close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music Outside of Hip Hop

mattthegod said:

Numonic said:Mattthegod I still didn’t get your opinion on the Camp Dark album. I’m just curious because the description mentioned it was recommended for people who like most of the artists you like. Trying to see how accurate that description is.

I promise you I will. I haven’t had the chance to as of late with being moved up to cashier at the store I work at. I’ve had insane hours. I’m off until Wednesday though so I’ll definitely try to get to it.

Ok. Totally understandable but I have to say it is not the reaction i expected from you. In fact I’m surprised that when I first mentioned it in here instead of you commenting on it you asked me about Village of Vale. Granted that’s MY number 1 album of the year but the description of Camp Dark suggests that there is a great chance you’ll love the album. Whether you like the Camp Dark album or not isn’t the issue, the thing that bugs me is that you seem to hold descriptions so highly as a motivator to check out the music but didn’t think much of the Camp Dark description which pretty much said “you are guaranteed to like this”. The reaction i was expecting from you was more like: “oh snap! Based on that description I can’t wait to check out that Camp Dark album” not “I’ll TRY to get to it in my free time. If the description of Camp Dark can’t enthuse you there’s no hope for anything else. Again this has nothing to do with your time or even if you like the album or not, I just found it curious how you reacted to getting to listen to the album.

Numonic said:

mattthegod said:

Numonic said:Mattthegod I still didn’t get your opinion on the Camp Dark album. I’m just curious because the description mentioned it was recommended for people who like most of the artists you like. Trying to see how accurate that description is.

I promise you I will. I haven’t had the chance to as of late with being moved up to cashier at the store I work at. I’ve had insane hours. I’m off until Wednesday though so I’ll definitely try to get to it.

Ok. Totally understandable but I have to say it is not the reaction i expected from you. In fact I’m surprised that when I first mentioned it in here instead of you commenting on it you asked me about Village of Vale. Granted that’s MY number 1 album of the year but the description of Camp Dark suggests that there is a great chance you’ll love the album. Whether you like the Camp Dark album or not isn’t the issue, the thing that bugs me is that you seem to hold descriptions so highly as a motivator to check out the music but didn’t think much of the Camp Dark description which pretty much said “you are guaranteed to like this”. The reaction i was expecting from you was more like: “oh snap! Based on that description I can’t wait to check out that Camp Dark album” not “I’ll TRY to get to it in my free time. If the description of Camp Dark can’t enthuse you there’s no hope for anything else. Again this has nothing to do with your time or even if you like the album or not, I just found it curious how you reacted to getting to listen to the album.

I’ve been swamped with work. I haven’t been really able to hear new music outside of a few songs in about a week or 2. I finally had the chance tonight to listen to some stuff off the album and I do hear some similarities. I definitely like what I heard from the album but I wouldn’t say I love it just yet. I can definitely see myself loving it sometime down the line though. Same feeling I got when I first heard Massive Attack. Not the same style completely per say but in terms of enjoyment. It’s kind of like the comparison before I made with Portishead and Massive Attack. They make the same kinds of music but I love one group and like the other. If that makes any sense.

I totally understand being swamped at work and albums growing on you and you loving one artist and only liking another that makes similar music and I understand that I can’t accurately confirm whether the description given by Camp Dark is accurate until you’ve had time to listen to the album (incase it’s a grower). That’s a separate issue from what I’m now curious about. Based on the way you said you’d check out the album, I just feel that the album wasn’t that high on your “albums to check out list” and that’s what I find strange based on the description of the album and the artists you mentioned are your favorites. I had no expectations of whether you’d like the album or not (which was the whole point of asking for your opinion on it, sort of as a study to see if the description of the album was accurate). Out of all the albums that you heard of but haven’t or hadn’t listened to yet, how high on the list of anticipation was this Camp Dark album for you? While I had no expectations of you liking or not liking the album, I did expect you to highly anticipate giving it a chance and after your response to “getting to it” I just don’t feel that you had that anticipation. It just puts the whole value of descriptions you hold in to question and earlier you seemed as if descriptions were the determining factor as to whether you’d check out the music or not. If I valued descriptions and someone told me that an album is recommended for people who like a good number of the artists i like, it would only make sense if I then highly anticipated getting to listen to that album. The only exception would be if the description was coming from someone I deemed not trustworthy in their descriptions.

