close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff YouTube to Promote Polymer

I was thinking we can help the marketing of this album with ideas in this thread using two fronts. Viral videos are the lottery tickets to exposure nowadays.

You know those videos that musicians, usually a cappella artists, do when they edit themselves performing every part of the song and present it in Brady Bunch type boxes? People marvel at their talent and it becomes like a little live music video of a cover. I think Tone would kill this and it would really showcase how talented he is.

Imagine he did one of those type of videos for Sunrise. I think he’d truly get a lot of exposure. One box being the drums, the other the synth, one the lead vocal, harmonies/adlibs. Then outta nowhere he shows you he’s an absurd emcee. The outro in the end?

Then if it got a bunch of views he can go onto the next track because there are truly a lot of songs on this album that work well with that format of video especially when he’s pretty much responsible for every note and sound on the album.

———
Another thing could be what us fans can do. Sometimes fan videos get so much exposure for an artist. Any ideas?

If you stream, make skate videos, snap, do instagram videos etc you could always play Tone in the background.

(Back in the Hunter era I considered streaming CS:GO on Twitch and having And They Watched Him as my opener, and Competitive Nature as my closer.)

Lyric videos are always a thing - plenty of people still use Youtube to listen to songs, as opposed to Spotify / Bandcamp.

Fan videos are dope, too - thinking of the unfinished Dance For Me video from a few years ago.

I really like that idea Kags. I think Tone would find a way to do it different enough that it wasn’t a shameless copy. It would also just be a different way of appreciating his music, seeing him perform it live but in a privately rehearsed setting. These types of videos always appeal to me from other artists.

Tone needs to show off his charisma on camera more imo. A huge part of Tone is his sense of humour and playfulness - something that doesn’t really feature on Polymer that much.

I think what could be cool would be a video breaking down Tonedeff’s lyrics, especially his rhyme schemes. A lot of people get super impressed by complex rhyme schemes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooOL4T-BAg0 - I know that video is of Eminem but it made a lot of people even bigger fans or more impressed.

This guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JSmuxAUSlA) is cool too and I’ve already asked him to do a Tonedeff video and he said he’s down and he’s a big fan, but he has a lot of artists people request him to do and understandably he’s going to focus on the biggest guys first. I suppose a bunch of us could comment and bug him to do Tonedeff.

Might be best to have one of us do it. I actually already color coded the rhyme scheme for “Control” (vaEUnfD.jpg) which is probably his most complex work but I’m just too shy to do a video on youtube for everyone lol.

Epic Aesthetic said:I really like that idea Kags. I think Tone would find a way to do it different enough that it wasn’t a shameless copy. It would also just be a different way of appreciating his music, seeing him perform it live but in a privately rehearsed setting. These types of videos always appeal to me from other artists.

Tone needs to show off his charisma on camera more imo. A huge part of Tone is his sense of humour and playfulness - something that doesn’t really feature on Polymer that much.

I don’t have snapchat, but what ive seen posted on IG and Twitter, i think you get the classic Tone charisma…

...also stay tuned… it’s there. (i cant say more)

I realize it’s something Tone and the board might be resistant to—we tend to be on the conservative end of the spectrum when it comes to the ludicrousness of social media / reality TV—but I honestly thing an occasional “Tonedeff plays…” Twitch stream would be gold for several reasons.

First off, as Epic mentions—dude’s an entertaining fellow in his own right. Between his voice, personality & sense of humor he’d be able to attract a following on his own merits fairly easily.

Second, we know he’s got a stack of games he’s been wanting to get through post-Polymer. Why not relax / have fun while turning that into marketing for the album?

Third—and take this however you will—I think people tend to love the “every day man” aspect of Twitch streams. There’s an element of “this guy’s just like me!” that keeps people coming back. I think that could be used to Tone’s benefit, where a viewer would get into Tonedeff as a regular person, read his Info to find out more, casually click a link to the bandcamp page…boom. “Whoa! He’s also a really dope musician!”

Fourth, dude has the rights to his own music and therefore could play Polymer as much as he wants while he streams. People in Twitch chat ask for song titles all the time. That’s free advertisement right there. Not only that, he could slide in remixes / instrumental versions on the sly to keep the blue schoolers tuned in for exclusives, and either (1) not worry about leaks because it’s stream quality or (2) upload those highlight clips to YouTube himself to keep the hype train going.

