close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff Polymer EP #4: ...

Phantom.

I_Khan called it. *cookies*

Also, the first song released from it will be titled “Five Sisters” which we got a snippet of. And the remixes… oh the remixes.

11199599_794123604018559_309291327_n.jpg

Ah I was close with “Ghost” and “Spectre” :/

Snippet of Five Sisters sounded pretty cool, and the remixes he played were insane.. especially that Hectic Zeniths remix of Sunrise.. already trumped the original for me (I still just don’t sit well with the synth strings).

I am a little gutted though that we won’t get to hear this until the autumn (american:fall) now though - was all proud of being patient and now it’s baby blue balls for several months. Sounds like there’s going to be so much to take in with the revamped songs, documentary, remixes, open:source, artbook, videos… so much to look forward to.

Phantom sounds really exciting, Tone pushing himself musically ever further and some deep introspective/personal/melodic songs which have always made a big portion of my favourite Tonedeff material.

that five sisters snippet is the realest + most personal thing i’ve heard from tone to date. even moreso than never imo (where tone still puts some distance between himself and the listener by talking in the third person, invoking several parables as a motif, etc).

so if that’s a taste of the kind of straightforward introspection we should expect from the rest of the record, hooo. i’m scared for my brain and my feels.

this is gonna be good.

Thank you houstonz, they are delicious.

For those who missed the stream, we can look forward to ethereal songs in the vein of “Broken Arrow” or “Holograms (RMX)” on Phantom, as it was said that is a decent approximation of the sound. The hauntingly beautiful style of Mr. Deff’s is personally the one which got me particularly hooked to his artistry and thus I’m looking forward to this portion of Polymer with, you guessed it, bated breath.

@Epic: I feel you. My balls are also 20 thousand hues of blue for this project. Can’t wait!! (We can and will though, of course.)

Having to wait till fall is a big bummer but I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait. Wish I could have heard the snippet but work got a little crazy so I only got to watch like 10 mins of the stream. I did catch him talking about how we’ll get to hear the full album before physicals arrive so that’s good.

So I didn’t hear much of the lyrics to “Five Sisters” but we’ve heard before how Tone felt isolated growing up, trying to gain their attention through art and music. I think this might tie together well with the title “Phantom”, that idea of being a ghost, not really being there. Perhaps this will tie into Tone’s music career or life in general, perhaps him being an onlooker in a world outside of his control.

It also works well as mentioned as a title for the type of sound we will expect to hear. More “holograms”-ish stuff which is incredibly exciting.

pfffffffff chill! we’re practically at summer. october is sooner than you think!

.... and september is even sooner Wink

Ugh, so upset I missed the stream…looks like some good info was shared.

How do I always miss these streams dammit.

Good to hear about the tone of the EP though. If there’s even one song similar to Holograms it will be worth the wait.

YEAH… FALL ISN’T THAT FAR AWAY. IT’S ALMOST JUNE FOR DOG’S SAKE

I get the feeling that the title track is going to be really depressing.

deStructuralized said:that five sisters snippet is the realest + most personal thing i’ve heard from tone to date. even moreso than never imo (where tone still puts some distance between himself and the listener by talking in the third person, invoking several parables as a motif, etc).

so if that’s a taste of the kind of straightforward introspection we should expect from the rest of the record, hooo. i’m scared for my brain and my feels.

Nice catch! THANK YOU! I’m really looking forward to sharing this new stuff with you. It’s definitely been the hardest stuff of the album to write, because it goes the deepest.

Epic Aesthetic said:Snippet of Five Sisters sounded pretty cool…

I kind of regret playing it over those shitty speakers. When you hear the subs on that track, it’s completely transformative - I’m hoping you’ll go from “Pretty cool” to “holy shit” when you hear it on a proper system. haha

Epic Aesthetic said:So I didn’t hear much of the lyrics to “Five Sisters”... Perhaps this will tie into Tone’s music career or life in general, perhaps him being an onlooker in a world outside of his control.

I will confirm that Phantom doesn’t touch on anything remotely related to “music” and “my career”. I feel that I addressed those issues very thoroughly on Hunter already.

houstonz said:I get the feeling that the title track is going to be really depressing.

Hahaha! It’s definitely not happy. Then again, it’s not entirely sad either. Hmmm. Wait, how do you know there’s a title track? Wink

worm9103 said:YEAH… FALL ISN’T THAT FAR AWAY. IT’S ALMOST JUNE FOR DOG’S SAKE

td_fuck.gif

*scramble*

houstonz said:I get the feeling that the title track is going to be really depressing.

I agree but good thing Tone can make a depressing track spectacular, to this day I think The Distance is one of his best songs. It also sounds like that QN5 RMX 5 is going to be it’s own beast.

kinetic-vibe said:

I agree but good thing Tone can make a depressing track spectacular, to this day I think The Distance is one of his best songs. It also sounds like that QN5 RMX 5 is going to be it’s own beast.

