Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Fjer :: THE OFFICIAL ‘BEAUTIFUL HOME’ DISCUSSION THREAD ::

Discuss.

blg_fjer_bh_cvr.jpg height=500 width=500
Fjer - Beautiful Home | Photo: Jesper Justesen

Shortly before the release of 2013’s A New Start, Fjer was boarding in a Brooklyn brownstone owned by a 90-year old woman . It was there that she became inspired to build a floor by floor portrait of a home and the stories of chaos, love and loss contained within the walls. Setting herself apart from her electro-soul contemporaries, Fjer lays the foundation of the record in emotive piano & string ballads to go with the booming retro-flavored 808s and modern chillwave soundscapes. Sampling a plethora of household sounds and noises, Beautiful Home draws you into its atmospheric narrative the second you press play.

TRACKLISTING:
1) Beautiful Home
2) Floors
3) Children
4) Stairs
5) Roof

Executive Producers: Fjer & Peter Anthony Red
Photography: Jesper Justesen

BUY THE EP @: [BANDCAMP]

LIKE FJER @: [FACEBOOK] [TWITTER] [INSTAGRAM] [YOUTUBE]

I’m really excited this thread finally came up. Of all the EPs I’ve listened to over the past couple years, this one really was challenging (good thing). Beautiful Home is great track, but the rest weren’t working for my ears at first listen. But multiple listens and the complexity of this work really sunk in. The parts without music on Floors are ridiculous, the build up from Stairs to Roof which ends on an absolute high point is impressive. Roof ends just perfectly. And that’s all without talking about Children and the RMX which are absolutely awesome.

This EP is awesome. I could see a dozen other artists making a rough draft of this EP and then abandoning it, eating a song for a single or something. But, to take this EP to final product and give it to us is really cool.

Spending today re-listening. Good day.

I’m not sure exactly how much of the production was split between Fjer and PAR, or if PAR was more involved with tweaking/guidance.. But the production on here is reeeeally great. If Fjer put ANY of this together herself, that wows me because for the longest I thought of her solely as a singer.. Production skills on this level are a huge plus. Can’t wait to see what more she has to offer!

houstonz said:I’m not sure exactly how much of the production was split between Fjer and PAR, or if PAR was more involved with tweaking/guidance.. But the production on here is reeeeally great. If Fjer put ANY of this together herself, that wows me because for the longest I thought of her solely as a singer.. Production skills on this level are a huge plus. Can’t wait to see what more she has to offer!

Thanks for all the kind words - it means the world to me that you appreciate the sound I was going for. It works this way: I produce everything myself, from scratch. I write the songs - melody and lyrics, make the beats, play the piano/synth parts etc. I show it to Tone and he will 9 out of 10 times end up tweaking and adding stuff. Sometimes, like on a song like Children, he’ll do a lot of work (I would be a fool not to take his advise on heavy hiphop drums) and sometimes he kinda stays out of it and let’s me work. But he’s always been my other set of ears, which makes the sound that you hear in the end. Hope that was a good enough answer Smile

Revision said:
This EP is awesome. I could see a dozen other artists making a rough draft of this EP and then abandoning it, eating a song for a single or something. But, to take this EP to final product and give it to us is really cool.

It was a hard code to crack - I’m so glad you appreciate the theme, sounds and choices made to put together a conceptual record. Makes me want to attempt at another one sometime in the future (muhahaha).

Fjer said:

houstonz said:I’m not sure exactly how much of the production was split between Fjer and PAR, or if PAR was more involved with tweaking/guidance.. But the production on here is reeeeally great. If Fjer put ANY of this together herself, that wows me because for the longest I thought of her solely as a singer.. Production skills on this level are a huge plus. Can’t wait to see what more she has to offer!

Thanks for all the kind words - it means the world to me that you appreciate the sound I was going for. It works this way: I produce everything myself, from scratch. I write the songs - melody and lyrics, make the beats, play the piano/synth parts etc. I show it to Tone and he will 9 out of 10 times end up tweaking and adding stuff. Sometimes, like on a song like Children, he’ll do a lot of work (I would be a fool not to take his advise on heavy hiphop drums) and sometimes he kinda stays out of it and let’s me work. But he’s always been my other set of ears, which makes the sound that you hear in the end. Hope that was a good enough answer Smile

Stop being modest haha. Make no mistake, Fjer makes a song, produces and records it and then I suggest a few things for polish. SOMETIMES I’ll add some actual instrumentation (ie. the synths at the end of “Long Nights” or the choosing the drum kits/adding scatches on “Children”), but these are just tweaks to me. She really deserves all the credit.

I had nothing to do with 90% of A New Start, but since I was more involved with Beautiful Home, I was more part of the process - and even then… all I do is tweak. Makes my job MUCH MUCH easier as an executive producer, than having the time-suck/productivity drain of babysitting other artists. I’m a huge fan of her work, personally, so it’s an honor to me to be able to chime in from time to time.

Beautiful Home is my favorite track off of this EP. Don’t know why but the lyric “Now someone else is gonna live here” hits close to home (no pun intended). I loooooved the live performance of this song on Youtube, intimate atmosphere + intimate performance.

Man, I did not expect that much input/response. Y’all are awesome. <3

This is still one of my favorite EPs that I’ve heard in quite some time. I think it’s awesome that you’re giving us music of this quality this early into your career. I can’t even imagine how good your first full length LP is going to sound if this is what we’re getting now.

Going back to Revision’s first post, that pretty well sums it up for me. I usually make a conscious effort not to overplay stuff I’ve bought, and I haven’t listened to this *that* often, but I played it the other night, and the pieces just seemed to be dropping into place, showing what a brilliantly executed and ambitious piece of work it is.

BTW I just bought the new release on Bandcamp. Is that a harbinger of a new album/EP?