch of different types of production with different flows? And she has some solid hooks and is pretty accessible?

This is the only video really of her, rapping a verse on some Cypher show before she changed her name to Lucy Camp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kCgp3z_8CU Dope

I imagine there has to be an audience out there who will immediately fall in love with her. What do you guys think? With the right video and direction I think she will be huge

PS: I expect some of you to say Psalm One, Jean Grae, Dessa, etc - they are established artists - this girl is totally unknown, none of her tracks or social media pages have more than 2-3K hits - But I think she has the potential to be bigger than any of them

One last track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-h-NHOLQc
EDIT: Holy shit, I didn’t even see this when I made this post: She lists Tonedeff as one of her TWO influences on her facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucy-Camp/255008107936261?sk=info&tab=page_info

Seems pretty cool.. and having Tone listed as a prime influence has to be a good sign!

She definitely has potential. Keep in mind that, people like Jean & Psalm knock people off stages with their presence, and I see there’s some timidity there, so it’s tough to say if she can develop that segment of her persona over time. I hope so. With that said, she’s raw in terms of “presence”, but her voice, flow and rhyme schemes are absolutely on point. I also think she’d dazzle with some QN5 polish, eh?

Funny enough, I stumbled onto her page a year ago when she was Luzid (I’ve been looking for a female rapper for like everrrrrrrrr) and meant to reach out, but you know, life. I’d definitely be interested in working with her, but it seems she already has a team around her and I ain’t trying to step on any toes. But trying a track out wouldn’t hurt, eh? I’ll definitely reach out this time around. She got any contact info?

Also, you down to produce something for her Amp?

Thanks for the introduction. She’s talented. I enjoyed the EP.

i agree about presence, she doesn’t really look like at this point in time she can command an audience who doesn’t know her.

i think part of why i’m intrigued by her is that IMO every female who can really rap well has a somewhat of a tomboy-ish, “i can hang with/ outrap the guys” quality to them. i think its awesome that she raps the way she does without any hint of that

i’d definitely try producing for her…i don’t see any e-mail address, but she has twitter, soundcloud, etc

amplifya said:i think part of why i’m intrigued by her is that IMO every female who can really rap well has a somewhat of a tomboy-ish, “i can hang with/ outrap the guys” quality to them. i think its awesome that she raps the way she does without any hint of that

I 100% agree with you here, and I think that’s what makes her stuff far more compelling. I also dig that she’s working in the conceptual space vs talking about her pussy or how she’ll cut a dude’s dick off - which thanks to Nicki & the like - is EVERY female rapper right now. It’s embarassing and she ain’t bout that. I can dig it.

I hit her up on FB. Let’s see what happens.

Nice! Glad I made this post.

During the final 8 bars of “Grey” on her new mixtape, From 2:02-2:25 - she does that ill gradually-intensely-crescendoing-as-i-rap thing that Kendrick does sometimes. There’s gotta be a way to get her to translate the energy she’s giving there to her live performances

Intriguingggggg

I believe Dessa of Doomtree is the G.O.A.T. female rapper.

She’s one of the G.O.A.T. regardless of gender IMO.

Wow, I can definitely hear the Tone influence on this Lucy Camp chick!

So I stumbled upon her YouTube channel. I found this piece in particular to be rather fly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeZzOWRb-Zg

Yeah. Dessa’s my favorite. Speaking of stage presence, I’ve seen her four times live and my golly does she own the crowd. Just so much confidence and energy.

I’m very impressed listening to her stuff! Definitely needs some polishing, but I’m very picky with my hip hop and I’ve found myself listening through her entire mixtape.

Been busy but I got a chance to listen to her latest mixtape on the way home tonight and she’s really dope. I definitely like the poetic multisyllabic rhyme scheme rapping. Thanks for putting me on Amp. I have to say she quickly became my favorite female emcee and definitely better than a lot of male rappers.

I don’t understand, her lyrics aren’t anything like ‘Fancy’?

Having a chick on the label would have to be good on the business-side of things… rite?

