close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Lucy Camp :: THE OFFICIAL ‘WHISPERS’ APPRECIATION THREAD ::

My new working theory is that at least the majority of this record is written from the perspective of The Heart as it watches Lucy try to navigate the world.

Tonedeff said:

Numonic said:Speaking of repeat, bandcamp needs to add a repeat button to it’s app. I know I can download my purchase and play it on an app that allows repeat but space on my device is limited so I use the bandcamp streaming app, but I play music when I’m driving and having to open the app to repeat the EP isn’t all that safe while I’m driving. A simple repeat button addition to the bandcamp app would mean a lot. Ok that was totally off topic.

I tweeted about this issue and I got this email from Bandcamp haha:

“Hi there,

We saw your tweet about repeat buttons and we wanted to reach out. We actually have one! If you’re playing an album in the Bandcamp app, just click the “now playing” bar at the bottom of the page to launch the player controls. There you’ll find shuffle and repeat buttons alongside the typical play/pause/skip buttons.

Hope that helps,
RK”

Oh Shit! Thanks Tone!

Any word on when the physicals will ship? I’m really keen to crack on and listen to this, but Bandcamp doesn’t seem to have acknowledged my preorder, I can’t see it in my collection despite the Paypal receipt having been emailed to me… is anyone else having this issue?

Drutopia said:Any word on when the physicals will ship? I’m really keen to crack on and listen to this, but Bandcamp doesn’t seem to have acknowledged my preorder, I can’t see it in my collection despite the Paypal receipt having been emailed to me… is anyone else having this issue?

I think this could’ve been the case if you ordered the CD directly through the LucyCamp.com page/Quintic that originally had a link to Bandcamp, THD video, etc.. but was not “through” Bandcamp. I stumbled upon the same issue and just bought the digital copy.

houstonz said:

Drutopia said:Any word on when the physicals will ship? I’m really keen to crack on and listen to this, but Bandcamp doesn’t seem to have acknowledged my preorder, I can’t see it in my collection despite the Paypal receipt having been emailed to me… is anyone else having this issue?

I think this could’ve been the case if you ordered the CD directly through the LucyCamp.com page/Quintic that originally had a link to Bandcamp, THD video, etc.. but was not “through” Bandcamp. I stumbled upon the same issue and just bought the digital copy.

Same. I couldn’t wait haha.

The livestream q&a yesterday was fun. She didn’t seem to be in the best mood but it makes sense with some of the weird questions going around. It’s YouTube after all lol so it’s to be expected.

deStructuralized said:My new working theory is that at least the majority of this record is written from the perspective of The Heart as it watches Lucy try to navigate the world.

This is a really fun way to listen to Whispers. The ending on ‘Found’ gets….a twist (?) and lots of other parts get some odd double meaning. Maybe she talked about this in the live stream, maybe it is the approach or maybe not, but either way—cool way to listen.

The complexity in every song is really cool. ‘Found’ is growing on me because of the twists in that second verse. Just great to listen to some really complex stuff.

If you guys have wack ass car speakers like I do that can’t seem to handle the theatrical genius that is this EP… be careful haha. I had to drive home from PA today so I had a few hours to give Whispers some repeat listens. I turned the bass up as soon as it got to the title track (I ended up doing this for the entire EP after a while) and EVERYTHING started rattling. I almost damaged my speakers during this process.

To put this in perspective for you guys that think I might be exaggerating… not even 2001 by Dr Dre has this result. Not even when it gets to Xxplosive.

In conclusion… this EP is phenomenal and Tone needs more credit for his mixing capabilities. We always give him credit for everything else but we never give him credit for how clean and precise his mixes sound. It’s pretty incredible.

Revision said:

deStructuralized said:My new working theory is that at least the majority of this record is written from the perspective of The Heart as it watches Lucy try to navigate the world.

This is a really fun way to listen to Whispers. The ending on ‘Found’ gets….a twist (?) and lots of other parts get some odd double meaning. Maybe she talked about this in the live stream, maybe it is the approach or maybe not, but either way—cool way to listen.

Her answer was basically a coy, “it’s no fun if I confirm or deny anything for y’all :>” haha

But I agree with you, at the very least it’s a fun way to listen to the record. Here are a few other nuggets that perked my eyebrows:

Whispers
Heart palpitations / WebMDing (haha)

My violent terms are momentous
Not real but they could’ve been eventful, they could’ve been essential
They could’ve been effective
[...]
Checking on me I am never checking you so what you browsing for?

See: QRS wave

Had I not’ve been a non-aggressive little girl who cross s’s
[...]
I bounce most quicker than the hop in the hip
Flow thicker, floating, I’m going off when I dip
Me at the top drop plop when I hit

There seems to be a recurring motif of dissociation through the record - i.e. the heart feels that it is “used” for the sake of art, yet rejected when “it” causes the artist pain.

Maybe you’re not about what you spit but based off what your bars consist
Your mouth’s where you throw garbage in
Artery clogging phrases
Bargaining off my wages
Take what I have when you want it and you never had to work for it

“Names” are a recurring theme in Lucy’s music in general—which makes this a reach for the “heart” motif. But think of all the words this could describe, especially in the context of a misunderstood heart: hurt (as in source of pain), hard (as in cold), art (see above quote), wh*re (this one is purposefully omitted in Salt)

And if you really wanna put my name in your mouth then the least you could is say it right
Night

Low
Lucy mentioned on her livestream that watching her mother inspired a lot of her songwriting for this record. There’s a sacredness to that which makes me hesitate to project alternative meanings onto the following verse. That said, the daughter in these songs repeatedly takes up a defensive stance with regards to her mother’s choices. The following sounds exactly like something a heart that’s been hardened & repeatedly rejected from “feeling” too much might say:

And the one and only daughter that you ever knew resembles someone else
You only want her
When she’s something other than herself
Cutting others better help
Say that you got something to say
Fucking tell her then yourself
Lucky if you get the chance to love her cuz she’s never felt
A thing for anyone and I promise you she never will

Salt
See: sodium intake & cardiovascular disease

Verse 2 is ostensibly about a literal threesome (and makes me wonder about the backstory to Sixteen), but again easily be less literal. The three lovers are the physical body, the heart (emotions), and the guy.

Found - The hook takes on especially poignant undertones. The idea of a secondhand heart, one that’s inherited family traumas, or the traumas of past relationships.