close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music Outside of Hip Hop

I wanted to make a thread where we have a place to talk about other genres outside of hip hop. It can be current or old. It can be about any album, song, or artist.

Truthfully I haven’t been listening to a lot of hip hop lately outside of a few obvious exceptions. I’m just not hearing a lot of creativity or a lot of stuff that really keeps my interest. This past week I’ve really only been listening to Tonedeff, Tori Amos, Radiohead, Bjork, & Portishead.

I’m hoping this thread might be able to turn people onto some music they might not have heard before. I’m also hoping it can start a good discussion and liven things up a bit.

Vespertina - The Waiting Wolf
Dutch - A Bright Cold Day
(Both produced by Stoupe (formerly of JMT) with a different female vocalist on each project.)

Hectic Zeniths - [self-titled]

I’ve been listening to Fjer a bit lately myself.

houstonz said:Vespertina - The Waiting Wolf
Dutch - A Bright Cold Day
(Both produced by Stoupe (formerly of JMT) with a different female vocalist on each project.)

Hectic Zeniths - [self-titled]

I’ve been listening to Fjer a bit lately myself.

I’ve heard the two produced by Stoupe and of course the two EP’s that Fjer has put out. What is the Hectic Zeniths album like if you had to describe it? I wanna get the perspective of someone else whose heard it before I listen to it.

I listened to Massive Attack recently and while I liked what I heard, only a few songs off of the albums I heard really stood out. I definitely prefer Portishead as a group and I feel like they’re far more consistent. I guess what I mean is I like Massive Attack to a degree and I absolutely LOVE Portishead if that makes sense.

The HZ record is actually an instrumental album with a bit of sampling and instrumentation and a wide array of tones/moods throughout. I’d say as a fan of Kno and Portishead (or older DJ Shadow) production you’d dig it.

Here’s a sample: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWfC8efkDc

Edit: Oh, and if you haven’t checked out the UNKLE record “Psyence Fiction” you should do that. It’s a collaborative project with James Lavelle and DJ Shadow with a bit of a “trip hop” feel that includes hip hop, instrumental, and sung songs. My knowledge in other music outside of experimental/instrumental Hip Hop/Trip Hop stuff is slim.

houstonz said:The HZ record is actually an instrumental album with a bit of sampling and instrumentation and a wide array of tones/moods throughout. I’d say as a fan of Kno and Portishead (or older DJ Shadow) production you’d dig it.

Here’s a sample: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWfC8efkDc

Edit: Oh, and if you haven’t checked out the UNKLE record “Psyence Fiction” you should do that. It’s a collaborative project with James Lavelle and DJ Shadow with a bit of a “trip hop” feel that includes hip hop, instrumental, and sung songs. My knowledge in other music outside of experimental/instrumental Hip Hop/Trip Hop stuff is slim.

It was for me too.. honestly I started branching out from listening to hip hop more recently because I wanted to start getting into the artists who influenced Tone. I figured if he’s my favorite artist in music than I might as well check out who influenced him. I can say it was a good decision. Now I listen to Homogenic by Bjork, Dummy by Portishead, Basically anything from The Bends to In Rainbows by Radiohead religiously. Of course I listen to Under the Pink by Tori Amos a lot too. Its weird because if I hadn’t made the random decision to check these artists out or check the music like Gathered thread I would’ve never gotten into that stuff outside of bands like Pink Floyd that I was already a fan of.

I will also definitely check out the UNKLE record and the Hectic Zeniths record.

I flood the music threads with non-hiphop music. I can probably list 20 albums from this year alone. For me I seriously started branching out (meaning listening to full albums, before it was casual, like a few singles of an artist, never full albums) in 2012 with I guess I would say the Grizzly Bear album “Shields” and the Apollo Run album “Here be dragons volume 3” but I’ve liked a lot more since then. I’m busy right now but when I get a chance I’ll list them. Nice thread.

P.S. yeah that first Hectic Zeniths album is dope. I wasn’t really feeling the most recent one but Amplifya is the man on beats.

I finally listened to Vespertine by Bjork (yes I’m very late on that I know). One of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever heard. Bjork is so ahead of everyone else in music its crazy. I’m struggling to think of an artist that is more ahead of the curve at least musically than her aside from maybe Tonedeff. I mean to think that albums like Homogenic and Vespertine came out in 1997 and 2001 blows my mind. I mean so many people have tried to copy her style too. You get that with an artist that’s as creative as her though so I’m not surprised.

