close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music 2016

for fans of Charles Bradley & Curtis Harding… or if you just like some good soul

in my top 5 for the year

026AAD65-E48C-06C2-E0363E867699EC2C.jpg

Aaaand AOTY is decided and set in stone. Polymer is completely ridiculous.

Show’s over folks. Tonedeff made another record. Everyone else can stop.

houstonz said:Show’s over folks. Tonedeff made another record. Everyone else can stop.

Haha yeah man pretty much.

I would be shocked if anything came out this year or the next few years that even came remotely close to Polymer.

Tonedeff has the best album in like 3 or 4 separate genres.

This was set to be the worst year in music that I can remember…...and then Polymer dropped!

“Tonedeff the Musical Savior of 2016”

“What are you guys saying? What are you guys saying?!”

rotld12-150x150.jpg

Nah but as good as Polymer is I’ll never stop looking for the new great music. I’m looking forward to a good number of albums still to drop this year so there’s still a pulse.

I just found out Agnes Obel is dropping a new LP in October and I’m super hyped for that in addition to Kno’s Bones project and the Glorious Heights album by Montaigne and several other projects/albums.

Edit: add to that a new LP by Kishi Bashi in September.

Can’t remember the last time I listened to a mixtape but this one seems like a good one to get in to. This drops on August 19th. Bringing back some names I haven’t heard in a while. There is a free snippet download of the tape as well as a Celph Titled track on the bandcamp too. Kind of raw how this has no real title or tracklisting but the snippet and artists on here make it sound promising.

a0520371121_10.jpg

Sam the Sleezbag & DJ Mekalek - SleezbagMekalekTape

Bandcamp: samthesleezbag

Wow! The time stamps are now up on iTunes for all the tracks on Montaigne’s Glorious Heights album and I just saw that like Polymer her album ends with a 9 minute long song. My hype for this album is at an all time high now. August 5th can’t come soon enough.

Edit: correction, the 9 minute long track is 2 tracks, one being a hidden track. Still super excited for this album.

12510249_10153859170076064_1960072568181561041_n.jpg

I’ve really been diggin this Sunny Winter 2 by Wrekonize.

Summery beats. He sings a few tracks. Raps. Almost makes me want to move to Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQp_bPQlNE

Twatted at him to work with Tone and he RT’d…

For anyone into house, Tomorrowland just livestreamed a bunch of sets from their festival yesterday

DIYnamic stage was hype AF

I have yet to find any recordings of the earlier acts (Johannes Brecht, Adriatique & Kollektiv Turmstrasse killed it) but Solomun brought the noise as usual:

Link

deStructuralized said:For anyone into house, Tomorrowland just livestreamed a bunch of sets from their festival yesterday

DIYnamic stage was hype AF

I have yet to find any recordings of the earlier acts (Johannes Brecht, Adriatique & Kollektiv Turmstrasse killed it) but Solomun brought the noise as usual:

Link

Thanks!... will check these out. Someday I’ll make it to Tomorrowland. I went to Electric Forest for the first time this year, and had the time of my life.

Man at this point I’m pretty much only posting this for my benefit as a bookmark of what’s dropped that I like. Don’t think anyone gives a damn but me. So I’m not even going to bother putting the album covers or source.

There was a bit of a flood of some dope instrumental albums over the last couple weeks from J-Zen, Rob Viktum (now known as Vik Filthy), Fid Mella, and DJ Scientist & Fulgeance.

Really loving all of these especially that new Fid Mella.

August is going to be sick with releases:

Tonedeff physicals ship (can’t wait for that DVD)

Hopefully that Bones project by Kno still drops August 5th or even in August but I don’t like how quiet it is less than 2 weeks away from that date.

A new Young Planet EP is dropping on August 12th. Sure to be insanely dope as usual.

An EP by the sick band Wove is dropping. So riffingly sick.

Almost forgot about the DJ Mekalek mixtape I just mentioned above August 19th.