Okay this is becoming a tldr.

Basically, Out of all the albums that you heard of but haven’t or hadn’t listened to yet, how high on the list of anticipation was this Camp Dark album for you?

Also do you value one person’s description more than others or do you hold all descriptions equally? That question is kind of a variation of the thread I made asking the question of which medium of music do you most identify with.

Sorry that this has become a discussion about the discussion.

Maybe I should just let it go.

Numonic said:I totally understand being swamped at work and albums growing on you and you loving one artist and only liking another that makes similar music and I understand that I can’t accurately confirm whether the description given by Camp Dark is accurate until you’ve had time to listen to the album (incase it’s a grower). That’s a separate issue from what I’m now curious about. Based on the way you said you’d check out the album, I just feel that the album wasn’t that high on your “albums to check out list” and that’s what I find strange based on the description of the album and the artists you mentioned are your favorites. I had no expectations of whether you’d like the album or not (which was the whole point of asking for your opinion on it, sort of as a study to see if the description of the album was accurate). Out of all the albums that you heard of but haven’t or hadn’t listened to yet, how high on the list of anticipation was this Camp Dark album for you? While I had no expectations of you liking or not liking the album, I did expect you to highly anticipate giving it a chance and after your response to “getting to it” I just don’t feel that you had that anticipation. It just puts the whole value of descriptions you hold in to question and earlier you seemed as if descriptions were the determining factor as to whether you’d check out the music or not. If I valued descriptions and someone told me that an album is recommended for people who like a good number of the artists i like, it would only make sense if I then highly anticipated getting to listen to that album. The only exception would be if the description was coming from someone I deemed not trustworthy in their descriptions.

Okay this is becoming a tldr.

Basically, Out of all the albums that you heard of but haven’t or hadn’t listened to yet, how high on the list of anticipation was this Camp Dark album for you?

Also do you value one person’s description more than others or do you hold all descriptions equally? That question is kind of a variation of the thread I made asking the question of which medium of music do you most identify with.

Sorry that this has become a discussion about the discussion.

Maybe I should just let it go.

I wouldn’t say I value ones opinions more than others. Especially on here. I haven’t really had the chance to listen to anything anyone has suggested to me on here yet because of how busy I’ve been. It just is what it is. Now in terms of anticipation yeah I was excited to hear the album but I’m the type who usually only wants to give something a chance if I’m giving my full attention. I feel that there is no point in listening to something if I’m too tired from work to pay attention to it. Now as of the past few days, my girlfriend is about to go back to Romania so basically I’ve been spending all of my time with her. Once she leaves on Wednesday I’ll probably have more time to listen to stuff.

Again I never asked why you hadn’t listened to the music yet nor does it bother me if you listen to it today or a year from now. Had your response to my question been more like: “yeah I can’t wait to listen to it but I’ve been busy” the conversation would have ended there but you replied to the question as if you believed getting to listen to the album would be a chore, as if you knew the description would be wrong. Someone who wants to do something doesn’t “promise” someone else that they’ll do it. Instead they say something like “I can’t wait to do it”. I’m just saying no where in that response did it seem like you have been waiting to listen to that album. You answered that question as if I asked you to return some money I lent you. Actually even worse than that because some people can be happy to repay someone. You answered the question as I was a stranger asking you for a huge burdensome favor.

Just adding on. Here’s a Muddy Waters mix from a few years ago by Buddy Peace. I’m sure you’re probably asking why am I posting a Muddy Waters mix by a pretty obscure producer when I could just post the album from Muddy Waters? (well maybe if you’ve seen my posts in the music threads you would ask that question). But I’ll be honest (as I always am) although I had heard of Muddy Waters, I never until this mix came out heard his stuff well except when used as samples on other hip hop songs. Anyway hip hop being such a huge mix of all music genres is the way a lot of people are introduced to other music genres. That’s one reason hiphop is my favorite music genre. It opens you up to all other genres because it samples all other genres.

Here is the details on this Muddy Waters mix written by Buddy Peace himself.

‘Electric Mud’ and ‘The Howlin’ Wolf Album’ are pretty much perfect to me. I could happily sit and listen to both on rotation for longer than would be considered regular or healthy. I have done just that on many occasions, in fact. 

