close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

CunninLynguists :: Official ‘Rose Azura Njano [LP] Appreciation Thread ::

johnz1 said:Where else on the internet is this album being discussed? Aside from this thread, I don’t see anything else here, or on reddit or anywhere else. I can’t even find more than a couple reviews, either.

I don’t know why, for some reason it’s barely been discussed on here either. There’s been less than two dozen posts on the album since it came out, and 90 posts total. The official Oneriology thread has over 600 posts - granted it’s been around for more than six years but most of those posts were made within a few months.

It’s clearly a shame too cause I think this album contains some of their most interesting, poignant ideas yet but I’m having trouble parsing it all together, and I haven’t seen any meaningful discussion on it (haven’t listened to the DEHH review yet). But I can’t pretend I’m not guilty of not posting/discussing it either. For whatever reason I haven’t felt the need to keep coming back to this album as with previous Cunninlynguist releases, despite the fact that it’s even better than their previous releases sonically, cohesively, and lyrically if anything. Really not sure why - maybe streaming has led to serious musical ADHD but then I still revisit Polymer once in a while.

On the positive side - I have seen at least a few different people name dropping the album as one of their favorites of the year on Reddit which is kind of impressive if you’re familiar with the crowd over at /r/hiphopheads.

Great album and quality as always. Is that Kno impersonating Q-Tip on Ms. Waters? I thought it was really him at first.

Kno is amazing, Deacon is unreal. Features provide great hooks. This is a great project. And this is not shade on any of these folks who all did amazing.

But, saying again, Natti is absolutely dirty on this project. His lyrics were always awesome, but there is not a flawless word on this thing. I love this project and it is amazing, but am literally floored by every Natti verse on it. Goddamned…the way he comes in with such authority on Honey and then just lets the verse tumble over. Untouchable.

I absolutely love this album. To me Oneirology is still their best work together as a group but fuck this comes close. Deacon and Natti continue to blow my mind every time they drop a verse. Kno’s production on this (as well as his singing and rapping) is absolutely incredible. I can’t get enough of it.

Also, I need to talk about Oh Honey a bit because to me that’s the best song on the album. That beat? Hypnotizing. The Hook? Beautiful. However…. when Kno’s verse ends and Deacon comes in and starts his verse off by harmonizing? Instant Goosebumps. That transition from the beat breaking down a bit and picking back up once Deacons verse started was just…. no words.

The other highlight of this album is Jimi & Andre. The way Natti comes in and spits one of (arguably) the best verses of his career with such authority was already incredible… but when that beat switches up and Deacon starts going in? I just sit there in awe every time. Most rappers would NOT be able to do what he did over that production. His verse on Red Bird as well is probably one of the best he’s ever written.

These guys are the best group in hip hop ever. Bar none. It’s not that close either.

mattthegod said:Also, I need to talk about Oh Honey a bit because to me that’s the best song on the album. That beat? Hypnotizing. The Hook? Beautiful. However…. when Kno’s verse ends and Deacon comes in and starts his verse off by harmonizing? Instant Goosebumps.

To say that an always original lyricists is innovating is pointless, but yeah…Deacon built off of some of the great lyrical stunts he performed on Peace or Power with some really great stuff here. “Oh Honey” and “Gone” are both very cool creative delivery.

Revision said:

mattthegod said:Also, I need to talk about Oh Honey a bit because to me that’s the best song on the album. That beat? Hypnotizing. The Hook? Beautiful. However…. when Kno’s verse ends and Deacon comes in and starts his verse off by harmonizing? Instant Goosebumps.

To say that an always original lyricists is innovating is pointless, but yeah…Deacon built off of some of the great lyrical stunts he performed on Peace or Power with some really great stuff here. “Oh Honey” and “Gone” are both very cool creative delivery.

Absolutely. I actually think this is the best thing that we’ve gotten from all 3 members since Oneirology. Given how much I loved POP (my comments in that thread are still true.. I fucking love that album lol) that says a lot.

Their music keeps getting more mature and layered with each album. APOS is still my favorite CL album cos’ I mean does that really need to be explained to a blue school community? But it’s dope to hear their sound evolve. Their consistency is so dope.

It’s them, Outkast, and then everyone else.

Kags said:

It’s them, Outkast, and then everyone else.

I agree 100%. Although I personally feel like CL have the edge and its a big edge. I still love Outkast though.

Are there any plans on a Vinyl release for this album?

Love you guys, ultra respect! I have been a fan for 16 years, half a lifetime now, ever since my brother gave me a copy of “Will Rap for Food” on Christmas, and it was the Billy Bob version! I just sent my cousin, who has been a fan for just a long, a link to “Violet” because you guys continue to be an inspiration and just plain dope. I have so many memories of playing CL for people who had never heard them before, and the reaction is universal, “damn, these guys are nice.” When I tell them how long they’ve been consistently rocking and how extensive their collection is, shhiiiiittt. Keep blessing us into the next decade!

Toka said:Love you guys, ultra respect! I have been a fan for 16 years, half a lifetime now, ever since my brother gave me a copy of “Will Rap for Food” on Christmas, and it was the Billy Bob version! I just sent my cousin, who has been a fan for just a long, a link to “Violet” because you guys continue to be an inspiration and just plain dope. I have so many memories of playing CL for people who had never heard them before, and the reaction is universal, “damn, these guys are nice.” When I tell them how long they’ve been consistently rocking and how extensive their collection is, shhiiiiittt. Keep blessing us into the next decade!

Thanks!

snowy said:Are there any plans on a Vinyl release for this album?

working on it

allegory said:Great album and quality as always. Is that Kno impersonating Q-Tip on Ms. Waters? I thought it was really him at first.

haha yup

Any US tour dates?