close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Dream Vacation

So due to the fact that I am currently in Romania visiting my girlfriend (3rd time being here), I figured I would make a thread discussing some places that would make for a great vacation.

Ever since I started coming here to visit (she has stayed with me in the states a couple times), I’ve kind of started getting this itch to start seeing more of the world. Like I wanna see everything that’s out there (assuming its safe to do so).

I figured we could use this thread to discuss some of the amazing things we have seen overseas or things that we would LIKE to see overseas.

Was fortunate enough to live for a number of years outside the U.S.

I cannot recommend Japan enough as a place to visit, stay, live, hang out. It takes a while to figure the place out, but once you do it is awesome. It is easy to avoid danger and just enjoy the cities. Kyoto, Sapporo, Hiroshima are amazing cities with surprises around every corner. Okonomiyaki is the best food on earth, by the way. I get to go back next year and can’t wait. It is an amazing place. Plane fare in winter is actually not insane (it’s not great, but it isn’t insane), but if you can make it for Sakura, it is great.

My wife and I went to Freeport, Bahamas for our honeymoon this past March. Lots of drinking and chilling. It’s a really chill place, and there’s plenty of fun to be had if you want. We did some typical tourist stuff and wound up at a beach where they filmed a piece of a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. It was gorgeous. I wish we could go back, but wifey doesn’t want to double dip.

I really want to visit Italy, since I’m supposed to be 1/4 Sicilian and would like to experience authentic Italian food. lol I hear there’s some beautiful views out there too, but I’m more interested in experiencing the food and culture, minus the mafia.

Japan has always sounded really interesting, but I’ve never been very keen of many Asian/oriental foods, sushi included. *shrug*

We’re visiting Costa Rica in November, which I know nothing about. Should be fun!

houstonz said:Japan has always sounded really interesting, but I’ve never been very keen of many Asian/oriental foods, sushi included. *shrug*

I can’t eat a lot of the typical “Japanese” food—and, trust me, I did not go hungry over two years there. Their beef and chicken are unreal. Pork ramen is out of this world. I was concerned with food before I went for the same reasons you are. But damn…the food is amazing and we are getting cheated by only getting Sushi in the states. Trust me on the food; it is crazy awesome.

I also lived in Central America for a while. I don’t know what you like or how scheduled your trip is, but if you don’t mind rugged and little English, then Nicoya peninsula is amazing. Also, if you have a spare two days and don’t mind a night bus ride, Granada in Nicaragua is a very cool city to visit and in November might not have all the tourists. Then again, if you just want to chill on the beach and see some butterflys and lizards…that’s a great time too. Either way, have fun. Costa Rica is cool.

Romania is truly a hidden gem. I can be honest and say that if I had never met my girlfriend then I probably would’ve never gone. It’s a bit more set back compared to the states in certain aspects. For example, I actually saw a shepherd when we went on a drive in the country.

The mountains in Romania are absolutely breath taking. Romania truly has some beautiful sight seeing areas where you can just look at the view and chill.

I don’t think I’d wanna live here because there isn’t a lot of money (one of the poorest countries in Europe). However, It is definitely still a great place to visit and I’d recommend it to anyone. It’s a pretty safe place too when it comes to crime and what not.

We were gonna go to Greece (Croatia was also heavily discussed) by car from here last summer with her parents when I was visiting but it was too much money so we just ended up going around Romania which was still awesome. I got to see the Black Sea as well. OH, and how could I forget, we went to Trannsylvania in Cluj Napoca and the city is very beautiful.

Revision said:Was fortunate enough to live for a number of years outside the U.S.

I cannot recommend Japan enough as a place to visit, stay, live, hang out. It takes a while to figure the place out, but once you do it is awesome. It is easy to avoid danger and just enjoy the cities. Kyoto, Sapporo, Hiroshima are amazing cities with surprises around every corner. Okonomiyaki is the best food on earth, by the way. I get to go back next year and can’t wait. It is an amazing place. Plane fare in winter is actually not insane (it’s not great, but it isn’t insane), but if you can make it for Sakura, it is great.

the woman and I are planning a trip to Japan next year. Did you make it out to Okinawa? Plan is tokyo/okinawa

mattthegod said:We were gonna go to Greece (Croatia was also heavily discussed)....

I was in Croatia for two weeks in early September visiting a good friend of mine, and I would definitely recommend going. We started in Zagreb and then flew southwest to the coast and worked our way north. Be prepared for crowds if you go to Dubrovnik, namely the old town (lots of Game of Thrones fans & tours….), and you prob’ly shouldn’t go there at all if you hate stairs. So many stairs lol (no joke)… Split’s gorgeous and was a little less crowded, but might’ve been because school had started by the time we got there. If you like seafood, you’ll love the food along the coast. And if you don’t like seafood, bakeries seem like a staple in every block and those were great as well. I really liked Zadar too. They have this thing called the Sea Organ which is pretty cool—it has 38 or so organ pipes in it and makes noise from the pressure of the waves…. Overall, Croatia’s gorgeous. It has everything; beaches, mountains, waterfalls, islands…. (lots of stairs Razz …) I’m definitely going back to see more of it (and my friend). One last thing about Croatia: don’t be fooled by the sweet taste of rakia (a popular drink/shot there)… That stuff is deadly—never drinking it again lol….

houstonz said:We’re visiting Costa Rica in November, which I know nothing about. Should be fun!

I’m a bit jealous Wink I’ve always wanted to go to Costa Rica… I used to have activities attached with my dream vacations (ie. white-water rafting in Costa Rica, heliskiing in Chile…)…. Enjoy! Would love to hear the highlights.

I want to go to England and France once I can afford it, mainly for the museums and architecture…. Germany, Spain, and Iceland also really appeal to me. Basically, I just want to travel more. Croatia was my first trip outside North America.

2 by four said:the woman and I are planning a trip to Japan next year. Did you make it out to Okinawa? Plan is tokyo/okinawa

If beach life is the goal, Okinawa is top notch. It could be messed up by storms so check the season, but it is great beach island. I didn’t make it over to the side islands, but a friend loved Kerama island in the Okinawa chain. Just as much beach as Okinawa but a little more remote and chill if that’s what you all are after.

You all are making me want to add Europe and particularly Romania to the list (only area I’ve really missed).

Revision said:

2 by four said:the woman and I are planning a trip to Japan next year. Did you make it out to Okinawa? Plan is tokyo/okinawa

If beach life is the goal, Okinawa is top notch. It could be messed up by storms so check the season, but it is great beach island. I didn’t make it over to the side islands, but a friend loved Kerama island in the Okinawa chain. Just as much beach as Okinawa but a little more remote and chill if that’s what you all are after.

You all are making me want to add Europe and particularly Romania to the list (only area I’ve really missed).

Romania is amazing. Cluj Napoca and the mountains especially. I’m currently in Oradea though which isn’t all that interesting.

I’m thinking of going to Japan and New Zealand with my girlf mid 2016.

Been wanting to see both for QUITE some time.

For the money, I would do this in a heartbeat: http://dereklow.co/across-the-usa-by-train-for-just-213/