close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Movies 2015/2016

Figured we needed this. I got way too much to say about the remaining 2015, but for 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVdV-lxRPFo&feature=youtu.be damnnnnn

SPOILER:

giphy.gif

Broke my ankle last Saturday and have to have surgery next week. Had to get a refund on my Star Wars tickets Sad Fuck you ankle, fuck you.

Damn man, that sucks!

I hope it doesn’t get spoiled for you. The Internet is ruthless.

That sucks JTX. Wish you a speedy recovery.

speedy recovery man. Hobble into the theatre post surgery. Best of luck, sir. Also, saw a screening of Hateful Eight… Holy mother of god.

Thanks guys. My surgery is this Friday, so I haven’t been doing much except beating fallout 4 until then. I was supposed to start fire academy too but looks like I’ll have to wait until the next semester. And yea, I’ll be on an Internet hiatus (minus this site) until I see Star Wars to avoid spoilers.

Movies I’m most looking forward to right now:

Star Wars
The revenant
Room
The nice guys
The hateful eight
Batman V Superman
Captain America: Civil War
The witch
The neon demon
The light between oceans
Creed
Krampus

^^^
Creed was dope, really well done cinematography, the plot is formulaic, but that isnt a bad thing. Krampus was good until the second turn in Act 2 (1:15 mins or so). Everything else you mentioned is on my list as well.

Check out Bone Tomahawk (VOD or Amazon) and The End of the Tour (VOD).

Surgery went good. Now hoping for a fast recovery.

The Force Awakens was incredible.

Epic Aesthetic said:The Force Awakens was incredible.

It was def entertaining. It was a legit movie cuz it did a lot of fan service and set up for new direction, more or less. Plot wise, pacing was very rushed towards the end, and the “twists” were telegraphed as shit, but thats probably because you have to appeal to a 5-80 year old demographic. All in all, proper entertainment, and i dug the flick. No fucks ups like the prequels.

I am more pumped for Hateful Eight on 70mm and The Revenant though.

I reeeeally enjoyed it. I’m happy that not every single plot point was spoiled in the trailers like with basically every other movie nowadays. The ratio of new to recurring character time and development was perfect if you ask me. They did enough to flesh out Finn, Rey, and Poe so that you give a shit about them.

My only gripe, the only thing that made me cringe… was the seemingly forced (hardy har) corny flirtation between Finn and Rey in the early scenes with them. Some of that dialogue, and Finn acting childish/lying, just seemed so… blah. It is what it is though. At the very least it could be used to show his development between movies. Then, if they are actually made to be love interests, but Rey continues on her path… That could get interesting.

Also a bunch of other stuff I’m geeking out over, but I’ll save it.

Agree, it did feel a little rushed at times, I would like to see an extended cut. The performances were a little over the top but I guess that’s allowed, predictability was prevalent though.

Ultimately, very solid Star Wars movie and looking forward to the follow-ups. I would’ve like to see more explanation/character development of the villain and the known characters since we last saw them, then again I may have missed things in my first viewing. Also, Star Wars definitely misses Jim Henson.

Saw The Revenant last night. Reaaaal dope. If you’re a Terrance Malick fan you’ll lose your shit over the visuals. It’s well paced, with some normal issues here and there, but the visuals….damn. You feel cold the entire damn movie. Do not watch the leak online, even tho it is an Oscar copy, make sure you see it properly in the theater.

Saw Star Wars for the 2nd time yesterday and liked it even more than the 1st time. I honestly think it’s the best Star Wars film ever made (I know it can’t compete with the historical significance or legacy of the originals - but still..) and pretty much all of my complaints first time round faded into insignificance.

It looks stunning, has great new characters, genuinely funny throughout and keeps the mystery and feel the franchise originally had all those years back. It’s made me excited to be a Star Wars fan.

JTX glad to hear surgery went well. You’ve been doing it for the last couple of years so can you start a music 2016 thread? Or should I start it since I pretty much run those music threads?

Also while I’m here I just want to say I don’t know how they can remake the Point Break movie. John McGingly did such a great job in the original, he was too funny as the boss always riding Utah. I didn’t see the new one nor will I.

I haven’t seen Stars Wars (yeah I know). I’m not a fan. I can’t remember the last movie that I saw that I was completed satisfied with, it’s been a while. Movies just don’t do it for me anymore.

Used to be quite the cinema fan, used to go 50+ times a year. The last couple of years it’s been more like 2 a year. It’s only laziness, I should get into it again. Much like music, people complain lazily about films that “there’s no good stuff made these days”, whereas of course there’s great films being made all the time, just as in music. It’s just a case of seeking it out. I’m not interested in Star Wars (or any other Hollywood franchise), but I’ve seen a couple of the rated current releases; Carol (looks gorgeous on the big screen, but in my very much minority view it’s a tad overrated, it’s a pretty thin tale when you get down to it), and The Lobster (great concept, starts brilliantly, flags a little towards the end, but still worth seeing).