If you’re a fan of complex syncopation and textures that evolve, I can’t recommend Apparat enough. His style’s changed to become a bit more “palatable” over the years, but the aesthetic in this song more or less encapsulates the level of mastery he has over crafting dense, challenging soundscapes. Mind you this was in 2003.

Call me slow, but I’ve been on a huge The National kick lately. Listen to the thriller movie-esque tremolo on those bowed strings. I mean…this is a song about murder that could easily get away with radio play. This is The National in a nutshell for me: beautiful guitar and piano / orchestral arrangements, rock-solid songwriting, and a baritone lead vocal that can easily alternate between buttery folk smoothness and violent post-punk rage. They more or less embody the melancholy Tonedeff occasionally dips into, imo.

Trentemoller is another electronic artist with killer command over the dynamism in the middle and high end. This is his remix of Modeselektor’s “The White Flash (ft. Thom Yorke).” Don’t let the persistence of the bassline fool you: it’s basically a ten minute glitch-layering session.

Kiasmos is what happens when you take a BAFTA-award winning film composer and let him collaborate with a house producer. Pretty much as straightforward as you’d expect, but beautiful nonetheless.

Can’t leave this post without a shoutout to Kollektiv Turmstrasse. Favorite deep house act to date. Bass-heavy, primitivistic drums, vocal cuts that move you, with just enough sparse melody sprinkled in for contrast.

I’ve been listening to the R&B stuff that came out recently, mainly throwing The Internet against Hiatus Kaiyote and seeing what comes out. And when I listen to cool recent stuff, I go see what exists in the dollar bin at the record store that I should be listening to. Just bought the Manhattans and Z.Z. Hill’s album Down Home which I’d never heard before. Listening to some of that older stuff really makes me appreciate what ‘Choose your Weapon’ is doing. I’m flying into Istanbul the night Hiatus Kaiyote are playing there and I’m tempted to go see them. Both albums are cool.

deStructuralized I see your Apparat and raise you Christoph El’ Truento.

He’s a producer from the now defunct abstract rap group @Peace.

Solo he’s a little too abstract for me at times but he might be what you guys are looking for.

Bandcamp: christopheltruento

Album of the year to me hands down is Village of Vale.

Soundcloud: johnmcgrew

Def agree to Vespertina (so slept on), although Lorrie’s new shit is pretty out there (stoupe from Jedi Mind Tricks is the producer of Verspertina) and Hectic.

ive been into this one broad Lisa Leblanc. Shit is pretty dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qj4TFkzfo dope video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYaTatJwp9c

I posted this in the Music 2015 thread and in the description it says recommended for those who like Bjork, Radiohead and Portishead which are more than half the artists you mentioned in the first post. What are the chances? Crazy.

Numonic said:This new project with Moon and Pollution/ No Bird Sing producer Graham O’Brien is streaming now on Spotify. It’s Camp Dark which is a new band featuring singer/song writer Adam Svec and producer/drummer Graham O’Brien.

a0714791818_10.jpg

Camp Dark - “Nightmare in a Day”

Available on Spotify and bandcamp now.

Bandcamp: campdark

Very dope album. Recommended if you like Radiohead, Bjork, and Portishead.

By the way Moon and Pollution can be another recommendation. Their Box Borealis album is tied at number 1 favorite this year with Village of Vale.

Hey Numonic if you had to describe what that Village of Vale album sounds like how would you describe it? I wanna know what its like before checking it out.

mattthegod said:Hey Numonic if you had to describe what that Village of Vale album sounds like how would you describe it? I wanna know what its like before checking it out.

Would it be cheating if I took the description from the artists’ website? Although most of it is a literal description of the lyrical content/story. There’s this animated show I used to watch some years ago called “Kino’s Journey” about a traveller and the story of this album kind of reminds me of it.

Here’s the artists’ description of the album:

“The Village of Vale: A Storybook Record. is a collection of original songs, stories, and artwork set in an Edward Gorey-meets-J.R.R. Tolkien world. Using symphonic, electronic, and choral music elements intertwined with acoustic guitars, piano, and harmonium, the music of The Village of Vale combines current/progressive styles with the traditions of music-storytelling in folk.

But The Village of Vale is more than an a collection of songs and stories. It’s also an interactive multimedia music/art installation, set to be performed at the Invisible Dog Art Center February 2015. A modern Prokofiev’s ‘Peter and the Wolf,’ this unique project brings together musicians, artists, writers and performers to effectively tell one story in five different ways. The Village of Vale is at once a collection of new songs, a printed and illustrated storybook, and a multi-dimensional installation and performance art show.