So with this in mind, my instinct to dissect and forensically examine the music I truly love was too hard to resist and ultimately, this led to what you have here. These are two albums that to me, if I may put them in a modern perspective, bang relentlessly and thoroughly in every way and I love them so hard. It felt like it would be too easy to just snatch straight up loops from them (although that would sound wonderful of course), and I had the thought of making some re-edits in some way or another, but I decided on reconstructing them both and blending them together in that way. 

This is produced from well over 750 chops of both albums combined. 

If you haven’t yet heard ‘Electric Mud’ by Muddy Waters, or ‘The Howlin’ Wolf Album’, I cannot recommend them highly enough. Try and find them on vinyl if you can- trust me. If not, get yourself the CDs. If you are already familiar with both albums, I hope you enjoy what I’ve created from them. 

Every chop made with care and respect. 

Every step programmed with love. 

Please spread this around if you enjoy (with a link to this page), I would really appreciate that. 

You’re the best. Thank you. 

-Buddy Peace

a1464072206_10.jpg

Buddy Peace - “Buddy & Muddy & Wolf”

Bandcamp: buddypeace
Soundcloud: buddypeace

Hey Matt sorry if I seem like ...

https://youtu.be/UrgpZ0fUixs

Numonic said:Hey Matt sorry if I seem like ...

https://youtu.be/UrgpZ0fUixs

It’s all good. No Worries. Also I didn’t tell you why I wasn’t really anticipating listening to that Camp Dark album. When I read a description of an album and the description says ‘‘If you like Portishead, Radiohead, or Bjork you will LOVE this album’‘, it kind of makes it seem overhyped. So much to the point where if I listen to it I’ll be expecting it to be on the same level as the artists mentioned above when in reality its a few notches below. It’s just how I am.

Gotcha, it’s a too good to be true thing.

Numonic said:Gotcha, it’s a too good to be true thing.

Exactly. Doesn’t mean I won’t like it either though. It will just take me a while to get to.

I checked out the Hectic Zeniths record and I loved it. I even ordered myself a physical copy. I’m late on that I know.

mattthegod said:I checked out the Hectic Zeniths record and I loved it. I even ordered myself a physical copy. I’m late on that I know.

Well since you’re late your opinion doesn’t matter, just kidding lol better late than never. Excellent.

I want to add that I hate it when a dope artist releases music and then just vanishes from existence. I found out about this dope producer named Bias in 2013. His record label is called Canteen Records. I think he’s done work with Lewis Parker. Right after his 2013 EP titled Dreamland dropped, he disappeared from existence. No more Twitter or Facebook posts and can’t find anything further about him online. Granted he’s underground but I still expect to find something and I get nothing. Anyway he’s dope, check out his stuff.

Another one that did this disappearing act is Eric Berglund who known as CEO dropped an album in 2013 titled Wonderland but soon after didn’t make a peep. He’s from Sweden. Check out his Wonderland album.

I wouldn’t mind hearing another Radiohead album. I liked King of Limbs but to me it was one of their weakest efforts outside of Pablo Honey. I want to hear what they can do with a new album.

I’ve also been wondering when Fjer will drop a full length album. Whenever she does though I’m sure I will love it. Beautiful Home was one of my favorite projects of 2014.

mattthegod said:I wouldn’t mind hearing another Radiohead album. I liked King of Limbs but to me it was one of their weakest efforts outside of Pablo Honey. I want to hear what they can do with a new album.

I’ve also been wondering when Fjer will drop a full length album. Whenever she does though I’m sure I will love it. Beautiful Home was one of my favorite projects of 2014.

Tone made it sound like 2016 will be an eventful year for Quintic. Fingers crossed for a Fjer LP and Hyperrealism!

houstonz said:

mattthegod said:I wouldn’t mind hearing another Radiohead album. I liked King of Limbs but to me it was one of their weakest efforts outside of Pablo Honey. I want to hear what they can do with a new album.

Tone made it sound like 2016 will be an eventful year for Quintic. Fingers crossed for a Fjer LP and Hyperrealism!