I mean… I love all the dudes at QN5 shows, buuuuut

Really nice find!
I really hope she is interested in working with Tone. She has already improved a lot from the “Step One” project to the new album and if you add a dash of QN5 magic, I think she can grow to be quite amazing.

Approximately one year later, Tone just posted a video on Instagram of Lucy in the booth at QN5 Manor. HMMMMMM

ANNDDDD Kokayi had a periscope session the other day named something like “Beats for Tony” and Tonedeff was in it listening to beats from Kokayi, and mentioned something about a new artist Smile

Gonna be an interesting year for Tone and Quintic I think

I guess Fjer made it official today. Awesome.

Also, ya boy Amplifya/Hectic Zeniths.

Quintic is filling out nicely.

Interesting that she’s a Quintic artist vs QN5. I’m not sure it matters either way, I just thought Quintic was going to be the more singer oriented label vs QN5 being more traditinal Hip Hop.

I am really happy that she will be working with Tone. I absolutely think she has the potential to make it big; she already seems to have built a relatively big and loyal fanbase considering she has only released a couple of projects and is doing it all with her own hands.
And how fucking awesome is it that Hectic Zeniths is a part of it as well - especially considering it was him to made this thread?!

I wonder what they’re cooking up. Maybe a project with the entire roster simliar to Asterisk or Mello Music’s “Persona”?

Friis said:I am really happy that she will be working with Tone. I absolutely think she has the potential to make it big; she already seems to have built a relatively big and loyal fanbase considering she has only released a couple of projects and is doing it all with her own hands.
And how fucking awesome is it that Hectic Zeniths is a part of it as well - especially considering it was him to made this thread?!

I wonder what they’re cooking up. Maybe a project with the entire roster simliar to Asterisk or Mello Music’s “Persona”?

I’m guessing a Lucy ep and I think Fjer will put out a full album. Also really hoping for Hyperrealism this year. It would be a really big year for Quintic if all that happens.

JTX said:

I’m guessing a Lucy ep and I think Fjer will put out a full album.

I think you are right about both (Fjer is definitely working on an album) but since they are all in the studio together, I figure they are working on some kind of collaboration(s) as well. Maybe it’s just a couple of tracks for their respective projects, though.

Dope that Lucy Camp is now part of quintic, looking forward to more from her.

Friis said:Maybe a project with the entire roster simliar to Asterisk or Mello Music’s “Persona”?

Hot damn that would be so good. I get the feeling that if they’re working on anything like this, it will be more of an EP-style release than full compilation/collaboration. Maybe like 6 or 7 songs???

JTX said:I’m guessing a Lucy ep and I think Fjer will put out a full album. Also really hoping for Hyperrealism this year. It would be a really big year for Quintic if all that happens.

Y’all are making me too happy/anxious in here. STAHP

I love this collaboration, so cool to revisit this thread a year later and see what happened. So much QN5/Quintic excitement this year.

houstonz said:

Hot damn that would be so good. I get the feeling that if they’re working on anything like this, it will be more of an EP-style release than full compilation/collaboration. Maybe like 6 or 7 songs???

Yeah, that sounds likely. I could be way off of course, but I think it would be a cool way to introduce the label properly, now that it’s not just Tone/Peter and Fjer.

- Quintic feels like it could be QN5 2.0. Tone seems to be moving further away from hip-hop as a format, even if it’s influence will forever be ingrained in his art. Personally I’m all on board with this.. feels like what “5 steps ahead” was always supposed to be - and I enjoy the idea of him trying to be a great musician > a great “rapper”. I also don’t think the hip-hop audience would ever truly appreciate what he does in the way he deserves.

- I think this is awesome because I miss the QN5 of old.
- I also worry that Tone doesn’t get too distracted from his solo stuff
- I think Fjer was planning to release an album this year?
- I see Lucy getting an EP out this year.
- Can’t see Hyperrealism coming out this year.. seems like Polymer would be the focus.
- In all cases.. can’t wait to hear more about what’s going on!