close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff :: The Official ‘Phantom’ Appreciation Thread ::

td_phantom_cvr.jpg

I noticed that there wasn’t a topic for this EP yet so I figured I’d make a thread for it.

I can’t wait to hear how this sounds as its own thing compared to Polymer as a full album. I think my favorite thing about the EPs is that you can listen to each one and it sounds like its own thing.

What are some things you guys are looking forward to hearing from this?

Also if you have an idea of what the main theme of the EP is compared to the first three than feel free to share.

#1 - That Cover. Easily my favourite of the 4 EPs.

Epic Aesthetic said:#1 - That Cover. Easily my favourite of the 4 EPs.

YES! Dude when he showed the cover during the Townhall on Facebook I was speechless. Maybe even more so than when he showed the artwork for the Polymorph Vinyl.

I’m thinking the TL will be in the same order as it is on the album.

1 - The things you don’t see coming
2 - Phantom
3 - 5 sisters
4 - More like you
5 - Control

I feel like the theme is Tone bearing his soul for all to see.. sort of examining where he’s come from and how things have had an everlasting effect on him. Truly dealing with his demons.

I can write a haiku with the song titles.

Phantom 5 Sisters,
The Things You don’t see coming,
Control, more like you.

houstonz said:I feel like the theme is Tone bearing his soul for all to see.. sort of examining where he’s come from and how things have had an everlasting effect on him. Truly dealing with his demons.

“Ghosts of the past” sorta deal?

So at first I think that Phantom was easily my favorite song from the EP.. but with more listens Control is starting to become my favorite. It just might be the best thing Tone has ever written and composed.

I also can relate to the song More Like You but more so in the sense of having a parent or family member that I resent. Yet at the same time, I have a lot in common with that person and it fucking kills me.

Good call Matt, this needed a thread!
I also agree with JTX on the track order likely being the same as on Phantom - now that we have the final album order of the tracks, and assuming there are no additional tracks (*), it seems to make the most sense.

Now the questions:

• Are there any additional tracks?

I’m thinking not, as I’m pretty sure we were told “All tracks from Phantom are on Polymer”..

• Are they the same, slightly modified or with different beats?

Perhaps if these were the final songs Tone worked on, then they were completed in final (i.e album) form. This seems likely but at the same time, I can’t imagine Tone giving us a CD that’s essentially a playlist, with a fantastic cover.
I’m happy either way, because I love the Phantom tracks on Polymer, but I can’t wait for the physicals to arrive…

So for years now I’ve been wondering what Tone meant by the final EP bringing everything together. In some ways it was obvious, but I was still mystified by the possibilities.

What it does is give the album context. It frames all of it’s ideas together to create one purpose. It also somehow manages to completely overshadow songs that were behemoths on their separate EPs. The Phantom songs are by far the biggest “moments” on the project to the point it almost (not really, but almost) makes some other tracks seem like filler (ok not at all, but you know what I mean hopefully).

Phantom also forms the soundscape for the entire project. The songs that were cut from EPs wouldn’t have fit.

Removed from the album, Phantom as an EP is terrifying. It’s 5 absolute masterpieces squeezed into a tiny package. If I really had to show off Tone’s work to someone with a short attention span, surely this EP would be the way to go?

Rhys said:Good call Matt, this needed a thread!
I also agree with JTX on the track order likely being the same as on Phantom - now that we have the final album order of the tracks, and assuming there are no additional tracks (*), it seems to make the most sense.

Now the questions:

I’m thinking not, as I’m pretty sure we were told “All tracks from Phantom are on Polymer”..

Perhaps if these were the final songs Tone worked on, then they were completed in final (i.e album) form. This seems likely but at the same time, I can’t imagine Tone giving us a CD that’s essentially a playlist, with a fantastic cover.
I’m happy either way, because I love the Phantom tracks on Polymer, but I can’t wait for the physicals to arrive…

Phantom as an EP is meant to bring the entire album together from my understanding. It’s basically the glue that holds it together. Since that’s the case it wouldn’t surprise me if Phantom was in the same order as the 5 songs were on the album.

Plus if you listen to those 5 songs in the same order as they are on the album.. it sounds like that’s the order they’re supposed to be in. I could be wrong and maybe the CD will have an even more cohesive track list.

The Phantom tracks are some of my all time fave Tonedeff songs at this point…I’d love to hear more of his work in that vein.

mattthegod said:

Rhys said:

Now the questions:

Phantom as an EP is meant to bring the entire album together from my understanding. It’s basically the glue that holds it together. Since that’s the case it wouldn’t surprise me if Phantom was in the same order as the 5 songs were on the album.

Plus if you listen to those 5 songs in the same order as they are on the album.. it sounds like that’s the order they’re supposed to be in. I could be wrong and maybe the CD will have an even more cohesive track list.

A thing I noticed regarding the tracklist of Phantom: if the tracks will appear in the same order on the EP as they do on the album - which I suppose they will - that will mean Phantom will be the only EP of the four that has a parenthesis in track #4 rather than #3 - More Like You (feat. Fjer). I’m honestly quite surprised that Tone’s OCD would allow this; I was convinced that it was done as a deliberate pattern!

Friis said:

mattthegod said:

Rhys said:

Now the questions:

A thing I noticed regarding the tracklist of Phantom: if the tracks will appear in the same order on the EP as they do on the album - which I suppose they will - that will mean Phantom will be the only EP of the four that has a parenthesis in track #4 rather than #3 - More Like You (feat. Fjer). I’m honestly quite surprised that Tone’s OCD would allow this; I was convinced that it was done as a deliberate pattern!

In regard to the whole OCD thing.. if that were the case then that means the 3rd track on each EP also wouldn’t make the album… but this isn’t true. It all depends.

mattthegod said:

In regard to the whole OCD thing.. if that were the case then that means the 3rd track on each EP also wouldn’t make the album… but this isn’t true. It all depends.

I’m not saying every decision in regard to the tracklisting should necessarily follow a certain pattern. My point is, for three EPs in a row to share that similarity seems too noteworthy to be a coincidence - especially considering that Tone rarely do anything at random.

mattthegod said:

Epic Aesthetic said:#1 - That Cover. Easily my favourite of the 4 EPs.

YES! Dude when he showed the cover during the Townhall on Facebook I was speechless. Maybe even more so than when he showed the artwork for the Polymorph Vinyl.

“The jenga pieces were fucked from the start.”

Yeah.. I think Control is starting to become my favorite track from the EP and the album as a whole. I’ve never heard a song that well done before.

Carried over from the main Polymer thread:

deStructuralized said:

Kags said:I like how the Phantom cover the guy is a bunch of Jenga pieces.

The Jenga pieces were fucked from the start.

And those fingers prying said pieces out from him. Absolutely sinister.

I hadn’t noticed the fingers plucking pieces out of the person, nor noticed the mask until Epic pointed it out. Guess I wasn’t properly paying attention this time, but that cover really works well with the themes presented in Phantom.

Very well thought-out and excellently drawn!

For the record I just wanted to say that I completely agree with Timos point on Phantom being absolutely terrifying as its own thing. To basically take the 5 best tracks (in my opinion) off of the album and make an EP out of it is crazy to me.