Yes this is very exciting news. I can not WAIT to hear Hyperrealism. Along with Fjer’s LP of course.

mattthegod said:I checked out the Hectic Zeniths record and I loved it. I even ordered myself a physical copy. I’m late on that I know.

Be sure to check out the type one era EP as well. While I agree that it’s not quite on pair with the LP, the title track is my personal favorite Hectic Zeniths track. Beau geste is really cool too.

Friis said:

Be sure to check out the type one era EP as well. While I agree that it’s not quite on pair with the LP, the title track is my personal favorite Hectic Zeniths track. Beau geste is really cool too.

Amplifya’s Tupperware Beats Vol. 1 has some awesome stuff too. No Safe Harbor and Still Here are some of my favorites.

So upon recommendation from the neighborhood record dealer, I’m getting into some new wave/post-punk stuff from the 80s. I never dug it at all and it now occurs to me that it is because the U.S. never really got the cool stuff produced in that style.

Really digging Siouxsie and the Banshees stuff (the Juju album is real). And the Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark early stuff.

Anyone more experienced than I am like anything in this style? Got recommendations?

Revision said:So upon recommendation from the neighborhood record dealer, I’m getting into some new wave/post-punk stuff from the 80s. I never dug it at all and it now occurs to me that it is because the U.S. never really got the cool stuff produced in that style.

Really digging Siouxsie and the Banshees stuff (the Juju album is real). And the Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark early stuff.

Anyone more experienced than I am like anything in this style? Got recommendations?

The Church and the Psychedelic Furs are two of my favorite bands from that era/genre. I tend to like the more pop side of that time because it’s what my parents listened to, but those two bands have a ton of great stuff.

I’ve been going back to Pink Floyd a lot lately. They were one of the first bands that really mastered that Melancholy sound. Sure it had been done before but never like that. Dark Side of the Moon in my opinion is the greatest album of all time because of this. Wish You Were Here is perfect as well. If you haven’t heard those yet then I suggest you listen to them. You will thank me later for it trust me.

Kurupt - Space Boogie has some amazing songs.

Makes me miss Nate Dogg.

I find it hard to imagine a world in which people hadn’t heard DSOTM. If you’d heard it as many times as I have… But I suppose amongst younger audiences there are plenty. I know I never need to hear it again (see also; Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Home Alabama, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Whiter Shade of Pale, etc etc)!

Way back when when I did like them (a bit), always preferred PF’s earlier stuff like Atom Heart Mother and Meddle to DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, etc.

moto748 said:I find it hard to imagine a world in which people hadn’t heard DSOTM. If you’d heard it as many times as I have… But I suppose amongst younger audiences there are plenty. I know I never need to hear it again (see also; Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Home Alabama, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Whiter Shade of Pale, etc etc)!

Way back when when I did like them (a bit), always preferred PF’s earlier stuff like Atom Heart Mother and Meddle to DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, etc.

Atom Heart Mother was always one of my least favorites. I absolutely LOVE Meddle though. It all depends on which sound you prefer.

Revision said:So upon recommendation from the neighborhood record dealer, I’m getting into some new wave/post-punk stuff from the 80s. I never dug it at all and it now occurs to me that it is because the U.S. never really got the cool stuff produced in that style.

Sounds like you should definitely check out The Creatures, Siouxsie Sioux was in that. I’m not a huge Blondie fan (i lean towards male vocals—woopsy lol), but i know a lot of people like Eat to the Beat. I’m a huge fan of The Cure so to me, they’re essential to check out (all of their stuff Razz ).... Oh, and Echo & the Bunnymen (if you saw/like Donnie Darko, you’ll recognize the song “The Killing Moon” from the intro). Gary Numan—Pleasure Principle was his biggest album i think. I can prob’ly think of more if you like… oh! i remember liking the Talking Heads, fear of music i think…? let me know if any of that is on the right track. cheers!
Edit: I’d like to add New Order to that list

I’ve been getting into Tricky’s solo work a lot lately. Maxinquaye in particular to me is a fantastic record. It can be a pretty challenging listen but the amount of creativity on the album is just insane. I like albums like Blue Lines, but I think that his earlier solo work is where he truly shines as an artist. Nearly God and Pre-Millennium Tension are both dope as fuck as well. If you’re into that down tempo type of sound I’d highly suggest them.