Looking forward to The Hateful Eight too.

Just remembered there was one movie that came out this year that I’d like to see. That movie “It Follows”. Still haven’t seen it though, I will some day. In fact I think I’ll watch it today.

Deadpool also looks like it’s going to be good.

Numonic said:Just remembered there was one movie that came out this year that I’d like to see. That movie “It Follows”. Still haven’t seen it though, I will some day. In fact I think I’ll watch it today.

Deadpool also looks like it’s going to be good.

It Follows is legit for a modern horror flick. The 2nd redband deadpool trailer looks ill. That is my two trailer limit tho before they start giving good shit away.

Hateful Eight has it’s moments. A 90 minute movie tucked away in a 3 hour one. As with PT anderson and Tarantino flicks, i need to watch it again. Read the leaked script last night and i feel like i may appreciate it more on a second viewing. Looking forward to The Big Short tonight.

Numonic said:JTX glad to hear surgery went well. You’ve been doing it for the last couple of years so can you start a music 2016 thread? Or should I start it since I pretty much run those music threads?

Also while I’m here I just want to say I don’t know how they can remake the Point Break movie. John McGingly did such a great job in the original, he was too funny as the boss always riding Utah. I didn’t see the new one nor will I.

I haven’t seen Stars Wars (yeah I know). I’m not a fan. I can’t remember the last movie that I saw that I was completed satisfied with, it’s been a while. Movies just don’t do it for me anymore.

I can start a thread for it. And I hope you see the new Star Wars at some point, because it’s really great.

Saw Daddy’s Home last night. Was pretty stupid for the most part but had a couple moments that made me chuckle. Really looking forward to the revenant next month.

Holee shit a cloverfield sequel trailer just dropped and it’s coming out in March.

JTX said:Holee shit a cloverfield sequel trailer just dropped and it’s coming out in March.

yea john goodman sold me on it. Doesnt look like a direct sequel, but nonetheless looks dope.

Save your cash on Suicide Squad. It was cringe worthy. But if liked BVS you’ll like this, I guess. Story structure is everywhere, editing is choppy as shit. Useless flashbacks.

2 by four said:Save your cash on Suicide Squad. It was cringe worthy. But if liked BVS you’ll like this, I guess. Story structure is everywhere, editing is choppy as shit. Useless flashbacks.

BvS ultimate cut>>>>>>theatrical cut>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SS

Sing Street best movie this year so far.

Ghostbusters and independence day were flaming pieces of shit. My favorites so far:

Sing Street
BvS ultimate cut
Popstar
The witch
Deadpool
Civil war

lmao @ DC making a movie worse than BvS

They really should stop trying to get on-par with Marvel’s cinematic universe.

houstonz said:lmao @ DC making a movie worse than BvS

They really should stop trying to get on-par with Marvel’s cinematic universe.

The first 10-15 mins is a huge info dump, and quasi-copying of using throwback songs (e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy) for the sake of using throw back songs.

So far best flicks ive seen have been from A24 studios or similar level studios:

1. The Lobster
2. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
3. The Witch
4. Midnight Special
5. Swiss Army Man

Hell or High Water… fuckin a. Easily one of the best movies of the year.

Can we just make a thread if we see a movie and like it?

Or just a thread called MOVIES instead of the same thing every year?

Or am I getting old and a message board curmudgeon

worm9103 said:Or just a thread called MOVIES instead of the same thing every year?

Or am I getting old and a message board curmudgeon

Actually I’m all for a Movies in general thread. I’ve been in a funk with movies for many years now, nothing recent ever interests me so maybe a general movies thread will have movies from the past that I may have missed and could possibly like. I say go for it.

On that note, should I approach movies as I do music? With music I don’t limit myself to the popular mainstream stuff and through doing that I have grown to love it where as if I were limited to the mainstream music, I wouldn’t be happy. I am not sure but I kind of feel like I am limiting myself to popular major motion picture movies and this is why I can’t seem to find anything I like. I need more variety. Where can I go to find a larger variety of movies? I actually have an Amazon Fire Stick and can see pretty much any movie ever so if anyone knows a website preferably an ughh equivalent but for movies, I’d be interested to check it out. I just need a larger base to pick from and not be limited to the box office hits and all.

^^^^ watch as much as you can hahah. I am a movie fanatic though. There have a been a lot of good indie flicks this year despite most “major” films sucking. A24 studios has been really hitting a home run in the movie department this year.

With regard to streaming sites like fmovies or something like that, I have to see movies on the big screen or blu ray so I am usually poor as shit because of it. But fmovies is the one I know of. putlocker is the other.