Also forgot to mention Brenk Sinatra has an album dropping August 5th also

And just found out Elektro4’s long awaited LP (well at least by me) Archaeometry is dropping July 29th.

And my most anticipated album of the year and the album that I am geeking about like everyday for the last few months Glorious Heights by outstanding singer Montaigne drops August 5th. I have my physical CD preordered and ready to ship from Australia. I can’t wait for this album. I am so sure that it will be my album of the year.

Lol at Bones not being promoted or even talked about at all. May as well have just dropped it out of nowhere on the 5th like salo sessions. Can’t wait for next week though. Hopefully Polymer is still shipping early August.

JTX said:Lol at Bones not being promoted or even talked about at all. May as well have just dropped it out of nowhere on the 5th like salo sessions. Can’t wait for next week though. Hopefully Polymer is still shipping early August.

It’s still dropping August 5th according to Kno’s latest tweet a few minutes ago. Kno is about to Ether us! August no doubt will go down as the best month for music this year.

Numonic said:Can’t remember the last time I listened to a mixtape but this one seems like a good one to get in to. This drops on August 19th. Bringing back some names I haven’t heard in a while. There is a free snippet download of the tape as well as a Celph Titled track on the bandcamp too. Kind of raw how this has no real title or tracklisting but the snippet and artists on here make it sound promising.

a0520371121_10.jpg

Sam the Sleezbag & DJ Mekalek - SleezbagMekalekTape

Bandcamp: samthesleezbag

They’re selling a 120 minute 3 CD pack and speaking of Pack, there is a PackFM freestyle on here. This is a beast from the east of a mixtape.

http://demigodzstore.bigcartel.com/product/sam-the-sleezbag-dj-mekalek-sleezbagmekalektape-3cd-pre-order

Sam The Sleezbag & DJ Mekalek team up to present their 3-disc set, “#SleezbagMekalekTape”, showcasing some of hip hop’s most respected artists from the East Coast. Spanning the first two discs is ninety minutes of exclusive freestyles and songs from the personal vault of Sam The Sleezbag—- all meticulously scratched, cut, mixed and blended in true mixtape form by DJ Mekalek. The third disc contains a 30-track bonus collection of unreleased joints and lost freestyles. The duo, consisting of New York based audio engineer/producer Sam The Sleezbag, and Rhode Island based DJ/producer DJ Mekalek, refuse to comply with modern day formats, and deliver nothing but the best quality music. This specially-priced 3CD set comes manufactured in a unique custom Digipak foldout.

TRACK LISTING:

- DISC 1: Freestyles & Exclusives (A)
01. Intro
02. R.A. The Rugged Man
03. Royal Flush
04. Problemz
05. Ill Bill
06. Rise
07. King Magnetic
08. Pretty Ugly
09. F.T. Interlude
10. F.T. (of Street Smartz)
11. God Sunz
12. Matt Fingaz
13. A.L. (All Lyrics)
14. Punchline
15. McGruff
16. CZARFACE
17. Shabaam Sahdeeq
18. Onyx

- DISC 2: Freestyles & Exclusives (B)
01. J-Zone
02. Lord Digga
03. Snaggapuss
04. Jesse Calico
05. Jay Love
06. Wordsworth
07. Oktober
08. Celph Titled
09. Genovese
10. Chino XL
11. Apathy
12. JoJo Pellegrino
13. M.O.P.
14. King Kirk (of Sporty Thievz)
15. R.I.P. PH
16. Pumpkinhead
17. Mr. Metaphor
18. Block McCloud
19. Dutchmassive
20. Brooklyn Academy feat. Archrival & J Sinistah

