close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion TV in 2015

Anyone catch the new Walking Dead or Better Call Saul? Both were pretty dope. Second episode of BCS comes on tonight at 9 CST.

Yup, last night’s walking dead and the last one with the two girls were the most artistic episodes of the series in my opinion.

Better call Saul, was cool, I just hope it doesn’t ride the coat tails of breaking bad too much. I don’t really want it to be a “oh I remember him from breaking bad” show. I want it to be it’s own thing but just as good as breaking bad if that’s even possible.

WD lost me a while ago, but i still watch it like u watch a bad movie to see where it goes… but this shit will go on forever. Unlike say True Detective, where u have the author set out the beginning and end, cant really do that with WD, which is why, to me, it is a soap opera with zombies. Couple things about last nights episode tho, it had some dope moments i.e. the match cuts of Tyreese and what is actually happening regarding the “arm” (trying to keep this spoiler free) and the POV shot towards the end with the blatant After Effects CG.

I getthe whole vibe they were going for, but the show continues to show it is a show about nothing to some extent. I don’t need to hear from each member how [what happened at the end of midseason finale] was gonna happen regardless. Move the story along fellas. Also, dead people coming back from the past to talk to a character… mad trope-ish and weak story telling.

Better Call Saul, I knew would be a different tone, and my expectations weren’t too high because im a massive BB fan. The 2 product placements in the beginning made me give pause. And the episode was so-so. As an attorney, some jokes hit that I can relate to but wide-spread audience, i dunno. The “oh shit” moment at the end has me a bit worried with the BB territory, but we’ll see. Hopefully that is just “one” client.

apologies if this came off as spoiler-esque

Planning on checking out BCS at some point.

I’m lukewarm on Backstrom so far. Rainn Wilson (Dwight from The Office) as a dickish cop. It’s kept me entertained enough to keep coming back for more, but I’m not sure how long that’ll last.

Agent Carter was kind of meh. Then again, I stopped watching Agents of Shield, too.

The Flash is probably my favorite superhero show on TV right now. It’s fun and doesn’t take itself too seriously, but it’s got a lot of heart. I’m still keeping up with Arrow, just for the sake of keeping up.

Brooklyn 99 has been pretty consistently good, and I’m enjoying Parks & Rec‘s final season as well.

I finally caught up with Silicon Valley early this year and really dug it; I’m looking forward to the April return.

**Spoilers for Better Call Saul**

I really liked the first two episode. From the moment it started and showed him working at that fuckin Cinnabon haha…. a great easter egg for the Breaking Bad Fans.
oQ92Voe.jpg

I’m really interested to see how this Jimmy McGill transforms into Saul Goodman. I kinda hope the final season is focused on post BB, and the pathetic “Gene” manager of Cinnabon can have his last resurgence. He is a sad sad man.

tumblr_njhnouvD7x1u8ziwno2_540.gif

I wasn’t crazy about the first episode of Better Call Saul, but the second episode was definitely better. I agree with Numonic in that I want it to become it’s own thing. The whole concept in my opinion is unnecessary, Breaking Bad should not have a spin off. It was easily one of the best shows of all time and making a spin off just kind of undermines it for me. I hope that Better Call Saul can prove me wrong, but it will take a lot

I wasn’t quite sure about BCS when they first announced it (didn’t they pitch it as a comedy?) so I never had especially high expectations or bought into the hype - but I really enjoyed the two episodes so far. I’m glad it’s a drama seemingly in the same vain as BB and also set within the same universe - It seems like a love letter to fans, but ultimately has it’s own story to tell.

My grandmother is in a future episode of Better Call Saul…so, I guess I’ll watch that. I think I kinda felt like Cthulu4Pres on the show in a lot of ways. But now think I’ll give it a shot with all of your recommendations.

^ That’s cool about your grandma haha. Any idea what episode?

I think the main problem Breaking Bad fans will run into with Better Call Saul is trying to compare the two. It’s very easy to do that, but ultimately that will leave you disappointed. I don’t think a show having a spin off automatically undermines the show… only if it sucks IMO. Having the mindset that Better Call Saul has to reach a certain height of greatness just because of Breaking Bad will be the reason why a lot of people will write this show off unfortunately.

In Vince I trust.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:^ That’s cool about your grandma haha. Any idea what episode?

No idea- just that it is in a bingo hall and she has a mumbled line or something. We’ll see. I did check the first two episodes and though it was quite quality. I was concerned about the Breaking Bad tie-in that you all mentioned, but it seemed to just do that to give a hat tip and then moved onward. I’m excited about it.

