close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

General Discussion Music 2016

That new Run the Jewels song is fire. It reminds me a lot of Blockbuster Night Part one.

I’m ready to make my 2017 album anticipation list. Some good releases dropped since I last replied in here. Most notable is the new LP by Prolyphic. He produced all but one track on it and I’ve always thought he was a great producer since his first album, one of my favorite producers ever. I understand to each their own but a part of me still wants to say “why does he have so few fans” (judging from the sales [number of people with the album] on bandcamp, the lack of reviews of any kind [fan or magazine], also I feel like few purchased his new CD from how quickly my order came even though I placed my order a couple days before release, kind of makes me think that they didn’t get many orders. But none of that matters, he didn’t make the music for anyone but himself and I’m thankful that I like it so much. For me, when you’ve listened to hundreds of albums that only a handful of people know about you don’t let it bother you, yet I’m here typing this tldr rant, so it obviously bothers me and it should, it’s telling of how much I like the music, so much so that it’s easier for me to believe that the reason the music has so few fans is because people haven’t heard it, when in reality it most likely is not liked by many. I say that’s a probability because throughout my life I have had little to no success in converting fans to any of the music I like. Not that I care so much that people like what I like, to me it’s more about trying to share that happiness I get from listening to the music but you can’t share feelings (at least I know I can’t). All I can say is I hope people find something that makes them as happy as I am when I find music Iike. Ok I digress with that.

For my own record, a list of artists I like that I anticipate releasing an album in 2017.

Actually this 2017 list is pretty much who ever was on my list this year on the first page that DIDN’T release this year. But one not on that list that I just found out about is a new P. Smurf debut solo LP that he says is dropping early to mid 2017. Looking forward to that LP among many others.

That new ATCQ album is awesome. I didn’t expect to ever hear another album from them as a group but here we are.

mattthegod said:That new ATCQ album is awesome. I didn’t expect to ever hear another album from them as a group but here we are.

I agree, never would have guessed ATCQ and De La Soul would release two of my favorite albums of the year in 2016

New Tribe is that business. We The People… is the anthem.

Now lets see if this will inspire Outkast (more so Andre) to come back and put out an album together.

We Got it From Here will definitely make my top 5 of the year. In my opinion it picks up quality wise where Midnight Marauders left off.

Partly for my record and just for the hell of it here’s my top 10 Favorite Vocal Albums of 2016. No order except the Montaigne album is my #1 favorite album this year.

CypdclxVEAAiQNV.jpg
CypddJyUUAAf3oo.jpg

No doubt Phantogram is in my top too. Huge fan

I’ve been digging that Citizen of Glass album. 4 or 5 of these I haven’t given proper attention to, but have been digging Agnes Obel’s album a lot. Her best work and excited to see her live in March for a first time.

Emanon dropped an album out of nowhere. I’ve been waiting for a rap album from Aloe for a few years, since Death Is Fair single was first dropped 6 years back. Aloe Blacc has had seen some success lately as a singer and its nice to hear him return to his roots with Exile. The url says mixtape so hopefully that means Birds Eye View, the album that Death Is Fair was originally linked to, is still a possibility.

DYSTOPIA-Mixtpe-Cover-700x700.jpg

RTJ 3 is here! It’s a Christmas fucking miracle! (See what I did there?)

^ Whoever decided putting Danny Brown on this would be a good idea is getting put on time out for the entirety of 2017, I’m just sayin’

deStructuralized said:^ Whoever decided putting Danny Brown on this would be a good idea is getting put on time out for the entirety of 2017, I’m just sayin’

100% agree.

Thank god he appears at the very end of the track so you can skip it after Mike and El. Song would’ve been ruined otherwise.

I enjoy Danny Brown a lot. However, haven’t heard RtJ3 yet.

He is the lowest point on the album.

New RTJ is fire…on par if not better than the first 2.

Numonic, I had no idea Prolyphic released a new album, thanks for the heads up. I figured it would be another year or 2 before I saw anything from him lol.

I disagree on Danny Brown being the weak point of the album. I thought he smashed his verse. To each his own though.

Yeah I’m a Danny Brown fan, I think he fits perfectly on this.