- DISC 3: Bonus Material
01. The Avid Record Collector - Intro
02. R.A. The Rugged Man & The Avid Record Collector - OG Version
03. Pumpkinhead - Happy Easter
04. Lord Digga - Running
05. F.T. (of Street Smartz) - Freestyle #1
06. Panama P.I. - Freestyle
07. Breez Evahflowin - Freestyle
08. L.I.F.E. Long - Freestyle #1
09. Loer Velocity - Freestyle
10. Stelf Index - Freestyle
11. 2 For 5 - Freestyle
12. Dutchmassive - Freestyle
13. Rise & Bankrupt Europeans - Crazy
14. I.G. Off - Freestyle
15. Hazadus - Freestyle
16. Lord Digga - Digga TD Pt. 1
17. Jay Love & The Avid Record Collector - Two Times
18. F.T. (of Street Smartz) - Freestyle #2
19. Reef The Lost Cauze - Freestyle
20. Matt Fingaz - Freestyle
21. Royal Flush - OG Version
22. Ace Lover - Freestyle
23. Oktober - OG Version
24. PackFM - Freestyle
25. L.I.F.E. Long - Freestyle #2
26. Rise & The Avid Record Collector - Every Emcee Remix
27. Jay Love - OG Version
28. Will Pack - Freestyle
29. Pumpkinhead - Talking In Your Sleep
30. Outro

I spoke about this band’s album last year and they’re back with a new one this year that just dropped. For those that need that heavy riff-fix.

a0645947926_10.jpg

Palace of the King - Valles Marineris

Bandcamp: palaceoftheking
Also on Spotify

OMG! Montaigne put up a sampler for her new upcoming album “Glorious Heights” on youtube! The album is epic! Drops August 5th. 4 more days!

Same for Kno’s “Bones” project which he is teasing us about with the minimal info.

Plus it’s the first of the month which means another new Dezmatic song which is fire. Up on Spotify for stream and all digital outlets except Bandcamp.

worm9103 said:12510249_10153859170076064_1960072568181561041_n.jpg

I’ve really been diggin this Sunny Winter 2 by Wrekonize.

Summery beats. He sings a few tracks. Raps. Almost makes me want to move to Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQp_bPQlNE

Twatted at him to work with Tone and he RT’d…

This is cool. Could totally see Tone and his bouncing back and forth.

This Grizzly Grimace project flew under my radar. It dropped back in May, but dude also had the Grizzly Gato project drop almost around the same time which is probably why I missed this one. It’s short on 17 minutes long but 8 tracks.

500x500.jpg

Japanther & Grizzly Grimace - Boom for Real

On Spotify and iTunes and Amazon.

I know it must look like I post every single release I come across but that’s not true. I don’t like everything I come across and don’t feel the need to publicize what I don’t like, what I like is already too much posting so imagine how much more I’d be posting in here if it included what I didn’t like. So much music, it’s insane.

Anyway I’ve started making a playlist on like Spotify and Soundcloud to keep track of all the new music I like. It’s pretty convenient (wondering why it took me so long to do that) and my twitter page pretty much is a bookmark for myself for the latest music I like.

I might chill out from posting music here and just post on twitter. Kind of pointless for me to post it here and on my twitter. Twitter is more convenient. Twitter: Numonic7 if anyone cares.

I just want to say Glorious Heights by Montaigne is the best album of the year hands down. Edit August 12: Wow! The CD came in the mail today! Only 16,000 km it travelled to reach my doorstep. The best album of the year, hands down.

Montaigne-GloriousHeights.jpg

I can’t believe I’m getting a new release by Kno in addition to this. How many can say they’ve had a day in which their favorite producer and favorite singer released albums on the same day? Not many I believe.

SCRATCHINlikeDJS said:Thanks!... will check these out. Someday I’ll make it to Tomorrowland. I went to Electric Forest for the first time this year, and had the time of my life.

The other acts are up!! I definitely recommend the entire DIYnamic stage’s lineup (Johannes Brecht, Adriatique, Kollektiv Turmstrasse, in that order).

Salty that there’s still no ID out on this Portishead/ABBA SOS remix. It’s flames though.