The Village of Vale is a story of a town that is forever changed when a traveling Trader visits its gates. The Trader trades objects and goods with townspeople in the village who in turn are profoundly changed for better and worse. The world of Vale includes trees that can be burned to the ground to bring back loved ones from the dead, eye glasses that reveal the true nature of whatever the wearer sees, ghosts, lovers, animals, spirits and a boy who watches over it all, caught between a world he knows and the world beyond Vale that he longs to see.”

As far as my personal opinion/description of the sound, I think it’s really lush and beautiful. John McGrew is an amazing singer IMO. The way his vocals build, rise and fall it feels like you’re on a roller coaster I guess. I’ve never been good with this descriptive stuff. The additional vocalist on here are also great. I’m not sure what else to say, I just love his music.

Check it out on soundcloud, there’s a narrative version and a non-narrative version. Check the narrative version first to get the feel of the story with the music. You can also download it for free on his website which also has the Vinyl for sale incase you want a physical copy on johnmcgrewmusic dot com.

I love this Apollo Run song and video. Act IV.

https://youtu.be/lgDwFjV7azY

At the end of the day in my opinion, someone else’s description of the music will not be the same as yours. I’ve liked similar artists as others I know for different reasons. So I never rely on what someone else thought about the music to determine whether it was worth checking out. I guess I’m essentially saying that reviews are worthless. I think one of my favorited websites for music SYFFAL kind of realizes that now as they say they now only review albums that they think are 10/10 stars to them. I know this flies in the face of discussion boards as it’s meant to discuss music but I remember the days when I used to “discuss” but what was more like an argument about music on some discussion boards until I realized it’s useless debating about something that is opinion.

Okay let me stop before this becomes a tldr.

I figured I should say this in here since I’ve talked about it to some blueschoolers before. I can’t wait for a full Fjer album to be released. Her two EPs are incredible and I feel like were in for a treat when her full album comes out.

Continuing my quest. Record store owner sold me Sly and the Family Stone’s record Small Talk (for a quarter-those bargain bins got gems in them ya’ll). The song “Loose Booty”....damned.

One of the first, maybe the first instrumental albums I’ve ever listened to, got me in to instrumental music.

0-f70733ea-400.jpg

Science Fiction (Wale Oyejide) - “Walls Don’t Exist”

I’m pretty glad this thread has gotten the amount of posts that it has so far. I didn’t expect it to do as well as its doing. At least its waking things up a bit though. I’ve been seeing a lot of good suggestions of non hip hop music in here.

The first instrumental I bought: 1971!!

Zero_Time_LP.jpg

I have no idea what it sounds like now, but they were quite an influential duo. Their wiki page makes interesting reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonto’s_Expanding_Head_Band

Am I the only Led Zeppelin fan on here? Yes I know they were accused of stealing music but they still managed to put out some phenomenal work during their time.

Led Zeppelin’s pretty well known, I’m sure you’re not the only fan on here. I don’t think I ever got in to them. I’m not 100% sure, are they heavy metal or just Rock. I know there are some elitests out there that will shit on you for not knowing the so called greats but I never approached music that way. I don’t care who you are, if I don’t like your music, I don’t like it. That being said Led Zeppelin and many other so called greats are before my music awakening I had only some years ago. With so much music easily available nowadays it’s hard to find time to explore past music. I can’t even really say that I had a music awakening because at the base I’m still doing the same thing which is ignoring reviews and listening to what I have access to and liking what I like regardless of reviews. I just have access to more music nowadays, is the only thing that changed, which leaves little to no time to explore past music.

Hey mattthegod I’m curious of what you think of the Camp Dark album? Especially since the description mentioned for fans of Bjork, Portishead and Radiohead. In your opinion were they wrong or right in that description?

Kotomi is one to check out, she’s been dropping a lot of amazing singles this year and it will make for an amazing compilation by the end of the year. Most recently (couple days ago) she has a song called “Grace” on Cyril Hahn’s new EP.
Soundcloud: kotomi
Soundcloud cyrilhahn

Edit: just gave Led Zeppelin my first volitional listen ever (just stream sampled a random album of there’s) and I like them. I’m sure I heard them on TV or radio before but it’s been a long while since I got my music from radio or tv.

So much music, it’s overwhelming.