I’ll second this, and raise it - ‘No Hope’.
Both the title and theme are somewhat depressing (which makes sense given the subject) but it’s arguably the most beautifully created track on the QN5 label. Granted it’s not 100% Tonedeff, but Tone’s uplifting lyrics (& delivery) at the end both raise the mood and perfectly bring the track to a close, at the same time.

Epic Aesthetic said:
Snippet of Five Sisters sounded pretty cool, and the remixes he played were insane.. especially that Hectic Zeniths remix of Sunrise.. already trumped the original for me (I still just don’t sit well with the synth strings).

Can’t agree more - it’s going to be great to listen to Five Sisters properly, and the full set on the Remix CD!

I also agree with your comment on the synth strings in Sunrise - I love everything about Sunrise *except* for the synth strings (mainly at the start of the track). I understand (and like) Tone’s stylistic choice in going for a fully synthetically based album and it works really well on the whole, but as long as synth is its own thing.

Synth replacing what was clearly imagined as strings, feels like a compromise and it stands out to me each time. If Sunrise was kept the same in every way except for the strings (replaced by real instruments - as I understand it was performed in the final Megashow), I think it would be much better as a standalone track.

Perhaps it’s a personal bias though, as I had a fairly basic Yamaha keyboard growing up and always wondered if is was possible to synthesize violins and panpipes in a way that sounds more realistic (as I later heard on a newer model Yamaha, and other brands’ models). Sunrise, while on a whole different level, reminds me of that ‘synth-pretending-to-be-strings-but-not-quite-pulling-it-off’ feeling.

I didn’t mean for this to come across as a rant as I otherwise really like Sunrise, but it’s the one (and only, so far) track where I can’t help noticing the room for improvement.

Phantom is going to be ridiculous, Tone’s sung stuff is one of the big reasons why I became such a fan a few years ago so an EP filled with that is incredibly exciting. I ordered Polymorph and Polydisc and it didn’t really hit me until the livestream how much stuff we’re going to get. The undertaking of packaging and shipping all that stuff might be as commendable of a feat as the album itself.

In regards to Sunrise, I think the synth strings fit in way better with the rest of the song (and album) and I actually enjoy that effect, but I understand why others wouldn’t, it’s definitely a preference thing.

Rhys said:I also agree with your comment on the synth strings in Sunrise - I love everything about Sunrise *except* for the synth strings (mainly at the start of the track). I understand (and like) Tone’s stylistic choice in going for a fully synthetically based album and it works really well on the whole, but as long as synth is its own thing.

Not to diverge too much on a Glutton track, but I wouldn’t mind hearing an *alternate* version with real strings and pretty much everything else kept the same. Like you said, I appreciate the decision to keep everything synthetic but, perhaps after initially hearing the song with a string quartet, want to hear a less jarring version of the track.

ThatLoudKid said:I ordered Polymorph and Polydisc and it didn’t really hit me until the livestream how much stuff we’re going to get. The undertaking of packaging and shipping all that stuff might be as commendable of a feat as the album itself.

That’s a point.. I hope the shipping isn’t going to have the same issue as the last few CL releases otherwise I am going to get gangbanged with customs charges. Does the whole ‘gift’ trick still work?

Epic Aesthetic said:

Rhys said:I also agree with your comment on the synth strings in Sunrise - I love everything about Sunrise *except* for the synth strings (mainly at the start of the track). I understand (and like) Tone’s stylistic choice in going for a fully synthetically based album and it works really well on the whole, but as long as synth is its own thing.

Not to diverge too much on a Glutton track, but I wouldn’t mind hearing an *alternate* version with real strings and pretty much everything else kept the same. Like you said, I appreciate the decision to keep everything synthetic but, perhaps after initially hearing the song with a string quartet, want to hear a less jarring version of the track.

Maybe this could be one of those things Tone revisits for the final album. A lot goes into how synthstruments come across, from the original voice or sample used, to how uniformly vs dynamically the notes are triggered (in terms of attack speed, volume, etc), to how they are processed and filtered, and to how they move through the stereo space.

A lot of synthetic stuff can end up sounding very organic (see: Dirty Acres) and delicate, which I suspect is what Phantom is going to end up proving (bringin’ it back around, heyyy!).

So I agree Sunrise’s intro sounded a bit ‘stiff’ in comparison to the live strings, but that’s probably still something that could change within the paradigm of an all-synthetic work. And it still bangs regardless Smile.

At the risk of sounding like a dick, I’m starting to worry that the album won’t be out this year; the tentative dates from the livestreams are usually a couple of months off. Needless to say, I hope with all my heart that my worries proves to be unfounded and that we’ll get to hear the album this fall.