Revision said:

Numonic said:
Dreamers - “You Are Here”

Soundcloud: dreamersjoinus

Really digging this from a bit back. (yeah: Catching up, still)

They made a full length out of these songs and some new songs. The LP is out now and it’s called “This album does not exist” and it’s dope. CDs and Vinyl for sale on Amazon. Plus you can stream the album on Spotify and their soundcloud.

c12cdb_72c74d49653047c5943c8cb29a2df190~mv2.gif

I’m not posting much here anymore unless necessary. If you want to follow the music I’m following check me out on twitter: Numonic7

Pretty sure no one comes in here anymore but I’ll post this anyway especially since this kind of requires your help, if there is anyone here.

This new instrumental album Zoo by Chairman Maf is outstanding and it is trying to get a vinyl release. Sort of like a pledge number of orders it needs to reach to be made I think. Only 200 will be made. If you’re a vinyl head or even just in to soulfully cinematic beats I highly recommend this album. Check out Chairman Maf on twitter or IG for the link to the vinyl preorder, or my twitter: Numonic7, I know I can’t post it in here. I’m not even a vinyl head but I had to have this masterpiece in physical form. It is also available digitally on bandcamp.

a1110451647_10.jpg

Chairman Maf - “Zoo”

Bandcamp: chairmanmaf

Of course if you’re interested in other music I’m checking out, check out my twitter. August was a dope month. September is going to be dope too, details on my twitter.

I’m really loving the new Isaiah Rashad album. Total and complete growth from Cilvia Demo (which I also loved).

Mac lethal. Congratulations. Pretty awesome

Just posting this for my records.

Artists that recently posted about new upcoming music:

I Know Leopard (album)
Snoh Aalegra (singles)
Maulskull  (album complete)
Sadistik (album complete)
Rituals of Mine remix with Kno & Sadistik
Booda French  (3 EPs to drop)
Lucy Camp (EP in Fall)
Kno, Sadistik and Lucy Camp tweeting about working on music together.

Artists dropping music in October:

Prolyphic (album)
Phantogram (album)
Agnes Obel (album)
Snoh Aalegra (single)
Sammus (album)
Figure (album)
Edit: Child Actor (album)
Edit: Dezmatic/Elsphinx/Jack of All Trades (EP)
Edit: new Mic King (FKA iCON the Mic King) track on the Blastah Beatz compilation.

Best music news of the month:

Montaigne telling me that she has around 200 songs ready for recording.

^Don’t forget there’s a new Child Actor album at the end of the month, pretty sure you’re the one other big fan I know Smile The new song “3 Worlds” fits the new singer better than than anything on the last album, got me pretty excited

amplifya said:^Don’t forget there’s a new Child Actor album at the end of the month, pretty sure you’re the one other big fan I know Smile The new song “3 Worlds” fits the new singer better than than anything on the last album, got me pretty excited

Yes! I like their new single. I remember the last album quickly grew on me. Looking forward to the new LP. Max Heath is really a slept on producer and an even more slept on singer, that Circadion album that dropped last December is very dope.

By the way I found out about Emma Ruth Rundle thanks to you, thanks, I really like her music. I have to check out her previous work.

Numonic said:

amplifya said:^Don’t forget there’s a new Child Actor album at the end of the month, pretty sure you’re the one other big fan I know Smile The new song “3 Worlds” fits the new singer better than than anything on the last album, got me pretty excited

Yes! I like their new single. I remember the last album quickly grew on me. Looking forward to the new LP. Max Heath is really a slept on producer and an even more slept on singer, that Circadion album that dropped last December is very dope.

By the way I found out about Emma Ruth Rundle thanks to you, thanks, I really like her music. I have to check out her previous work.

Nice! I’m still exploring her old stuff, she’s been in a handful of other bands, some instrumental some vocal some heavier stuff and some lighter post rock kinda stuff, but the one I love the most so far is the Marriages - Salome album from last year. So good