*Minor TWD Spoilers*

Tonight’s episode of Walking Dead was one of the better ones of this season I think. They didn’t get to Alexandria in exactly the same way as in the book, but it was interesting nonetheless. I feel like Alexandria is going to be a little different though, possibly not for the better.. we’ll see!

I’m falling so far behind on shows, Walking Dead, Gotham, Better Call Saul are what I mean to be watching but it just hasn’t been happening. The only things I’ve been able to keep up with has been Parks & Rec (AMAZING) and then The Goldbergs (funny enough family show).

I’m also tempted to give Flash another chance. Arrow was not my cup of tea and the first episode of Flash didn’t pull me in, but I have been hearing good things. Have Agents of SHIELD or Agent Carter been any good lately?

Also, anyone seen this cartoon called ‘Steven Universe’? It’s pretty cool and I was digging the score. I also liked The Jack & Triumph Show and Bagboy on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

Last Man on Earth, I think I will check that out too.

Best thing on UK TV by a mile at the mo is the BBC production of Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall novels, covering the early-ish life of Henry VIII and his ongoing women troubles. Smile

It’s a million miles away from the heaving bosums and “Verily, Sire, I prithee…” nonsense of the Three Musketeers-style usual run of period drama. These are real people living serious and dangerous lives, not just funny characters in strange clothes. And it is topped by an absolute master-class in acting from Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell. Final episode of 6 is tonight. Can’t wait!

I rarely watch TV now if it isn’t sports, but there hasn’t been an episode of Brooklyn Nine Nine that I’ve missed, and this second season is stronger than the first (and I adored the first).

I’ve also enjoyed the two episodes of The Last Man on Earth that have aired; it definitely has a Zombieland appeal, minus the zombies (If you haven’t seen it, Zombieland wasn’t entirely about the zombies).

Finally, the Asian in me has been contently watching Fresh Off the Boat. Barring the first episode, it hasn’t been out of this world, but I like seeing where the series goes, particularly because the lead role (Hudson Yang, who plays Young Eddie Huang) was me at his age to a tee.

Clearly all I watch are comedies, but that’s more because I don’t have the time to invest myself into anything to serious. Life beckons.

Not TV I watch, but did think it was kinda cool that WildChild’s son is in the final batch of American Idol. Qaasim Middleton if you want to throw votes his way.

Anyone else keeping up with the show Allegiance? It’s cancelled on live TV but they are continuing to put new episodes on the nbc website every Thursday and on demand. It’s up to episode 9 now. Pretty dope so far. I hope they reinstate the show for more seasons or at least let it have a proper conclusion like that show Hostages.

@tm The Flash has been a breath of fresh air as far as I’m concerned.

It has pretty successfully avoided most of the standard CW pitfalls so far. ie drama hinging on secrets or shippy bullshit. The rogues have either been fun or badass (Cpt Cold is on POINT) and both the long term plot and Barry’s abilities have advanced at a surprisingly reasonable clip.

Arrow is absolute bullshit by comparison right now.

Anyone else check out Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

Kimmy Schmidt was good, Fey really had a lot of funny stuff for the Tituss character. He was like a combination of Tracy and Jenna from 30 Rock, but even funnier with the singing parts. Jane Krakowski was good on Kimmy Schmidt too and I like the main actress too.

I have only seen the first episode of Flash but I plan on getting caught up with that and Gotham soon. The Rogues are a lovable group of bad guys in the comics so I’m interested to see how they portray them on TV. Captain Cold was the man in the Forever Evil event last year. He took out the evil alternate universe Flash (Johnny Quick) in pretty bad assed fashion.

Forever-Evil-6-Spoilers-Nightwing-Hooded-Prisoner-6.jpg

My summary of this past season of Walking Dead…..“Everybody hates Chris”. That pretty much sums it up.

I’m extremely looking forward to True Detective Season 2, Orange is the New Black Season 3, and the new season of GoT (obviously). Hoping the new Heroes reboot turns out good and praying that David Lynch changes his mind and decides to stay on the direct the Twin Peaks reboot.

If you’ve never watched Twin Peaks, do yourself a favor and go on Netflix and binge watch it.

Lastly, this is on youtube but I really enjoy watching Wil Wheaton’s TableTop.

Giving that Netflix Daredevil show a chance. That last fight scene in episode 2 was crazy. That’s where I left off, about to watch more.

Orphan Black returns this Saturday.

Lol at Louie.