All pessimism aside, I’m extremely excited for the release.
The way Tone talks about Phantom convinces me that he has something very special in store for us. “5 sisters” sounded gorgeous and an entire with that style, although much more experimental, paired with some deep, introspective lyrics sounds like the recipe for my favorite part of Polymer.

Also, the idea of giving some of the songs we already know a “facelift” for the full release is great. I’ve already played the first three EP’s countless times but with the additional production the songs are undoubtedly going to sound super fresh
Finally, I absolutely cosign the love for the remix snippets. I can’t wait to hear the Hectic Zeniths one.

Friis said:At the risk of sounding like a dick, I’m starting to worry that the album won’t be out this year; the tentative dates from the livestreams are usually a couple of months off. Needless to say, I hope with all my heart that my worries proves to be unfounded and that we’ll get to hear the album this fall.

All pessimism aside, I’m extremely excited for the release.
The way Tone talks about Phantom convinces me that he has something very special in store for us. “5 sisters” sounded gorgeous and an entire with that style, although much more experimental, paired with some deep, introspective lyrics sounds like the recipe for my favorite part of Polymer.

Also, the idea of giving some of the songs we already know a “facelift” for the full release is great. I’ve already played the first three EP’s countless times but with the additional production the songs are undoubtedly going to sound super fresh
Finally, I absolutely cosign the love for the remix snippets. I can’t wait to hear the Hectic Zeniths one.

The tentative dates after the live streams for the previous eps were also always like a couple months later though. We’re looking at 5-6 months now for the final album. He probably overshot it on purpose so he wouldn’t have to worry about delaying it. But of course life happens so nothing is guaranteed. There’s a lot more going into this final product vs putting out digital eps so I’ll actually be pretty surprised if it is done this fall.

I didn’t know about the face lift for the other songs. That’s nice to hear. Not that I don’t like them the way they are now, but updating them a bit will make the final album flow together better I think.

Anyone else make the “Phantom of the Opera” connection with the title? Being that this is the more heavily sung EP, Opera = singing, “phantom’ taken from “Phantom of the Opera”. I don’t know if Tone is referencing “Phantom of the Opera” with the title but just a thought.

Numonic said:Anyone else make the “Phantom of the Opera” connection with the title? Being that this is the more heavily sung EP, Opera = singing, “phantom’ taken from “Phantom of the Opera”. I don’t know if Tone is referencing “Phantom of the Opera” with the title but just a thought.

Just to confirm, there’s definitely no connection to the Broadway show.

LOL ok. I didn’t mean a connection to the story just the Opera/singing part. Just kind of like Demon could be short for Speed Demon. Just in that respect. I guess that’s just a coincidence that this is your heavily sung EP and shares the word ‘phantom” with “Phantom of the Opera” a show involving singing.

Tone was sample clearing issues a factor in why you chose to go the synth route? I assume you deal with less sample clearing when using synth beats. Could be wrong.

Damn, so sad I missed this, really hoping that the livestream is going to be uploaded on youtube like the previous ones

JTX said:

The tentative dates after the live streams for the previous eps were also always like a couple months later though. We’re looking at 5-6 months now for the final album. He probably overshot it on purpose so he wouldn’t have to worry about delaying it.

I didn’t know about the face lift for the other songs. That’s nice to hear. Not that I don’t like them the way they are now, but updating them a bit will make the final album flow together better I think.

Yeah, you could be right about that. We’ll see.

Regarding the songs getting a facelift, I assume it will mostly be little details on the transitions between songs to help the album sound more cohesive. But Tone also said specifically, that the album versions of Sunrise and Narcissius would differ from the EP versions and he didn’t rule out that it would also be the case with some of the other tracks.

Why is this the only livestream (correct me if I’m wrong) that has not been recorded and uploaded after? It’s funny because this is the ONLY one that I’ve missed due to being in Europe for the summer. Anyone happen to record it on their own?

Dekorum said:Why is this the only livestream (correct me if I’m wrong) that has not been recorded and uploaded after? It’s funny because this is the ONLY one that I’ve missed due to being in Europe for the summer. Anyone happen to record it on their own?

Hiya.
I usually record the livestreams and share them to Tone afterwards.

I did record it as usual, however my computer is kinda slowly dying at the moment… So it crashed several times during the livestream, resulting in the recording not having sound for the last hour and a half or so.

I only have about 50 minutes worth of livestream with sound. I asked Tone if he wanted them anyway and didn’t get a response so I’m gessing he’s not that interested haha.

Sorry… Sad

ah Sad thanks for the update anyway

I have a video stream of this, I just have to edit a couple things. ♥ Supahbuldozer

Tonedeff said:I have a video stream of this, I just have to edit a couple things. ♥ Supahbuldozer

Good to hear! Very Happy