Fifth, guests on the stream. Enough said?

Sixth, there’s always a chance that Tone could build enough of a following this way that fans start doing the advertising for him. The number of viral fan-generated videos *about* streamers out there is insane. Examples:

imagine this with Tone’s laugh
Imagine dude struggling through Dark Souls

I think that idea is incredible DeStruc and for all the reasons you mentioned. Tone talked about playing SFV and I’d be more than up for watching that and seeing how good/bad he is.

I’ve said lots here that as much as I love the intense, drawn out art projects Tone has done in Archetype and Polymer - I wish he did some more stuff that required less effort on his part and therefore allowed us to connect with him more often.. which is exactly why TACM was incredible to me (and hopefully it’s gonna be back?). I know Tone has hinted at things on the horizon and so has 2 by four above.. but I’m just hammering the point home haha

what is twitch? videos of other people playing video games?

is this what the world has come to…

To be positive, tho—I think Kags idea would be awesome.

Especially for Sunrise. And then get vids of Deacon, Kokayi, Steph, etc etc for the final choir climax of the song. Epic…

Worm! Whattup sir

Yeah, let’s see how Tone feels about it. I think it really does have potential. I’ll send him a message to read up on this thread.

Can we all do an e-team flood on the next Needle Drop review? His comment section is always full with what he should review next. On the next one he drops let’s let Fantano know TONEDEFF - POLYMER. We can link the review of whatever he critiques next onto here and then everyone can flood the section because it’s actually an appropriate setting for fans to just let their fandom be heard.

worm9103 said:what is twitch? videos of other people playing video games?

is this what the world has come to…

People watch people playing sports, cooking, renovating homes etc.

It’s not that weird when you really think about it.. it’s just that video games as an entertainment medium is still so young that there’s a lot of stigma attached to it. Realistically as a kid I used to love watching people play video games for whatever reason and I still occasionally watch videos of people playing to see how to beat a boss, or get tips on how to play online.

@Kags.. Absolutely! I mirror whoever said they’re not the biggest fan of him sometimes, because I think he gets some stuff incredibly wrong.. but he no doubt has a decent following and would at the very least be impressed by aspects of Polymer. If you wanted to champion an official push on a certain video?

Word! I could not have described that any better, Epic.

At the very least, it’s no weirder than any other form of “people watching” that is considered entertainment. What are films? Why would you watch people pretend to be people they’re not when you could go out and live life instead? What’s recorded music? Why would you pretend to listen to a live performance when you could actually go out to a show? Etc.

You even see it nowadays: folks are salty AF about Pokemon GO. Truth is, unless you happen to abstain from any and all forms of entertainment, we’re all complicit to some extent with what is more or less the modern day equivalent of a gladiator’s arena.

The only question that really matters is, can you use the medium in a way that’s meaningful & honest?

So it’s like reality tv…kinda?

I would love to watch Tone renovate a home, actually. Been watching a ton of HGTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw9gtldMQfs

Here is The Needle Drop’s most recent review. EVERYONE GO REQUEST TONEDEFF - POLYMER

Let’s do it! Just dropped a comment.

^ ditto

There’s so many BS comments of people nagging him about doing a Schoolboy Q review and being dickheads about it. -_-

Commented on a few of his videos.

He just released his Blank Face review so that’s sure to get a lot of attention- I already commented asking him to review Polymer so go and like that!

tak08810 said:He just released his Blank Face review so that’s sure to get a lot of attention- I already commented asking him to review Polymer so go and like that!

I just did the same! Let’s hope we can get him to review it.

might also be a good idea to tweet him @theneedledrop

I train basketball players and sometimes put together some videos of the training sessions.

I have an instagram page specifically for the hoop stuff I do. Here are a few I posted today using Tonedeff Polymer music. Figured it could help spread word. Unfortunately the app I use to edit makes the quality of the videos worse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIJNmXyAg0U/?taken-by=hooparts
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIJXHYWgOpa/?taken-by=hooparts
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIJYlM_A5-A/?taken-by=hooparts
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIJb0dGA-b0/?taken-by=hooparts

Absolutely nuts, kids have got crazy moves. Hill drills / Phantom was my favorite. I’ll have to pick your brain sometime about coaching methodology.

Good vids!