Epic Aesthetic said:Yeah I’m a Danny Brown fan, I think he fits perfectly on this.

Agreed. I heard that RTJ were supposed to be on the song Really Doe instead of Ab Soul and Earl but this more than makes up for that not happening.

I was just listening to the new Bonobo album (even tho it’s 2017 and this is still the 2016 thread) and the song Second Sun sounds very similar (at least part of it) to the song Where Are You Now? from To Dust. The start of the song sounds almost the same.
Great song nonetheless, but I doubt there’s something like “contains interpolation from…” or something along those lines in the liner notes.

Leo said:I was just listening to the new Bonobo album (even tho it’s 2017 and this is still the 2016 thread) and the song Second Sun sounds very similar (at least part of it) to the song Where Are You Now? from To Dust. The start of the song sounds almost the same.
Great song nonetheless, but I doubt there’s something like “contains interpolation from…” or something along those lines in the liner notes.

Wow it is funny how much that beginning sounds like “Where are You Now?”!

Yeah that song off Bonobos album does have similarities. Both are beautiful songs though and I appreciate both for different reasons.

I am always loathe to self promote, but I can’t help but think that more than a few QN5 fans will dig this EP I posted a few days ago.

https://soundcloud.com/the-shutter-gate-effect/sets/in-dead-of-night-2017

Inspirations include the QN5 fam, The National, Sigur Ros, Crystal Castles, and Nine Inch Nails.

100% self-written, produced, and performed.

Peace.

deStructuralized said:I am always loathe to self promote, but I can’t help but think that more than a few QN5 fans will dig this EP I posted a few days ago.

Inspirations include the QN5 fam, The National, Sigur Ros, Crystal Castles, and Nine Inch Nails.

Peace.

dude. WHAT?! this is good! I dig the first two tracks on this a lot…thank you for posting it. the sung vocals, and rap, and all production is all you? sounds like 3 different people between the singing on the first two tracks and the rapping. im seriously impressed by this. edit: also the last track is really good!!

@amp - wow…dude, thanks so much! Smile genuinely, that means a ton to hear, especially given everything you’ve done with your catalog.

Yup, all of that is me, from top to bottom. As a baritone I’ve struggled for a super long time to find an authentic voice—especially since there are established singers who I really admire in both the lower and higher registers.

So things can wind up sounding a little bit schizophrenic. The original ten song album was a bit tricky to put together because the styles were so disparate—that same division I think you’re alluding to between pretty, cinematic stuff (1, 2, 5) vs uglier 90s style industrial stuff (3, 4).

That being said, Tracks 2 and 5 are probably the most favorite things I’ve ever done. I’m so glad you dug! Hearing feedback like this really makes me want to go back and finish mixing & mastering the other five tracks.

deStructuralized said:I am always loathe to self promote, but I can’t help but think that more than a few QN5 fans will dig this EP I posted a few days ago.

Peace.

Destruct, this is dope man. Really dig this project. So happy to see you release it. Know it’s been a long time coming. Love the originality and it’s truly you. Not everyone can claim to sound different, you definitely got your own sound.

Leo said:I was just listening to the new Bonobo album (even tho it’s 2017 and this is still the 2016 thread) and the song Second Sun sounds very similar (at least part of it) to the song Where Are You Now? from To Dust. The start of the song sounds almost the same.

Yeah, same sample.

Peace.

So last week, I’m listening to the new NIN songs and thinking to myself, ‘this is really cool. They got back a little bit of their spirit without simply regurgitating Downward Spiral. It would have been cool if more people took some of that mid-90s NIN spirit and did something different with it.’ And then this jumps up on here and it is exactly what I was wanting. Totally original, cool directions, and that last track is killer. Really tight ambience with quality lyrics. Cheers man. Master those remaining tracks, I’m down for sure. Finally: Cool name and good for not being hesitant to rethink not-exactly-political songs for bullshit times.

(Now I gotta hit up Amp’s new releases—crazy busy right now).

tuxedo700.jpg

My fav band just dropped a new EP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vleyRSAuZtc

Tuxedo is what happens when two hip-hop producers realize they both like 70s/80s funk and form a band.