Here’s a list of non-hiphop albums from this year that I like (includes instrumental albums):

C Duncan - “Architect”
White Bird​/​Burn The Sky by Palace Of The King
Bandcamp: palaceoftheking
Charlie Patton’s War - “Rock ‘N’ Roll House Party”
Bandcamp: charliepattonswar
White Reaper - “White Reaper Does It Again”
bandcamp: whitereaper
Jason Isbell - “Something More Than Free”
The Village of Vale
Winterplan - “Fight/Flight”
Bandcamp: winterplan
Soundcloud: winterplan
Active Child - “Mercy”
Sister Crayon “Devoted”
soundcloud: rodriguezlopezproductions
HashFinger - “Kites”
Bandcamp: Hashfinger
My Brightest Diamond - “I Had Grown Wild”
Bandcamp: mybrightestdiamond
2econd Class Citizen - “A Hall of Mirrors”
Bandcamp powered online page: shop.thecontentlabel
2econd Class Citizen - “Old Folk Wine”
Bandcamp: 2econdclasscitizen
Soundcloud: 2econdclasscitizen
The Casanovas - “Terra Casanova”
Soundcould: thecasanovas
Camp Dark - “Nightmare in a Day”
Bandcamp: campdark
Crypstramentals Volume 8, 9, and 10 by Cryptic One
Bandcamp: crypticone
Amin Payne - “SAFFRON”
Bandcamp: aminpayne
Soundcloud: amin-payne
Kasami Washington - “The Epic”
DJ Scientist - “Keine Musik fur Niemand”
Soundcloud: djscientist
Alabama Shakes - “Sound & Color”
Mavis Staples - “Your Good Fortune”
Soundcloud: antirecords
Esther Stephens & The Means - “Esther Stephens & The Means”
Bandcamp: estherstephensandthemeans
Soundcloud: estherstephens_themeans
Child Actor - “Never Die Remixes”
bandcamp: chldactr
Seez Mics - “Cruel Fuel Instrumentals”
bandcamp: seezmics
The Cancel - “No Way To Stay”
Bandcamp: thecancelmusic
Soundcloud: thecancel
Moon and Pollution - “The Box Borealis”
bandcamp: moonandpollution
Nate Mercereau - “EP1”, “EP2”, and “A Vivid Memory”
Bandcamp: natemercereau
Wove - “EP1”
bandcamp: wovepartnership
soundcloud: wovepartnership
Figure - Selected Remixes Vol. 2
Soundcloud: Figure
Catfish and The Bottlemen - “The Balcony”
Buddy Peace - “Vegas Nerve”
soundcloud: buddypeace

Nate Mercereau - “A Vivid Memory”, Sister Crayon and Esther Stephens & The Means are some stand outs for me this year. Amazing albums from them.

I might do a list for 2014, 2013 and 2012 also. 2012 is when I started really listening to non-hiphop albums. I’ve listened to some non-hiphop albums before that but no where near as many as I listen to today.

Also as you see it helps to have a soundcloud or bandcamp page.

I didn’t know it was possible to not like Zeppelin. I don’t really over saturate myself with music tbh. In the past 5 years the only hip hop music I keep in regular rotation is anything from QN5 and Sadistik.

3 of the best albums ever recorded imo:

Tool - Lateralus
Tool - Aenima
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Other music I’ve been listening to recently:
JJ Grey & Mofro (one of my favorite bands) - http://youtu.be/1F9iQSwwwFE
Dance with the dead
Alice in chains
Steve miller band
The Eagles
Journey
Queen
A perfect circle

I’ve also been listening to a lot of movie soundtracks, most recently the guest and inside llewyn davis.

JTX said:I didn’t know it was possible to not like Zeppelin. I don’t really over saturate myself with music tbh. In the past 5 years the only hip hop music I keep in regular rotation is anything from QN5 and Sadistik.

3 of the best albums ever recorded imo:

Tool - Lateralus
Tool - Aenima
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Other music I’ve been listening to recently:
JJ Grey & Mofro (one of my favorite bands) - http://youtu.be/1F9iQSwwwFE
Dance with the dead
Alice in chains
Steve miller band
The Eagles
Journey
Queen
A perfect circle

I’ve also been listening to a lot of movie soundtracks, most recently the guest and inside llewyn davis.

I’ve always loved Queen. Night at the Opera is basically an undisputed classic along with Sheer Heart Attack. I kind of grew up on them so their music will always hold some what of a special place for me. My mom was the one who got me into their stuff and my dad was the one who got me into Pink Floyd. As much as I love Radiohead.. I feel like they were heavily influenced by Pink Floyd. Ok Computer is their Dark Side of the Moon if that makes sense.