Numonic said:Giving that Netflix Daredevil show a chance. That last fight scene in episode 2 was crazy. That’s where I left off, about to watch more.

Orphan Black returns this Saturday.

Lol at Louie.

Yea dope homage to Oldboy in episode 2. The character development for Kingpin was fuckin dope. Really impressed that Daredevil was entertaining as fuck.

Louie… that shit had me dying.

@ Trashman - Yeah I really liked Kimmy Schmidt. I dunno what it is about her but I find her really weirdly attractive. Pretty funny and light hearted show, one to enjoy with the missus.

- Co-sign True Detective, Orange is the New Black, GoT obviously (I’m resisting the full 4 as I don’t want to wait 5 weeks for the next one!)

- Also co-sign Tabletop. I’ve gotten really into playing board games with people the last year or so and that’s one of the few shows worth watching. I highly reccomend also checking out Shut Up & Sit Down if you haven’t already.

- Better Call Saul was pretty good. Hard to compare to BB but I found Jimmy’s story very human and compelling.

- In the process of watching Daredevil, seems really cool so far.

- Finally, new Louie is out? AWESOME!

Wow TV is going to rule for me in the summer.

Extant
Under The Dome
The Strain
Falling Skies (final season)
The Last Ship
Orphan Black (which returned this past Saturday)
That Walking Dead prequel show (only saw the short commercial during the season finale so far)
Continuum (final season, I think)
I never gave True Detective a chance but have read nothing but positive reviews. Season 2 returns in the summer. I will try to catch up on season 1 before then.

12 Monkeys on the Sci-Fi channel finished season 1 a couple weeks ago. Good show.

Allegiance is killing it. The actor that played Gus in Breaking Bad is in it and he’s literally killing it. The show is only on demand and online with new episodes added every Thursday. It’s on NBC.

I thought the Blacklist season was over with that episode a month ago but it turns out they just took a 3 week hiatus. The new episodes are up on demand and I saw the new one last night and I’m all caught up now. There’s one more episode left in the season next week. Been extremely dope so far.

Allegiance season finally was last week. Amazing show, can’t believe it’s being canceled but maybe the fact that they let the remainder of the season play on demand and online is a sign of hope that they won’t cancel the show.

Orphan Black season 3 started kind of eh but looks like it’s about to pick up with this coming 3rd episode.

I was hoping HBO still had True Detective season one on demand but they don’t, I guess I can find it online.

We are getting some old repeats of Oz in the UK now. What a show that was! I don’t know how they got it on screen; surely the most violent TV series ever. Bur brilliantly written and performed.

I just want to take a moment and apologize sincerely to anybody who might have picked up and started watching Arrow on my recommendation. I regret hurting you.

I thought that I knew what I was doing, but last night’s season finale proved me wrong. If any of you have sat through an entire season’s worth of these forty-minute bullshit excuses for TV writing, please reach out so that I can arrange reparations.

You deserve better. I’ll endeavor to do better.

Numonic said:
I was hoping HBO still had True Detective season one on demand but they don’t, I guess I can find it online.

Download HBO Go. It’s on there if you got the HBO subscription.

^ Or if you have a friend who has an HBO subscription. There is no limit on how many people can be watching at one time. I’ve been using my sisters login info for over 6 months now.

lol at destructlized

deStructuralized said:I just want to take a moment and apologize sincerely to anybody who might have picked up and started watching Arrow on my recommendation. I regret hurting you.

I thought that I knew what I was doing, but last night’s season finale proved me wrong. If any of you have sat through an entire season’s worth of these forty-minute bullshit excuses for TV writing, please reach out so that I can arrange reparations.

You deserve better. I’ll endeavor to do better.

LOL never tried this show.. now I won’t

Lol have ya’ll seen this? ” A Comedy Group Made a Brilliant New Episode of ‘Seinfeld’”

http://www.vice.com/read/a-ucb-comedy-group-wrote-and-shot-a-brilliant-new-episode-of-seinfeld-vgtrn?utm_source=vicetwitterus

That Blacklist finale, I had to watch it twice. Very dope but it seemed more like a series finale than a season finale. I’m curious how they continue from that finale. Or maybe they made the season finale that way because they didn’t know if they’d be picked up for another season, after all it is still a fairly new show only being in season 2. If this was the series finale at least it got a proper ending although I wish it went longer.

Edit: nevermind there will be a season 3. Great!

you motherfuckers still sleeping on Hannibal, i see.
Hannibal-Lecter-hannibal-tv-series-34420078-245-245.gif