Over the past year or so I’ve also had the first Guns N Roses album Appetite for Destruction in constant rotation.

Numonic, I would say Led Zeppelins music was hard rock not heavy metal. If you want to hear the difference between the two genres try Led Zeppelin and then listen to Metallica. Although, you could say a lot of early Hard Rock bands influenced a lot of the Heavy Metal bands of today. However, there IS a difference between the two genres sound wise. Either way I’m glad you enjoyed what you heard.

Led Zep certainly were/are hard rock. I never liked them much, though, even at the time. Despite the obvious good musicianship, there was always something so contrived and artificial about them for me. I’ not claiming I was a Chicago blues purist who only wanted to listen to Buddy Guy, but nevertheless, rock music’s populist take on blues music seemed in better and more respectful hands with the wonderfully ramshackle Stones than Jimmy Page’s guitar solos and Plant’s yelp. Or so it seemed to me.

Revisiting this album from 2014 and loving it. I know I’m not taking it that far back.

Numonic said:Another dope release I just came across thanks to syffal.

a0921848298_10.jpg

The clouds are ghosts - “fractures”

Bandcamp: thecloudsareghosts

They kind of remind me of Isle of Rhodes a little.

This album is really dope.

I might just do a 2014 list like I did with 2015.

One favorite and in my eyes flawless album from 2014. Here I am quoting myself quoting myself.

Numonic said:

Numonic said:I mentioned this album last month but I just found out that it’s on bandcamp. If you haven’t checked it out stop sleeping. Very dope album.

a0360914112_2.jpg

The Griswolds - “Be Impressive”

bandcamp: wearethegriswolds

Man! This album is amazing. Ends so epically too. Flawless album.

Another favorite from 2014 is Thomas Azier - “Hylas”. Another flawless album to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQhoYczwdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFp2hN_XXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9dz8pcd_P8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TdhI_EYfKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qw-o2qpVIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlyOLFnLuBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUD_nyuPOl0

Also The Datsuns - Deep Sleep album is also one of my favorites from 2014.

This album from 2013 “Aventine” by Agnes Obel is also one of my favorites. Such a heavenly album. I really get this end of Fall early Winter season feel with this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHoou-uFkvI

Another dope one from 2013 is this one by Ross McHenry

Numonic said:

Here’s another dope album I just came across.

a1666381435_2.jpg

Ross McHenry - “Distant Oceans”

bandcamp: rossmchenry

This is on some Miles Davis vibe tip. I’m loving it.

Of course I can’t forget one of the best albums of 2013 and one of the best blues rock albums I’ve ever heard “Fuzz” by Fuzz (Ty Segall, Charles Moothart).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twylUtWKdt4

My other favorite Bluesy Rock album from 2013 is Awesome Science by Humanfly

a4060441580_10.jpg

Humanfly - Awesome Science

bandcamp: humanfly

Also this instrumental album by Wax Triptych is dope.

Numonic said:http://f0.bcbits.com/z/10/13/1013666518-1.jpg

Wax Triptych - A Tale of 3 Heads

” Wax Triptych is a trip-hop trio featuring Mononome, Jenova 7 & Mr. Moods - three like-minded international artists from the Dusted Wax Kingdom record label. “A Tale Of 3 Heads” is a dark, dusty journey into the cool, aged grooves and sounds of the past. The triptych is a work of art in three parts. “

It’s up on bandcamp: on Jenova 7’s page.

Really dope instrumental album.

Also not that I listen to cover albums but best cover album is Mockingbird by Kendra Morris. A lot of songs on their that get me nostalgic, especially the Soundgarden sound “Blackhole Sun”

One last one I’d like to add is the album Changing Color by My Body Sings Electric. Outstanding rock album.
Bandcamp: mybodysingselectric

Mattthegod I still didn’t get your opinion on the Camp Dark album. I’m just curious because the description mentioned it was recommended for people who like most of the artists you like. Trying to see how accurate that description is.

Numonic said:Mattthegod I still didn’t get your opinion on the Camp Dark album. I’m just curious because the description mentioned it was recommended for people who like most of the artists you like. Trying to see how accurate that description is.

I promise you I will. I haven’t had the chance to as of late with being moved up to cashier at the store I work at. I’ve had insane hours. I’m off until Wednesday though so I’ll definitely try to get to it.